• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop

My feelings on Halo 4's multiplayer after a few days of playing.

Positives:

+ I love the feel of it; it still feels like a Halo game to me
+the new weapons feel fantaastic; the DMR is the greatest thing in Halo
+still addictive as all hell and a ton of fun
+the maps are very well designed in terms of build (will get to looks in a second)
+I actually like some of the improvements from other games; sprinting being a mandatory button press makes stuff a lot faster and more fun to me
+the graphics look really nice, although a bit too clean and the framerate is a bit too choppy sometimes (still definitely an overall positive in this department)

Negatives:

-the environments, while well designed, feel bland; this is especially prevalent in Infinity Slayer, where most maps are a little too clinical and square
-the new weapons would have been 2x more interesting (even if they're similar to other weapons) if they looked unique; too many gray, pointy, square weapons; a little color and creativity would have gone a far way
-some tings like the replay feel half-baked; it's a good addition, but the framerate drops a little too much
-the Battle-Rifle feels like an absolute hunk of junk now compared to the DMR, and almost out of date and unneeded (the pistol almost feels like this too due to the DMR's greatness, but I think it serves its purpose more than the Battle-Rifle)
-some customization feels half-baked as well like the gun skins and armor customization

Overall, I think it's my favorite Halo online multiplayer, but that's been the case with every Halo since 2. I think the overall additions are a net positive, and that the stuff implemented in this game could make for a mindblowingly great Halo 5 for the new Xbox. With that said, I'm absolutely loving (and addicted) to this game, and I'm really curious to see what the single player ends up like.

Yup, sounds like a casual post.

Especially the bold parts.

Three things I'll point out:
- Almost all the maps are hugely overdone to the point of sprint being needed by default which is garbage imo
- BR feels great too me as of now. 4 shot making a return will make it the go to rifle
- I can't stand sprint or AA's for that matter. With sprint by default, maps will always have to be oversized in 4v4 to compensate the lack of increased player base speed

I fear every casual loves the next halo as much as they loved the last no matter how bad or disappointing it might have been. I respect your post but I can't say I care. You and I think differently on what Halo should be.

Sai-kun

Banned
What kinda music does everyone like?

is this a real question???

http://www.last.fm/user/Sai-kun

here are my top tags on last.fm:

electronic
female vocalists
indie
alternative
indie pop
british
pop
dance
industrial
rock
electro
drum n bass
britpop

fave artists in the past months: marina and the diamonds, how to destroy angels, purity ring, james blake, ellie goulding, little boots, major lazer, dillon francis, janelle monae, la roux

Obscured

to deadly cyclone re tv, yes go with 65" it rules. it is enormous. here are some shitty pictures of bioshock screens, my camera is bad at night, xbox should give some scale though to tv size. liz in that 2nd pic is bigger than life size

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0323(1).JPG

it's nuts.

It is such a stupid silly thing, but the thinness of the bezel is the thing that almost pushes me to want to upgrade my tv. That is a nice setup

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
to deadly cyclone re tv, yes go with 65" it rules. it is enormous. here are some shitty pictures of bioshock screens, my camera is bad at night, xbox should give some scale though to tv size. liz in that 2nd pic is bigger than life size

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0323(1).JPG

it's nuts.

Done. This fall.

Izick

Yup, sounds like a casual post.

Especially the bold parts.

Three things I'll point out:
- Almost all the maps are hugely overdone to the point of sprint being needed by default which is garbage imo
- BR feels great too me as of now. 4 shot making a return will make it the go to rifle
- I can't stand sprint or AA's for that matter. With sprint by default, maps will always have to be oversized in 4v4 to compensate the lack of increased player base speed

I fear every casual loves the next halo as much as they loved the last no matter how bad or disappointing it might have been. I respect your post but I can't say I care. You and I think differently on what Halo should be.

Well, that's your opinion but I'm glad you took the time to read and reply.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
How to win at Rumble Pit:

- DMR
- Suppressor
- Frag Grenades
- Hologram
- Firepower
- Dexterity

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0323(1).JPG

it's nuts.

Now you need a powerhouse PC and you are done.

IHaveIce

Banned
I have to watch the stream later. Was out drinking with friends.

Did they show everyone as a pov at a time? Interested in a neighbor pov.

Mix

Well I was wrong. I just got off and I'm gonna crash at home. Supposed to get off at 2 and it's now 3:30. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Good God I lol'd at Tashi/Hodor joke.

Tunavi looking like Renly in that pic.

Looking forward to Throwdown with the 4sk BR, it was nonsensical to launch as a five shot anyway. It'll also improve rumble pits; if an opponent is full shields you may start the first shot but it's rare to get to the fifth without outside intervention. Too many assists in Rumble Pit...

Nebula

Get handed a series which many people agree has the best vehicle combat in a AAA game. Stifle the fuck out of it with Plasma Pistol and Grenades on spawn, which everyone uses because of how OVERPOWERED the combo is.

Fuck sake.

IHaveIce

Banned
Just watched the stream. Lol dat stream quality, I know we all say we miss the competive times of Halo 2, but we do NOT mean the streamquality from back then, 343.

Talents

Banned
Keyboards suck.

Well if you're going to spend £1000+ on a PC to begin with and you don't like keyboards, might aswell spend another £20 on one of these, or a wired controller. I don't like keyboard gaming either, especially for FPS's.

Price points and a longer lifespan means for casuals like me, I don't need to always check the minimum specs required or worry about upgrading every odd year.

Of course PC will trump consoles in most other ways.

If you get a good enough computer in the first place, you shouldn't need to worry about the minimum specs for at least a few years before you have to upgrade a few parts, and I'm pretty sure people can save a few pounds over the course of a few years.

If you get a good enough computer in the first place, you shouldn't need to worry about the minimum specs for at least a few years before you have to upgrade a few parts, and I'm pretty sure people can save a few pounds over the course of a few years.

It's as if you read my post, wanted to respond and then did so by writing my post in a slightly different way.

To clarify; If you spend the time, effort and money, sure, you'll get a far better gaming experience than with a console...

but if you're a casual like me who doesn't really want to make a bigger initial investment only to upgrade a few years later then consoles are just that. Cheaper ways to have a consistently good experience.

Fuchsdh

It's as if you read my post, wanted to respond and then did so by writing my post in a slightly different way.

To clarify; If you spend the time, effort and money, sure, you'll get a far better gaming experience than with a console...

but if you're a casual like me who doesn't really want to make a bigger initial investment only to upgrade a few years later then consoles are just that. Cheaper ways to have a consistently good experience.

Not to mention that for me, it makes far more economic sense to buy and max out my computer, then wait five years and do the same thing. Piecemeal upgrading might make sense for gaming but it doesn't for media work.

I appreciate PC games, but there's no reason for consoles to turn into set-top PCs--defeats the point, I want a simple service I don't have to fiddle with or juggle IDs and settings.

Striker

Get handed a series which many people agree has the best vehicle combat in a AAA game. Stifle the fuck out of it with Plasma Pistol and Grenades on spawn, which everyone uses because of how OVERPOWERED the combo is.

Fuck sake.
Hey, cheer up bud, they made the chaingun more powerful. Surely that will make the vehicle combat so much more entertaining to play! ^_^

I rather play with Reach's vehicles and its health than play in Halo 4's, it's so bad. Funny thing though, people have complained they kept things like AA's in the base game, but often ignore they brought back the awful Banshee that spins around like crazy and allows people to spam the fuel rod bomb.

Emulator and ROMS. Oh but you of course need the actual console and game if you want to play it legally.

For arguments sake lets say you had the ability to rip the roms yourself. At that point a PC becomes amazing because you have a machine that can play everything from every generation up till the last gen (bar xbox support) and even Wii games (most of the time at expanded resolutions for that glorious 1080p comfy couch experience) + the ever expanding PC library of games.

Really the only thing consoles have going for them is expanded social features which steam is catching up on and exclusive titles.

The exclusives are worth owning a console for IMO but if you are not concerned with playing them immediately then you could either wait for emulation or till the console drops to a more affordable price point.

Despite how little PC gaming I do its hard to deny the draw. I just wish Controller support was mandatory.

For arguments sake lets say you had the ability to rip the roms yourself. At that point a PC becomes amazing because you have a machine that can play everything from every generation up till the last gen (bar xbox support) and even Wii games (most of the time at expanded resolutions for that glorious 1080p comfy couch experience) + the ever expanding PC library of games.

Really the only thing consoles have going for them is expanded social features which steam is catching up on and exclusive titles.

The exclusives are worth owning a console for IMO but if you are not concerned with playing them immediately then you could either wait for emulation or till the console drops to a more affordable price point.

Despite how little PC gaming I do its hard to deny the draw. I just wish Controller support was mandatory.

Yeah. I just got Xpadder going in BioShock 2, but damn if it isn't a mess.

Conor 419

Banned
Emulator and ROMS. Oh but you of course need the actual console and game if you want to play it legally.

Which I do, because I am intelligent enough to support the industry's greatest IP.

I remember when a 343i employee ripped on Nintendo, yet thanks to them, Halo will never again hold the strength to match a Zelda title.

Fuchsdh

Which I do, because I am intelligent enough to support the industry's greatest IP.

Dunno if I'd give Zelda that prize. Sure, it's got longevity and overall a fairly consistent quality to its games, but there's simply been nothing new in more than a decade from them. Why buy a new Zelda when I've got clones of it already?

Do you all think an enhanced version of Halo 4 released for the next Xbox could significantly raise Halo 4's population?

Done right? Sure.

I still think another ODST like scenario may be on its way. Standalone SP + Halo 4 MP with new stuff added. Release it on 360 and Nextbox for maximum effect.

Fuchsdh

Done right? Sure.

I still think another ODST like scenario may be on its way. Standalone SP + Halo 4 MP with new stuff added. Release it on 360 and Nextbox for maximum effect.

Makes sense to me. I'd pay for a side story campaign using the Halo 4 engine and additional maps--they just need to make sure they actual bundle everything together to avoid another CEA issue.

(Also, at this point they should really bundle and discount the DLC. I can understand why they're never going to make it free, but they should at least make it easy...)

Mix

Watching pulp fiction for the first time in like 6 years. Absolutely amazing film. Quentin Tarantino is a mad genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom