• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obscured

They should do a weekly stream. Have Bravo, Quinn, BS Angel, Franklin, Frankie as regulars and then rotate others through. Keep it informal and a way to talk about things they are working on and introducing others in the studio you don't hear about. Mix it up between internal games and public matchmaking. Highlight different gametypes each week.

Nah.

Have a pool of allowed weapons:

• DMR
  • BR
  • AR
  • Magnum
  • Carbine
  • Storm Rifle
  • Light Rifle
  • Suppressor
Then you can choose to put those in either your primary or secondary slot, any order you want. The Firepower perk is unnecessary and this is how Halo's loadouts should've been initially. If people want to spawn with an AR/Suppressor combo, why not? If people want to spawn with a BR and Carbine, why not? These weapons are already decent in their roles and are getting tweaked even further.

COD formula but still it would make the pistols mostly useless.

I used to feel that way but lately I'm so anti-loadouts. I would just be re-hashing 4 years of loadout arguments at this point but i'm moving to where I basically want fixed starting weapons for everyone.

I switch between being kind of okay with loadouts and then hating them. Ordnance is the real deal breaker. Both Personal and Global reduce the strategy behind gameplay and make it frustrating.

I don't want slot machines I want Chess

I switch between being kind of okay with loadouts and then hating them. Ordnance is the real deal breaker. Both Personal and Global reduce the strategy behind gameplay and make it frustrating.

Yeah, Infinity gametypes are decided by randomness than skill or luck.

Fuchsdh

COD formula but still it would make the pistols mostly useless.

Yeah, I'd rather keep primary/secondary weapons if you've got slots for them in your loadout. Halo 5 sandbox is a mystery but if that is only the pistol, well it's the pistol. Still useful in a pinch, and definitely better than people rocking two utility weapons; that's one of the other downsides of having so many choices.

Yeah, I'd rather keep primary/secondary weapons if you've got slots for them in your loadout. Halo 5 sandbox is a mystery but if that is only the pistol, well it's the pistol. Still useful in a pinch, and definitely better than people rocking two utility weapons; that's one of the other downsides of having so many choices.

Maybe like gears of wars; two primary, grenade and pistol. Its time they would add different weapons to the sandbox.

Burst pistols, semi automatic shotguns and new sniper rifles.

I wonder if they will take a step forward and increase the weapons sandbox or a stepback and remains the same variations of 3 weapons.

Conor 419

Banned
If Nintendo can keep 3D Mario's core mechanics and philosophies near identical, yet have their newest games still be generation destroyers, then Microsoft have no excuse to not do the same for Halo, and yet they don't and probably wont, Halo will continue losing its identity with every game and then soon all we'll have left is dust, echoes and TheOddOne going full socioard on anyone who says otherwise.

Obscured

I don't want Chess I want Go

Not a fan of personal ordnance, but Global doesn't have to be random. I think an interesting evolution would have been predictable movement throughout the map. Maybe personal would have been fine to replenish ammo, but not provide power weapons.

Madness

I don't want Chess I want Go

Not a fan of personal ordnance, but Global doesn't have to be random. I think an interesting evolution would have been predictable movement throughout the map. Maybe personal would have been fine to replenish ammo, but not provide power weapons.

Problem is, most maps are either symmetrical or asymmetrical. Global ordnance is a clusterfuck because it's random and unfair. I lost a match two days ago because they gave the blue team, which had a gauss cannon, a spartan laser 5 feet from their spawn which they used to take out our tank. My team got no such luck, and with only a few kills remaining till match ended, no one could risk dying to get a loadout with plasma pistol and sticky.

Keeping the weapon in the same spot on a specific timer, allows for a bit of strategy. Not to mention there is no randomness to screw you over, no uncertainty. If I have rockets timed, and I see they're not there, I know someone on other team has them.

Fuchsdh

BR+AR starts.

*gasp*

I'd prefer a pistol as secondary, even with a rifle start, honestly. While they've finally gotten the AR right in Halo 4 (and look to be improving it with the balance TU), killing people with a pistol is still one of the most satisfying options in any of the games.

I think if you keep the AR as it stands, it should be an on-map pickup that's more frequent than Needlers (which should prolly just be treated as power weapons in its respawning times like rockets, shotguns, snipers or specialty weapons.)

Problem is, most maps are either symmetrical or asymmetrical. Global ordnance is a clusterfuck because it's random and unfair. I lost a match two days ago because they gave the blue team, which had a gauss cannon, a spartan laser 5 feet from their spawn which they used to take out our tank. My team got no such luck, and with only a few kills remaining till match ended, no one could risk dying to get a loadout with plasma pistol and sticky.

Keeping the weapon in the same spot on a specific timer, allows for a bit of strategy. Not to mention there is no randomness to screw you over, no uncertainty. If I have rockets timed, and I see they're not there, I know someone on other team has them.

I still like the idea of random locations or random ordnance, just not really random ordance at random times at random locations. Having people fight over "resupply zones" that appear every X minutes instead of knowing they're going to get rockets has some interesting options, but Halo 4's system is too random for my taste.

I don't really think the issue is starting rifle so much as no weapons on map. wtf were they thinking

Yeah.. That's one of the biggest problems with the game that we don't talk about frequently, but it's something most agree needs to be fixed. Also that disastrous Active Roster and party grouping in Post Game Carnage Reports, etc.

But that would be silly...

Why? Tone down the auto aim on automatics (which they're doing), increase the kill times with precision rifles and also turn down the auto aim, and you have a balanced rifle/automatic loadout. Again, Halo 1 is proof of this and the AR had what.. ~double the ammo?

Why? Tone down the auto aim on automatics (which they're doing), increase the kill times with precision rifles and also turn down the auto aim, and you have a balanced rifle/automatic loadout. Again, Halo 1 is proof of this and the AR had what.. ~double the ammo?

m81Wltn.png

TheOddOne

People will no doubt disagree with me but I genuinely like the new systems in Halo 4. The loadouts and the Ordnance specifically. I just want to clarify and say that I don't think the implementation of said systems has been the best. Camo in loadouts and the Random Ordnance.

Static Ordnance drops with pretty good visual cues is a pretty significant benefit to both watching and playing the game. The loadout stuff is nice but I almost prefer the Reach implementation where the choices are fixed.
There is no way randomness will win, regardless of how well it might be implemented. In a perfect world we would only be discussing flawed maps and weapon balance.

feel

to deadly cyclone re tv, yes go with 65" it rules. it is enormous. here are some shitty pictures of bioshock screens, my camera is bad at night, xbox should give some scale though to tv size. liz in that 2nd pic is bigger than life size

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0323(1).JPG

it's nuts.
Damn son, now you need to ditch the consoles hook up a sli titans rig to that.

Ghazi

lol, just noticed that Kyle's still using the OG PS3. Get with the times, after my first one YLOD I bought a slim even though I never use my PS3 for anything but a glorified Blu-Ray player.

Obscured

That why I would change it to be a predictable system. It could move around the map in a predictable way at set times. There are a few ways that you could set it up that could be interesting and still be predictable. You certainly could do spot A gets a random selection of power weapons every 2 minutes, but I would rather see it setup that there are say three main spots on the map where a power weapon might spawn. So initially spot A gets rockets, then a 2 minutes, spot B gets sniper, and after 2 more minutes spot C gets sword, and then it rotates through those spots every 2 minutes with those weapons till the end of the match. Still predictable, the spots don't change but your team would have to set up differently to secure each weapon.

In practice I don't find the random factor of global ordnance to be much of a deciding factor. I think everyone has an example like yours, but as a percentage of games I think it is pretty low. Also over many games it balances out, as is true with a lot of Halo 4 mechanics. I think the problem a lot of people have is they don't think that way and when those moments happen they impact in a very strong and suck-y way so they stick in your head. People don't consider an aggregate of experience over a set of games other than 'hey, that was annoying'.

Camo shouldn't be in loadouts, but I don't think it should be in any mp game ever in any fashion.

I still find the only thing that really bother's me is lag, I wish that was an issue that could be tackled with better results.

In practice I don't find the random factor of global ordnance to be much of a deciding factor. I think everyone has an example like yours, but as a percentage of games I think it is pretty low. Also over many games it balances out, as is true with a lot of Halo 4 mechanics. I think the problem a lot of people have is they don't think that way and when those moments happen they impact in a very strong and suck-y way so they stick in your head. People don't consider an aggregate of experience over a set of games other than 'hey, that was annoying'.

Everyone should have zero examples like that. End of debate.

I don't really think the issue is starting rifle so much as no weapons on map. wtf were they thinking

You mean stuff like Carbine's and such being on the map? Given the choices they made with the loadouts for starting weapons, I understand their decision to clearly divide weapons into starting weapons and power weapons that spawn on the map. Of course thanks to the way they designed Global Ordnance to work, everything is terrible no meaning to life etc.

Madness

That why I would change it to be a predictable system. It could move around the map in a predictable way at set times. There are a few ways that you could set it up that could be interesting and still be predictable. You certainly could do spot A gets a random selection of power weapons every 2 minutes, but I would rather see it setup that there are say three main spots on the map where a power weapon might spawn. So initially spot A gets rockets, then a 2 minutes, spot B gets sniper, and after 2 more minutes spot C gets sword, and then it rotates through those spots every 2 minutes with those weapons till the end of the match. Still predictable, the spots don't change but your team would have to set up differently to secure each weapon.

Camo shouldn't be in loadouts, but I don't think it should be in any mp game ever in any fashion.

I still find the only thing that really bother's me is lag, I wish that was an issue that could be tackled with better results.

But even once is bullshit. Just because my team would benefit sometimes still means it's unfair to the other side.

Also, like I mentioned, spawns and asymmetrical maps would ruin your suggestion. Global ordnance is so poorly implemented, I can't even remember ANY spawn points in maps aside from Adrift or Ragnarok.

But let's take Ragnarok for example. Sure you could alternate random spawns from top hill, field or crashed pelicans, but why? What would it add? The reason spawn points exist in certain areas or certain weapons is because of how the map plays. A random sniper to crashed pelican side when no one knows it's coming is unfair. You hold a certain area for a reason.

It might work in symmetrical maps, but even then, it'd be much better to know what will spawn before the match starts and not have it randomly change. An example I could think of, is like gears where weapons like torque bow and longshot would swap places every round or match. But the locations never changed and you knew what would be coming.

I don't know, I guess we have vastly differing opinions on what makes Halo work or is fun.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You mean stuff like Carbine's and such being on the map? Given the choices they made with the loadouts for starting weapons, I understand their decision to clearly divide weapons into starting weapons and power weapons that spawn on the map. Of course thanks to the way they designed Global Ordnance to work, everything is terrible no meaning to life etc.
No I mean like how people shouldn't be able to spawn with plasma pistols, ordnance should've been about indicating when/where weapons spawn not magically gifting people at random, everything is still terrible, no meaning to life, etc.

Obscured

But even once is bullshit. Just because my team would benefit sometimes still means it's unfair to the other side.

Also, like I mentioned, spawns and asymmetrical maps would ruin your suggestion. Global ordnance is so poorly implemented, I can't even remember ANY spawn points in maps aside from Adrift or Ragnarok.

But let's take Ragnarok for example. Sure you could alternate random spawns from top hill, field or crashed pelicans, but why? What would it add? The reason spawn points exist in certain areas or certain weapons is because of how the map plays. A random sniper to crashed pelican side when no one knows it's coming is unfair. You hold a certain area for a reason.

It might work in symmetrical maps, but even then, it'd be much better to know what will spawn before the match starts and not have it randomly change. An example I could think of, is like gears where weapons like torque bow and longshot would swap places every round or match. But the locations never changed and you knew what would be coming.

I don't know, I guess we have vastly differing opinions on what makes Halo work or is fun.

You are arguing the exact thing I said. I said Global Ordnance could be improved by making it predictable and not random which you responded with that is shouldn't be random, so I tried to clarify what I meant by not making it random.

What I described would not be random sniper when no one know s it coming, it would be a sniper at an exact moment in time that anyone who had looked at how the map is setup would know is coming. I am not arguing in favor of the halo 4 system with no changes, what I am suggesting is that there are ways to make it predictable and there are a few ways that it could be done and by doing that it would be more fair.

Everyone should have zero examples like that. End of debate.
The point I was trying to make is that because of how it makes people feel about it, they should probably find a different approach, even if it does not have overall a huge impact on games (if you were to look at overall statistics). My hope for the next game is I have zero examples of lag effecting the outcome of an encounter.

Lmao this guy,

Yeah the mechanic sucks but it only fucks you over sometimes and over the long term it doesn't matter!

That wasn't what I was trying to communicate. I tried to explain above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom