• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

Halo 4's version is way to pale with those white stones, cliff etc. The green grass is beefier in Halo 4. But I'd not say it is not the next-gen look shooters employ nowadays. It is still very colorful compared to other shooters.

Naa. When is the last time you played Halo 3? Valhalla has much more grass and foliage on the ground than Ragnarok. Actually, as a whole, both Reach* and 3 seemed to have much more foliage on their multiplayer maps than Halo 4 does.

*Tempest in Halo Reach was amazing in regards to detail. Look at the environment on that map and compare to Exile. It's amazing how backwards we've gone

Microsoft just called me to take place in a playtest study. Was holding my breath for Halo or something, but it wasn't :(

I got a call as well. They were seeing if I qualified and asked me how I felt about heavy metal music.

I said I didn't like it at all, and they said I didn't qualify.

I wish E3 was open to the general public. I swear that before they sold Floor Tickets for $500. I'd pay and go if they had them this year.

I'd go and meet Frankie, BS Angel, Josh Holmes, Robert Bowling, Brovo, David Bonahart. <343
Why do you want to meet Josh Holmes? I mean he ruined Halo for you.

Naa. When is the last time you played Halo 3? Valhalla has much more grass and foliage on the ground than Ragnarok. Actually, as a whole, both Reach* and 3 seemed to have much more foliage on their multiplayer maps than Halo 4 does.

*Tempest in Halo Reach was amazing in regards to detail. Look at the environment on that map and compare to Exile. It's amazing how backwards we've gone
Typo at my end. I meant Halo 3.

Tawpgun

I got a call as well. They were seeing if I qualified and asked me how I felt about heavy metal music.

I said I didn't like it at all, and they said I didn't qualify.
Yup, same thing.

I wonder where they are getting our numbers from. Frankie giving Microsoft our digits?

Omni

I didn't. :(

You can call me Microsoft, it's okay. <3 Please do call me.

Anyone mind telling me what the area code for the number is so I can be on the look out?

code-22.gif

Yup, same thing.

I wonder where they are getting our numbers from. Frankie giving Microsoft our digits?

No idea, I might of signed up for something a while ago but I don't remember.

When they told me what it was for it seemed pretty lame anyways, so no big loss.

edit:

If you signed up for MS' beta program I'm sure that's why.

Yea I probably signed up for it so long ago I just don't remember.

Whilst Infinity and Alephs are incomparable (one being the upper limit on all numbers, the other being the cardinality of such sets), I think Alephs will be the only "logical" successor to infinity.
You could ask the question: Are there more real numbers than the highest real number? However I think the answer "yes and no at the same time".

You could always go with the formula
NextXbox = P(CurrentXbox)
(i.e. Power Set)
However that would imply that the next Xbox would be just "more of the same".

You could also take a Fibonacci-esque approach:
NextXbox = CurrentXbox + PreviousXbox
But that would require that this years Xbox be called the Xbox 361. And that just sucks.

Running out of ideas.

This is where our analogy strays. As a concept, infinity *could* describe the number of elements in a set (while technically not a number itself). More than one set could be described this way, for example, a set with cardinality Aleph-null contains infinity elements in its set, but so does R. However there are more reals than there are ordinals, so you denote its cardinality, or its "level of infinity" as I like to the think when dealing with transfinites, as Aleph-one.

My point is that there are more transcendentals than reals, so the set of transcendentals has a higher cardinality. However, as far as I'm aware, there is no official cardinality assigned to it, so we'd have to find a clever way of representing it in terms of other transfinites and cardinalities.

Maybe Wahrer can think up a sexy symbol for us to use :)

I did get to test (and keep) Kinect from it, that was pretty awesome.

Got to keep mine (and some software) as well. People rag on the thing for how indecisive or innaccurate it can be, but let's just say that it used to be horrendous and most issues people have now come down to software laziness.

Current Halo 3 population (remember these numbers are inflated):

LONE WOLVES: 15
TEAM SLAYER: 22
TEAM DOUBLES: 0
TEAM SNIPERS: 0
MLG: 6
TEAM SWAT: 0

RUMBLE PIT: 0
SOCIAL SLAYER: 40
SOCIAL SKIRMISH: 0
ACTION SACK: 0
MULTI TEAM: 0
TEAM MYTHIC: 0
SOCIAL BIG TEAM: 0

7 ON THE 7TH: 0

86 Gamers Online

Edit: Counters must be borked, just found a match in doubles.

Talents

Banned

86 Gamers Online

Oh you edited.

IHaveIce

Banned

86 Gamers Online

Edit: Counters must be borked, just found a match in doubles.
yeah the counters are broken, last time I also got shown there were 0 in several playlists but found matches pretty fast

So I'm playing Spartan Ops Season 1.5 for pretty much the first time. I neglected it when it was "live" I've just finished up 7-3 on board the infinity and I have to say that its actually really entertaining. The objectives have some sense or urgency about them the smaller scale combat is refreshing as are the new environments. The Prometheans are still a chore to engage but that is down to their design.

The soundtrack is pretty great sounding and really helps to set the tone something which I felt it didn't in the campaign.

An in engine cutscene between each mission I feel would have really helped to flesh out the events a bit more. As it stands Spartan Ops feels very disjointed. On one hand you have these fantastic CGI cutscenes that tell what is admittedly a decent story and on the other hand you have a bunch of missions that barely feel connected to those events.

Overall (from what I've played) Season 1.5 feels much better than the first half of the season but is still lacking somehow. If Spartan Ops returns for future titles then I desperately hope they try to portray a more connected and less disjointed narrative.

I will book my flight next month or early June. I hope it will be a better experience than last year. Or the same experience. I am happy to get $850 for a 4-hour delay. :)

How long are you going to stay in Seattle, Gavin?
About 10 days, we want to make the most of our first time in AMERICA BABY. WOOOOOO!
PM'd you the dates.

Omni

They should scrap Spartan Ops entirely and bring back firefight. Give us one new map every week for five weeks or whatever (so they could still market it like they did SO), with the variety of options present in Halo Reach, and they'd have a pretty solid mode that could be played more than once without getting boring.

They could still incorporate the story into Firefight if they wanted to. Like if they gave us a firefight map in the Control room of a Halo, have the cutscene tie into why the Spartans might be there. There's no need to go further into it (pressing buttons in the name of story progression is boring. Just get rid of it)

But of course that will never happen.

Firefight in Reach was awful. The only reason people continued to play it was for challenges, commendations and Xp.

ODST Firefight was incredible. Had an actual challenge, survival aspect, promoted teamwork with the limited lives etc.

Firefight should have not brought in the arcade type aspect in Reach and stayed with the ODST style as the premiere mode. Leave the arcade for customs, and have ODST style for matchmaking.

Fotos

They should scrap Spartan Ops entirely and bring back firefight. Give us one new map every week for five weeks or whatever (so they could still market it like they did SO), with the variety of options present in Halo Reach, and they'd have a pretty solid mode that could be played more than once without getting boring.

They could still incorporate the story into Firefight if they wanted to. Like if they gave us a firefight map in the Control room of a Halo, have the cutscene tie into why the Spartans might be there. There's no need to go further into it (pressing buttons in the name of story progression is boring. Just get rid of it)

But of course that will never happen.

If they add more options to Spartan Ops like Skulls, Team and FFA Scoring, Theater, and other options it could be a pretty solid mode.

But if they do bring back Fire Fight I hope it's like the ODST version. Halo: Reach ruined it. The mode went from seeing how long you could survive to seeing how many points you can whore to boost up your rank.

Firefight in Reach was awful. The only reason people continued to play it was for challenges, commendations and Xp.

ODST Firefight was incredible. Had an actual challenge, survival aspect, promoted teamwork with the limited lives etc.

Firefight should have not brought in the arcade type aspect in Reach and stayed with the ODST style as the premiere mode. Leave the arcade for customs, and have ODST style for matchmaking.

I gave it a brief mention in the OG Halysis HBO megapost, but my ideal Firefight setup would utilize the primary Hub World. Given that it takes place on a shield world, it allows for some flexibility - notably that it would have a Minecraft-style component where the day and night cycle is sped up significantly. During the day, you're free to roam the hub and look for powerups and stuff. After maybe 30 minutes or so, the sun dims and creates a "sunset" sort of effect where the entire landscape is bathed in orange. Sirens periodically go off warning you to find shelter either in a cave or a base or something similar.

You have five minutes to get inside before "Lockdown" occurs. Once Lockdown happens, the sun dims considerably causing a nighttime effect. The home base of the hub, a large Forerunner tower called the Brevi Temporum, looses two or three large blue scanning pulses like how the Didact's Cryptum does. These pulses span the entire hub over the course of roughly 30 seconds. If no organic life (you and your co-op buddies) is detected, it immediately reverts back to daylight. Five minutes allows you to find shelter virtually anywhere at the hub.

If you're detected outside, you're greeted with wave after wave of Covenant, Insurrectionist and Forerunner enemies. Surviving for three Sets will send the planet back into daylight.

To initiate a specific Firefight, though, there are a variety of sites on the Hub available to fortify. These larger Firefight sites are sheltered at night but staying in them will still initiate Lockdown. If you hit a particular beacon at any of the sites, it'll initiate a traditional Firefight. You can utilize a Fast Travel function using the teleportation grid as long as you hit the beacon at said site at least once.

For a more customizable experience, you can also manually initiate a Firefight match outside of the hub in the menus, which allows you a little more customization in enemy waves and whatnot.

Pretty sure E3 was always closed to the public.

Its been in various stages I think.

I think it started as a closed industry event which eventually became an open to the public event but then was later closed and tried to be a more industry focused event and then it was open to select members of the public and now its currently touted as a "professional trade event and is not open to the general public". I know I can get a pass to attend via the GF's job if i really wanted to but I have no way of paying any of the travel and accommodation costs and frankly standing around in lines all day is not my idea of fun.

I think the best way to enjoy E3 is some good food, comfy couch and a HD stream of all the good bits.

TheOddOne

I gave it a brief mention in the OG Halysis HBO megapost, but my ideal Firefight setup would utilize the primary Hub World. Given that it takes place on a shield world, it allows for some flexibility - notably that it would have a Minecraft-style component where the day and night cycle is sped up significantly. During the day, you're free to roam the hub and look for powerups and stuff. After maybe 30 minutes or so, the sun dims and creates a "sunset" sort of effect where the entire landscape is bathed in orange. Sirens periodically go off warning you to find shelter either in a cave or a bar or something similar.

You have five minutes to get inside before "Lockdown" occurs. Once Lockdown happens, the sun dims considerably causing a nighttime effect. The home base of the hub, a large Forerunner tower called the Brevi Temporum, looses two or three large blue scanning pulses like how the Didact's Cryptum does. These pulses span the entire hub over the course of roughly 30 seconds. If no organic life (you and your co-op buddies) is detected, it immediately reverts back to daylight. Five minutes allows you to find shelter virtually anywhere at the hub.

If you're detected outside, you're greeted with wave after wave of Covenant, Insurrectionist and Forerunner enemies. Surviving for three Sets will send the planet back into daylight.

To initiate a specific Firefight, though, there are a variety of sites on the Hub available to fortify. These larger Firefight sites are sheltered at night but staying in them will still initiate Lockdown. If you hit a particular beacon at any of the sites, it'll initiate a traditional Firefight. You can utilize a Fast Travel function using the teleportation grid as long as you hit the beacon at said site at least once.

For a more customizable experience, you can also manually initiate a Firefight match outside of the hub in the menus, which allows you a little more customization in enemy waves and whatnot.
Halocraft.

Frankie, help us.

Omni

If they add more options to Spartan Ops like Skulls, Team and FFA Scoring, Theater, and other options it could be a pretty solid mode.
Maybe. It certainly needs to be taken back to the drawing board, at least. In its current iteration, it's terribly boring. Each mission plays exactly the same every time you play it (much like Halo 4's campaign actually).

But if they do bring back Fire Fight I hope it's like the ODST version. Halo: Reach ruined it. The mode went from seeing how long you could survive to seeing how many points you can whore to boost up your rank.
That wasn't a problem with Reach's firefight, rather 343i/Bungie's awful playlist management. Firefight Limited is still as fun as ever, it's just that it was phased out. It could use some more options mind you (to make it more like ODST), but it's a decent starting point with infinitely more playability than Spartan Ops.

I gave it a brief mention in the OG Halysis HBO megapost, but my ideal Firefight setup would utilize the primary Hub World. Given that it takes place on a shield world, it allows for some flexibility - notably that it would have a Minecraft-style component where the day and night cycle is sped up significantly. During the day, you're free to roam the hub and look for powerups and stuff. After maybe 30 minutes or so, the sun dims and creates a "sunset" sort of effect where the entire landscape is bathed in orange. Sirens periodically go off warning you to find shelter either in a cave or a base or something similar.

There could also be some fiction there about having diverse biomes within a concentrated area for "testing." Would be super cool to have all the weather effects paired with diverse environments like deserts, snowy mountains, fall meadows etc. Would make a great mini hub to play in.

The phone number is 867-5309
If someone asks for Jenny, just say she's currently engaged in a good time.

I played it because it was great to play when drunk.

The way Firefight was handled in Reach was terrible, clearly. There was next to zero support for the mode apart from the meager DLC and one update to the enemy progression. Gametypes other than Limited were dogshit compared to the sheer depth of customization, and the powers that be did absolutely nothing to discourage the credit farming that happened so much.

Bungie treated Reach's Firefight like a red-headed stepchild almost from the beginning, and 343 left it out in the cold to die a hungry, ginger death.

There could also be some fiction there about having diverse biomes within a concentrated area for "testing." Would be super cool to have all the weather effects paired with diverse environments like deserts, snowy mountains, fall meadows etc. Would make a great mini hub to play in.

Iemnos (the what-if shield world) is essentially the Forerunner version of Reach in that it's a stockpile for testing high-yield Promethean weapons and tech so it'd make sense.

Upon nightfall each Firefight site has a huge skylight-style beacon protruding straight up, too. Ideally the hub would be big enough that certain sites couldn't be reached in 5 minutes, promoting some additional exploration. That, and the emphasis on finding cover means that you aren't going to be stuck wandering aimlessly in the world for hours.

HTupolev

Textures are ugly as sin on ragnarok. Seriously

It's not the base textures themselves so much as the bullshlapskie Halo 4 uses to attempt to look more detailed on top of them. There's tons and tons of blotchy, low-quality contour shadows that vanish as you approach. They *do* add detail to the terrain, but they just look like crap.

Halo 4 does it pretty badly in other places, too. Like, it's why the first combat area on Requiem also looks so ridiculously blotchy.

The nextbox rumors make it sound like crap, but I can't help but be excited...

I'm at such a crossroads right now. I would love to play Next Gen Halo, Forza etc, but some of the rumors sound bad :/ I gave up PC gaming for a couple of reasons, not having any friends with one, and having to go to school which would require me to bring that big ass tower with me. I am going to wait for MS to show its hand, but I think I might begin PC gaming again. Destiny alone won't tie me to consoles.

DeadNames

Banned
I'm at such a crossroads right now. I would love to play Next Gen Halo, Forza etc, but some of the rumors sound bad :/ I gave up PC gaming for a couple of reasons, not having any friends with one, and having to go to school which would require me to bring that big ass tower with me. I am going to wait for MS to show its hand, but I think I might begin PC gaming again. Destiny alone won't tie me to consoles.

I just ordered a nice laptop, so I'll play some games with you if you're up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom