• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghazi

I used to order pizza a lot during the summer before I could drive, gave the drivers $20 of tip every time. Spent over $600 on Pizza in like 2 months.

Duji

I was just like Speedy in my early teens. Give the guy a few years and I doubt he will be repeating the same ideas. Outdated beliefs are hard to hold on to once you reach 18ish.

Ghazi

$20 tip every time? That's crazy

Yeah, I ordered it almost daily for a month and a half.

Granted it was my first time eating Pizza and I was staying home and they'd have to drive a fairly long distance since I live in such a rural area.

Dipfb9x.gif

Madness

I'm sorry Devo, but I would pay good money to watch Palmer get killed. I hate the character. I always liked Halsey and Miranda Keyes. Keyes died, Halsey apparently is a war criminal in 343's mind and now goes completely against everything she believed in because they shot her in the rotator cuff but she had to have her arm below the elbow be amputated.

I don't know, how to change it. You give people choice, like in Mass Effect with femshep and yet for two consecutive games, less than 18% of all players used femshep at all. All that time spent getting Jennifer hale to voice every line of dialogue, every CGI cut-scene, all those specific scenes and less than 18% of everyone who played even got to see/utilize it.

I would much rather have someone like that commander in the Forward Unto Dawn series. The actress who was in Munich. Much more believeable as a leader than dudebro Palmer.

I feel the Spartans are now just like the dumb infantry from starship troopers and that they took the Dizzy character and made her Palmer.

I'm curious though how would you change it to be more gender inclusive and portray positive images for women and girls who play? I agree they sexed up Cortana a lot, but there was a reason for that.

Fuchsdh

In a bar. You can't walk around outside while holding drinks with alcohol, can you?

Yeah when I went to Las Vegas for NAB I felt really, really odd just walking the strip with a White Russian in hand.

Couldn't Kat have had a robot arm underneath her armour? Just weird that you'd slap a shoulder piece on it and call it done.

I always thought it was exposed because, while it made it more susceptible to fire, it was also designed to be easy to field repair if necessary.

Oh, so we're talking real-life. We'll, yeah obviously 343/Bungie choose to overly sexualize her, for some strange reason. Seriously, it's pretty god damn funny, here's a picture 343 published,
evolution_of_cortana-2.jpg

It's hilarious how an AI that can "choose" for itself decides that it was to get more "attractive" over time lol. Wonder if 343 and Bungie realized how stupid, and immature it is to design her like that, and try to use "she chooses to present herself like this" as a reason lol.

How does an AI such as her even know or care about touching on our level? How can she even feel when it's a projection? Why am I asking these questions? PLOT MAGIX OF COURSE.

Not that it absolves the developers of overly sexualizing her (and I think Lorraine McClees really hated how Cortana got bustier as time went on), but in the canon the AI's *do* choose their look, and because they're based on humans they actually *do* know what touching feels like, yadda yadda. There was an excellent bit for Halo Wars' Serina that never made it into the game, unfortunately, where Serina confides that she "relaxes" by remembering the feeling of running a brush through her hair. It makes rampancy a bit more poignant, because AI's can get so incredibly close to sensation without actually getting it. See also: "Human Weakness".

So to reiterate, while the Chief/Cortana relationship was overall excellent in Halo 4, yeah if that final scene wasn't in there and Cortana wasn't so damn naked, it would have been better.

Madness

I used to order pizza a lot during the summer before I could drive, gave the drivers $20 of tip every time. Spent over $600 on Pizza in like 2 months.

Wow. My friend used to deliver pizza. He got paid like $11 bucks an hour base salary, used to drive a beat up Neon, and would make anywhere from $20-$40 a night in tips.

I try and tip waitresses the most out of anybody. Not only do they get shafted with half-pay, but a lot of people them have to share tips with chefs and dishwashers and other staff etc.

Sorry for the double post.

Ghazi

Wow. My friend used to deliver pizza. He got paid like $11 bucks an hour base salary, used to drive a beat up Neon, and would make anywhere from $20-$40 a night in tips.

I try and tip waitresses the most out of anybody. Not only do they get shafted with half-pay, but a lot of people them have to share tips with chefs and dishwashers and other staff etc.

Sorry for the double post.

Yeah, I understand how little they get paid. I mean, if I'm making a little extra income I don't mind helping other people out. Of course when I started running out of money I toned it down it a bit, but it was still always a profitable venture for them. I still order from Dominoes from time to time, but now that school is in session I have to keep an eye on how much money I'm spending on and on what.

Madness

Yeah, I understand how little they get paid. I mean, if I'm making a little extra income I don't mind helping other people out. Of course when I started running out of money I toned it down it a bit. But it was still always a profitable venture for them. I still order from Dominoes from time to time, but now that school is in session I have to keep an eye on how much money I'm spending on and on what.

No I was saying you were paying them a lot. My friend was making a killing. He got paid a base salary, plus he got all that tip money. He was making like $80 bucks a day, plus whatever he got in tips. His car was a beater, and the tips went towards gas but still had enough left over. It's different having to wait on tables for hours at a time, bringing them dishes, refilling drinks, etc. Than it is to just chill in your car, bump the music and drive like 5-15 minutes out of your way and come back.

I tip my pizza guys base 10%, 15% if it's a larger order or a lot of pizza.

But now that I'm working part time and working towards a post graduate degree, I gotta save up, so I just pick up my pizzas now lol.

Ghazi

No I was saying you were paying them a lot. My friend was making a killing. He got paid a base salary, plus he got all that tip money. He was making like $80 bucks a day, plus whatever he got in tips. His car was a beater, and the tips went towards gas but still had enough left over. It's different having to wait on tables for hours at a time, bringing them dishes, refilling drinks, etc. Than it is to just chill in your car, bump the music and drive like 5-15 minutes out of your way and come back.

I tip my pizza guys base 10%, 15% if it's a larger order or a lot of pizza.

But now that I'm working part time and working towards a post graduate degree, I gotta save up, so I just pick up my pizzas now lol.

Ahhh ok, I wasn't sure how much to tip them since it was my first time ordering pizza so I thought it was a fair amount. I had an uncle who worked in pizza making and delivery in Canada and he wasn't being paid much from what I understood. Of course, you're right in that it takes much more patience, skills, and effort to be a good waiter/tress and they definitely deserve more tip for that. I've never had to tip a waiter or waitress though because I've never eaten at a place with one.

I was tipping the Pizza guys usually twice the amount of my order, I feel kind of stupid now

I was just like Speedy in my early teens. Give the guy a few years and I doubt he will be repeating the same ideas. Outdated beliefs are hard to hold on to once you reach 18ish.

Same. Then I was 18 and Mardi Gras happened. I saw the light. Have fun when you're young. I sometimes see kids wanting to settle down a fucking 22 and whatnot. If it's some amazing girl and you need to lock that in, then yeah go for it, but otherwise, enjoy life while you can. You only go through it once. And it's unfair to ask anyone at the age of 16 to understand that.

And props to Speedy for being honest about everything. His avatar also reminds me about how great ODST was.

I don't understand what this means, how does fun work when you're young? "Fun" also can be a broadly different idea to people too.

Anything with friends really, it's just that when girls are involved, lan parties are usually out for us so we'll go to bars and just loosen up, or sometimes clubs if everyone feels like doing that. Watching sports together, playing Monopoly, I don't know. Being sociable.

I blew $100 in a week on Domino's. I don't recommend it.

His avatar also reminds me about how great ODST was.

I marathoned that shit the other day. So much fun. The soundtrack alone is a masterpiece.

I need someone to play Halo 3 with me :(

Seriously guys, we need a Halo 3 GAF party nightly. If Reach can do it, I don't see why Halo 3 can't.

I'll play if I pull host.

Oh, I misread once again. I thought like you wanted more woman representation in the game, and I wanted the main woman in there to die off. I can't believe they're making her the face of their new comic to try and gets fans and sympathy behind her. I bet they'll show she wasn't always a hard ass, that it was some dumb egghead scientist who cared more about the research and this in turn caused the death of her friend, and so he hates them now blah blah.

lol yep. Insert generic tragic backstory trope that causes character to hate/stereotype everyone belonging to a certain group.

Madness

Why are you apologizing to me? Like I give a shit about that character.

Oh, I misread once again. I thought like you wanted more woman representation in the game, and I wanted the main woman in there to die off. I can't believe they're making her the face of their new comic to try and gets fans and sympathy behind her. I bet they'll show she wasn't always a hard ass, that it was some dumb egghead scientist who cared more about the research and this in turn caused the death of her friend, and so he hates them now blah blah.

Ahhh ok, I wasn't sure how much to tip them since it was my first time ordering pizza so I thought it was a fair amount. I had an uncle who worked in pizza making and delivery in Canada and he wasn't being paid much from what I understood. Of course, you're right in that it takes much more patience, skills, and effort to be a good waiter/tress and they definitely deserve more tip for that. I've never had to tip a waiter or waitress though because I've never eaten at a place with one.

I was tipping the Pizza guys usually twice the amount of my order, I feel kind of stupid now

Eh it's different I guess. I wouldn't know exactly what American chains are paying these days. Though judging by all the people out of work and part time jobs, they're probably getting shafted down south. Here though, could be anecdotal, but my friend told me he got a base $11 an housr salary, plus the tips. He hardly did a lot of work too, some older lady made the pizzas. I do know he made a shitload of cash though. But hey, if you can afford it, it's good to pay any service industry worker more. It's hard work for low pay usually.

HTupolev

Been playing split-screen Halo CE and Halo 2 the past few days. I miss that kind of Halo. :(

If you're doing 2-player, you're using a top/bottom split with Halo 2, right? Left/right split is unplayable.

Halo 1's split-screen FoV is glorious, by the way (as long as we're not talking Anniversary's campaign).

If you're doing 2-player, you're using a top/bottom split with Halo 2, right? Left/right split is unplayable.

Halo 1's split-screen FoV is glorious, by the way (as long as we're not talking Anniversary's campaign).

It's been so long I couldn't remember if you could or how to, so we've been going about one or two games of Halo 2 with the left/right split before going back to CE. I'm finding CE more fun now so I haven't really cared too much.

HTupolev

It's been so long I couldn't remember if you could or how to, so we've been going about one or two games of Halo 2 with the left/right split before going back to CE. I'm finding CE more fun now so I haven't really cared too much.
Set your console to 4:3 to force top/bottom split.

FoV still isn't great (feels a bit like looking through a slit), but it's playable.

Izick

I have a couple questions for the broader Halo community, that I personally find interesting. Might bore most of you, but I'm really curious.

Before I ask, let me preface it with this: I'm absolutely fascinated by communities like this that hover around a single game or franchise. I've been playing games for decades but I've never really gotten to the point where I've just been completely obsessed with a franchise. I really admire that kind of dedication, but for some reason I just like trying new things; not that you all don't, just that I'm the kind of guy who can't even play through a game a second time, even on a harder difficulty and some thrown in new stuff. I've played through all of the Halo games' single and multiplayer stuff (besides 4) and I really have enjoyed it, buy there always comes a time when I'm done with it.

After reading the quoted message in the OP (what an amazing read by the way; fascinating for someone who knows about the series but hasn't studied the minutia of each game over the years; great stuff), I've kind of come to finally get a grasp on the situation at hand, and that is Halo is currently on a downslope right now, with two iterations that were less than optimal, at least by most posters' standards within these official threads. Now this brings me to my questions:

1.) If you are a Halo fan, but have been disappointed with Reach and (more importantly) Halo 4, will the eventual new Halo game instantly make you buy the next Microsoft console? I know there will be some that have the means to buy both the PS4 and Nextbox, maybe buying the latter sometime down the line when Halo 5 launches, but in reality most people can't justify dropping 800$ to a grand on consoles alone.

2.) As Bungie fans by nature, are you excited for Destiny, even though it seems to be a completely different beast (in most ways) than the Halo games? Are you excited just because it's made by Bungie? Are you excited just because it looks interesting (so far) on its own merits? Combination of those?

I appreciate any and all responses.

1. I'll buy the next Halo. Mainly for the campaign now though. No Halo campaign has disappointed me. I'm not going to hope that the MP will "save" the franchise though.

2. I don't think anyone is not excited for Destiny and it's purely because it's made by Bungie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom