• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai-kun

Banned
made a gif from that stream

Mwi8JxL.gif

bring the hot guy back

Thanks, I'll look into it. Seems much better than the alternative of buying games (even for cheap) that offer little to no replay value for me.

Make sure that you're going to have time to do (I'd say) two or more games per month and that you live in or near a big city. I had Gamefly for a couple years when I had more free time, but between work and other obligations, not to mention the shitty shipping speed and response time and not necessarily getting a game anywhere near the top of your queue, it wasn't close to worth it for me. I took the few hundred bucks per year (or whatever) and just buy games on sale, or for PC, and just resell/trade the ones I don't want to keep after I'm done. Saved a ton of money.

Keep in mind, I haven't had the service for about 2.5 years now, so their service to my area might be improved, but they don't have anywhere close to the shipping centers that Netflix has, nor the efficiency.

I wonder if I'd have any success doing let's plays.

As long as you don't have a mic. RIP everyone.

Fuchsdh

I understand the appeal of the games, but for some reason I'm always terribly bored playing them.
I've never played, but sort of struggling through Skyrim I'm just starting to see that a lot of these open world games just aren't for me. I'd choose a more linear, deep and focused sandbox to play in rather than one that's huge and you can "do anything".

Before I picked up Skyrim I kind of wished games like Fable 2 had more stuff to do in them but I can see the advantages of what they did.

I understand the appeal of the games, but for some reason I'm always terribly bored playing them.

I agree.

Grand Theft Auto, Prototype, Oblivion, Skyrim were all terribly boring for me.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas were fantastic, and I own Oblivion(5 year anniversary or whatever with all DLC), but I just cannot sit down and play open world games like that without getting bored.

Hey Frankie,

I saw you tweeting about the ThreeA Carter figure. Can we get a Master Chief from ThreeA now, please? Barrow and I will be very happy about it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Frankie's recent Twitter postings courtesy of one TJ Ram.

Big picture of the 3A Toys Carter. This thing is sick. Joints are covered in rubber "fabric" at the right places, it takes watch batteries to power up tiny LEDs for the various illuminated parts. The grenades are canonical (they stick to hips with magnets) and all the fingers are jointed. I mean, I am not into collectibles or action figures, but this thing is blowing my mind. There is even a face behind the visor. Which is almost 100% opaque except under very specific conditions.

ymae4Qs.jpg

Obscured

holy shit

these are amazing features if true

I hope they do something with the way the missions work. I never finished GTAIV because I flipped my boat on some rocks avoiding a rocket and couldn't be bothered to start it all the way over. But overall everything I'm hearing about this sound great.

Now I want to hear what is next for Halo.

Big picture of the 3A Toys Carter. This thing is sick. Joints are covered in rubber "fabric" at the right places, it takes watch batteries to power up tiny LEDs for the various illuminated parts. The grenades are canonical (they stick to hips with magnets) and all the fingers are jointed. I mean, I am not into collectibles or action figures, but this thing is blowing my mind. There is even a face behind the visor. Which is almost 100% opaque except under very specific conditions.

I've always stayed away from collecting (don't want to fall down that slippery slope), but wow that makes my inner 12-year old cry with joy. (never noticed the gameboy on his chest before, that there is a d-pad)

ymae4Qs.jpg

I inmediately associated that pic with winter contingency theme, damn.

I loved the worn out style in theirs armors

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
$220! Trying to find out where (else) it will be sold - we will have it at the Waypoint store: http://halowaypointstore.com/collectibles-and-toys/commander-carter-collectible-figure.html

And you can pre-order now. Diamond is their distributor in the US. They make very small runs, so availability is sometimes challenging.
It is available at Sideshow Collectibles for $219,99. "And you can pre-order now" comes a bit late. The figure is already up for pre-order since last year.

Give us a Master Chief from ThreeA or Hot Toys, Frankie. Make it happen. MAKE IT HAPPEN PLEASE.

(Btw. it is funny, Barrow Roll and I are always talking about the ThreeA's Spartan since pictures are available last month. No one paid attention to it.)

Akai__

GTAV has me so hyped. But is it supposed to be next gen also?

I remember them saying, that they shifted the release date to September, to support next-gen consoles aswell. Would be such a missed opportunity, if they don't make a next gen title.

Unless Microsoft ponied up to have it, I doubt Rockstar are developing it for the next gen systems right now.
Why bother when you have an install base of 100 million+? (combining both 360 & PS3, and rounding down heavily)

Perhaps when they release the PC version, then Rockstar might.

Nah we call you ToothpickBob

:(

I dont know why but I REALLY dont like the idea of switching between different characters in GTA5, I feel like I would hate the fact I could miss stuff. A lot of the stuff they have described also seems too broad, like its cool there are so many options in the game but none of them sound particularly exciting, it seems like a lot of dull content. That said on paper I would have said the same thing about San Andreas but that game was amazing so I guess I need to shut up and wait.

Also Splinter Cell multiplayer trailer looks great, I missed out on Mercs vs Spies the first time round, hopefully this captures the magic.

Tunavi

Banned
on the subject of GTA5, from what it sounds like, the 3 characters work together on big missions, playing different roles and you can switch to each character to play that separate role. So maybe you can switch from gunning to driving/flying to sniping, etc.

each character has kind of an "armor ability" too, but they actually sound interesting.

also, stealth in GTA, oh god yes.

Trasher

ymae4Qs.jpg

How big is this thing? This picture makes it look life size.

Edit: Nm. 13.5 inches tall. The detail on it though is insane. Looks like it could be actual size haha.

My main issue with the core gametype has always been the waypoint. It isn't the only problem I have with it (autopickup, no ability to drop, no loadout restrictions, 1HKO melee), but stealth runs were a huge part of how I played CTF and that's gone now. In contrast, I think making the carrier full speed and giving him a reasonably powerful weapon worked out pretty well. Its a series of steps forward and then backward.

I would rather have them remove the waypoint from the base carrier, then if they're unwilling to allow juggling give them a limited, slower sprint that reveals their location than have a constant waypoint breaking what I liked about CTF.

The reason that they gave was that they wanted to give people an objective-based experience with a a higher player count...but apparently didn't realize that this wasn't what people clamoring for BTB objectives wanted, and it wasn't what 4v4 objective players wanted either. Add in that only two objective gametypes in Halo 4 work even moderately well with high player counts (CTF, Extraction...I guess you can throw Dominion in there even though I have a very low opinion of that gametype), but only one of them is featured in the playlist lumped in with two gametypes like Oddball and King that only work really well in 4v4? Yeah, of course the experience ends up being dedicedly mediocre.

I'm curious, what is your issue with the 1 hit kill objectives?

Tawpgun

also, stealth in GTA, oh god yes.

Biggest thing thats been missing from GTA. San Andreas has a tiny mission with stealth but I want full fledged stealth mechanics.

Also, to relate this back to Halo...

Halo could use some stealth missions too. The AI in Halo typically sees right past your camo. At least in Reach/4. And assassinating enemies somtimes alerts everyone as well.

Biggest disappointment from ODST was that the silencers were a gimmick and there was no stealth killing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
How big is this thing? This picture makes it look life size.

Edit: Nm. 13.5 inches tall. The detail on it though is insane. Looks like it could be actual size haha.

The nerd in me really, really wants this.

ymae4Qs.jpg

How much is it going to be?

I'm totally thinking of getting this if the price is right.

Obscured

:(

I dont know why but I REALLY dont like the idea of switching between different characters in GTA5, I feel like I would hate the fact I could miss stuff. A lot of the stuff they have described also seems too broad, like its cool there are so many options in the game but none of them sound particularly exciting, it seems like a lot of dull content. That said on paper I would have said the same thing about San Andreas but that game was amazing so I guess I need to shut up and wait.

Also Splinter Cell multiplayer trailer looks great, I missed out on Mercs vs Spies the first time round, hopefully this captures the magic.

Rockstar seems to frequently go for pacing, so it isn't all action all the time, sometimes it seems boring, sometimes it really has an impact. Riding through RDR are first going into Mexico were some places where it really worked. So with as big as this game seems to look I could imagine some of that occurring. Could also be interesting storytelling possibilities being able to switch through characters. Also could end up being mind-numbingly boring or confusing.

Seeing that Carter figure with the juxtaposition of talking about switching characters in GTA makes me think Reach would have been cool if each mission was from the POV of each member of Noble team.

Fuchsdh

Seeing that Carter figure with the juxtaposition of talking about switching characters in GTA makes me think Reach would have been cool if each mission was from the POV of each member of Noble team.
Eh I liked staying put but I do wish we got more character time with the individual members.

Tunavi

Banned
Biggest thing thats been missing from GTA. San Andreas has a tiny mission with stealth but I want full fledged stealth mechanics.

Also, to relate this back to Halo...

Halo could use some stealth missions too. The AI in Halo typically sees right past your camo. At least in Reach/4. And assassinating enemies somtimes alerts everyone as well.

Biggest disappointment from ODST was that the silencers were a gimmick and there was no stealth killing.
Yeah, I'm really not entertained by shooting mass amounts of people in videogames anymore, unless its multiplayer. I'm starting to appreciate more interesting enemy encounters that don't reply on just shooting everyone with a machine gun. Stealth, tranquilizers, super-natural powers, etc. Mowing everyone down with a gun makes me feel bad as a person. My biggest gripe with bioshock infinite.

Obscured

Eh I liked staying put but I do wish we got more character time with the individual members.

Yeah, I supposed they did do that with ODST already so would have been seen as a cheap rehash (I don't think it would have been, but I think that would have been the criticism), but I doubt people would hate Kat so much if you were Kat driving during that mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom