• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mix

^That's awesome! We should set up a Texas LAN this summer for everyone who lives here.

I hate living here. The summers are so crowded with tourists and no one knows how to drive around the square. So many accidents
^^the map is called shutout and it's good for swat and throwdowns

So... The space pirates could turn into morph balls?
#LooksLikeMetroid

the actual concept art had some metroid prime feels

But it wasn't. That's the point. Sure they boxed themselves into a corner, but
every single storyline and plot point was invalidated with the ending. And so in the end, all of a sudden Shepard has to accept that he either controls the reapers, destroys them, but loses all technology and AI, or merges all organic and artifical life together.

What was the point of anything in the game though? It felt like a slap in the face. It also made no sense for a lot of people. All of a sudden, the citadel has some type of AI on board that no one could ever detect. It's been there millions of years, etc. And yet in the first game, the reapers needed to control Saren so that he could find and restart the Ilos relay to bring them back etc. If the starchild can control them, can control the citadels movement, has space magic powers, why couldn't he do it before? Why didn't he help sovereign? It was like a deus ex machina almost. What was the point in us curing the genophage, gathering our forces and allies to fight the reaper, if the end was going to invalidate the choices?

I don't know, I guess I got too into the series. But I wasn't alone in the way I felt. I didn't like the backlash, but the fact is, it was nearly unprecedented. Websites, forums, twitter, all on this singular issue. And it's why they all of a sudden reversed course and gave a much better free extended cut ending.

I wonder if you played through the game and viewed the original ending, not the extended cut version and if you'd feel the same. I know I felt like shit for a few days. Like this series I cared about so much, got so into, ended on such a bad note. It's been about a year now, but I got into a lot of the discussions on bioware social network, gamefaqs, twitter back when the game was out.

Though it's a wall of text, this person summed up a lot of the problems. I'm over it now, but as a huge fan of the series, it was a poor ending. Perhaps one of the worst gaming moments in my life.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mas...t-3039s-ending-makes-no-sense-11084281-1.html

The ending was perfect if ME3 was one single game but you actually carried all your stuff from two games just waiting to get you own custom ending but no. The ending even ignore your own ME3 playthrough.

Wow, I looked at your profile to find your GT and I had no idea that you were from Austin! I live about 45 minutes south in New Braunfels. Have you ever been to Schlitterbahn?
I've spent a bit of my life in NB as a kid. Haven't been to Schlitterbahn since before you were born, most likely.

Squid, post when you're gonna be getting on. Im down to play good Halo 4
Holy shit, that's a total of 4 people. I'll force you all to play Doubles Throwdown on my map first, mwahahahahaaa!

*cough*

I'll post when I get on, should be around 5 Central time (4-1/2 hours from now).

Mix

I've spent a bit of my life in NB as a kid. Haven't been to Schlitterbahn since before you were born, most likely.

Holy shit, that's a total of 4 people. I'll force you all to play Doubles Throwdown on my map first, mwahahahahaaa!

*cough*

I'll post when I get on, should be around 5 Central time (4-1/2 hours from now).
Haha, yeah most likely, I'm only 18.

kylej

Banned
delivered

IMG_0173(1).JPG

big

Panasonic makes some incredible plasma TV's. We have 2, and the one in the gameroom has been around since 2007.

Now get a Harmony remote and you'll be in heaven.

HBO: Designing the Prometheans. Plus video.

*Sign* That looked way better.

Just saw this.. I can't believe how much better everything looked and sounded then! The morph ball thing actually seemed like a great dynamic.. as did the destructible bodies. It kills me how the designs changed for the worse (IMO).. Blah. Anyways, I thought it was really interesting and deserved more attention, so I made a thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=57069144#post57069144

delivered

IMG_0173(1).JPG

big

Now if you really want to take care of that television and set yourself up for success, you cannot scimp out on what you have to do.

First, you have to buy this at the all-time low sale price of $339.17, which is a STEAL for what you get.

You are going to have to do expedited shipping as well. You're going to have to pay a professional to calibrate your television for maximum viewing pleasure for a low price of ~$80, and because I'm telling you exactly what to do you are going to have to pay me a $50 royalty fee.

You are going to have the best television experience of your life.

IHaveIce

Banned

*cough*

Sure thing, would love to test your map also.
delivered

IMG_0173(1).JPG

big
Dat TV, dat Car

Now if you really want to take care of that television and set yourself up for success, you cannot scimp out on what you have to do.

First, you have to buy this at the all-time low sale price of $339.17, which is a STEAL for what you get.

You are going to have to do expedited shipping as well. You're going to have to pay a professional to calibrate your television for maximum viewing pleasure for a low price of ~$80, and because I'm telling you exactly what to do you are going to have to pay me a $50 royalty fee.

You are going to have the best television experience of your life.

Not looking to start a war that would derail the thread here, and I know you're just trying to help, McDangles, but I couldn't help but throw my two pennies into the pond on Kyle's behalf.

- DO NOT spend $300 on an HDMI cable. You're throwing money into the trash bin. You can get high quality cables that will give you every bit as good of a picture from Monoprice.com or from Bluejeanscable.com, in the $25-50 range, depending upon what length you need.

- If you want to spend that money on something that actually will improve your picture, look into getting a Darbee Darblet.

- If you're going to get a calibration, get a real one from a real ISF-Certified tech. This will be a lot more than $80, but it will also be a lot better than what you're going to get from some pimple-faced Geek Squad dweeb who doesn't really know what he's doing.

Either the full calibration from a real ISF tech or the addition of the Darblet will get you much more bang for your buck than any HDMI cable.

Is there something bad about playing FPS games on big TVs? Honest question

It depends on seating distance, but in general, the bigger the TV, the further your eyes have to move around in order to see what's happening at the edges. A smaller TV at the same distance makes it easier to take in everything in your FOV at a glance without making your eyes do a bunch of extra work to scan the screen.

It depends on seating distance, but in general, the bigger the TV, the further your eyes have to move around in order to see what's happening at the edges. A smaller TV at the same distance makes it easier to take in everything in your FOV at a glance without making your eyes do a bunch of extra work to scan the screen.

That actually makes a lot of sense when i think about it. Dont have a huge TV so its never even occurred to me. Thanks

Talents

Banned

I always thought the reason people didn't like gaming on big tvs was because of the MS lag.

Fuchsdh

I game on a 24" Vizio HDTV.

Get on my level.

At least it's easy to transport from my dorm to home.
Yeah I've got a 24 in 1080p monitor I switch between my Xbox and using as a second screen for my laptop. 2ms grey to grey response so it's not bad for gaming once you hook it up to some nice speakers.

BigShow36

Yes, and it's something very few people think about or realize is happening. When you play on a larger TV, movements in your thumbs translate to much larger movements in real-world measurements. What used to be a 3-inch movement of your reticle now turns into a 10-inch movement. This makes your mind think your aim is flailing wildly, and you overcompensate as a result. It makes you feel like your aim is off. Obviously you can get used to it, but your aim will be much better on a smaller TV in general. Plus, you can focus better on a smaller screen because the data is much more compact and your eyes don't need to make gross movements just to see everything on screen. Any tournament level FPS player will prefer a smaller TV.

willow ve

Smaller is better for gaming in my opinion. I wouldn't go larger than 30" for a personal gaming setup (with headphones of course).

Bigger sets are great for movies, sports, and social gaming, YouTube sharing, etc., but smaller wins for solo gaming.

Edit: just listen to BigShow

Yes, and it's something very few people think about or realize is happening. When you play on a larger TV, movements in your thumbs translate to much larger movements in real-world measurements. What used to be a 3-inch movement of your reticle now turns into a 10-inch movement. This makes your mind think your aim is flailing wildly, and you overcompensate as a result. It makes you feel like your aim is off. Obviously you can get used to it, but your aim will be much better on a smaller TV in general. Plus, you can focus better on a smaller screen because the data is much more compact and your eyes don't need to make gross movements just to see everything on screen. Any tournament level FPS player will prefer a smaller TV.

I have a 42" HDTV. So me sucking is actually the television's fault?

I KNEW IT

heckfu

Banned
I play everything on a 55". If I cared more about K/D or whatever I'd play on a smaller one but I'm still one of those idiots that just games for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom