• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok

What do you guys think about this comment from Jonathan Blow:

Obviously the situation is very different when you think about this in terms of multiplayer gameplay.
However, what do you guys think about this in the context of Halo's campaign?

I think he makes somewhat of a valid point about not being able to build up tension that lasts over a minute or two.
I can't think of many examples off the top of my head of times of times when they addressed this other than perhaps Halo:CE's Library level when you are running aways from endless flood, although I am sure there have got to be more...
It's a pretty big oversimplification that ignores other factors that contribute to tension. You can still build long-term tension with recharging health through things like forcing ammo and weapon management, something Halo (CE in particular) does well. Like most things of the "this killed shooters forever!!!" variety that people attribute to Halo, bad design surrounding the element in question is the real problem. I generally prefer the hybrid system of CE and Reach because you do have to be a little more careful and you get a little bit more of that tension, but the recharge dynamic works in Halo PvE because the Elites operate on the same rules, more or less, as the player. The "hide and seek" playstyle that people love to hate just doesn't apply to them, since you're forced to finish what you've started or start from square one with less ammo. You can't really say the same for a modern military shooter.

It is definitely a different story for multiplayer. Being able to reset your health automagically between kills is a big plus, otherwise you could presumably end up in situation where two players at equal skill level can just trade kills back and forth since one spawns with a higher health pool than how he left the other player.

Jonathan Blow has made an interesting game, but he ignores things that don't fit his argument sometimes. It's hard to look past the attitude.

CyReN

PDZ is probably the most satisfying FPS I completed this gen because of its health system and level design. No lie. Absolute regen works in Halo because of its weapon design, but I am way past every game doing it just cus. I miss being accountable for mistakes.

One of the biggest disappointments for me this gen.

Computron

Also Jonathan Blow is a pretentious ass and nobody should ever use him as a benchmark or guide on game development

As much as I would normally agree, the low pass thing kinda rings true in Halo games without health packs. I think Reach and ODST actually did pretty well in this regard, which he fails to mention at all.

Of course, keep that stuff out of multi and all, but the singleplayer, co-op, firefight does seem to benefit.

This all reminds me, I wish we had ODST style hardcore life-based Firefight again. Reach's MM offering just didn't cut it.

Is there anyway get the chain-hog in that Reach firefight DLC map for customs? We should run that sometime soon if possible.

As much as I would normally agree, the low pass thing kinda rings true in Halo games without health packs. I think Reach and ODST actually did pretty well in this regard, which he fails to mention at all.

Of course, keep that stuff out of multi and all, but the singleplayer, co-op, firefight does seem to benefit.

This all reminds me, I wish we had ODST style hardcore life-based Firefight again. Reach's MM offering just didn't cut it.

Is there anyway get the chain-hog in that Reach firefight DLC map for customs? We should run that sometime soon if possible.

Yes. I forget what specifics spawn it, but it should be there at the start in most default variants. More interesting to me is the friendly Pelican drop that has an ODST on the gun. I forget how you get it since I've only played Installation 04 in MM (read: Score Attack), for the most part, which isn't long enough for the supply drop.

Computron

It's a pretty big oversimplification that ignores other factors that contribute to tension. You can build long-term tension with recharging health through forcing ammo and weapon management, something Halo (CE in particular) does well. Like most things of the "this killed shooters forever!!!" variety that people attribute to Halo, bad design surrounding the element in question is the real problem. I generally prefer the hybrid system of CE and Reach because you do have to be a little more careful and you get a little bit more of that tension, but the recharge dynamic works in Halo PvE because the Elites operate on the same rules, more or less, as the player. The "hide and seek" playstyle that people love to hate just doesn't apply to them, since you're forced to finish what you've started or start from square one with less ammo. You can't really say the same for a modern military shooter.

Great point. That hadn't come to my mind.

That kinda makes it clearer to me why I didn't really enjoy BS:I's combat and their respawing system.

Man, I want to play Halo campaign now...

I like tension built through the first levels showing you the ropes and then difficulty increasing in the later levels. Unfortunately Halo campaigns dont really do this so I'm not a huge fan of Halo campaigns.

It's a pretty big oversimplification that ignores other factors that contribute to tension. You can still build long-term tension with recharging health through things like forcing ammo and weapon management, something Halo (CE in particular) does well. Like most things of the "this killed shooters forever!!!" variety that people attribute to Halo, bad design surrounding the element in question is the real problem. I generally prefer the hybrid system of CE and Reach because you do have to be a little more careful and you get a little bit more of that tension, but the recharge dynamic works in Halo PvE because the Elites operate on the same rules, more or less, as the player. The "hide and seek" playstyle that people love to hate just doesn't apply to them, since you're forced to finish what you've started or start from square one with less ammo. You can't really say the same for a modern military shooter.

It is definitely a different story for multiplayer. Being able to reset your health automagically between kills is a big plus, otherwise you could presumably end up in situation where two players at equal skill level can just trade kills back and forth since one spawns with a higher health pool than how he left the other player.

Jonathan Blow has made an interesting game, but he ignores things that don't fit his argument sometimes. It's hard to look past the attitude.
I think the bolded is one the biggest failings of Halo 4's campaign. The rapidly disappearing weapons really break the flow of the classic Halo gameplay and before long everything else falls apart with it.

One of the biggest disappointments for me this gen.
It was for me too, until I replayed it last year. I mean it's really jank in a lot of ways and the character designs were shat on and whatever else, but playing through it on Perfect Agent will test your mettle. You're not just gonna wing it through levels and crawl your way through with checkpoints, you've gotta be on point the entire time. It ended up having more in common with what I liked about the original than I originally thought and I left with satisfaction.

FyreWulff

If you notice, even in the Halo games (well, at least up to 3, I don't remember in 4), the scenery health packs were after all the big battles anyway. So they were placed like the game still used them, then they removed the functionality later.

It's also funny that no fall damage became a thing because Bungie couldn't figure out how to make the sword not kill you from fall damage when used. A bandaid to get a weapon to function correctly becomes part of the sandbox of the numbered games

Tawpgun

If you notice, even in the Halo games (well, at least up to 3, I don't remember in 4), the scenery health packs were after all the big battles anyway. So they were placed like the game still used them, then they removed the functionality later.

It's also funny that no fall damage became a thing because Bungie couldn't figure out how to make the sword not kill you from fall damage when used. A bandaid to get a weapon to function correctly becomes part of the sandbox of the numbered games

Fuck the people who claim it made it more casual babby halo, I loved no fall damage.

I could have sworn there was also a networking component about it, too. A lot of the "warp" lagging in Halo 2 would have killed players from basic jumps. Reach has this issue when it lags a lot, but thankfully not too often. I've only been fall-damage killed a few times by lag, comparatively speaking.

Computron

I like tension built through the first levels showing you the ropes and then difficulty increasing in the later levels. Unfortunately Halo campaigns dont really do this so I'm not a huge fan of Halo campaigns.

I think Blow's point was more about the contingency between encounters, in the medium-long term. Not necessarily between levels.

Havok makes an excellent point about the role that ammo and weapons play between medium-long term encounters. I think Health packs can fit an even longer term depending how they are set up.

However, I think the other point about the PvE equality between spartans and elites makes more sense in the shorter terms since that has a bigger effect on the current encounter.
I mean that in the sense that you will likely be able to regain some of the ammo after you finish the current encounter and aren't pinned down to your piece of cover by those damn elites.

BTW, Do the enemies ever run out of ammo? I don't recall that ever happening, but I do recall running out of all my ammo many times in Legendary Halo 2's cairo station ending elite encounter and being forced to makes some kamikaze move or reload a checkpoint...

Madness

I think the bolded is one the biggest failings of Halo 4's campaign. The rapidly disappearing weapons really break the flow of the classic Halo gameplay and before long everything else falls apart with it.

In b4 the usual guys who say we're all noobs because we can't headshot people with suppressors yet or haven't adapted. It's one of the biggest complaints in the game.You can't even attempt to melee them either. Weapons disappear too fast and ammo boxes are too far and few with the damage sponge enemies.

wwm0nkey

Ok so after playing a bit of Halo 3 today I now understand more of why I just don't like Halo 4, I know I have said these before but after playing Halo 3 again it has made it SO much more apparent.

Weapons and Grenades on map - Every one starts on the same footing and weapons, power ups and grenades encourage you to go to particular parts of the maps which is good for flow.

Vehicle Combat- with no PP or Plasma Grenades at the start vehicles become a very good option and when players see a warthog they go to the area's that either have Rockets, Plasma Grenades or a Spartan Laser, areas that the other team are sure to go to to prevent anti-vehicle attack which also helps with map/combat flow.

Also while playing and remembering when I got into Halo 2 as a kid I have one question. HOW THE FUCK IS THIS NOT AN "ACCESSIBLE" GAME!? Like its not hard to get into and it was not hard to get into Halo 2 when I was in middle school. It takes a grand total of like 4 matches to know whats going on and then after that you just get better and better as you build your personal skills.

Playing Halo 3 again was fun but has kind of made me rage because while I like Halo 3, Halo 4 has a vastly superior BR/aiming system and Netcode.

In b4 the usual guys who say we're all noobs because we can't headshot people with suppressors yet or haven't adapted. It's one of the biggest complaints in the game.You can't even attempt to melee them either. Weapons disappear too fast and ammo boxes are too fat and few with the damage sponge enemies.
Sitting at one end of an encounter with a Suppressor and Bolt Shot on Legendary with high ranking Knights just sitting there eating all of my ammo isn't fun. Not having any weapons on the field isn't fun. Running out of ammo and hoping my assassination attempt will work isn't fun.

And every time I think about how much the weapon despawn system sucked I get really angry. I hate Halo 4's campaign with a passion sometimes.

HTupolev

What do you guys think about this comment from Jonathan Blow:
Eh, he draws a very sharp line between full-non-regen and full-regen.

What I like the most about having at least some non-regenerating component is that it permits lower damage tables without making things too easy. Halo 1's legendary is still challenging despite having vastly lower damage tables than Halo 2's. It also uses low enemy projectile speeds most of the time. It seems to encourage more interesting maneuvering in campaign gunplay, especially when paired with things like a more difficult noob combo (which works fine, because Halo 1's elites are entirely manageable without the player needing to resort to effortless instagib techniques).

Seems like it provided benefits to ODST as well. For instance, ODST seems to solve the jackal sniper problem better than Halo 3 did, keeping them threatening without causing them to totally screw you over if you happened to miss one.

I can't think of many examples off the top of my head of times of times when they addressed this other than perhaps Halo:CE's Library level when you are running aways from endless flood, although I am sure there have got to be more...
Endless Flood in the Library? Funny, it's usually swept pretty clean when I'm through with it. :)

//=================

By the way, Marathon's health system is awesome.

FyreWulff

There's an opportunity there.

Adds some "reloading" (Wait, they at least had that, right? I don't recall...) or "out of ammo" dialogue lines and some Kamikaze/sword-rush AI routines for when you've pinned them dry long enough.

I think they fake reloading sometimes. The Elites can also overheat their plasma rifles.

edit: wait, now I'm not sure if the AI ever reloads

kylej

Banned
i don't think jon blow is pretentious, I think he believes completely in himself and doesn't care if people agree or disagree with his opinions, and that attitude can rub people the wrong way

Computron

Endless Flood in the Library? Funny, it's usually swept pretty clean when I'm through with it. :)

Its the only example I could think of off the top of my head because back when Halo CE was out, I just ran like hell through that creepy-ass place. It made an impression which is kinda lost, nowadays, replaying through it.
You get pretty accustomed to seeing flood after a few games. (And generally pretty calm around horror aspects after years of gaming.)

Its kinda like that Gears of War 1 nostalgia thread that was making the rounds earlier in the week on GAF.
The Survival Horror aspect of that series was much more pressing when you only saw berserkers or corpsers maybe once or twice in the game, in their own section.
Now you see mini corpsers swarms everywhere and berserkers are commonplace. It really cheapens it.

Its kinda like that Gears of War 1 nostalgia thread that was making the rounds earlier in the week on GAF. The Survival horror aspect of that series was much more pressing when you only saw berserkers or corpsers twice in the game in their own section. Now you see mini corpsers swarms and berserkers are commonplace.

The only time I ever felt gears was survival horror was the lambent wretches at that facility during the night.

Madness

The only time I ever felt gears was survival horror was the lambent wretches at that facility during the night.

Oh man. Or the kryll. Actually I nearly shit my pants playing the berserker part because it's terrifying when you can only run from an enemy and not engage it.

And then, you had to let it charge you and roll out of the way.

I think it lost a lot of that feel of dread with the later games. But you're right about the lambent wretches in that factory.

Computron

IDK Stalker, there were Kryll, dark gothic buildings, emergence holes bursting everywhere, endless hoards of enemies, dark streets and co-op lights, General RAAM, Last ditch Lightmass-Bomb plan for humanity, etc...

Seems pretty survival horror to me.

Hell, even Gears 2's halestorm research facility mission....

The small section with the Beserker up until you get in the sunlight and roast the bitch was pretty tense but scary? I don't know.

The Kryll section I suppose how it could be considered Horror but I never felt that way I was too focused on the mechanics the first time around and numbed to the atmosphere on subsequent runs.

The New Hope Research Facility in GoW2 is probably the only other survival horror section for me. But that's let down when you go outside and have to focus on remaining under roof.

Tawpgun

Gears is not survival horror.

I haven't even played Dead Space, but I know that there is a textbook example of survival horror being made into an action game. Same with Resident Evil.

HTupolev

I think they fake reloading sometimes. The Elites can also overheat their plasma rifles.

edit: wait, now I'm not sure if the AI ever reloads
They have funny behaviour.

Halo 1 example: You can watch the needles on a grunt's needler run down as they shoot, and they reload when it gets visibly empty, but if you then kill them the amount in the weapon doesn't make sense when you pick it up.

Its the only example I could think of off the top of my head because back when Halo 1 was out, I just ran like hell through that creepy ass place. It made an impression which is kinda lost, nowadays, replaying through it. You get pretty accustomed to seeing flood after a few games. (And generally pretty calm around horror aspects after years of gaming.)
I never thought of 343GS/The Library as having very much pure horror, more just really awesome general atmosphere. 343GS is creepy and claustraphobic, but not really all that scary. What got me as an 11-year-old kid playing the game was the level Keyes. Dat dude's fate.
It worked brilliantly with The Maw. Halo 1 has very strong weaving between narrative flow and time of day (and gameplay flow among other things, but whatever). Seeing the new morning with the Autumn on the horizon after that long night (which was both literally and figuratively at its darkest right before you see the dawn)... Simple, good, strong stuff.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
They have funny behaviour.

Halo 1 example: You can watch the needles on a grunt's needler run down as they shoot, and they reload when it gets visibly empty, but if you then kill them the amount in the weapon doesn't make sense when you pick it up.

Ammo amounts are always really weird. Sometimes you get Energy Swords with 1% battery and Light Rifles with an amount of bullets that's not a multiple of 3. in Halo 4.

Ok so after playing a bit of Halo 3 today I now understand more of why I just don't like Halo 4, I know I have said these before but after playing Halo 3 again it has made it SO much more apparent.

Weapons and Grenades on map - Every one starts on the same footing and weapons, power ups and grenades encourage you to go to particular parts of the maps which is good for flow.

Vehicle Combat- with no PP or Plasma Grenades at the start vehicles become a very good option and when players see a warthog they go to the area's that either have Rockets, Plasma Grenades or a Spartan Laser, areas that the other team are sure to go to to prevent anti-vehicle attack which also helps with map/combat flow.

Also while playing and remembering when I got into Halo 2 as a kid I have one question. HOW THE FUCK IS THIS NOT AN "ACCESSIBLE" GAME!? Like its not hard to get into and it was not hard to get into Halo 2 when I was in middle school. It takes a grand total of like 4 matches to know whats going on and then after that you just get better and better as you build your personal skills.

Playing Halo 3 again was fun but has kind of made me rage because while I like Halo 3, Halo 4 has a vastly superior BR/aiming system and Netcode.

Both of these made me think of how we got the Global Ordnance being random. 343's reasoning was that players didn't know where the power weapons were and when they were spawning, so the better players kept dominating.

What was their solution? Randomized Global Ordnance + Infinity gametypes. <-- Solves nothing and only serves to frustrate players.

What was the better solution? Put a timer and a waypoint on where/when the power weapons were spawning. <-- Knowledge is power.*

I would like to think Halo fans have been with the franchise for a long time and are aware of the PR jibber jabber we're still being fed. Bungie did it for years, but it seems people in general are more conscious of it now. Halo fans have been in a rough place for quite some time..

*Tangent: It also baffles me how they add so much to the HUD (+10 HEADSHOT) and take away useful information like deathmarks and who. is. holding. the. OB/Flag. It's almost like they think Halo players are dumb and don't know that you should already Escort the ball guy in OB so they emphasize it by only having ESCORT visible at all times unless you point directly at their body with your reticle. It's insulting, really.

Computron

I never thought of 343GS/The Library as having very much pure horror, more just really awesome general atmosphere. 343GS is creepy and claustraphobic, but not really all that scary. What got me as an 11-year-old kid playing the game was the level Keyes. Dat dude's fate.
It worked brilliantly with The Maw. Halo 1 has very strong weaving between narrative flow and time of day (and gameplay flow among other things, but whatever). Seeing the new morning with the Autumn on the horizon after that long night (which was both literally and figuratively at its darkest right before you see the dawn)... Simple, good, strong stuff.

Keyes was freaky. Library was disorienting and very repetitive and I suppose it seemed never-ending for that reason. 343 Guilty Spark was very atmospheric, but also the first time you see the flood. (Its hard to remember seeing that for the first time) You don't even know what you're up against until you're deep underground.

What was the better solution? Put a timer and a waypoint on where/when the power weapons were spawning. <-- Knowledge is power.*

Why couldn't we build off of existing concepts to make Halo accessible?:

&#8226;Don't know where power ups are? Put an icon to show where and when they're spawning.

&#8226;Don't know how to take out a vehicle? Highlight power weapons after you get killed by a vehicle. This shows players what takes out a vehicle and where it is; it doesn't hand it to them.

&#8226;Don't know what the name of this area on the map is called? Put callouts on the screen. Ironcally, this was removed from H4.

How hard was it to add maybe a loading screen like Gears of War which shows an overhead view of the map with weapon spawn locations? Instead of that 343 redesigned unsc eagle etc.

To date, I think the best implementation of a map awareness feature has been in Gears 3. Make the loading screen a map layout, complete with weapon placement and respawn times, instead of a dumb logo spinning around for 20 seconds. Allow players to pull up a map by pressing a button both during the spawn countdown and in-game. Make these weapon maps available outside of matches as well, hopefully in some sort of actual tutorial menu where people can learn what gametypes are what ("Wait, what's Extraction?"). People that care can immediately do their research, people that don't care enough to learn lose against people that do.

Hell, this would work even better. Something to show players what's what without changing the gameplay itself to make it easier. ODST had a map too, but it was underutilized. Put weapons, objectives, and callouts on it and I think we'll do just fine.

Doing these will encourage players to learn how to play, and that will make them better at the game. They will be able to get power weapons, take down vehicles, and call out to their team. That makes it accessible.

Taking all of those away so they don't have to deal with it, or allowing them to spawn with their counters does not an accessible make. It ruins the game for everybody else and makes it harder for them to figure out what's going on.

When you're teaching a friend how to play, you give them hints, right? You don't hack the game to give them infinite lives.

It's a simple concept. Don't hack Halo to make it easier for players. Make it easier for players to learn how to play.

Madness

This is how you make a game accessible:

•Don't know where power ups are? Put an icon to show where and when they're spawning; that makes it accessible.

•Don't know how to take out a vehicle? Highlight power weapons after you get killed by a vehicle; that makes it accessible.

•Don't know what the name of this area on the map is called? Put callouts on the screen; that makes it accessible. Ironcally, this was removed from H4.

Doing these will encourage players to learn how to play, and that will make them better at the game. They will be able to get power weapons, take down vehicles, and call out to their team.

Taking all of those away so they don't have to deal with it, or allowing them to spawn with their counters does not make it accessible. It ruins the game for everybody else and makes it harder for them to figure out what's going on.

It's a simple concept.

But the games that didn't have it were already accessible. That would be annoying to have markers on the hud when we don't need them.

How hard was it to add maybe a loading screen like Gears of War which shows an overhead view of the map with weapon spawn locations? Instead of that 343 redesigned unsc eagle etc.

Also, since they wanted to make it seem like a new war games simulation, why not create a tutorial video that goes over the basics of gun and vehicle play? So that newbies could known what is what on the hud, what are power weapons, etc.

People used to clown on Halo saying it's one of the easiest games to play, no skill blah blah. So I find people who say it's too hard to get into, insufferable.

The game is easy to play, hard to master, as all games should be. Ask someone like heckfu how fun FIFA would be, if all the hours he spent learning the tactics, gameplay went out the window so that someone who picked up the game could beat him unfairly. Imagine free penalty kicks, etc.

But the games that didn't have it were already accessible. That would be annoying to have markers on the hud when we don't need them.

Also, since they wanted to make it seem like a new war games simulation, why not create a tutorial video that goes over the basics of gun and vehicle play? So that newbies could known what is what on the hud, what are power weapons, etc.

People used to clown on Halo saying it's one of the easiest games to play, no skill blah blah. So I find people who say it's too hard to get into, insufferable.

The game is easy to play, hard to master, as all games should be. Ask someone like heckfu how fun FIFA would be, if all the hours he spent learning the tactics, gameplay went out the window so that someone who picked up the game could beat him unfairly. Imagine free penalty kicks, etc.

I added a point from your post to mine above and I think my edit covers your first point. It should be a toggle :)

I never knew anyone who said Halo was too hard to play.

Havok

I'm not so sure about that. You end up creating another problem by solving the original. Invasion Slayer and Skirmish in Reach operated on much the same principle - there was a brief capture period, and then a countdown started after which power weapons would drop. As those gametypes showed us, there's a danger in alerting players in-game that a specific area is about to become incredibly important - you get a bunch of assholes crowding around, holding the pickup button to grab the weapon drop, as well as a grenade clusterfuck when the timer reaches zero. Yeah, people know where things are, but the flow of the match changes dramatically from the norm as a result.

To date, I think the best implementation of a map awareness feature has been in Gears 3. Make the loading screen a map layout, complete with weapon placement and respawn times, instead of a dumb logo spinning around for 20 seconds. Allow players to pull up a map by pressing a button both during the spawn countdown and in-game. Make these weapon maps available outside of matches as well, hopefully in some sort of actual tutorial menu where people can learn what gametypes are what ("Wait, what's Extraction?"). People that care can immediately do their research, people that don't care enough to learn lose against people that do. I'm not even close to a hardcore Gears player, but I could tell you where any of those power weapons spawned on the on-disc maps.

I'm not so sure about that. You end up creating another problem by solving the original. Invasion Slayer and Skirmish in Reach operated on much the same principle - there was a brief capture period, and then a countdown started after which power weapons would drop. As those gametypes showed us, there's a danger in alerting players in-game that a specific area is about to become incredibly important - you get a bunch of assholes crowding around, holding the pickup button to grab the weapon drop, as well as a grenade clusterfuck when the timer reaches zero. Yeah, people know where things are, but the flow of the match changes dramatically from the norm as a result.

To date, I think the best implementation of a map awareness feature has been in Gears 3. Make the loading screen a map layout, complete with weapon placement and respawn times, instead of a dumb logo spinning around for 20 seconds. Allow players to pull up a map by pressing a button both during the spawn countdown and in-game. Make these weapon maps available outside of matches as well, hopefully in some sort of actual tutorial menu where people can learn what gametypes are what ("Wait, what's Extraction?"). People that care can immediately do their research, people that don't care enough to learn lose against people that do. I'm not even close to a hardcore Gears player, but I could tell you where any of those power weapons spawned on the on-disc maps.

Look at this, yet another thing Halo should use from Gears. Through refining on what worked and advancing Halo's feature set/customization, Halo could be in a better place right now.

New Halo related shirt up on https://www.shirtpunch.com/, $10 (+shipping), 24 hours. Not really feelin it myself, but someone might like it.

April-8-Infinity_WomensMainMockup1_12d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom