• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching this replay stream...

"Youre going to find more variety in the Halo sandbox used now that we buffed all the weapons up"

I'm sorry, but I dont think anyone has ever got off a session of Halo 1 or 2 and went "man that was pretty great!... but it had a little too much Pistol/BR in it"

Conor 419

Banned
Dunno if I'd give Zelda that prize. Sure, it's got longevity and overall a fairly consistent quality to its games, but there's simply been nothing new in more than a decade from them. Why buy a new Zelda when I've got clones of it already?

What on earth are you on about?

How could you call Majora's Mask and then say The Wind Waker, similar?

heckfu

Banned
I expect huge population surges following weapon buffs. That's the one thing keeping people away from Halo 4 imo.

For reference: this post is sarcasm. You see, Kyle thinks they are MANY more issues plaguing Halo 4 from having huge population numbers.

If you'd like to book Kyle at your next event, PM xxjuicesxx for any booking and PR questions!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Watching this replay stream...

"Youre going to find more variety in the Halo sandbox used now that we buffed all the weapons up"

I'm sorry, but I dont think anyone has ever got off a session of Halo 1 or 2 and went "man that was pretty great!... but it had a little too much Pistol/BR in it"
I don't agree with or care about the complaint, but it's one I've heard a lot. A lot of people -- mostly casual Halo players -- get really sick of utility weapons.

IHaveIce

Banned
Quick Heckfu, tell me if Juices is also sarcastic.

Because back then many forums were flooded by kids who said "Only the BR is good in Halo, it sucks no variety blablabla"

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine if they would add new vehicles into Halo 4 with an expansion this fall. That would be interesting.
It'd be cool, but I'd almost never use them, cause I usually avoid the big maps. So... I think I'd rather see them prioritize other stuff.

Please fix the game first instead or at least before adding more stuff

Don't get me wrong, I agree. But I would still like to see something like this, and suspect it may not be that absurd.

Who knows, maybe the new mega bloks vehicles hint towards new additions.

h6MK2PO.jpg

Im not sure how likely a scenario that would be, but as far as I know they haven't made up their own vehicles or weapons in the past.

It'd be cool, but I'd almost never use them, cause I usually avoid the big maps. So... I think I'd rather see them prioritize other stuff.

I recently have been enjoying BTB in Halo 4 more than the other modes...strangely enough. The vehicle sandbox is definitely lacking IMO.

Gui_PT

Still don't know why we didn't get some kind of Chopper back for this game. Everyone would love to have it back.

"It didn't fit the sandbox" isn't an excuse because the sandbox is all over the place.

Don't get me wrong, I agree. But I would still like to see something like this, and suspect it may not be that absurd.

Yeah that'd be awesome but it won't happen.

Just finished Super Metroid for the first time. 98% completion.

Holy shit this game is so good. I remember playing it as a kid and not understanding half of it. Like the wall jumping, spinesharking etc.

Not even gonna start a Zelda game, gonna finally finish Prime 2 and then 3.

Still don't know why we didn't get some kind of Chopper back for this game. Everyone would love to have it back.

"It didn't fit the sandbox" isn't an excuse because the sandbox is all over the place.

Agreed.

Only thing I am worried about, is if the new mega bloks stuff is a hint...it seems they took the Chopper...and removed the ability to melee vehicles:

Ghazi

Wait, why do you guys want more vehicles? We all complain (It's not undeserved) about how they're useless in this game because of PP and Sticky spamming, new vehicles would be just as susceptible to these issues and probably wouldn't do anything really new.

Quick Heckfu, tell me if Juices is also sarcastic.

Because back then many forums were flooded by kids who said "Only the BR is good in Halo, it sucks no variety blablabla"

lol yeah, that is true.. People used to call for BR nerfs in Halo 3! Crazy.

Personally, I've never found the BR to be a fun weapon to use. Online it was balls in Halo 2, it was deliberately made inconsistent in Halo 3, and now in Halo 4 it's a weapon for babbies. I like my single shot weapons with consistency.

Imagine if they would add new vehicles into Halo 4 with an expansion this fall. That would be interesting.

Promethean vehicle pack and a return of the Falcon?

Wait, why do you guys want more vehicles? We all complain (It's not undeserved) about how they're useless in this game because of PP and Sticky spamming, new vehicles would be just as susceptible to these issues and probably wouldn't do anything really new.

A vehicle inmune to plasma shots.

Halo 5?

Pure speculation ahead, here is what I think Halo may do this fall.

Halo 4: Infinity. Much like Halo 3 ODST, the game has a standalone SP that is clearly built upon the established engine of Halo 4, but has its own tweaks. The story will be standalone, but may be a spiritual successor to the story being told in Spartan Ops. 343 may use this opportunity to address some of the sandbox and level design complaints that exist from Halo 4 without completely starting over from scratch.

The MP will Halo 4's MP- with a large expansion. More than just maps. Perhaps new Armor, weapon skins, gametypes and (least likely of all) vehicles. 343 said they wanted Halo 4's DLC to be more than just map packs.. I suspect they had something in mind when they said that. BF3 really shows how larger expansions to a game can provide some fun and unique opportunities, and perhaps 343 has their own take on this.

To back up more DLC than just maps, the McFarlane Halo 4 toy line will have DLC codes for in game items this fall. I'm going to assume this is for weapon skins and new armor, and I imagine they wouldn't just do that for a toy line. I suppose time will tell.

Who's to say future balancing wont tweak things to make vehicles more sturdy and fun to use?

Promethean vehicle pack and a return of the Falcon?

If Forerunner vehicles could channel that Tron vibe it would be epic.

Ghazi

Flies out seven dudes to their studio on company dime...

Streams for 90 minutes.

Dear lord. Frankie PM me.

Easy, they just spent the money they would've used on Campaign Theater to fly Tashi & Co. out; there wasn't any net loss.

Who's to say future balancing wont tweak things to make vehicles more sturdy and fun to use?
With the way vehicle balancing is going now I can't see anything like that happening. They'll just ramp up the turret/etc. damages until they think they can hold their own after being PP'd.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
After playing BF3, I really want a motorcycle-like vehicle in Halo.

Obscured

Pure speculation ahead, here is what I think Halo may do this fall.

Halo 4: Infinity. Much like Halo 3 ODST, the game has a standalone SP that is clearly built upon the established engine of Halo 4, but has its own tweaks. The story will be standalone, but may be a spiritual successor to the story being told in Spartan Ops. 343 may use this opportunity to address some of the sandbox and level design complaints that exist from Halo 4 without completely starting over from scratch.

The MP will Halo 4's MP- with a large expansion. More than just maps. Perhaps new Armor, weapon skins, gametypes and (least likely of all) vehicles. 343 said they wanted Halo 4's DLC to be more than just map packs.. I suspect they had something in mind when they said that. BF3 really shows how larger expansions to a game can provide some fun and unique opportunities, and perhaps 343 has their own take on this.

To back up more DLC than just maps, the McFarlane Halo 4 toy line will have DLC codes for in game items this fall. I'm going to assume this is for weapon skins and new armor, and I imagine they wouldn't just do that for a toy line. I suppose time will tell.

If Forerunner vehicles could channel that Tron vibe it would be epic.

Sounds like an interesting idea. I would go for another ODST experience for sure. One thing I'm a little tired of and I don't see how Halo is necessarily going to go away from this and this is across a few other games, but I'm tired of saving the world/galaxy/universe. It is not more interesting or intense because everything is on the line. I want some smaller and more interesting stories.

As far the Prom/Tron vehicles I'd say don't bother, but I would like to know, where is my Tron MP, who is working on that game?

After playing BF3, I really want a motorcycle-like vehicle in Halo.

The Bulldog from Chronopolis is really fun to use.

Insert Ruckus conversation from a few weeks back.

Madness

The multitude of weapons and loadouts is directly the result of Call of Duty and Battlefield. Uninformed players or non-Halo fans hated that you couldn't pick whichever weapon you want.

Go back a few OT's before launch and you'll even see some guys here defending the fact that they hated having to hunt down a BR in AR starts or that they wished they could switch weapons if they died.

EDIT: Did Tashi plan on sharing his thoughts about the weapon tuning update and find out about Legendary Slayer?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
The multitude of weapons and loadouts is directly the result of Call of Duty and Battlefield. Uninformed players or non-Halo fans hated that you couldn't pick whichever weapon you want.

Go back a few OT's before launch and you'll even see some guys here defending the fact that they hated having to hunt down a BR in AR starts or that they wished they could switch weapons if they died.

Loadouts are fine for me, but stuff like Active Camo and Boltshot ruin it.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
May I ask why that stuff ruins it for you?

While I like being able to choose my Primary weapon, stuff like the Boltshot and Active Camo make the game way too unbalanced. In Halo 5, loadouts should be kept at Primary and Secondary weapons (no Plasma Pistols and Boltshots, though), and maybe a few AAs that don't affect gameplay too much.

Madness

While I like being able to choose my Primary weapon, stuff like the Boltshot and Active Camo make the game way too unbalanced. In Halo 5, loadouts should be kept at Primary and Secondary weapons (no Plasma Pistols and Boltshots, though), and maybe a few AAs that don't affect gameplay too much.

But that's just it. You've in turn shown why loadouts don't work. You hate any secondary weapon aside from the magnum and you've seen how an armor ability like Camo breaks the game.

But why even have a little unbalance at all? Either you have full loadouts or none at all. You can't just say it'll be fine with no Boltshot.

The fundamental aspect of Halo game play was that the map dictated the weapons. What you could use and when. You couldn't just die and spawn with 3 plasmas to take out a vehicle, die and spawn with a mini-shotgun to hold hallways etc.

But that's just it. You've in turn shown why loadouts don't work. You hate any secondary weapon aside from the magnum and you've seen how an armor ability like Camo breaks the game.

But why even have a little unbalance at all? Either you have full loadouts or none at all. You can't just say it'll be fine with no Boltshot.

The fundamental aspect of Halo game play was that the map dictated the weapons. What you could use and when. You couldn't just die and spawn with 3 plasmas to take out a vehicle, die and spawn with a mini-shotgun to hold hallways etc.

Nah.

Have a pool of allowed weapons:

• DMR
  • BR
  • AR
  • Magnum
  • Carbine
  • Storm Rifle
  • Light Rifle
  • Suppressor
Then you can choose to put those in either your primary or secondary slot, any order you want. The Firepower perk is unnecessary and this is how Halo's loadouts should've been initially. If people want to spawn with an AR/Suppressor combo, why not? If people want to spawn with a BR and Carbine, why not? These weapons are already decent in their roles and are getting tweaked even further.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

Letting players choose their Primary weapon allows players to use weapons they're comfortable with, while not affecting gameplay as much. I can't be the only one ehre who hates AR starts and being forced to use a specific weapon when I'm much more comfortable with another. Secondary weapons would be good if there were a larger variety. Right now, only the Magnum is not game-breaking. I'd be fine with the return of the SMG and maybe the Mauler, or the addition of new weapons.

kylej

Banned
juices & co you guys playing reach at all today I'm finishing some stuff at the office but I'll be home in an hour or so

People will no doubt disagree with me but I genuinely like the new systems in Halo 4. The loadouts and the Ordnance specifically. I just want to clarify and say that I don't think the implementation of said systems has been the best. Camo in loadouts and the Random Ordnance.

Static Ordnance drops with pretty good visual cues is a pretty significant benefit to both watching and playing the game. The loadout stuff is nice but I almost prefer the Reach implementation where the choices are fixed.

heckfu

Banned
People will no doubt disagree with me but I genuinely like the new systems in Halo 4. The loadouts and the Ordnance specifically. I just want to clarify and say that I don't think the implementation of said systems has been the best. Camo in loadouts and the Random Ordnance.

Static Ordnance drops with pretty good visual cues is a pretty significant benefit to both watching and playing the game. The loadout stuff is nice but I almost prefer the Reach implementation where the choices are fixed.

I used to feel that way but lately I'm so anti-loadouts. I would just be re-hashing 4 years of loadout arguments at this point but i'm moving to where I basically want fixed starting weapons for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom