• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

Finished the Reach campaign by myself on Legendary last night. Worst Halo campaign. FACT.

But there are predator missiles in Halo 4's campaign! It doesn't get worse than that. (Seriously though... From the moment the Infinity shows up, the campaign gets worse than any other in the series, IMO)

Reach's was dull and boring... but Halo 4's is incredibly scripted, dull and boring.

Why can't we be friends

smashbrosskip_2.gif

But seriously, so much negativity these days.

Finished the Reach campaign by myself on Legendary last night. Worst Halo campaign. FACT.

I kinda like it how the last zealots made a last stand trying to stop you and finally kill the one who escaped in Winter Contingency.

The problem with most of the new people that try to engage in or incite an discussion usually fall victim to the mentality of “HaloGAF vs me”. That already sets a precedence, it sounds like the person will never respect or even acknowledge the other voices in the thread. I think that rubs regulars the wrong way and that is why new people sometimes are ridiculed to some extent. The person kind of forfeits that people will take him or her seriously.

HaloGAF has it’s rhythm. We bitch, moan, discuss, argue like clockwork about everything and anything. If you want to have your opinion heard, stop blaming and attacking the community and actually engage. People will know when it’s a quality post. If nothing happens, well at least you tried something.
Yeah, usually when someone springboards a defense for the current target they start off with something amounting to "Listen up you nostalgia fumed shitheads" and, well, it's not surprising how that ends.

Talents

Banned
I've only just realized how many shit maps H3 has, I never get a decent map, it's always Valhalla, Snowbound or High Ground, the XP you lose from leaving really adds up after a while.

Fuchsdh

I enjoyed the campaign but was disappointed the last part of the game was a Firefight encounter (Not the post credit stuff, that was awesome)

Every Halo game after CE has had a disappointing ending; hell, endings are usually where most of my favorite games tend to flub (off the top of my head, I can think of Bioshock, Fable, and Borderlands as recent games.)

I think in shooters especially it's hard to create an epic challenge for the end without making what came before seem like it was limited or selling the game short, while also making sure you don't just make it fiendishly hard. The trench run was an awesome way around that, especially in a game without bosses, but it only works once.*

*In comparison, the endings to all the StarCraft games were pretty great, but there you *can* just up the ante and throw more forces at the player's base; it's just a different playstyle and mindset.

Every Halo game after CE has had a disappointing ending; hell, endings are usually where most of my favorite games tend to flub (off the top of my head, I can think of Bioshock, Fable, and Borderlands as recent games.)

I think in shooters especially it's hard to create an epic challenge for the end without making what came before seem like it was limited or selling the game short, while also making sure you don't just make it fiendishly hard. The trench run was an awesome way around that, especially in a game without bosses, but it only works once.*

*In comparison, the endings to all the StarCraft games were pretty great, but there you *can* just up the ante and throw more forces at the player's base; it's just a different playstyle and mindset.

Halo 3's Warthog run was epic because it was like Halo 1 except with 4 players and different vehicles. With the right party, any game can be a blast lol

Never forget Halo 2's ending though. I know a lot of people hated it because of the cliffhanger, but I felt the opposite. That whole Campaign was so refreshing and when it finally ended with MC saying, "Sir. Finishing this fight." I got SOO frikkin hyped. Kinda like Kill Bill Volume 1 IMO.

Gui_PT

Have to agree with most of that. I quite enjoyed the trench run in Halo 3 though, even though they had already done that with CE.

Edit: Congrats on your horse Homeboyd

HTupolev

Every Halo game after CE has had a disappointing ending
I could think of a lot of ways I'd try to improve Halo 3's final level, but even so it's a really good and cohesive package.
Similar deal with ODST. Also, zebra statue-based combat.
Reach doesn't go in a direction that I wanted it to go in, but for what it's trying to do I thought the execution was quite good. I suppose I'd call it disappointing, but in a lot of ways still damned good.

Hell, Halo 2's ending never really infuriated me. I remember laughing at the "finishing this fight" line, but for the most part it seemed like a somewhat reasonable point to cut off a mid-trilogy title. If there's anything that's icky about it in a lasting way, it's that Halo 3 isn't coupled all that well to it... which is why I think that there'd still be a ton of potential in an Arby or Half-Jaw campaign taking place between Halo's 2 and 3. If done well, it could improve both of those games.

Halo 4's Didact-kill QTE never really ticked me off, though it didn't really inspire me either, andthe combat leading up to it also kind of sucked (even if it was almost saved by the suddenly good use of soundtrack). And the writing didn't work for me, especially with the bizarre melodramatic lines like "she said that to me once..." I'd call Halo 4's ending disappointing, though perhaps not any more than the campaign as a whole was for me.

could we get some more halogaf posting tips from people who joined in 2012 thanks i am taking notes
Id like to, at least, think I am an acception from all that drama from last year. The quality and simplicity in the past Reach OTs seemed welcoming before the juniorpocolypse.

Fuchsdh

I could think of a lot of ways I'd try to improve Halo 3's final level, but even so it's a really good and cohesive package.
Similar deal with ODST. Also, zebra statue-based combat.
Reach doesn't go in a direction that I wanted it to go in, but for what it's trying to do I thought the execution was quite good. I suppose I'd call it disappointing, but in a lot of ways still damned good.

Hell, Halo 2's ending never really infuriated me. I remember laughing at the "finishing this fight" line, but for the most part it seemed like a somewhat reasonable point to cut off a mid-trilogy title. If there's anything that's icky about it in a lasting way, it's that Halo 3 isn't coupled all that well to it... which is why I think that there'd still be a ton of potential in an Arby or Half-Jaw campaign taking place between Halo's 2 and 3. If done well, it could improve both of those games.

Halo 4's Didact-kill QTE never really ticked me off, though it didn't really inspire me either, andthe combat leading up to it also kind of sucked (even if it was almost saved by the suddenly good use of soundtrack). And the writing didn't work for me, especially with the bizarre melodramatic lines like "she said that to me once..." I'd call Halo 4's ending disappointing, though perhaps not any more than the campaign as a whole was for me.

I definitely don't mean that the endings have all been horrible, they've just been weak compared to the campaigns that preceded them. I personally am fine with the cliffhanger ending to Halo 2--the actual cinematic was awesome, the Tartarus fight not so much. ODST's was just Firefight, which we'd kind of already done in the campaign. Halo 3's trench run is weaker to me because while you can do it with four people, all the tiles are scripted so it has less replay value than the Autumn, where you can choose from multiple routes. Reach did nothing for me, it was a long Firefight scenario and then some more painful Fuel Rod and Sword Elites, and finally getting bombed to hell while waiting to hold down the trigger. Gameplay-wise, it wasn't doing anything for me and from a narrative standpoint, the Autumn just didn't serve as a good enough crescendo (I think I've agreed with GAFFers before who suggested the Autumn drop should have been in the middle of the campaign in space.)

As far as the QTE's go for Halo, I dunno how a boss fight with the Didact woulda' gone down, but I would have liked it more than the QTE. On the other hand I kind of liked the crawling "press X to activate bomb" moment.

There's some issues with the ending, but to me they boil down to Cortana doing her "fairy jump everyone!" move on the Didact and the "waited so long" bit. I get the meaning, but those two elements were poorly constructed in the final piece (also, veered too close to "space magic".)

TheOddOne

As far as the QTE's go for Halo, I dunno how a boss fight with the Didact woulda' gone down, but I would have liked it more than the QTE. On the other hand I kind of liked the crawling "press X to activate bomb" moment.
I don't mind the story elements, but the gameplay aspect was just appealing. Tons of other games do this cinematic type QTE ending, but none of them stick or are memorable. An actual Boss Fight in the sandbox would have been memorable and true to Halo.

Karl2177

The problem with most of the new people that try to engage in or incite an discussion usually fall victim to the mentality of “HaloGAF vs me”. That already sets a precedence, it sounds like the person will never respect or even acknowledge the other voices in the thread. I think that rubs regulars the wrong way and that is why new people sometimes are ridiculed to some extent. The person kind of forfeits that people will take him or her seriously.

HaloGAF has it’s rhythm. We bitch, moan, discuss, argue like clockwork about everything and anything. If you want to have your opinion heard, stop blaming and attacking the community and actually engage. People will know when it’s a quality post. If nothing happens, well at least you tried something.

I generally prefer to stay out of this stuff, but I very much agree with the bold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom