• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadNames

Banned
If Halo 4 was just Halo 3 with better netcode, new maps and new graphics (in terms of Campaign), would it still hold a population?

MormaPope

Banned
If Halo 4 was just Halo 3 with better netcode, new maps and new graphics (in terms of Campaign), would it still hold a population?

Only thing I really miss are the maps, the elephant, and the maps. Halo 3 had pretty well designed maps, didn't constantly get stuck on shit, things wouldn't block line of sight across the map.

u4iX

Only thing I really miss are the maps, the elephant, and the maps. Halo 3 had pretty well designed maps, didn't constantly get stuck on shit, things wouldn't block line of sight across the map.

Halo 3 was notorious for grenades getting stuck on shit.

Guardian was a nightmarish, hellscape... Especially in Blue 2 doorways.

wwm0nkey

He's actually being generous. If Team Throwdown is the secret MLG playlist, which it is, then it's peak population is 1.7% of the daily peak

hmmmmm, you know what I wonder what would happen if they called it Team Slayer and moved it to the top of the list

MormaPope

Banned
Halo 3 was notorious for grenades getting stuck on shit.

Guardian was a nightmarish, hellscape... Especially in Blue 2 doorways.

The stuck on stuff comment was more for player movement, I've gotten stuck in doorways and random objects in Halo 4 and have died plenty of times because of it. I do remember grenades either getting stuck or basically sticking/plopping into the floor/ground in 3.

Sai-kun

Banned
grenades on sandbox
negativeman-55f.png

Yea I hope they get they cant use those numbers because the competitive community left Halo. So the numbers there is an inaccurate representation. The competitive community is busy leaving for games where they can win some cash at. CoD, LoL.

The only people left are casuals and a small small amount of like these weird ass sympathizers like Tashi, who actually know what a good game is but continue to play the trash they are given, morphed the best they can into something they want to play.

u4iX

The stuck on stuff comment was more for player movement, I've gotten stuck in doorways and random objects in Halo 4 and have died plenty of times because of it. I do remember grenades either getting stuck or basically sticking/plopping into the floor/ground in 3.

Ah, yes. Movement in that regard was much cleaner.

Probably had something to do with sprint as well...

Tawpgun

He's actually being generous. If Team Throwdown is the secret MLG playlist, which it is, then it's peak population is 1.7% of the daily peak

No one is argueing that default settings are going to bring in more numbers. This will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be the case.

But trying to imagine a Halo tournament with money or some kind of sweet prize on the line and having it be Infinity Settings? Good lord.

Halo 1-3, even Reach to an extent, assuming precision weapon starts, a tournament with money on the line with default settings would be fine. Sure its not AS competitive as MLG settings, but it gets the job done.

Halo 4 is the first Halo game where the base gameplay seems like it belongs in Action Sack.

bbprIzV.png

*sigh*

When is Virgin going away?

The problem with this is that default Halo, thanks to Matchmaking limiting players, is never the game we want to play.

The default settings should be what works best for the game, not what the devs want to force feed us. For example, Halo 3 could've benefited from default 110% speed across all playlists, but nope.

FyreWulff

No one is argueing that default settings are going to bring in more numbers. This will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be the case.

But trying to imagine a Halo tournament with money or some kind of sweet prize on the line and having it be Infinity Settings? Good lord.

Halo 1-3, even Reach to an extent, assuming precision weapon starts, a tournament with money on the line with default settings would be fine. Sure its not AS competitive as MLG settings, but it gets the job done.

Halo 4 is the first Halo game where the base gameplay seems like it belongs in Action Sack.

Believe me, I'm in agreement that Infinity settings aren't what I would think of as tournament compatible.

Yeah, and it's weird how Action Sack in this game is almost the normal playlist

Gentleman's Rules going on in this Castle map pack stream.
Mostly everyone is using BRs, nobody is using Camo/Promethean vision, no boltshots.
Must be nice.

Wow playing Halo CE immediately after Reach does make you feel like a true super soldier. The movement speed, strafe, and just the speed of the combat feels so great. Reach is like slow mo baby status compared to this.

Tawpgun

Believe me, I'm in agreement that Infinity settings aren't what I would think of as tournament compatible.

Yeah, and it's weird how Action Sack in this game is almost the normal playlist

I've been championing Legendary Slayer for a while now and I'm gonna do it again. As far as "saving" Halo 4 goes, I think Legendary Slayer is the last and best chance. Settings that are fair and consistent while still having mass appeal. It's gonna be hard getting people away from Infinity Slayer, but 343 should swallow their pride and try and encourage it.

What if, for one week, Infinity Slayer was gone. BTB Infinity got replaced with revamped BTB playlist with set loadouts and maps adjusted so weapons spawn on them. And then Infinity gets replaced with Legendary Slayer.

Get feedback.

Havok

It's gonna be hard getting people away from Infinity Slayer, but 343 should swallow their pride and try and encourage it.
The continuation of their ridiculous, obtuse naming scheme a la Super Slayer isn't helping.
What if, for one week, Infinity Slayer was gone. BTB Infinity got replaced with revamped BTB playlist with set loadouts and maps adjusted so weapons spawn on them. And then Infinity gets replaced with Legendary Slayer.

Get feedback.
The last time they tried to get feedback through experimenting with switching matchmaking settings was the horrible, fundamentally flawed vanilla/TU Team Slayer voting nonsense, which threw the scientific method so far out the window that I'm not sure they'd be able to find it again. They need to decide what they want to do and just do it already, because no test they've done has actually given them anything (whether by virtue of bad experimental design or general population player tendency). Constantly hedging their bets has bitten them in the ass twice now and satisfied nobody, first with the Reach TU and then with...well, the entire handling of Halo 4.

FyreWulff

I've been championing Legendary Slayer for a while now and I'm gonna do it again. As far as "saving" Halo 4 goes, I think Legendary Slayer is the last and best chance. Settings that are fair and consistent while still having mass appeal. It's gonna be hard getting people away from Infinity Slayer, but 343 should swallow their pride and try and encourage it.

Get feedback.

Remember how they were going to have a beta playlist in Reach and then collect feedback before pushing beta settings into the rest of matchmaking?

Then they just released all the beta settings directly into matchmaking and the beta playlist just kind of existed for a few months?

Then we had a Team Slayer 'feedback' system that left us with two slayer playlists that were clones of each other and the deletion of Squad Slayer?

Be careful what you wish for. I can't convince them to delete 5v5 CTF on Skyline even though I've dropped reams of evidence that you spawn on top of the flags. And this isn't "I dropped it and they haven't responded", no, I've gotten actual pushback. It's a waste of time to give 343 any sorts of feedback on Halo 4.

This is a much pissier post than I usually right, but I'm just so irritated by that last thing.

Remember how they were going to have a beta playlist in Reach and then collect feedback before pushing beta settings into the rest of matchmaking?

Then they just released all the beta settings directly into matchmaking and the beta playlist just kind of existed for a few months?

Then we had a Team Slayer 'feedback' system that left us with two slayer playlists that were clones of each other and the deletion of Squad Slayer?

Be careful what you wish for. I can't convince them to delete 5v5 CTF on Skyline even though I've dropped reams of evidence that you spawn on top of the flags. And this isn't "I dropped it and they haven't responded", no, I've gotten actual pushback. It's a waste of time to give 343 any sorts of feedback on Halo 4.

iTkAhlT.gif

wwm0nkey

Off topic as hell again but Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon's description is amazing.

Far Cry® 3 Blood Dragon is THE Kick-Ass Cyber Shooter taking place on a bizarre open-world island crawling with evil. Welcome to an 80’s VHS vision of the future. The year is 2007 and you are Sargent Rex Colt, a Mark IV Cyber Commando who’s fighting against a cyborg army gone rogue. Your mission: get the girl, kill the baddies, and save the world. Experience every cliché of a VHS era vision of a nuclear future, where cyborgs, blood dragons, mutants, and Michael Biehn (Terminator, Aliens, Navy Seals) collide. Playing Far Cry® 3 Blood Dragon doesn't require a copy of Far Cry® 3.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Apparently Daybreak is a bit smaller. They said on the stream that the bases are a tiny bit closer than Standoff from Halo 3 I believe. That's a nice sized map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom