• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadders

Its been in various stages I think.

I think it started as a closed industry event which eventually became an open to the public event but then was later closed and tried to be a more industry focused event and then it was open to select members of the public and now its currently touted as a "professional trade event and is not open to the general public". I know I can get a pass to attend via the GF's job if i really wanted to but I have no way of paying any of the travel and accommodation costs and frankly standing around in lines all day is not my idea of fun.

I think the best way to enjoy E3 is some good food, comfy couch and a HD stream of all the good bits.

Even when it's closed it was easy enough to get a ticket. Ways to get a ticket:

- Order with a college/university email as they allow students in
- Order via a friend who works in games retail
- Order through a games site you work for (you can set up a site yourself)
- Become a developer (as above, set up a site saying you're a freelance dev)

It's not the base textures themselves so much as the bullshlapskie Halo 4 uses to attempt to look more detailed on top of them. There's tons and tons of blotchy, low-quality contour shadows that vanish as you approach. They *do* add detail to the terrain, but they just look like crap.

Halo 4 does it pretty badly in other places, too. Like, it's why the first combat area on Requiem also looks so ridiculously blotchy.

Wait, are you from HighImpactHalo?

Gui_PT

I didn't. :(

You can call me Microsoft, it's okay. <3 Please do call me.

Anyone mind telling me what the area code for the number is so I can be on the look out?

i1fZiH67ykBCR.gif

Need more Palmer in your life? There is a comic coming!

HALOIN-1-FC-FNL660.jpg
HALOIN-1-PG-14-SOL660.jpg

Craving more stories in the Halo universe? Dark Horse has you covered.

Although graphic novels and comics set in the Halo series have heretofore been handled by industry giant Marvel, Wired can exclusively reveal today that the next series of books based on Microsoft&#8217;s insanely popular Xbox shooters will be produced by Dark Horse. On August 14, it will launch the first issue of a new mini-series called Halo: Initiation.

Brian Reed, the comic writer who adapted the Halo: Fall of Reach novel into comic form in 2010 before joining 343 Industries to write the Halo 4 game, will write the books, with Marco Castiello (Star Wars: Purge) on art. Initiation is the origin story of Sarah Palmer, a character introduced in Halo 4. Although she appeared in the game as a commander of the Spartan forces, she was originally an Orbital Drop Shock Trooper; this series follows her career path.

&#8220;After Halo 4 and Spartan Ops, fans wanted to know more about the origins of the Spartan-IV program and Sarah Palmer in particular. So it&#8217;s great fun to be able to grant those wishes with a partner like Dark Horse,&#8221; Reed said in a statement issued by Dark Horse.

Check out the first glimpse at pages from Initiation above.
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/04/halo-initiation-comic/#slideid-55784

One of Thurrot's rumors:

"Windows 8 Core. The next Xbox is based on the "Core" (base) version of Windows 8. This suggests a common apps platform or at least one that is similar to that used by Windows 8, and further than Microsoft could open up this platform to enthusiast developers. (That last bit is supposition on my part.)"

This idea doesn't sit well with me. I'm assuming (hoping) we're just talking about a Windows 8 kernel and low-level application layer. If this console is actually running the core version of W8 as it's OS, it's going to be an absolute train wreck.

"I really want to know more about Palmer" said no one ever.
to be honest after finishing Halo 4, I wanted to know more about her. How did she get the job? and more stuff, but SpOps turned me off. I'd love to see other stories to be told in the Halo universe. I mean, there is tons of stuff to do.

One of Thurrot's rumors:

"Windows 8 Core. The next Xbox is based on the "Core" (base) version of Windows 8. This suggests a common apps platform or at least one that is similar to that used by Windows 8, and further than Microsoft could open up this platform to enthusiast developers. (That last bit is supposition on my part.)"

This idea doesn't sit well with me. I'm assuming (hoping) we're just talking about a Windows 8 kernel and low-level application layer. If this console is actually running the core version of W8 as it's OS, it's going to be an absolute train wreck.

W8 (all versions) and WP8 already do this. You don't see people's phones or tablets suddenly "bricking" nor do all of their OS's look/run the same. Making a mountain out of less than a molehill.

Omni

One of Thurrot's rumors:

My comment was more so in relation to you saying that it's going to be a train wreck. Why?

Palmer? In a universe full of awesome mysterious things, they literally chose the most boring, uninteresting and unwanted thing to write a comic about. Yay. Besides, that 4chan post a while back nailed her origins anyway

Onikaan

to be honest after finishing Halo 4, I wanted to know about her. How did she get the job? and more stuff, but SpOps turned me off. I'd love other stories to be told in the Halo universe. I mean, there is tons of stuff to do.

I'd like to see the other Spartan 2's appear at some point in this trilogy.

The Rookie, too.

IHaveIce

Banned
The only thing that could be interesting about Palmer is why the heck she was chosen instead of the more capable SPARTAN IIs who are still alive.

Pretty pissed they weren't shown or mentioned at all

Omni

The only thing that could be interesting about Palmer is why the heck she was chosen instead of the more capable SPARTAN IIs who are still alive.

Probably over qualified. If Spartan Ops is anything to go by, they just grabbed anyone off the street for the program.

Gui_PT

I assume that's what the comic is for. They want to make her look cool.

IHaveIce

Banned

Why would ONI pick a Spartan II as the leader of their new Super solider army? I mean, Spartan-IIs have a pretty close relationship to Halsey. Furthermore why would you let a Spartan-II lead a whole army of inferior soldiers if you could use them for special operations?

My comment was more so in relation to you saying that it's going to be a train wreck. Why?

Because the Windows brand doesn't exactly have a sterling reputation when it comes to making stable, secure operating systems. Now, I'd expect stability on a closed system like a tablet or console to be fine, but from a security standpoint? Let's just say I'm leery.

W8 (all versions) and WP8 already do this. You don't see people's phones or tablets suddenly "bricking" nor do all of their OS's look/run the same. Making a mountain out of less than a molehill.

I may well be, but keep in mind that Windows tablets and phones don't carry the market share to make them targets. A successful game console might draw a lot more attention in the long run.

I'm practically thinking out loud here, and not pretending to be an expert. If you guys think there's nothing to worry about here, then I'll defer to ya'.

Why is she in prime dick riding position?

Also, why is she sitting in the middle of a war zone?

"Well, looks like everyone else was killed. Before I call for evac or report I might as well sit down, relax and wave my guns around a little bit so it looks like I killed them."

IHaveIce

Banned
Why would ONI pick a Spartan II as the leader of their new Super solider army? I mean, Spartan-IIs have a pretty close relationship to Halsey. Furthermore why would you let a Spartan-II lead a whole army of inferior soldiers if you could use them for special operations?
Aren't Spartan Ops pretty important special ops?

EDit: of course you are right with the Halsey part.

EDit2: Why is she never wearing her helmet god damn. Do they have to make sure everyone knows she is a woman? Pretty token.

I can't believe a single 'fan of spartan ops' really requested a palmer origins story. I don't browse waypoint but I call bullshit. I would ask if Microsoft/ 343 just make stuff up now but their integrity was already lost due to the 14 day try and buy lol.

I should edit this to make it sound less accusatory - I don't actually care about the comic and I know marketing blurb is always a bit over exaggerated but I hope this isn't the start of a trend of bullshit.

If we get a Chief/Palmer love story I'm out.

"You want to know why they call me Palmer?"
"YOU SHOT MY MOM IN THE SHOULDER, YOU FUCKING LUNATIC"
"Oh, Chief, you poor thing. I can tell you need a woman's touch-"
"Are you even listening to me? My whole family's dead. Halsey, the Spartan-IIs, and now Cortana. I need some time alone."
"I get that, babe. But why don't I show you something a little better than hard light-"
*snaps Palmer's neck*

So ODST's haven't been retconned and as expected they're going to make fans love Palmer. Just you watchhh.. If it can happen with Carl on TWD it can happen with Palmer.

And going back to Josh Holmes and Turok: Interesting article with him describing Turok's new direction. Ain't nobody wanted a realistic, gritty Turok... We wanted a game with dinoids, rockets coming out of a raptor's ass and crazy ass weapons! Hopefully one day this injustice can be corrected.

Ghazi

I'm at such a crossroads right now. I would love to play Next Gen Halo, Forza etc, but some of the rumors sound bad :/ I gave up PC gaming for a couple of reasons, not having any friends with one, and having to go to school which would require me to bring that big ass tower with me. I am going to wait for MS to show its hand, but I think I might begin PC gaming again. Destiny alone won't tie me to consoles.
PS4, if the rumor about the nextbox being $499 is true I'm guessing that Sony will undercut them by $100 at $399. Which isn't a bad price at all for the hardware you'd be getting.

Imagine if she replaced cortana.

oh god please no
Palmer to be multiplayer announcer for Halo 5 confirmed.

Omni

Because the Windows brand doesn't exactly have a sterling reputation when it comes to making stable, secure operating systems. Now, I'd expect stability on a closed system like a tablet or console to be fine, but from a security standpoint? Let's just say I'm leery.
I'm not entirely knowledgeable on the subject, so say it's true, what's the difference between the nextbox's Windows 8 OS which is developed by Microsoft and the OS system already on the Xbox 360 that has had few (if at all) security problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom