• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Have you guys been playing custom games at all in Halo 4? My XBL is expiring on May 2nd and it'd be cool to play some Halo for once.

HTupolev

Also, yes it's late, nearly 1 am on West Coast, but I've never seen the population so low. Less than 50 people playing objective etc. Total player count right now for war games is 9,600 people worldwide. That's just ridiculous for a game like Halo only 5 months from launch even in the dead of night.

Whoa, just looked at the page. It reads 7750 right now. That is lower than I would have thought. But then, it is the unpeak hour...

Funny thing: On Sunday, I went into the Reach coop campaign playlist by myself just to see how it was still doing, and I wound up getting quickly matched into a 4-player game. Tried it again today, but it took a few minutes to get me into a 2-player game. Go figure. xD

Madness

Yeah its an unpeak hour, but damn, seeing like 36 people in Team Objective is just ridiculous.

I enjoyed the castle dlc matches. Don't know why the disable and hijack achievement didn't work for me. On banshee or Warthog. Must be ghost only.

Once a few people quit out, I didn't really care much for the K/D or win/loss, I let a few people destroy my mongoose and stuff on purpose, let them get achievements. Brought out HLS for two people. They're pretty dumb though, I'll put up the shield and turn my back and yet they'll shoot me before they realize what I'm doing. And then by time they get to assassinate me, shield was gone.

I don't know why, even though CSR launched, I still don't have as big an urge to care. I never use the site, only use the app to enter codes, I don't even know what I'm at for most lists.

We should probably take a PAX head count at some point. Maybe organize a HaloGAF night at the bars. (Babby juniors LOLOL)
But... I am... going to be 21 25 days after PAX Prime :( I do not want to sit next to the babbys! Damn you American laws...

We should plan a HaloGAF new york trip again. Was fun. Will Bungie have a presence at NYCC? lol.

Why.. at 4:56 am did I just remember that Josh Holmes had a huge hand in ruining Turok?

RIP Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

Josh 'Battlefield:if it aint broke don't fix it' Holmes

Creative director of Halo 'flinch, killstreaks, instant respawn, adhesive flag pole' 4

DMR red reticle range reduction is a start but is that scoped or unscoped? Scope reduction would be optimal but if not then I'd just go for an aim assist or bullet magnetism lowering. I agree with uhas from a few pages back that the light rifle's problem is when unscoped rather than scoped. That and the fact that it seemingly has a more severe flinch (confirmed?) than the other rifles.

Their prospective changes to the AR and such are entirely misguided and potentially very damaging to gameplay, particularly when the quarters are closer and the player count is higher (think multiteam with everyone wielding semi-saw's while you're trying to be precise). It's encouraging that it's seeing an aim assist reduction but the AR is already an extraordinarily strong weapon. Its stopping power and resistance to strafing mark it as a major irritant on smaller maps. The fact they feel obligated to strengthen it further points to another negative of the loadout system; because the AR's designation is 'primary' it somehow needs to justify itself against precision weapons which have always been superior and always will. Not all weapons were born equal and they should stop trying to even them out for useless categorization.

Very good news that these changes will global though, nobody wants the mess Reach became again.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
So they are increasing the damage of the AR by 25-40%, I guess it depends just how much they reduce the auto aim as to how that will play out. Personally I thought it was already pretty powerful in terms of kill times and overly good at range for the skill required to use it (almost none).

I think a potentially good mechanic to add to automatic weapons would be a proper recoil system like counter strike that is controllable and completely consistent. So for example as you spray, the bullets go up, then right, then left and if the player wants to have a tight shot grouping they have to counter the recoil accurately and with good timing. That would actually create a skill gap for these weapons rather than them being almost an auto-kill weapon in certain situations.

Or another possibilty would be to give them a very small effective reticle and perfectly accurate bullets with little auto aim and no auto aim over a certain range so that they behave like the lightning gun and gattling gun in Quake and require constant very precise aim while firing to maximise damage.

It is good to see that there is a lot of mention of "skill" in the bulletin however the game was originally designed from a different perspective so this newfound focus on skill will have to result in quite a lot more tweaks to become more of a genuinely skill based game.

From the Next-Box Thread.

Can't be real. Probably 4Chan again.

Actually from reddit, guy thought the 4Chan image was real (even though the creator admitted to faking it) and made it look fancy. And of course, /r/gaming ate it up.

We aiming at universal. We've learned from mistakes made on Reach.

That's reassuring to hear and I just noticed that since the BR will be 4 shot that maybe the DMR getting a slight nerf is all that's needed since the BR is getting a huge buff. We'll see I guess.

And disabling JIP after half-point in a match is great! Probably the most informed Bulletin I've seen. No annoying hints or vague information. Please continue with that type of info, 343.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Man, if all these rifles are actually, properly balanced, the Pro gametypes in H4 are going to be even better.

IHaveIce

Banned
I'm fine with the weapontuning update.

What I wonder is do they only look at loudout weapons right now? The Beam Rifle HAS to be nerfed. Just reduce auto aim.

Havok

I'm fine with the weapontuning update.

What I wonder is do they only look at loudout weapons right now? The Beam Rifle HAS to be nerfed. Just reduce auto aim.

From last week's update:

This is not the extent of our tuning, and we are actively investigating tweaks to additional weapons, such as an aim-assist decrease on the Beam Rifle.
I don't think I'd stop there, a bunch of the power weapons need adjustments (and I think the Boltshot still needs to be revisited but I don't think we've seen any indication that they're doing so). Might as well touch every part of the sandbox if they're rebalancing.

IHaveIce

Banned
From last week's update:

I don't think I'd stop there, a bunch of the power weapons need adjustments (and I think the Boltshot still needs to be revisited but I don't think we've seen any indication that they're doing so). Might as well touch every part of the sandbox if they're rebalancing.

Wow thanks, no idea how I missed that.

And yes you are right, they probably have to look at more weapons, the Beam Rifle was just my biggest offender.

Overdoziz

Banned
A look into the future.
RmbWeJ8.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Twas playing ODST firefight tonight. Good fun. Too bad we never got any DLC for that game.

So... new Halo game this year? :lol. After the train wreck that is H4, I'm not exactly excited for what CoD monstrosity they come up with next.

Shit made me lol but not for the reason you'd expect

Months away and I can't wait.

Booking accommodation and flights ruined my bank account, but it's payday tomorrow!
I will book my flight next month or early June. I hope it will be a better experience than last year. Or the same experience. I am happy to get $850 for a 4-hour delay. :)

How long are you going to stay in Seattle, Gavin?

Hyper can I go with you?thanks
You can stay in a luggage. Do you want?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n35hef5g74o

Was watching this today. I don't know, something about the simplicity of Halo 3 Valhalla makes me prefer it over Halo 4's version . Can't explain it. Halo 4 looks so much more visually intense, but it's so devoid of character and color.

It's that next-gen look that so many shooters employ.
Halo 4's version is way to pale with those white stones, cliff etc. The green grass is beefier in Halo 3. But I'd not say it is not the next-gen look shooters employ nowadays. It is still very colorful compared to other shooters.

Edit.: I meant Halo 3 and not Halo 4. Grass is beefier in Halo 3.

Omni

I don't think I've ever killed anyone with those. Ever. Even in campaign. I just don't understand how to use them.
They're best used in conjunction with idle players. Useless against everything else unless you get lucky.

Though if you take the shields from someone and they walk into it, they die almost instantly. But then you have to ask yourself if it's quicker to throw the grenade at them or just use your primary to headshot them.

They're best used in conjunction with idle players. Useless against everything else unless you get lucky.

Though if you take the shields from someone and they walk into it, they die almost instantly. But then you have to ask yourself if it's quicker to throw the grenade at them or just use your primary to headshot them.

Maybe that is what I should do to try and get that achievement. Thanks.

I wish E3 was open to the general public. I swear that before they sold Floor Tickets for $500. I'd pay and go if they had them this year.

I'd go and meet Frankie, BS Angel, Josh Holmes, Robert Bowling, Brovo, David Bonahart. <343

IHaveIce

Banned
I wish E3 was open to the general public. I swear that before they sold Floor Tickets for $500. I'd pay and go if they had them this year.

I'd go and meet Frankie, BS Angel, Josh Holmes, Robert Bowling, Brovo, David Bonahart. <343

Dude E3 is way too crowded, expensive and the most interesting thing of E3 happen all at the conferences where you don't get in, I heard from about 5 people that expierencing E3 on stream is the way to go.

If you want to meet developers PAX or Comic Con would probably be better.

Madness

Halo 4's version is way to pale with those white stones, cliff etc. The green grass is beefier in Halo 4. But I'd not say it is not the next-gen look shooters employ nowadays. It is still very colorful compared to other shooters.

Yeah it looks a bit different viewing it through my phone now as opposed to full screen HD on my laptop.

I don't know if you look at the part where he's on the mongoose in front of lake side base, that highlights best the differences in color and textures and stuff.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
PAX is great for meeting people. I was able to have a good conversation with Jess and meet and chat with Frank. In 2010 I bothered Ellis for an autographed Reach poster, which they had apparently just run out of :(

Fracas

#fuckonami
Microsoft just called me to take place in a playtest study. Was holding my breath for Halo or something, but it wasn't :(

They told you what it was?

I was called a few days ago; got asked a few interview questions, then was told I didn't qualify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom