• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Campaign: H3>>>>>>>>>>Reach>CE>H4>H2
Multiplayer: H3≥H2>CE>Reach>>>>>>>H4

I don't get the love for ODST at all. Also, H2 was my first Halo.

Isolation is leagues ahead of anything in Halo 4. Except for fixed Haven, I guess.

Reach better than 4 yet you play 4 with us all the time?

Reach is terrible.

I think Reach has the best maps and heres why. I dony play BTB and crap so Boneyard Spire and those maps are off the list of shit I have to see.

I deleted the DLC so I dont have to play that

I enjoy Powerhouse Zealot Boardwalk and Countdown also Asylum remake I enjoy.

I dont really enjoy Uncaged and Reflection.

I cant remember what else I'm missing but when in a party you usually can get one of the top maps I mentioned.

This means I'm usually playing a map thats OK with me. I cant really say that for any other Halo game, mainly because I think Reach has the best voting system, and I think Halo 4 only has one map I enjoy and I get bored of it after three games.

I think Reach has the best maps

Boardwalk

:/

I see your point though. Ultimately, it comes down to which maps you enjoyed more. As a whole, I haven't enjoyed H3 or Reach's maps as much as I have CE and Halo 2's maps, but there were still ones I did like, and even games on bad maps that I liked.

I have a weird attraction to Boneyard. I love it in Invasion (mostly because of the beta), but I never understood why that and Spire were in regular BTB. Reach really started the trend of poor map placement that has continued in H4.

No. It doesn't.

Go play the two of them one after another right now and come back and edit your post.

tumblr_lpsqbp8gkt1qggoofo1_500.gif

Campaign Story: Halo 2 > Halo 3 ODST = Halo Reach > Halo CE(A) > Halo 4 = Halo 3 > Halo Wars
Campaign Gameplay: Halo CE(A) = Halo 3 > 4's Shutdown and Reach's New Alexandria > Halo 3 ODST > Halo 4 = Halo 2 > Halo Reach > Halo Wars
Campaign Exploration: Halo 2 > Halo 4 = Halo 3 > Halo 3 ODST > Halo CE(A) > Reach > Halo Wars
Matchmaking: Halo PC = Halo 2 > Halo 3 = Halo 4 > Reach > Wars
Customs: Halo 3 > Halo 2 = ODST Firefight = Halo PC > Halo 4 = Halo Reach > Halo Wars > Halo CE(A)
Aesthetic Design Philosophy (Music Included): Halo CEA = Halo 4 (Forerunner Interiors) > Halo 3 = Halo 3 ODST > Halo 2 = Halo CE > Halo 4 = Halo Reach > Halo Wars
Sense of Movement: Halo 4 (Increased speed, jump height and Dexterity) > Halo 2 > Halo CE(A) = Halo 3 > Halo Reach = Halo 3 ODST

Overall: Halo 3 = Halo 2 > Halo PC = Halo 4 > Halo 3 ODST = Halo Reach = Halo CE(A) > Halo Wars

heckfu

Banned

I see your point though. Ultimately, it comes down to which maps you enjoyed more. As a whole, I haven't enjoyed H3 or Reach's maps as much as I have CE and Halo 2's maps, but there were still ones I did enjoy, and even games on bad maps that I liked.

Ultimately the best game comes down to the best maps?

This forum is the worst today.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I think Reach has the best maps and heres why. I dony play BTB and crap so Boneyard Spire and those maps are off the list of shit I have to see.

I deleted the DLC so I dont have to play that

I enjoy Powerhouse Zealot Boardwalk and Countdown also Asylum remake I enjoy.

I dont really enjoy Uncaged and Reflection.

I cant remember what else I'm missing but when in a party you usually can get one of the top maps I mentioned.

This means I'm usually playing a map thats OK with me. I cant really say that for any other Halo game, mainly because I think Reach has the best voting system, and I think Halo 4 only has one map I enjoy and I get bored of it after three games.

Sword Base was also amazing. Hands down one of the best maps in the history of Halo. Way better than that Lockout crap.

Too much?

Ultimately the best game comes down to the best maps?

This forum is the worst today.

I didn't say anything about the best game. I just mentioned that what mattered was whether he enjoyed the map itself or not.

You were really trying for that one.

Sword Base was also amazing. Hands down one of the best maps in the history of Halo. Way better than that Lockout crap.

Too much?

God Tier

COMPARATIVE -
Campaign Story: Halo 4 (when combined with terminals & books) > Halo 2 > Reach > Halo 3 > ODST > CE
Other Media Story: 343i > Bungie
Fun & Community: Bungie > 343i (just because Halo 2 & 3 had tons of mic'd up players)
Campaign Gameplay: Halo 2 & more Halo 2 > Reach > CE > Halo 3 > Halo 4 > ODST
Campaign Exploration: Halo 2 > Halo 4 = Halo 3 > Halo 3 ODST > Halo CE(A) > Reach > CE > Halo Wars
Matchmaking: Halo PC = Halo 2 > Halo 3 = Halo 4 > Reach > Wars
Customs: Halo 3 > Reach > ODST Firefight > Halo 4 = Halo Reach, CE
Aesthetic Design Philosophy (Music Included): Halo 4 > Halo Wars > Reach > Halo 2 > Halo 3 > ODST > CE
Sense of Movement: Halo 4 > Halo 2 > Reach > Halo CE = Halo 3 = ODST

FAVOURITES -
Campaign: Halo 2
Cutscenes: Halo 4
Music: Halo 2 with Halo 4 OST 2 a close second
Customisation: Halo PC (Just ditch Forge for a PC editor already)
Multiplayer: Halo 3
Netcode & Matchmaking: Reach
Ranked: Halo 3
Social: Halo 2, clans FTW (Australian BTB clan member)
Marketing: Halo 3 = Halo 4
Objective Playlists: Halo 3 = Halo 2
Multiplayer Maps: Halo 2 > Halo 3 > Halo 4 = Reach = ODST
Single Out One Map as FAV: Zanzibar 1 bomb

PLAYING TIME (multiplayer) -
1. Halo 2 = 10,000's of games with certain campaign mission replayed tons e.g. Delta Halo, Regret, Truth & Reconciliation.
2. Halo 3 = 10,000's of games with tons of multi but limited replays of campaign.
3. Halo 4 = 100's of games (I have two kids now) with now replaying for legendary the (bullet sponge stuff really sucks).
4. Halo Reach = 1,000's of games (kids an responsibilities increased here) with mild campaign replays.
5. CE = Less games but more splitscreen and occassional friends LAN parties, tons of campaign replays.
6. ODST = Firefight was great but a pain without matchmaking, very limited campaign replays.
7. Halo Wars = Campaign twice and didn't really get into multiplayer.

m23

Halo 3 was by far my favorite in terms of both multiplayer and campaign. I didn't play Halo 2 online very much though.

Halo 1's multiplayer was the best because it didn't have online on the xbox. So every time I played, I played exactly what I wanted. Later, when I played it on PC, it was via a custom games browser, and the results were the same: I played exactly what I wanted.

...just saying. Personally, I'm hoping 343 just ditch playlists altogether going forward. Or redefined them as we know it, anyway (clan or custom playlists via a reddit-like voting system using a "custom playlist" browser with ranks, along with better Forge/Anvil world-shaper tool and deeper access into Megalo for fine tuning sandbox balance).

Edit: Everyone has their own idea of what's the best Halo. It's about enabling players to recreate their ideal experience and then allow them to easily connect with others who share the same tastes. That doesn't mean there couldn't be official ones, too, but the whole custom games thing is a huge fail in that it has hardly changed interface since Halo 2 (aside from Forge, but I consider that a separate feature that plugs into the rest of the game). It's just "too hard" to get them going with even teams, etc, and half the people I play with don't like customs because they don't have ranks/progression.

I don't like ranking much, but I'd say:

Halo 1>Halo 3>Halo 4>Halo 2

Not sure where Wars or ODST should go. I never played Wars multiplayer and ODST didn't have a multiplayer. Both had pretty cool campaigns though.

Oh, and I'm on Halo 4. Anybody who wants to play shoot me an invite. FUBAR McDangles

HTupolev

CE >> 3 ~ ODST ~ CEA* > 2 ~ Reach >> 4

*Downrated from CE on account of less awe-inspiring aesthetics (including Classic Mode, which looks like crap compared with the original game running native), inferior audio/visual feedback, horrible split-screen field of view, huge amounts of missing content**, and what feels like added input lag in Anniversary Mode.

**Like multiplayer
and game demos

I see your point though. Ultimately, it comes down to which maps you enjoyed more. As a whole, I haven't enjoyed H3 or Reach's maps as much as I have CE and Halo 2's maps, but there were still ones I did enjoy, and even games on bad maps that I liked.

Yea and how often I am playing on said maps. Reach I feel I almost always am liking the map I'm on and that has a big impact on my experience playing the game. Halo 4 I enjoyed Haven and after a few times I stopped enjoying it and didnt enjoy the other maps cause they were all too big and soulless.

Halo 2 I loved a ton of maps but without veto options I think I really was stuck playing unfavorable maps more often. Sure I enjoyed Lockout but how many times was I forced to play Gemini Slayer til I got Lockout BRs or something.

Oh yea I forgot Sword Base up there. Competitively that map stinks. Donging-wise that map is the best map in the game.

wwm0nkey

Halo 1's multiplayer was the best because it didn't have online on the xbox. So every time I played, I played exactly what I wanted. Later, when I played it on PC, it was via a custom games browser, and the results were the same: I played exactly what I wanted.

...just saying. Personally, I'm hoping 343 just ditch playlists altogether going forward. Or redefined them as we know it, anyway (clan or custom playlists via a reddit-like voting system using a "custom playlist" browser with ranks, along with better Forge/Anvil world-shaper tool and deeper access into Megalo for fine tuning sandbox balance).

Eh no Match Making/playlists need to stay but a custom browser would be very nice. In Halo CE, Halo 2 PC and Murder Miners (as soon as lobby names are in) it is very nice just going into a game and get exactly what you want to get.

Eh no Match Making/playlists need to stay but a custom browser would be very nice. In Halo CE, Halo 2 PC and Murder Miners (as soon as lobby names are in) it is very nice just going into a game and get exactly what you want to get.

See my edit. I didn't mean to imply that there couldn't be matchmaking, I'd actually like this crossed with customs.

The Evolution of Halo

Note: Approximately 20 minutes long.

Thanks, watching.

Edit: Everyone has their own idea of what's the best Halo. It's about enabling players to recreate their ideal experience and then allow them to easily connect with others who share the same tastes. That doesn't mean there couldn't be official ones, too, but the whole custom games thing is a huge fail in that it has hardly changed interface since Halo 2 (aside from Forge, but I consider that a separate feature that plugs into the rest of the game). It's just "too hard" to get them going with even teams, etc, and half the people I play with don't like customs because they don't have ranks/progression.

I believe it was either Frankie or David who mentioned sometime back that they'd look into expanding the options so that people can play what they want. Whether that just means more custom options or a full fledged custom browser nobody knows for certain. I'm all for a browser, but at the same time it would take away from the playlists, and I don't think that's what they'd want. So as you said, some sort of combination of the two would be interesting. Maybe a popular custom gametype/hosted match becomes its own individual playlist?

Don't you want to be able to choose what games and maps you play on?

First off I may have posted this here once before but I'd like to see if anyone likes the idea. Personally I enjoy the matchmaking system to find games and players, for the most part. However I find playlist management, developer decisions and the voting/veto process usually ends in me having to play maps or gametypes I don't like.

Thanks to Waypoint member Viet Honor this should be for social only where ranked is kept as in terms of maps or gametypes being for balancing a fair playground or rank. Ranked matches shouldn't cater for one map for one player style or skill nor should they cater to customs where players are more familiar with player made maps or customs without developer approval. A custom games browser breaks any sense of ranked play but is acceptable for social, however toggles are a better system overall by weeding out junk and involved developers too.

I'm once again suggesting player toggles/filters for maps & gametypes are used in concert with the existing matchmaking systems. Essentially you select a toggle on/off for each of your personal preferences then enter a condensed set of playlists. For new players there would just be "select ALL" defaults and also a minimum number of toggles must be on in each set. This way newer players are ready to go into the largest player pools and fast matching while toggle-savvy players can narrow their matchmaking parameters while being forced a min. pool of maps/gametypes so they don't splinter the population or only ever play just 1 map/gametype.

I just feel maps and gametypes are paramount choices for players, moreover than current choices we have. I have used Reach in this example below:

MAPS:
Boardwalk = YES
Boneyard = NO
Countdown = NO
Forge World = YES
Powerhouse = YES
Reflection = YES
Spire = YES
Sword Base = NO
Zealot = YES

GAMETYPES:
Slayer = NO
TU Slayer = YES
Multi Flag (2flag or 3 flag) = YES
One Flag = YES
Neutral Flag = YES
Assault (2bomb) = YES
One Bomb = YES
Oddball = NO
King of the Hill (KOTH) = NO

OTHER FILTERS
Close Skill = YES
Good Connection = YES

DLC & Achievement toggles
Basically if you have the DLC maps you can toggle them on/off. So overall you set all older maps = NO and only the DLC maps = YES. Matchmaking would then only put you in veto options for those maps. You could even toggle gametypes too so you can get specific achievements.

What I'm trying to achieve is keeping the best of matchmaking system without introducing a custom games browser while enabling individual choices. This delivers what you actually want to play rather than being out voted by the majority time and time again. Overall variety and map/gametype randomness will remain but dilute the inherent flaws of the majority mentality in the current matchmaking system.

Is it perfect? Hell no. Is it an improvement? Hell yes.

Once a full game is matched then the veto options are easier to predetermine and will reduce quitting while enabling player choice within the matchmaking framework.

Players simply tick/untick what they like. This way matchmaking puts players together who want to play the same maps or gametypes and then veto'ing is also more accurate for the options it displays. This gives choice back to the players without removing the matchmaking system itself, which is what a custom games browser would do.

Players getting more of what they want individually while matching globally and not getting stuck with what others vote for out of the hundreds or thousands of permutations matchmaking veto options present.

This toggle system combines the defaults for new players, provide customisation for player choice, keeps fast game matching, keeps matchmaking overall, keeps skill matching, keeps party matching but introduces a tiered layer of player choice about maps/gametypes.

This is NOT simply a relabelled Custom Games Browser. Custom games browsing requires maps/gametypes downloaded outside of matchmaking updates and operate outside of the 343i allowed maps/gametypes and settings etc.

My toggles idea combines the best of custom games browsing and matchmaking to deliver a new hybrid system that is fast and flexible. A small nuance of difference but a very important one.

I think it's time matchmaking took individual choice into account more. Presently the veto system is setup for global democratic choice rather than individual preferences. You're constantly overridden by the more popular choices, which won't align with your personal ones.

That's what the minimums achieve. The minimum selections kept a variety in the voting options and still held true for the one player that bothered to set their toggle preferences. It forces players to select a medium amount of maps and gametypes so they can't just select Oddball on Swordbase as their matching criteria. Say 4 or 5 maps/types as a minimum.

As long as there is balance between choice and minimum player selections I think matchmaking and player maps/gametypes would work very well together. The system as described would avoid just one or two map selections and 343i could always tweak the system through updates too.

Another possible toggle for the idea: Strictness On/Off
You could also introduce another new filter which is to keep "strict or widen" search parameters. Essentially this toggles matchmaking to widen the search parameters the longer the games found/matching process takes. Bungie/343i already do this now by widening parameters the longer searching takes.

Once again this additional toggle would restore player choice at a number of levels and be defaulted to Off, widen the longer wait times go on.

heckfu

Banned
Thanks for sharing.

Why do we always argue about the dumbest things, I fucking love Halo.

I don't think arguing over things like loadouts and starting weapons, weapon randomization, etc, are 'the dumbest things.' If you want a hug fest over halo you may want to try a different forum.

I don't think arguing over things like loadouts and starting weapons, weapon randomization, etc, are 'the dumbest things.' If you want a hug fest over halo you may want to try a different forum.

And your member tag is now ready ;)

Want a Halo-Hugfest? Try another castle.

Was I asking for one?

I'm done for the day.

Huh? It was a joke for Heckfu mate.
I have zero power to grant member tags BTW

Thanks for sharing.

Why do we always argue about the dumbest things, I fucking love Halo.

I love this comment, no issue with me.

On the Sword Base discussion, I liked it better in the Beta when it was clean and pristine. For the final version it had bullet holes and more "war detailing" around the map.

Maybe another top-down decision to make Reach/Halo more like Modern Warfare and other military shooters? lol..

And this.. THIS right here ladies and gentlemen.. is what needs to be changed with the next Halo. These same problems will keep occurring unless players can play what they want, when they want. Give me tons of servers any day if that means I won't be stuck playing what the devs think is fun, what the devs choose to be in MM based on flawed statistics and failed reasoning as to why their choices are justified. What's the point in having an online player-matching network of only playlists when those playlists are poorly managed?

Halo's set up could be something like MM for the developers vision, refining over time while a Custom Games filter exists alongside it. Just because we have Forge and tons of customization options doesn't mean it can't work.

I seriously hope Frankie's words about Halo evolving how players match up and find what they want to play has weight to it. Otherwise, we'll probably end up right where we are today: complaining that the vision of Halo is lost.

Think about it, Halo 4 is the best core gameplay experience and best gunplay with the most consistency we've had since Halo 1, yet it feels less like a Halo game than Reach.. That's not because the game itself isn't Halo, it's because the MM playlists aren't Halo.

Halo's set up could be something like MM for the developers vision, refining over time while a Custom Games filter exists alongside it. Just because we have Forge and tons of customization options doesn't mean it can't work.

I seriously hope Frankie's words about Halo evolving how players match up and find what they want to play has weight to it. Otherwise, we'll probably end up right where we are today: complaining that the vision of Halo is lost.

Think about it, Halo 4 is the best core gameplay experience and best gunplay with the most consistency we've had since Halo 1, yet it feels less like a Halo game than Reach.. That's not because the game itself isn't Halo, it's because the MM playlists aren't Halo.

I hate to harp but I feel my toggles idea above tackles this very issue at its core and delivers the best of breed for matchmaking and custom games browser while still providing that even field for progression or ranked vs. social split.

Further the devs could speed up the community cartographer (ranked) and action sack (social) pipelines to official toggles that change as a playlist changes. This basically irons out all the crap made from customs but provides the community/devs a fixed set of playlists/maps/settings and gives the player(s) choice of what that want to play within that all derived from the community or official maps too.

Force regular updates when those "custom" playlists update, which should be small downloads or done via map packs for that scenario.

No one wants to play Halo right now? :(

EDIT: Got my SWAT up to 26. The last few games, aside from one I quit out of, I have gone a combined 80-20 or so. Feels good. Oh, and Shutout blows. Fuck that map. That's why I quit.

kylej

Banned
finally getting around to ACIII. All I can think about is how good Brotherhood is/was. That game might be in my top 5 of this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom