• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cortana cosplay by Yasemin Arslan. (Art by Bosslogic.)

tumblr_mhueteqgtl1r3nrsjo1_500.jpg

Impressive.

So much photoshop, it literally buried the real person.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I already didn't agree with most of this post, but this part is especially ridiculous. Anybody who is actually familiar with the lore wouldn't somehow automatically be angered by the story. I'm as familiar with the lore as just about anybody on this entire forum, that much I'm certain, and I came away very pleased with the story and feel that it's one of the strongest ever story efforts in a Halo campaign. If you're a fan of the books, you should be a fan of Halo 4's story, simple as that.

In previous Halo titles, it always felt to me like Bungie failed to take advantage of all that was there in the books just waiting to be taken advantage of in the games. I enjoyed the games anyway, but I still came away feeling that they were also wasted opportunities. I really didn't feel that way with Halo 4. Halo 4's story felt more like the story that I read about in one of Nylund's books. Halo 4 had the Master Chief that you read about in Fall of Reach and First Strike. I loved seeing Cortana pull that multiplying trick that she picked up from a Covenant AI in First Strike. Cortana's rampancy was handled extremely well. They didn't just talk about showing more of the Master Chief's human side, they actually did it, and did it successfully. I actually enjoyed that the Chief was essentially humbled in the way that he was. He just didn't have it in him to beat the Didact on his own, to escape completely unscathed as is usually the case for him in situations such as these. The Master Chief was made to taste failure in the most personal of ways that we've ever seen, and I commend 343 for having the guts to do it. It makes what's to come in the sequels even more exciting.

So because he disagrees with you and points out an obvious truth, the best course is to instead weasel your way out of admitting that the complaints being thrown out now are a lot of the same ones that get tossed out after every Halo game, and that were certainly tossed out after both Halo 3 and Halo Reach? Where did all those people go that said Bungie screwed up the end of Fall of Reach the book with Halo Reach's ending? Where are the people that said the whole Noble Six, copy of Cortana, latchkey discovery idea felt forced and screwed with major aspects of the Halo lore? Where are the people who said that Bungie didn't take any risks with Halo 3's story, and completely failed to do anything with Cortana's predicament at the end of Halo 2? You just got Cortana back and it was back to business as usual, all the hype and build up for nothing. Where are the people who said that Bungie failed to touch on one of the more interesting aspects of a potential Reach game by not even venturing to touch upon the rare Forerunner artifact located beneath Oni's Castle base? I can go on and on. Bungie were hardly perfect, so I don't see what 343 is getting all this crap about. Halo 4 was a fantastic game.

Team SLRP found its new captain.

This is called blind fanboyism. It's worse than pretending to be a girl on an online forum.

It's what I did with Reach to be honest lol.

I FORCED myself to love Reach for like 6 months before I realized I can't do it anymore. Really though guys, I can't be the only one here who has complete faith in Destiny and Bungie.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

I FORCED myself to love Reach for like 6 months before I realized I can't do it anymore. Really though guys, I can't be the only one here who has complete faith in Destiny and Bungie.

Bungie makes great games, but blind fanboyism isn't a good thing. I think Destiny will probably be a good game, but it might not be as amazing as people say it'll be.

It's a bit of a contradiction to have complete faith in Bungie if you did not like Reach.

I'm optimistic about Destiny for sure, but I'm not jumping on the hype train until I see some good gameplay.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Bungie is an extremely skilled studio that puts an incredible about of passion into their work to make their vision a reality. I have faith that Destiny will be the game Bungie wanted it to be. That's it.

The thing about Destiny is that even though we can be confident of its quality, we shouldn't have any preconceptions of what it might be like aside from what we already know.

It's a bit of a contradiction to have complete faith in Bungie if you did not like Reach.

I'm optimistic about Destiny for sure, but I'm not jumping on the hype train until I see some good gameplay.

Reach was an amazing game. I didn't like Reach because it was a bad Halo game.

Hell, if Destiny WAS Reach, I would have loved it and I'd be looking forward to Destiny 2.

If Destiny plays NOTHING like Halo, I won't care.

^ lol nice avatar Speedy

Bungie is an extremely skilled studio that puts an incredible about of passion into their work to make their vision a reality. I have faith that Destiny will be the game Bungie wanted it to be. That's it.

The thing about Destiny is that even though we can be confident of its quality, we shouldn't have any preconceptions of what it might be like aside from what we already know.

Destiny is going to be the game that's in Bungie's blood; the game they were destined to make. The game they 've been wanting to make for years with personality that matches their studio and not what Microsoft forces upon them. Just look at the diversity in the characters, enemies, environments, etc.

Bungie was never able to fully embrace their creativity because they were tied behind the mammoth known as the Halo franchise. I think that's the key note of importance here. A Bungie unleashed, per se.

Thematic multi-faction warfare of Borderlands complete with the variations in aesthetics as well as the large degree of weaponry, as well as a story focusing on a golden goose of sorts and a world's quest to obtain whatever rewards may lay therein.

PvP elements of Dark Souls and to some extent dungeon structure (they specifically mentioned Dark Souls as an inspiration in one interview).

Space aesthetics and ship-based combat in the vein of Mass Effect.

Being Bungie, models and whatnot will probably be nowhere near up to par with the rest of the industry's graphical prowess, hence Nintendo. Art style should be promising though.

Now that I think about it, Bungie is kind of an M-Rated version of Nintendo, actually.

Booshka

Thematic multi-faction warfare of Borderlands complete with the variations in aesthetics as well as the large degree of weaponry, as well as a story focusing on a golden goose of sorts and a world's quest to obtain whatever rewards may lay therein.

PvP elements of Dark Souls and to some extent dungeon structure (they specifically mentioned Dark Souls as an inspiration in one interview).

Space aesthetics and ship-based combat in the vein of Mass Effect.

Being Bungie, models and whatnot will probably be nowhere near up to par with the rest of the industry's graphical prowess, hence Nintendo. Art style should be promising though.

Now that I think about it, Bungie is kind of an M-Rated version of Nintendo, actually.

I wonder what they mean by this, if you and a couple buddies will be on some co op mission and then some random dude can invade your game and try to kill your group. Could be really cool if it was like that, having a random invader while trying to clear the area and progress is nerve wracking and very exciting. Might make too many people rage though.

I wonder what they mean by this, if you and a couple buddies will be on some co op mission and then some random dude can invade your game and try to kill your group. Could be really cool if it was like that, having a random invader while trying to clear the area and progress is nerve wracking and very exciting. Might make too many people rage though.

Not if you could disable it ;]

-EDIT-

Then it would be ruined, when I hear that suggestion for Dark Souls I facepalm. The entire reason you can get invaded is because you have the ability to summon help to make the area much easier. If you could just summon help and roflstomp the area with no threat of an invader showing up in your game, it would trivialize it.

Oh, I never played Dark Souls but what you described by itself sounded awesome; actual players coming into my game playing as an Elite as I Camo/Boltshot them on my way to push that glowing button.

Booshka

Not if you could disable it ;]

Then it would be ruined, when I hear that suggestion for Dark Souls I facepalm. The entire reason you can get invaded is because you have the ability to summon help to make the area much easier. If you could just summon help and roflstomp the area with no threat of an invader showing up in your game, it would trivialize it.

HTupolev

Being Bungie, models and whatnot will probably be nowhere near up to par with the rest of the industry's graphical prowess, hence Nintendo.
No.

Halo 3/ODST is the only part of Bungie's Halo games that can plausibly be considered graphically poor, and its low levels of detail and resolution resulted largely from the decision to gun for an insanely powerful lighting model. Bungie did improve the efficiency of some things for Reach, but Halo 3 isn't just wasting all the graphical horsepower that the 360 has; it's going something that's subtle, but awesome.
Halo 3 also expends some power on being super full-bodied in some interesting respects. There's plenty of ground foliage, many plants respond physically to things, the water system is nuts, and the game is fairly unrestrictive in area designs. Look at something like the "banshees fast and low" part of Sierra 117; it's a fairly fleshed-out, simultaneous setpiece and combat area... and it's got a big river of sophisticated 3d-animated water with simple water physics, underwater animated plants and basic caustic effects, and you can go fishing if you want to (killing fish will cause them to go to the surface and float downriver a bit).

Or we can look at Reach, which is pretty much no less graphically impressive than Halo 4. Higher-quality water (Halo 4's water has no 3d animation), ambient occlusion, motion blur, insane weather system capable of tons of particles that interact fully with the environment and dynamic objects, very good textures, far more in the way of fully 3d skybox components. Overall, the polycounts of dynamic objects in Reach tend to be competitive with Halo 4 as well; Kat's model is over 30,000 polygons, while Halo 4's in-game Chief model is in the realm of 25,000.
Reach mostly looks less graphically impressive than Halo 4 because Bungie didn't try to haze up the details behind hazy bloom, hazy screen-space godrays, and a thick layer of FXAA smear. Nor did Bungie bullshit "detail" through techniques like low-resolution contour shadows, like on Requiem's blotchy grassy hills or Ragnarok's ground.

Destiny may very well wind up "graphically unimpressive" on account of game design (i.e. depending on how open-worldish it is), but Bungie isn't graphically clueless. They don't have the resources to devote to producing refined techniques that some middleware developers do, but they do plenty of extremely cool research and experimentation, and their results aren't unimpressive.

Some lovely posts

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10944676&postcount=49932

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11032647&postcount=50599 - So, some other Bungie game then

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11112241&postcount=51073 - The real reason ranks aren't in game anymore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvUbIMJ2lQI

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11258234&postcount=52886 - Proof that one time, Frankie knew what was up!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11300979&postcount=53391 - The early germinations of Halo 4's Steitzer and objective gametypes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Halo 3 shits all over Reach. Reach only wins the years after the event war because of its hitscan netcode. Halo 3 has:

Better default Team Slayer
Better maps
Better BTB
Better Team Snipers
Better MLG (No grey goo apocalypse)
Grenades that bounce and make sense
Equipment is a much lesser evil than the game breaking Armour Abilities
No sprint (and all its attendant bullshit from Reach)
No bloom
A flag you can juggle in default settings
Better jump height
Better strafe acceleration
MUCH better vehicles
Colour

Reach severely damaged Halo's reputation amongst less avid Halo fans. When the Halo/COD split was still on the precipice, players were shooting a 100% bloom DMR on The Cage whilst people Armour Locked. COD said: "thank you Bungie".

Anyone who'd rather play Reach on LAN than Halo 3... I'd question their Halo tastes!

Madness

Who can honestly say Reach was a bad game? It was extremely polished and well done. It just wasn't a good Halo game competitively. Otherwise it had great art direction, sound direction, level design, enemy AI, menu/graphics UI etc.

A poor Halo multiplayer game? Sure I'll buy that, but a bad game or mediocre game altogether? No.

I have faith Bungie will deliver another well developed and polished game. I have faith the music and sound design will be industry leading, it's UI and graphics already shown seem to be cutting edge, etc. It's enemy and art design and concepts seem intriguing.

It may not be Halo, but I have no doubt it won't be a great game, whatever it's like.

Sorry, this post is posted way lager than I wanted. I was typing it, and then had to go somewhere for like two hours. Disregard if the Bungie good game talk is over.

Seance

Banned
Destiny = Dark Souls + Borderlands + Mass Effect but with Nintendo-level graphics and shit

It's certainly not Dark Souls quality animation. Other than the setting, possibly the story and Mart'y music, nothing about Destiny has me excited yet.

Who can honestly say Reach was a bad game? It was extremely polished and well done. It just wasn't a good Halo game competitively. Otherwise it had great art direction, sound direction, level design, enemy AI, menu/graphics UI etc.

A poor Halo multiplayer game? Sure I'll buy that, but a bad game or mediocre game altogether? No.

I have faith Bungie will deliver another well developed and polished game. I have faith the music and sound design will be industry leading, it's UI and graphics already shown seem to be cutting edge, etc. It's enemy and art design and concepts seem intriguing.

So someone posted that Halo 3 thread a while ago and I skimmed through the first, last and some pages inbetween, but still jumping around to see if people were along the same lines of thinking; interesting to read in depth experiences of Halo 3's Campaign.

Booshka, your post on the last page lol - I guess you didn't buy the whole "Halo 1 fans will love this game because of the Pistol and return to one weapon :D" pitch Bungie was throwing at us either.

And I happened to stumble upon kyle.. I thought the times were different back then? B]

HaloGAF may have started during the Halo 3 times, but the Halo community existed many years before. Maybe those who remember the "glory days of HaloGAF" are looking through rose-tinted glasses as well? I mean, why did you join this community years ago? Wasn't it to be part of some Halo community because of your passion for the franchise? And damn, seeing BB's post reminds me of that sad day ;\ Used to love getting into heated debates with that dude over Halo 1 (not on GAF).

One thing is for sure though. If Halo 3 had faster/consistent gameplay, better online and a DMR, then I probably would've loved it.

Booshka

So someone posted that Halo 3 thread a while ago and I skimmed through the first, last and some pages inbetween, but still jumping around to see if people were along the same lines of thinking; interesting to read in depth experiences of Halo 3's Campaign.

Booshka, your post on the last page lol - I guess you didn't buy the whole "Halo 1 fans will love this game because of the Pistol and return to one weapon :D" pitch Bungie was throwing at us either.

And I happened to stumble upon kyle.. I thought the times were different back then? B]

HaloGAF may have started during the Halo 3 times, but the Halo community existed many years before. Maybe those who remember the "glory days of HaloGAF" are looking through rose-tinted glasses as well? I mean, why did you join this community years ago? Wasn't it to be part of some Halo community because of your passion for the franchise? And damn, seeing BB's post reminds me of that sad day ;\ Used to love getting into heated debates with that dude over Halo 1 (not on GAF).

One thing is for sure though. If Halo 3 had faster/consistent gameplay, better online and a DMR, then I probably would've loved it.

Yea that was back when I barely posted on GAF, let alone HaloGAF. I was way too addicted to Shadowrun and mostly posting on MLG forums back them.

This golden link came out of one of B.B's posts though.

Some more insight into the mystery of the Halo CE pistol, a mystery that will never truly be answered by Bungie or some of the old designers of Halo CE.
http://www.bungie.net/en-US/Forum/Post?id=518388#12851663
Edit, holy shit now the link isn't working, the Guardians are hard at work with this one. Let me try another way.

Within that massive discussion is this gem of a post from Hitzel, I remember this dude from the MLG Forums, he was also an avid Halo CE and Shadowrun player. Was able to do a little interview with the community manager and lead designer of Shadowrun (John Howard, also lead designer of Halo CE) and asked about the Halo CE Pistol.

l Hitzel l said:
So The Pistol was imbalanced because it's skin looked like a Pistol? If it was a Rifle that acted the same way, it would be balanced than?

And here's a quote from the lead designer of Halo 1:

[22:08] The Halo 1 pistol wasn't a mistake...
[22:08] It was also intended to be the ultimate hold out weapon...
[22:09] I always believe that balance is about giving each weapon / ability / whatever it's own perfect situation.

On top of that revelation, the Pistol being a poorly skinned Rifle line was such a classic that I stole it for my own use.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
HaloGAF started before the Halo 3 days. Pretty sure there was a large portion of guys around for Halo 2 and I don't really know about GAF and H1 though. That was before NeoGAF I believe.

Madness

I meant UI/ menu graphics. We haven't gotten much gameplay at all so I don't know that will be. Judging from that enemy video they showed, the animations seem to be above Reach. I don't think the graphics will be the best at all, especially since it'll be a current gen and next gen release. Plus if it's a persistent online world with a lot of in/out players meeting up, I think the graphics will be good, but nothing mind blowing. Sort of like battlefield 4 which looks good, but you know if it was a ground up ps4/pc release first, it'd look much better.

Madness

HaloGAF started before the Halo 3 days. Pretty sure there was a large portion of guys around for Halo 2 and I don't really know about GAF and H1 though. That was before NeoGAF I believe.

Yeah if you read the halo 2 thread, you'll see names like Ghaleon, Ramirez, Op_Ivy and many others. I think that was the unofficial start of HaloGAF, but I used to lurk near the launch of Halo 3, and I'd say, just the sheer level of interaction and enjoyment, that 2007-2010 was the golden age of HaloGAF.

I'm one to talk though, I only was able to join earlier this year and by then, numerous people had left en masse.

Yea that was back when I barely posted on GAF, let alone HaloGAF. I was way too addicted to Shadowrun and mostly posting on MLG forums back them.

This golden link came out of one of B.B's posts though.

Some more insight into the mystery of the Halo CE pistol, a mystery that will never truly be answered by Bungie or some of the old designers of Halo CE.
http://www.bungie.net/en-US/Forum/Post?id=518388#12851663
Edit, holy shit now the link isn't working, the Guardians are hard at work with this one. Let me try another way.

Within that massive discussion is this gem of a post from Hitzel, I remember this dude from the MLG Forums, he was also an avid Halo CE and Shadowrun player. Was able to do a little interview with the community manager and lead designer of Shadowrun (John Howard, also lead designer of Halo CE) and asked about the Halo CE Pistol.

On top of that revelation, the Pistol being a poorly skinned Rifle line was such a classic that I stole it for my own use.

Brilliant. This is how you save Halo! Booshka you found it! 343, give us the Halo 1 Pistol for Forge/Custom Games and make a filter:

Halo 1 Pistol: Yes/No (right above)
Connection: Good/Mexico
Skill: ExWife/ExWife (because there is no other skill when u tryin DAT HARD)

Thanks for that link btw. Hell of a read. Might go to sleep to some of these posts every night.

-all dat juice-

inb4subtlebrag

jennifer-lawrence-gif.gif

Bro, there ain't nothing subtle about that ginormous pic.

-EDIT-

This industry needs a weapon creation tool. We have all sorts of map editors and character customization traits to tweak, but nothing to alter weapons on a similar scale. Imagine being able to make tweaks for weapons like 343 is currently messing around with? Imagine having unique traits for each weapon like having stun on the Reach Repeater?

Whatever is the first AAA title to creatively bring that to players is going to win over a lot of fans.

I have seen a lot of bad opinions on the last few pages, a Halo 3 custom game BR starts/ MLG or Snipes with friends who live locally is still far better than ANYTHING on Halo 4 or Reach.

Matchmaking does suck though. :(

No.

Halo 3/ODST is the only part of Bungie's Halo games that can plausibly be considered graphically poor, and its low levels of detail and resolution resulted largely from the decision to gun for an insanely powerful lighting model. Bungie did improve the efficiency of some things for Reach, but Halo 3 isn't just wasting all the graphical horsepower that the 360 has; it's going something that's subtle, but awesome.
Halo 3 also expends some power on being super full-bodied in some interesting respects. There's plenty of ground foliage, many plants respond physically to things, the water system is nuts, and the game is fairly unrestrictive in area designs. Look at something like the "banshees fast and low" part of Sierra 117; it's a fairly fleshed-out, simultaneous setpiece and combat area... and it's got a big river of sophisticated 3d-animated water with simple water physics, underwater animated plants and basic caustic effects, and you can go fishing if you want to (killing fish will cause them to go to the surface and float downriver a bit).

Or we can look at Reach, which is pretty much no less graphically impressive than Halo 4. Higher-quality water (Halo 4's water has no 3d animation), ambient occlusion, motion blur, insane weather system capable of tons of particles that interact fully with the environment and dynamic objects, very good textures, far more in the way of fully 3d skybox components. Overall, the polycounts of dynamic objects in Reach tend to be competitive with Halo 4 as well; Kat's model is over 30,000 polygons, while Halo 4's in-game Chief model is in the realm of 25,000.
Reach mostly looks less graphically impressive than Halo 4 because Bungie didn't try to haze up the details behind hazy bloom, hazy screen-space godrays, and a thick layer of FXAA smear. Nor did Bungie bullshit "detail" through techniques like low-resolution contour shadows, like on Requiem's blotchy grassy hills or Ragnarok's ground.

Destiny may very well wind up "graphically unimpressive" on account of game design (i.e. depending on how open-worldish it is), but Bungie isn't graphically clueless. They don't have the resources to devote to producing refined techniques that some middleware developers do, but they do plenty of extremely cool research and experimentation, and their results aren't unimpressive.
I enjoy posts like these. Very informative without mentioning Perfect Dark at every turn.

DeadNames

Banned
I miss flying UNSC vehicles. They added an interesting dynamic to maps. Like Spire, for example. The map itself was okay, but the Falcon made it a hell of a lot more interesting.Hopefully that mega blocks VTOL thing makes it into the next Halo, whatever it may be.

RIP Falcon.
RIP Hornet.

Omni

I miss flying UNSC vehicles. They added an interesting dynamic to maps. Like Spire, for example. The map itself was okay, but the Falcon made it a hell of a lot more interesting.Hopefully that mega blocks VTOL thing makes it into the next Halo, whatever it may be.

RIP Falcon.
RIP Hornet.
Yah. Not sure why they nerfed the Banshee to oblivion when they could have just put a Falcon in there.

Haven't touched H4 in a couple of months. Can anyone tell me if they have added hockey and rockethog gametypes?

I found those were the gametypes I genuinely enjoyed playing with friends after I got burned out on the traditional gametypes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom