• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reggie

Banned
Besides PR friendly "we have learned from our mistakes", could you link me to a dev admitting their previous efforts were bad?

I can't think of anything at the moment. I know I've seen it before though. Besides would it not be lend some credibility to 343 that they admit Halo 4 was bad? Maybe renew some faith? It's not that crazy.

I can't think of anything at the moment. I know I've seen it before though. Besides would it not be lend some creditability to 343 that they admit Halo 4 was bad? Maybe renew some faith? It's not that crazy.

It is that crazy. They are a business, that is their product. They're not gonna come out and say "Yeah the first game we have ever developed is trash. But please buy our next one it will be better!"

I can't think of anything at the moment. I know I've seen it before though. Besides would it not be lend some creditability to 343 that they admit Halo 4 was bad? Maybe renew some faith? It's not that crazy.

I saw mentions of Diablo III's auction house and some Star Trek MMO's PvP system that the devs admitted were bad.

Fuchsdh

I'm talking about 343 admitting it. Its not unheard of that developers admit their previous efforts were bad.
Yeah 343i made plenty of mistakes, but you're living in bizarro world if you call Halo 4 a bad game. E.T., Shaq-Fu, those are bad games.

Yup, Elijah's doctor is hopeful that by the time he enters kindergarten, there will be a Kalydeco equivalent for his mutation, which is the most common mutation in the population.

I hope the best for your family. I'll spread that video around. Elijah is a pretty cool name.

Anyone want to speculate what the new Halo 4 content in October could be.

Might be the preorder stuff finally going on the marketplace or it could be new armor. I doubt its a map pack or anything like that.

Obscured

The white text is there to strictly pander to lower skilled players. So that even the smallest thing seems special.

Oh you put two shots in a Warthog but someone else did most of the work and got a kill? WHO CARES BECAUSE YOU GOT THE AWESOME VEHICLE KILL ASSIST AND +15 POINTS!

It's to try and keep players engaged, to make them feel like they did something amazing. Instant gratification and feedback. Even if you suck ass and die 3-4 times in a row, if you get a kill after dying so many times, you get a COMEBACK KILL medal etc. Because even though you didn't comeback at all and are still running a deficit, don't feel bad.

It's like they reward mediocrity. All in the name of making the game accessible I guess. But it's unnecessary and clutters up the screen. Just because people don't complain about it as much, doesn't imply it's wanted.

I don't necessarily think it is there to pander to the lower skilled players or to rip off COD, it is a part of the feedback loop that is becoming standard in FPS, but is is actually a helpful UI element or not should be the question. There definitely was a bit of self-fulfilling prophecy about a lot of the elements that were complained about early on. I keep hearing the "It is a good game, just not a good halo game", which sounds to me like purposely preventing yourself from liking it.

As far as medals, they did go a bit far(well far enough to give easy ammunition for criticism). It would be cool if the comeback medal was given if you were at a k/d deficit and came back from that, but it would have to be enough of a deficit to be worth while, like being down 3 or 4 kills and you would need to pull it back up past even. The distraction is another one, but I think it is more in how you get it. If you are just standing there taking shots and your buddy comes up and kills the guy you didn't do anything. Though there have been times where I've seen people getting it by baiting opponents into an area where another player can take them out and they actively set that trap, not sure how you effectively register intent in that instance.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, you're right. My bad.
Got plenty of time to get it right before we actually need the next OT.

And I stand by my statement of Shaq-Fu, although I'm also trying to think of the worst game I've played this console generation. Jurassic Park: The QTE Movie comes to mind.

willow ve

All the new maps in the bulletin and not a single change is mentioned about CTF maps. Playlist has the most unbalanced maps in the game. Not to mention the banshee and mantis still appear on maps.

Please 343 get someone to update CTF (start with removing Infinity variant).

jFCjxBpO2rySd.png

Yes. Good point!

BigShow36

I really wish they would lower the aim assist on the Precision weapons as well. They're all still too easy to use with Halo 4's current strafe speed.

Man im gonna agree with knockz on the white text.

It honestly doesnt bother me anymore. Its really not that intrusive, I dont even notice it anymore. I know its right there in the middle, but its not like your gonna sit there trying to read while it someone gets the drop on you.

The distraction medal can be useful. If you get sniped in the body, and then your team mate takes out the sniper who did it, well then you know that whoever was just killed was the guy sniping you. Whats the problem with that? Its actually useful so now you can run to other cover or whatever knowing that sniper isnt still looking at you.

People stopped complaining about it because there are bigger things to worry about in 4.

Bigger things to worry about, the white text really isnt a problem.

I agree with you in part, but therein lies another problem. If your mind simply ignores them, why are they there? They are either an irrelevant distraction or simply irrelevant. What's the point?

So, I finally had the time to finish both Silentium and Rebirth.

Holy shit. What a step-up from Cryptum and Primordium.
I enjoyed both of them, but the pace was too tedious for my liking. However, Silentium's use of Catalog as a narrator with multiple simultaneous POV's was fantastic. The pacing was great, there were neat parallels in story-telling
(the journeys of the Ur-Didact and the Librarian, in particular)
and very interesting revelations
(such as the destruction of the Domain by the Halos and what that meant for the Ur-Didact - that explains a lot about his character in Halo 4)
Content-wise, it made me respect the Didact and the other Forerunner characters a lot more. And finally, Greg Bear did a fantastic job tying all those loose pieces of fiction (including the Halo 3 terminals) together.
Such a rewarding read.

Also, I found that it opens up a lot of potential for upcoming games. Halo 5 could have an expansion in narrative scope comparable to the jump from Halo 1 to Halo 2. I really hope 343 uses this opportunity. Primordium/Silentium/Rebirth spoilers:
Especially the return of Guilty Spark and possibly Bornstellar, the Librarian and Mendicant Bias could add a lot of interesting dynamics to the story.

That said, I'm really glad that a 4-shot BR seems to be on its way. All in all, I can't say that I'm unhappy with the franchise at the moment. But, of course, there's lots of room for improvement.

And I stand by my statement of Shaq-Fu, although I'm also trying to think of the worst game I've played this console generation. Jurassic Park: The QTE Movie comes to mind.

I'd say a tie between Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard and Jurassic: The Hunted for the best bad games this generation for me. That clip was from a live stream of mine a while back. Probably the best line of dialogue ever delivered in a game in some time.

Madness

I didn't want to bring up white text because it's one of the lowest rungs on the ladder of things I don't like with the game, but even if I or others don't pay mind to it much, then what is it there for?

Why can't I toggle it off so I have a clear FoV? We had a decent feedback system with the Halo 3 and possibly Reach medals. Reach started to push it in terms of what constitutes a notification of importance.

Just killed two guys? Here's a bright shiny yellowe double kill medal. Quickly got another kill, here's a silver medal with 3 stars denoting the triple etc. The medals were small enough that they weren't distracting but were there long enough that we took note of them. They also had unique designs and colors so you know exactly what you did.

More than 50% of the new medals are generic with the same color scheme. They share little variation in design, are smaller and go away much faster. I can barely register what the heck happened. And it's for this reason why I feel the white text is given more support than it needs to be. They've added a new instant feedback system, while severely hampering the previous one.

As for distraction, sure it's great to know that the person who was shooting you was taken out. But what if you were sprinting across and he was taken out, and yet, with instant respawn, he is back there within a second or two, negating any push I might have made. Happens all the time to me on a map like Exile.

I've argued the point enough, but it's unnecessary. We had medals, we had steitzers voice, now we need white text in the middle of the screen too?

It's something I don't like, I'm forced to accept it, and yes there are far bigger issues with the game, but it's still an issue for me nonetheless.

Fuchsdh

Probably just armor or avatar stuff.

I'm hoping we get some kind of new Halo game at console launch. Halo Wars 2 please.
What exactly would Halo Wars 2 be? I think they could probably improve the storytelling a bit with graphical advances, and by virtue of the fact the story doesn't need to be self-contained, but I honestly don't know how you could improve the controls or add gameplay features without cluttering the system.

Ramirez

God damn that was emotional, and I don't even have children. Tweeted it out (to the buttload of followers I have, lol) and donated a little. I hope your son lives a wonderfully long life.

Regardless of who does the next thread (hopefully it's you), this should be in it for sure.

Thanks man, and lol Kyle.

Thanks, Stalker.

Obscured

All the new maps in the bulletin and not a single change is mentioned about CTF maps. Playlist has the most unbalanced maps in the game. Not to mention the banshee and mantis still appear on maps.

What would be great is hearing some philosophy around map design from 343 (or Certain Affinity) for different gametypes. Be great bulletin fodder. The walkthroughs never really get into why they think something is great for KOTH or CTF or just slayer.

IHaveIce

Banned
Thanks man, and lol Kyle.

Thanks, Stalker.
Also tweeted and it and I have to say first big respect to you to handling all this and to your little one, I don't know what I would do if my daughter had it :( You really have to have big power.

Hope everything will went fine Ram.
Will donate as soon as I am home.

Havok

From the lack of talk about it, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't see anything wrong with CTF, which is a pretty big bummer. We went from "We know that not every gametype works with every map" to 1) Game launches with CTF Complex and Abandon, and then 2) Asymmetric maps are developed and the designers behind them say that they're "one of my favorite CTF maps in the entire series." It's hard to take their vision of the gametype seriously, both because of how flawed the core changes were and because of how they handled the playlist after release (adding in Infinity CTF at really high weighting, not culling maps that don't make sense for the mode as a whole, not culling maps that don't make sense for the player count (hello Skyline)). It's to the point where I don't even bother trying to go into that playlist anymore, and Team Skirmish/Objective was my bread and butter before (I think I should reiterate again that Team Objective now contains such gems as 6v6 Oddball and King on maps like Adrift, making that playlist just as much of a minefield as CTF).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Also tweeted and it and I have to say first big respect to you to handling all this and to your little one, I don't know what I would do if my daughter had it :( You really have to have big power.

Wait what's going on with Ram's kid?

I get verklempt about kids now that I have one.

Karl2177

So it was near 80 degrees Monday and Tuesday. I walk outside this morning to go to work and...

WTF WEATHER.

I was disc golfing by your place on Sunday. Today, I'm drudging through and inch and a half of wet slush to get to class. The worst part of it all is that my shoes' ankle supports started cutting into my heel, and when I arrived at lab the back side of my shoe was just bloody slush.

From the lack of talk about it, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't see anything wrong with CTF, which is a pretty big bummer. We went from "We know that not every gametype works with every map" to 1) Game launches with CTF Complex and Abandon, and then 2) Asymmetric maps are developed and the designers behind them say that they're "one of my favorite CTF maps in the entire series." It's hard to take their vision of the gametype seriously, both because of how flawed the core changes were and because of how they handled the playlist after release (adding in Infinity CTF at really high weighting, not culling maps that don't make sense for the mode as a whole, not culling maps that don't make sense for the player count (hello Skyline)). It's to the point where I don't even bother trying to go into that playlist anymore, and Team Skirmish/Objective was my bread and butter before (I think I should reiterate again that Team Objective now contains such gems as 6v6 Oddball and King on maps like Adrift, making that playlist just as much of a minefield as CTF).

Yeah.. CTF in H4 is a travesty. I probably have less issues than most here (could take or leave waypoint, flagnum, juggling). Auto pickup, loadups, map selection makes the regular objective playlist CTF awful.

Throwdown is quite a bit better due to map selection and loadouts though.

I don't even understand what the impetus was for increasing the player count of Objective, besides more options of poor quality maps. Whatever the decision was, it did absolutely nothing to improve the player pool, and it actually dropped Team Regicide, one of the best gametypes that 343 has come up with outside of Action Sack.

His son has Cystic Fibrosis.
http://vimeo.com/45515036

CF Awareness month, watch please.
youtube link

BigShow36

I don't even understand what the impetus was for increasing the player count of Objective, besides more options of poor quality maps. Whatever the decision was, it did absolutely nothing to improve the player pool, and it actually dropped Team Regicide, one of the best gametypes that 343 has come up with outside of Action Sack.

What is the impetus for every decision regarding Halo 4 so far?
How many players does Call of Duty have in it's objective modes?

Ramirez

Thanks!

He has cystic fibrosis, you all posted that vid in an update last May. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom