• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

I nailed a 40 on that hot potato game too. They just had mad good spawnage, three of them went neg 20 and still won...JEREMIAH YOU HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT OBJECTIVE SETTINGS SHOULD BE.

My connection died. Everyone got off anyways. Everybody was lame tonight.

Enemy spawns were lame tonight.

Madness

I'm not a huge fan. Haven't followed the books. Played the trilogy. I can understand why they'd be upset or loloutraged.

But this ending was inevitable in terms of how complex the situation of the final chapter to the trilogy had become. Fans can complain all they want about it, but it was suitable to the games theme.
---
Halo

But it wasn't. That's the point. Sure they boxed themselves into a corner, but
every single storyline and plot point was invalidated with the ending. And so in the end, all of a sudden Shepard has to accept that he either controls the reapers, destroys them, but loses all technology and AI, or merges all organic and artifical life together.

What was the point of anything in the game though? It felt like a slap in the face. It also made no sense for a lot of people. All of a sudden, the citadel has some type of AI on board that no one could ever detect. It's been there millions of years, etc. And yet in the first game, the reapers needed to control Saren so that he could find and restart the Ilos relay to bring them back etc. If the starchild can control them, can control the citadels movement, has space magic powers, why couldn't he do it before? Why didn't he help sovereign? It was like a deus ex machina almost. What was the point in us curing the genophage, gathering our forces and allies to fight the reaper, if the end was going to invalidate the choices?

I don't know, I guess I got too into the series. But I wasn't alone in the way I felt. I didn't like the backlash, but the fact is, it was nearly unprecedented. Websites, forums, twitter, all on this singular issue. And it's why they all of a sudden reversed course and gave a much better free extended cut ending.

I wonder if you played through the game and viewed the original ending, not the extended cut version and if you'd feel the same. I know I felt like shit for a few days. Like this series I cared about so much, got so into, ended on such a bad note. It's been about a year now, but I got into a lot of the discussions on bioware social network, gamefaqs, twitter back when the game was out.

Though it's a wall of text, this person summed up a lot of the problems. I'm over it now, but as a huge fan of the series, it was a poor ending. Perhaps one of the worst gaming moments in my life.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mas...t-3039s-ending-makes-no-sense-11084281-1.html

GrizzNKev

Banned
I'm with you on the majority of that, Madness. ME1 was one of the best games this Gen, I was very upset with how far Bioware has fallen. Though after the shortest that was Dragon Age 2, I can't say I was surprised.

I think each ME got lamer because they catered to the masses and made it so simplified it was dumb, and each one got more linear and cheesy too. Capitalism sucks cause niche products all lose their main greatness to allow everyone to understand it.

Madness

I think each ME got lamer because they catered to the masses and made it so simplified it was dumb, and each one got more linear and cheesy too. Capitalism sucks cause niche products all lose their main greatness to allow everyone to understand it.

This. I loved the first mass effect. Such a great game. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it worked. I think by the point I got to Ilos, I was so immersed in the game. It was one of my favorite games of this gen, possibly all time. When I finished, I was so excited and hopeful for the future of the series. The characters, the choices, the locales. First time you're on the Citadel and see the Destiny Ascension fly by etc. Overall, the series was great, but I agree the original ME mechanics were dumbed down by end, even dialogue and choices were simplified. It basically started to play itself by the end, choices and dialogue be damned.

I think it's because of the radical change BioWare underwent after being bought out by EA. Lead writers like Drew Karpyshyn moved to Old Republic MMO and retired after. A lot of the staff who worked on ME2 and ME3 were brought on after ME1 was a success.

EDIT: don't get me wrong, I loved Mass Effect 2, but there was something about the first game that hooked me into the series that was sort of missing with the second and third.

reggie

Banned
ME2 and 3 were fine. Ending sucked, but the leviathan DLC helps a lot. The Citadel DLC was fucking AMAZING. Halo needs to take a tip or two from it; aka stop taking yourself so fucking seriously.

Nebula

I made the mistake of going straight into ME3. I enjoyed it for the most part and the ending seemed off to me, and this is as someone who never played the previous two. Going into 3 first made playing 1 an absolute nightmare. Clunky, hard to control and the weapons felt useless and I got bored pretty quickly so I never got to experience the endings of 1 or 2.

I planned to play Halo 3 all weekend, and I tried on Friday and it took 15 minutes to get me into a lobby which I disconnected from before it even got into a game. Ended up stopping there and spending the weekend on Minecraft instead. Got to chill on Monday as well thanks to a bank holiday :)

Nebula

How many people on here have FIFA now? Do we have enough to start a HaloGAF club? I'd need to level up my pro as I mostly play Ultimate Team, but it would be fun to get a few of us on.

I have it, but I'm sure games played with people from UK and America a pretty laggy, in my experience anyway.

Madness

I made the mistake of going straight into ME3. I enjoyed it for the most part and the ending seemed off to me, and this is as someone who never played the previous two. Going into 3 first made playing 1 an absolute nightmare. Clunky, hard to control and the weapons felt useless and I got bored pretty quickly so I never got to experience the endings of 1 or 2.

I planned to play Halo 3 all weekend, and I tried on Friday and it took 15 minutes to get me into a lobby which I disconnected from before it even got into a game. Ended up stopping there and spending the weekend on Minecraft instead. Got to chill on Monday as well thanks to a bank holiday :)

Yeah, but that was the great thing about the first one. Your squad mates and weapon/armor/ammo used actually mattered. As a vanguard, you couldn't use anything but the pistol or shotgun effectively. And the first go around was pretty tough, once you beat the game and started again, you got the Spectre X weapons and with frictionless materials, meant weapons didn't really overheat but did a lot of damage etc.

It wasn't just a flat run to the end with an assault rifle etc. Everything mattered. But I agree if you played from the third first, ME1 seems slow, clunky, with a boring collection system and pointless exploration. But starting from it, it was great. When you are on Ilos in the first, with the great music playing and speak to the prothean AI, it added such wonderment to the game.

When you first played ME3 Neb, did you play with the original ending or the extended cut installed.

Anyways, I can't believe I derailed this thread with mass effect talk. I get a little too into the game seriesv I love. Not about the expanded universe stuff, but the games themselves.

EDIT: As for FIFA, I think 08 was the last one I bought, which is dumb because I was decent at it, but none of my friends really played. EA really put their heart into the games though and made them amazing. Maybe I'll pick up FIFA 14. Any HaloGAF here into the NHL games as well? Or Madden?

heckfu

Banned
How many people on here have FIFA now? Do we have enough to start a HaloGAF club? I'd need to level up my pro as I mostly play Ultimate Team, but it would be fun to get a few of us on.

Me, Biggy, Tawpgun, Booties, and Nutter all have it. I would LOVE to get a season going this summer...get a league table like actual leagues and just take our time playing through it.

Nebula

Yeah, but that was the great thing about the first one. Your squad mates and weapon/armor/ammo used actually mattered. As a vanguard, you couldn't use anything but the pistol or shotgun effectively. And the first go around was pretty tough, once you beat the game and started again, you got the Spectre X weapons and with frictionless materials, meant weapons didn't really overheat but did a lot of damage etc.

It wasn't just a flat run to the end with an assault rifle etc. Everything mattered. But I agree if you played from the third first, ME1 seems slow, clunky, with a boring collection system and pointless exploration. But starting from it, it was great. When you are on Ilos in the first, with the great music playing and speak to the prothean AI, it added such wonderment to the game.

When you first played ME3 Neb, did you play with the original ending or the extended cut installed.

Anyways, I can't believe I derailed this thread with mass effect talk. I get a little too into the game seriesv I love. Not about the expanded universe stuff, but the games themselves.

I played without the extended cut. I've not completed it with it installed either. I wish I understood the ME1 more at the time, but I went in trying to play it like I did ME3 and that never worked, so I tried coming at it differently, still found it annoying to play and quickly got bored. I must have got about 4 hours on it overall so I felt I gave it a decent chance.

Also I got Blood Dragon. I loved the game. Well worth 1200 MS points and definitely fun to play. I got a bit sad though when I jumped down a mountain and managed to hit an angled hill and jump to gain massive momentum to get about quicker. Reminded me of Halo. Still though, completed the main mission in one sitting, and did the collectibles and missions the morning after. Just need the weapon attachments bought and
the 25 blood dragons killed
. Not sure if spoiler tag worthy but just incase.

I think I should stop voting for my own map...

jEvqTaO.jpg

You know how when you take a test you're always told to go with your first instinct? 343 should have taken that advice while designing Halo 4. Everything seemed to be better early on in development before they changed their minds.
... it's a bit easy to say that in retrospect, there's no guarantee that would have been better or even as good.*

*I don't like the Campaign, don't mistake what I'm trying to say here.

HBO: Designing the Prometheans. Plus video.

*Sign* That looked way better.
The morph would have made a more dynamic fight in my impression. The momentum is lost with the Promethean knights. They always feel like they're standing around, doing nothing.(which is true at specific cases) Even if they move, they look slow. They don't look dangerous. Morphing would have solved the problems, teleportation creates. (No idea where the knight teleports to and the health issue which is caused by the length of the teleportation.) Concept seems a lot more interesting. At least 343i admitted their mistakes.

Mix

343 is going to end up trying to make us happy and retcon their own game. Their FIRST game. Don't worry, though 343, I believe in you!
SLRP

But it wasn't. That's the point. Sure they boxed themselves into a corner, but
every single storyline and plot point was invalidated with the ending. And so in the end, all of a sudden Shepard has to accept that he either controls the reapers, destroys them, but loses all technology and AI, or merges all organic and artifical life together.

What was the point of anything in the game though? It felt like a slap in the face. It also made no sense for a lot of people. All of a sudden, the citadel has some type of AI on board that no one could ever detect. It's been there millions of years, etc. And yet in the first game, the reapers needed to control Saren so that he could find and restart the Ilos relay to bring them back etc. If the starchild can control them, can control the citadels movement, has space magic powers, why couldn't he do it before? Why didn't he help sovereign? It was like a deus ex machina almost. What was the point in us curing the genophage, gathering our forces and allies to fight the reaper, if the end was going to invalidate the choices?

I don't know, I guess I got too into the series. But I wasn't alone in the way I felt. I didn't like the backlash, but the fact is, it was nearly unprecedented. Websites, forums, twitter, all on this singular issue. And it's why they all of a sudden reversed course and gave a much better free extended cut ending.

I wonder if you played through the game and viewed the original ending, not the extended cut version and if you'd feel the same. I know I felt like shit for a few days. Like this series I cared about so much, got so into, ended on such a bad note. It's been about a year now, but I got into a lot of the discussions on bioware social network, gamefaqs, twitter back when the game was out.

Though it's a wall of text, this person summed up a lot of the problems. I'm over it now, but as a huge fan of the series, it was a poor ending. Perhaps one of the worst gaming moments in my life.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mas...t-3039s-ending-makes-no-sense-11084281-1.html
I don't fully disagree with key points were made in his posts. But I agree that the attack to the conduit & citadel writing & gameplay fashion felt like it was rushed.

There's too much over analyzing on his end that in which doing so Ruined his own experience. It wasn't a Great ending or Perfect ending. Imo it was suitable. When I said it was "Good" I didn't care fully the fashion that BW made the dialogue & gameplay towards the conduit & citadel. Don't get me wrong I immediately caught all the questionable scenarios in which his points came across from what a player will definitely experience If they're fully paying attention.

If Im not mistakend. Within Harbinger, has somewhat the ability to mind control you abit even though you weren't fully indoctrinated. I remembered the Matriarch was slowing realizing this while being aboard Sovereign and "Listening" to Seren had made his words so overly hypnotic until later on her fate had been indoctrinated.

I assumed that the Illusiveman had acquired a similar ability.

Also Mass Effect 1 is godlike. 2 & 3 was a spinoff experience yet knowing they made it more mobile shooter sequels. Stupid idea imo.

Edit: HolyfuckingMetroidShit at Proto-Promy Knight!!!!

Alright. Next game up for grabs is Dishonored. Quite and post if you want it!
dammit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

god help me, but I played 5 games of Reach last night (I blame juices). By myself. And it was fun.

I really hope 343 does a huge overhaul of their user interface systems for the next game. Reach's menus are elegant, intuitive, and gives a player necessary information about his/her opponent; H4lo is the opposite of that in every facet.

Fuchsdh

The morph would have made a more dynamic fight in my impression. The momentum is lost with the Promethean knights. They always feel like they're standing around, doing nothing.(which is true at specific cases) Even if they move, they look slow. They don't look dangerous. Morphing would have solved the problems, teleportation creates. (No idea where the knight teleports to and the health issue which is caused by the length of the teleportation.) Concept seems a lot more interesting. At least 343i admitted their mistakes.
I disagree on the morphing, teleportation makes more sense for the Forerunners to. If you wanted it to be more predictable, they should have used the teleportation effect from CE/2--the bright distortion and ripple effect before they actually appeared.

Shooting limbs off them could have also helped with them feeling like bullet sponges, even if their actual HP values were unchanged.

dammit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

god help me, but I played 5 games of Reach last night (I blame juices). By myself. And it was fun.

I really hope 343 does a huge overhaul of their user interface systems for the next game. Reach's menus are elegant, intuitive, and gives a player necessary information about his/her opponent; H4lo is the opposite of that in every facet.

Reach's multiplayer lobby UI is quite possibly the best console lobby I've ever used. Blops 2 may be a bit better, but I haven't spent nearly as much time there as I did with Reach.

I'm really curious as to what kind of kinect integration they were planning, since the H4 UI is obviously designed for that kind of interface.

shooting limbs off them could have also helped with them feeling like bullet sponges, even if their actual HP values were unchanged.

I think my major issue is that they don't react to shots at all. when you shoot a grunt/jackal/elite they flail and react. With the forerunners it's like shooting robots, which leads to a disconnect in the feedback mechanism.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I love Reach's UI, I just wasn't thrilled by some of the coloring and the background images. Halo 4's baseball cards need to go though, and I see 343 is hiring UI and UX positions, so it sounds like they agree.

Reach's multiplayer lobby UI is quite possibly the best console lobby I've ever used. Blops 2 may be a bit better, but I haven't spent nearly as much time there as I did with Reach.

I'm really curious as to what kind of kinect integration they were planning, since the H4 UI is obviously designed for that kind of interface.
When comparing the UI between Reach and Halo 4, it's like comparing interiors of a finely crafted luxury car and a cheap economy model respectively. The problem is that, apparently, the cheap economy car cost more than the luxury version. It's a mark of shame that Halo 4's lobby actually has framerate issues on top of being clunky and generally useless for opponent information.

I love Reach's UI, I just wasn't thrilled by some of the coloring and the background images. Halo 4's baseball cards need to go though, and I see 343 is hiring UI and UX positions, so it sounds like they agree.
They outsourced all of that for Halo 4, correct? I certainly hope 343 has parted ways with most, if not all, of these other collaborators for future titles.

Karl2177

I think my major issue is that they don't react to shots at all. when you shoot a grunt/jackal/elite they flail and react. With the forerunners it's like shooting robots, which leads to a disconnect in the feedback mechanism.
This make we wonder what the scythe is tagged as, because everything that is tagged with the sword was bugged to hell(mostly because the sword modified how the biped moved when taking damage). I wonder if there are systems for reactions but they are being ignored because the scythe is acting like a sword instead of something like a Hunter shield.

Mix

When comparing the UI between Reach and Halo 4, it's like comparing interiors of a finely crafted luxury car and a cheap economy model respectively. The problem is that, apparently, the cheap economy car cost more than the luxury version. It's a mark of shame that Halo 4's lobby actually has framerate issues on top of being clunky and generally useless for opponent information.

They outsourced all of that for Halo 4, correct? I certainly hope 343 has parted ways with most, if not all, of these other collaborators for future titles.
I want to know why they outsourced everything. Were they afraid they didn't have the correct resources and so they hired as many other companies as they could? Did they come to Microsoft and say they'd like to work on a halo game? It just doesn't makes sense to me.
343'd post! Yay!

Booties

Banned

I have it, but I'm sure games played with people from UK and America a pretty laggy, in my experience anyway.

Me, Biggy, Tawpgun, Booties, and Nutter all have it. I would LOVE to get a season going this summer...get a league table like actual leagues and just take our time playing through it.

I'm down.

By the way, the Midship-inspired map Onyx that was posted here yesterdy (It was IHaveIce who linked it), seems really awesome from just doing a forgethrough. I'll happily run some Throwdown customs with anyone who wants to play it later.

Would people wan another game like ODST? Perhaps "Halo 4: ODST" or "Halo 4: Infinity" that gives a nice, standalone single player experience and a large update with new content to Halo: 4's MP? It seems like it would be more likely than an entirely new game this fall, and I suspect they want Halo to be represented in some form or another. Either way, assuming there will be something new Halo related, this seems to be the first time we don't have any clue what will be shown at e3 in a long time.

Btw, I miss Bungie. They knew how to support a franchise and build hype and mystery around the next big thing. 343 should learn a few trick from Bungie on how to keep the community curious.

Mix

By the way, the Midship-inspired map Onyx that was posted here yesterdy (I believe it was Cyren who linked it), seems really awesome from just doing a forgethrough. I'll happily run some Throwdown customs with anyone who wants to play it later.
That sounds awesome. I'd love to help

IHaveIce

Banned
By the way, the Midship-inspired map Onyx that was posted here yesterdy (I believe it was Cyren who linked it), seems really awesome from just doing a forgethrough. I'll happily run some Throwdown customs with anyone who wants to play it later.
I linked it and yes I ran around on it and it was awesome would be in for customs. Gt IHaveAnIce

Also want to see the new destiny stuff in the new Gameinformer.

Booties

Banned
New maps you say? More fun in rumble pit you say?

JIP
Haven
Infinity settings

Everyone has ordnances already when I JIP. Fucking boring map I play 100x a day. Spawn in the same spot 5 times. Spawning on top of one another.

Scrap all this shit 343. It still sucks balls.

Would people wan another game like ODST? Perhaps "Halo 4: ODST" or "Halo 4: Infinity" that gives a nice, standalone single player experience and a large update with new content to Halo: 4's MP? It seems like it would be more likely than an entirely new game this fall, and I suspect they want Halo to be represented in some form or another. Either way, assuming there will be something new Halo related, this seems to be the first time we don't have any clue what will be shown at e3 in a long time.

Btw, I miss Bungie. They knew how to support a franchise and build hype and mystery around the next big thing. 343 should learn a few trick from Bungie on how to keep the community curious.
Looking back at Spartan Ops now that it's finished, I can say with all certainty that I would have preferred it to be more akin to ODST in terms of the hubworld and branching stories that tied in together (but with one central character that you play compared to ODST), and the Firefight-style gameplay combined with the customization that Reach had.

Imagine a more fleshed-out hubworld that could be updated every month alongside a new episode (monthly release for new content is a good tradeoff in terms of putting out quality missions. I feel SpOps really suffered because of the fast-paced release schedule). Not only could you throw in new enemy progression/tactics to keep the gameplay fresh for the hub, but you could also go as far as throwing some new and different easter eggs in there to enhance the experience a la the wall in Valhalla.

That sounds awesome. I'd love to help

Hit me up, grandpa
Cool deal.

I linked it and yes I ran around on it and it was awesome would be in for customs. Gt IHaveAnIce

Also want to see the new destiny stuff in the new Gameinformer.
sweet

Mix

Looking back at Spartan Ops now that it's finished, I can say with all certainty that I would have preferred it to be more akin to ODST in terms of the hubworld and branching stories that tied in together (but with one central character that you play compared to ODST), and the Firefight-style gameplay combined with the customization that Reach had.

Imagine a more fleshed-out hubworld that could be updated every month alongside a new episode (monthly release for new content is a good tradeoff in terms of putting out quality missions. I feel SpOps really suffered because of the fast-paced release schedule). Not only could you throw in new enemy progression/tactics to keep the gameplay fresh for the hub, but you could also go as far as throwing some new and different easter eggs in there to enhance the experience a la the wall in Valhalla.

Cool deal.

sweet
Wow, I looked at your profile to find your GT and I had no idea that you were from Austin! I live about 45 minutes south in New Braunfels. Have you ever been to Schlitterbahn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom