• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebula

It's that time of year. We get to hear people who "hate" Call of Duty tell us how they're not buying the the game.
like they did last year

It's that time of year. We get to hear people who "hate" Call of Duty tell us how they're not buying the the game.
like they did last year

I play those games for the Single-Player now. Black Ops 1 and 2 had godawful single player storylines.

As for multiplayer.. I can pick it up and play it but I get frustrated at campers and people with better equipment. I can still do well but I'd rather go back and play CoD4 or MW2 than this future warfare bullshit of Blops2.

Nice feature set and good community support and I can get behind that.

DeadNames

Banned
I was going to post that but I stopped myself when I realised this isn't my favourite franchise anymore.

yeah, I've kind of moved away from competitive MP in general. I'll play it, but I always end up getting wicked mad. that's why I'm playing starbound/terraria/skyrim.

Nebula

Nice feature set and good community support and I can get behind that.

I still jump on it from time to time. I probably would have been done on MW3 but they did a great service in releasing 3 v 3, and that became my home from home. Until they broke the spawns that is.

I never bought Blops 2, I use my brothers copy and I enjoy it every now and then. Great support from Treyarch in updating bugs/glitches and patching weapons. Nice playlist support as well.

Nice to see 343 trying to do the same.

Any of you dudes ever written in that portion of "notes" at the back of a game booklet or user guide? And if so what did you write?
some cheat codes, but mostly for a tally of games won/lost between me and my wife.

Also, this community is a better place with you posting in it. More, please. :)

So Blood Dragon is out today. Anyone gonna buy or have bought it yet?
I plan on getting it at some point. Looks too awesome.

Any of you dudes ever written in that portion of "notes" at the back of a game booklet or user guide? And if so what did you write?

I never wrote in them. I could see the space being used for cheat codes back in the day but I just used some folded lined A4 paper.

I bought a preowned version of some PS2 game and someone had wrote (in terrible handwriting) a sort of diary about some girl he was at school with and clearly crushing on. When I worked in game retail some people would trade them in and they would be full of shit like what time they played the game and stuff.

Start Time: Nov 12 2002 14:21
Completion Time: Nov 15 2002 12:53

Stuff like that was "common" about 1 in 80 games or something.

TCKaos

Dragondildos.com

reference_chart_using_soda_can_for_scale.jpeg

Could she even give a decent hug with a robot arm?

With a rubber alien penis arm?

I argue she wouldn't give any decent hugs at all, because she's got to be the worst at showing affection ever. I mean, shit, she fucked Keyes once and then left her daughter with him. She never actually hugged or consoled the SPARTANs as far as we know, either.

reference_chart_using_soda_can_for_scale.jpeg

Could she even give a decent hug with a robot arm?

With a rubber alien penis arm?

I argue she wouldn't give any decent hugs at all, because she's got to be the worst at showing affection ever. I mean, shit, she fucked Keyes once and then left her daughter with him. She never actually hugged or consoled the SPARTANs as far as we know, either.

That's what I'm saying, man. The biggest way to get that whole arc tied up would be to have her actually learn to come to terms with what she did. I mean, everyone demonizing Halsey aside, I don't think anyone's going to be visibly harming her when the fucking Master Chief is protecting her. Cue her finally getting atonement by establishing a mother-son relationship with Chief. I mean, awesome as it'd be, I'm not expecting them to have picnics on Requiem or anything.

I'll dig it up later but my original prediction for Spartan Ops Season 1.5 had you fighting some huge battle in a Forerunner area that was essentially Delta Halo's control room mixed with Didact's Cryptum site. It'd be a huge battle between UNSC forces and the Prom-Remnant alliance. At some point Jul decides that Halsey's outlived her usefulness and super-backhands her or hits her with his Sword or something. Cue Chief witnessing, hulking out, Jul shits himself, proceeds to have a cutscene (no not a QTE) where they engage in hand-to-hand combat and Chief just starts breaking Jul's bones without even trying left and right.

Halsey would be in critical condition but Librarian Space Magic would allow her to become an AI. So, while it's not Cortana, Chief gets to keep his space mom around as a virtual companion.

Plus, giving the smartest organic currently around (Halsey) the hardware to hack Covenant encryption keys, actually utilize Forerunner schematics, etc. makes too much sense.

Gui_PT

This sucks :(

I had some fun games last night too

This game has the ability of being somewhat fun at times and completely infuriating at other, much more common times.

Also , your Quick CSR thing is pretty awesome!
But why do I have to press "update" instead of just hitting F5? UGH you're so lazy

Fuchsdh

The issue I have with Halsey's arc is I'm by sure where she can... Well, really arc to. She's a bad person but she's also indirectly responsible for our survival in an immediate and long-term sense. Even if Halsey fully admits to herself that it wasn't just about saving humanity that she did this, what sort of penance can possibly redeem her at this point beyond stopping the Halos from firing again herself?

Also I really wanna see what kind of robot arm she could build from Covy gear.

The issue I have with Halsey's arc is I'm by sure where she can... Well, really arc to. She's a bad person but she's also indirectly responsible for our survival in an immediate and long-term sense. Even if Halsey fully admits to herself that it wasn't just about saving humanity that she did this, what sort of penance can possibly redeem her at this point beyond stopping the Halos from firing again herself?

There's obviously no way for her to fully be forgiven by everyone, but I'd think that humanity's survival sort of balanced that out in its own regard.

TCKaos

I'm expecting antigravity or hard light in some way, shape or form.

Also, Chief just hulking the fuck out is something that should have happened by now. Frankie pls.

Fuchsdh

There's obviously no way for her to fully be forgiven by everyone, but I'd think that humanity's survival sort of balanced that out in its own regard.
Well, people will forgive a lot of crap, but not if they're unrepentant. Halsey's interrogator has it right, she's tried to twist history for her benefit in light of the Covenant, but Halsey is equally right that the UNSC top brass was behind her entirely and no one asked moral questions in the face of extinction. It's a deliciously ambiguous situation, but I'm not sure what narrative opportunities that gives Halsey going forward. She definitely needs some face time with Chief and the other Spartan IIs, that's for sure.

Chief can flip tanks, yet the only cutscene instance of CQC we saw with Bungie was when he calmly put Arby at gunpoint in Arrival.

343 needs to get Monty Oum working on mocap but be sure to remind him gravity is a thing that exists. Are we really expected to believe at this point Chief wouldn't be strong enough to start punching Grunts so hard their faces melted?

Also, considering Halsey's not really suited for combat and they already have the capability to flash-clone brains, wouldn't it be possible just to give her a regular arm again?

no bullets hans

Neo Member
Not only that, but you have to look at things big picture. She was responsible for the Spartan II's only. 125 or so kids, half of which became amazing soldiers, one of whom has basically made a hobby out of saving the universe.

I find it hard to believe that in the grand scheme of life, war, and all the questions of the universe unraveling before humanity that anyone really, truly cares about what Halsey did to some kids 35 years ago.

I mean, do any of us care about Richard Nixon? That was a pretty big deal then, but its not like he was hounded every day of his life until he died. Heck, they have to have S-IV's explain to each other what Halsey did in Spartan Ops. That doesn't sell the "vile, hated war criminal" vibe they're trying to sell.

At the end of the day, nobody is going to care about Halsey in the real world...so its weird that they keep bringing her back to beat her up.

Fuchsdh

Chief can flip tanks, yet the only cutscene instance of CQC we saw with Bungie was when he calmly put Arby at gunpoint in Arrival.

343 needs to get Monty Oum working on mocap but be sure to remind him gravity is a thing that exists. Are we really expected to believe at this point Chief wouldn't be strong enough to start punching Grunts so hard their faces melted?

Also, considering Halsey's not really suited for combat and they already have the capability to flash-clone brains, wouldn't it be possible just to give her a regular arm again?

Well I'm not sure they've ever worked out the kinks out of flash cloning in that the clones eventually degrade. I'm surprised the UNSC doesn't have some way of regrowing limbs as such salamander-style using the persons' own cells, but I think it's clear the UNSC lost a good 100-200 years of solid technical progress due to the pre-FTL travel conflicts.

Also, robot arms are cool.

so who's excited for cod ghosts?

If they get the netcode back to MW2 quality, and they try something a little different yes. Even if the game plays mostly the same as the past few but has good netcode I'm in. Every COD since MW2 feels laggy and inconsistent.

Fuchsdh

Not only that, but you have to look at things big picture. She was responsible for the Spartan II's only. 125 or so kids, half of which became amazing soldiers, one of whom has basically made a hobby out of saving the universe.

I find it hard to believe that in the grand scheme of life, war, and all the questions of the universe unraveling before humanity that anyone really, truly cares about what Halsey did to some kids 35 years ago.

I mean, do any of us care about Richard Nixon? That was a pretty big deal then, but its not like he was hounded every day of his life until he died. Heck, they have to have S-IV's explain to each other what Halsey did in Spartan Ops. That doesn't sell the "vile, hated war criminal" vibe they're trying to sell.

At the end of the day, nobody is going to care about Halsey in the real world...so its weird that they keep bringing her back to beat her up.

People care about war crimes, yeah. Sure, kidnapping and mutilating 70 kids is a small butcher's bill in the scheme of inhumanity, but I don't think the families who watched their "children" die agonizing deaths would feel like "dude that was 35 years ago, whatevs."

Most of the Spartans weren't probably even alive or didn't remember a time before the Covenant. One of the UNSC admirals had to explain to an officer that the insurrection was a big deal at one point. We've never experienced that kind of generational war.

As to your political analogy, politicians usually get away with just being kicked out of office for crimes that would land normal people in prison, so it's not a great comparison.

so who's excited for cod ghosts?

Cant play any COD after MW2, so fucked up servers and only US can play the game.

Edit:

935723_516039128457816_507880107_n.jpg

Mix

I played a quick warm up in Regicide the other day. I was destroying - there was a guy and his three guests plus one or two others - but could not get ahead. Went back and watched the film and just as I'd suspected the guys guests were running towards him then stopping and letting him kill them. Lol'd because I hadn't seen that in Reg before csr was introduced and I thought of Frankie's E-peens.
I saw it a couple if times back in March before CSR. I haven't been in there since then

So I'm looking into getting a second cat to keep my current in door cat company. The costs are tiny (cat is free and food is super cheap) my main concern is how they will get on initially and one got any tips.

On a side note some of the cats people are giving away are amazing. It makes me both angry and depressed. Looks now like its between either a deaf female (d'aww) or a male both under a year old and both pure white.

Ugh top of page.

Halo 4 stats are bad
Juices saved Halo
Wahrer has Halitosis

Agreed. Gonna put this in the OP for prosperity.
Cool thanks Booties
Agree with the Cortana bit, better ideas than get/find me another terminal or button or portal.

Disagree with Requiem as this creates insane importance on the Janus Key while simultaneously displaying the desperation of Jul. I also feel like 343i peeled the Forerunner curtain back and created more mysteries for the next games/books.

Think back to your first playthrough CE and all the first encounters to then have 10 years of discovery in more games/media. I think the lore was unified quite well but a clean no Flood slate and intro of Prometheans/Requiem was the sort of freshness that mystery needs.

I do agree this could have been expanded on and executed better in game for campaign/SPOPS. They big up'd Requiem but in game we never really got into the inner workings of it.

Stop so much new content generation and provide higher quality and more meaningful experiences with the content layers/assets as a foundation, in place of redesigning new assets all the time.

We want to explore and delve deep into our game worlds/lore. I hope the elements of the Janus key deliver this in future Halo games.
Agreed with all the above. I wonder if 343 can make the Janus Key as an Interactive Map in-game? That would be very cool.

So I'm looking into getting a second cat to keep my current in door cat company. The costs are tiny (cat is free and food is super cheap) my main concern is how they will get on initially and one got any tips.

On a side note some of the cats people are giving away are amazing. It makes me both angry and depressed. Looks now like its between either a deaf female (d'aww) or a male both under a year old and both pure white.

Ugh top of page.

Halo 4 stats are bad
Juices saved Halo
Wahrer has Halitosis

Get the white girl, name it Bosoms.

Be sure to feed it pizza every day.

I'll look into mouthwash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom