• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% bloom sucks. I'll take an imbalanced sandbox + OP DMR for 85 bloom.

pls and ty

The 85% DMR isnt that overpowered which is why its great for the whole sandbox. The 0 bloom is really OP though which is why its fine but just in MLG or any other mode where its the main weapon and near only weapon. Like it might do well in SWAT.

Does not compute.
Super Slayer is dead because casuals don't know wtf a Super Slayer is and it sounds stupid so they pick Team Slayer because it's what they know. That causes a low playlist population and when people see the low population they don't want to play it because it'll take too long to get games. It's not divine proof that everyone prefers vanilla Reach.

The 85% DMR isnt that overpowered which is why its great for the whole sandbox.
It isn't at all, the AR is still useful in close quarters, as in it's intended role. And the Needle Rifle is bloomless at 85%, but still takes more shots to kill than the DMR and hardly the monster that Fyrewulff made it out to be.

100% bloom sucks. I'll take an imbalanced sandbox + OP DMR for 85 bloom.

pls and ty
And yet one playlist is alive and one is dead.
Super Slayer is dead because casuals don't know wtf a Super Slayer is and it sounds stupid so they pick Team Slayer because it's what they know. That causes a low playlist population and when people see the low population they don't want to play it because it'll take too long to get games. It's not divine proof that everyone prefers vanilla Reach.
It certainly isn't proof they prefer TU settings. Why did they hold a vote? Why didn't they take the action you're suggesting earlier? Obviously a substantial amount of people prefer playing Halo: Reach Team Slayer as designed and balanced by Bungie. Enough to justify keeping those settings in matchmaking.

Were up.

Come discuss stuff, like the bulletin. Or watch us dong even!

And yet one playlist is alive and one is dead.

It certainly isn't proof they prefer TU settings.

I understand but look at Halo 4 you have people actually making Infinity playlists the most played. Its all about presentation. Combine the two Slayer and New Slayer TU stuff in a compromise and make it infinitely less confusing and more accessible.

Side note: accessibility in Halo 4 btw, means stop forcing people to unlock stuff. Give everyone everything at once. Otherwise I'm all pissed I have flinch and that nerd that just beat me didn't have flinch. That's not accessible at all! That's the opposite.

It certainly isn't proof they prefer TU settings. Why did they hold a vote? Why didn't they take the action you're suggesting earlier? Obviously a substantial amount of people prefer playing Halo: Reach Team Slayer as designed and balanced by Bungie. Enough to keep those settings in matchmaking.
That "vote" was garbage and you know it, for multiple reasons.

-The majority of players DON'T READ THE FORUMS or WAYPOINT. This is pointed out time and time again by everyone including Frankie. The majority of players didn't even know what they were voting for, they just picked whichever gametype and map they liked more, which brings me to my second point.

-Different gametypes and map combos for vanilla and TU choice. How can you have a controlled vote when your options can and certainly did end up like this:

Slayer DMRs on Arena Zealot

TU Elite Slayer on Uncaged

That's not a controlled environment and people's choices could have been for any number of reasons. Gametype? Map? Map and gametype? Maybe people didn't vote at all? It's not uncommon at all to go a voting round where less than half the players voted. And if no one voted at all then the top option gets picked, which was always Vanilla was it not? Would that not completely skew results?

It was riddled with problems and not conclusive of anything so please stop acting like it was.

The vote should have been conducted on Waypoint so the voices of the people that actually know what changes they're voting for are heard.

Besides, I don't think any other game in existence was left in a state of partially title updated. That in and of itself just looks extremely unpolished, like the health pack glitch which got bleedthrough removed from all TU gametypes.

The 0% bloom DMR is overpowered in Reach, yes. That doesn't mean that 85% bloom is the better option, though; what should have been done is the DMR should have been put at 0% bloom and the RoF should have been reduced to compensate for the increased usefulness. They should have balanced to sandbox, but the TU apparently didn't provide that capability, so 85% is the lesser of two evils. 343 appears to realize this now as seen by their current effort with Halo 4 to re-balance the sandbox by tweaking factors such as damage output, RoF, aim assist levels etc.

The 0% bloom DMR is overpowered in Reach, yes. That doesn't mean that 85% bloom is the better option, though; what should have been done is the DMR should have been put at 0% bloom and the RoF should have been reduced to compensate for the increased usefulness. They should have balanced to sandbox, but the TU apparently didn't provide that capability, so 85% is the lesser of two evils. 343 appears to realize this now as seen by their current effort with Halo 4 to re-balance the sandbox by tweaking factors such as damage output, RoF, aim assist levels etc.

Very much agree with your reasoning here.

That "vote" was garbage and you know it, for multiple reasons.

-The majority of players DON'T READ THE FORUMS or WAYPOINT. This is pointed out time and time again by everyone including Frankie. The majority of players didn't even know what they were voting for, they just picked whichever gametype and map they liked more, which brings me to my second point.

-Different gametypes and map combos for vanilla and TU choice. How can you have a controlled vote when your options can and certainly did end up like this:

Slayer DMRs on Arena Zealot

TU Elite Slayer on Uncaged

That's not a controlled environment and people's choices could have been for any number of reasons. Gametype? Map? Map and gametype? Maybe people didn't vote at all? It's not uncommon at all to go a voting round where less than half the players voted. And if no one voted at all then the top option gets picked, which was always Vanilla was it not? Would that not completely skew results?

It was riddled with problems and not conclusive of anything so please stop acting like it was.

The vote should have been conducted on Waypoint so the voices of the people that actually know what changes they're voting for are heard.

Besides, I don't think any other game in existence was left in a state of partially title updated. That in and of itself just looks extremely unpolished, like the health pack glitch which got bleedthrough removed from all TU gametypes.
I think that if the vote had been done properly, default would have still had substantial representation, if not a decisive victory. The TU was half-baked. Reach 1.0 is the superior design. The fact that it is called a title update is in no way an indication of its worthiness or precedence, especially considering that it was developed by a different entity with minimal staffing more than a year post-release.
Reach is Reach. Let it be. It wasn't broken and the TU doesn't fix it. Every aspect of the experience was painstakingly tweaked by engineers who built the game, and having a couple guys come along much later and start playing with the dials isn't quality support in the least. ZBR works with MLG. Reach works with Reach.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
image.php

loooool

I see nothing about Reach updates or Hire Juices in that whole bulletin. I do see a bunch of Halo 4 updates that arent live yet...which stinks cause the games population is declining every day.

I'm liking the sound of these changes, but to me it feels a bit late. I think people are past the point of giving Halo 4 another chance, and the population will still continue to decline. :(

Regardless of all that, I'm still excited for more changes. Give me that 4-shot BR.

Obscured

Increased ROF for the light rifle sounds pretty good. I like using it, but it feels so slow.

I'm glad they keep working on it. I don't think it is ever too late. Not that devs should think they can release and patch later, but the more refinement hopefully the better the games to come.

No Carbine buff??

I can see the desire for it to compete better at range with the other precision rifles, but at the right distance the carbine is already awesome.

That's just sad. GOW Judgment is even more sad.
That's incredible that less users play a Gears can that came out two months ago than the last FOUR Call of Duty games.

I mean that's just amazing.
How are we still beating Battlefield 3.

Doesn't make any sense, every time I compare numbers BF beats it significantly every time (possible difference in reporting technique of course.) As we know, Nelson's lists are based on Unique Users, but my theory is that BF3 is probably played more than H4, but H4 has more unique players per week. BF is known for having an extremely dedicated and hardcore userbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom