• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CE pistol >

We should scrap rifles and go back to a real mid-ranged weapon, and not this mini-sniper nonsense that ruins BTB. Gone are the days when maps like Sidewinder or Standoff can be made. Put the DMR on any of those and it messes up everything - sightlines, combat flow, map movement, etc.

Then again, the same can be said of anything added to Halo recently (including some H3 equipment). Reach could have been a step in the right direction after Halo 3 if they'd only kept the Beta pistol and worked closer to CE mechanics.

I really wish it would just stay simple. That's part of the appeal. New things like support weapons and vehicle boarding are great additions. Portable reusable powerups or random weapons are not.

Tunavi

Banned
That was the last thread.

It would be awesome if you guys could phrase criticism without insulting people personally, but I genuinely have come to the conclusion that those days are literally over for all gaming communities.

I don't take things personally and never have, but I do it by proxy, which is actually more stupid. So when you levy personal insults at the team, I take that personally.

I think it's just the nature of communities in general - especially big ones.

Mind you if you're actually asking me to leave, it's your thread, you define the tone and content. Bish would totally ban me if I kept hassling you and mocking your education.

And you can PM me a resume if you're actually applying.
Infinity Slayer is abysmal but it shouldn't reflect the character of the guy who designed it.

How's that?

It would be awesome if you guys could phrase criticism without insulting people personally, but I genuinely have come to the conclusion that those days are literally over for all gaming communities.

I don't take things personally and never have, but I do it by proxy, which is actually more stupid. So when you levy personal insults at the team, I take that personally.

Mind you if you're actually asking me to leave, it's your thread, you define the tone and content. Bish would totally ban me if I kept hassling you and mocking your education.

I think he was just trying to make a funny. He better have been trying to make a funny. We always want you here, mister. Not so much to field our complaints, but just as a member of Gaf.

Franky if I can ask you a serious question, what programs/classes should I take if I wanted to get into the gaming industry during High School/College?

I can't even find any good schools that offer a degree in the field in my state (Utah) :/

Rev3rb

Franky if I can ask you a serious question, what programs/classes should I take if I wanted to get into the gaming industry during High School/College?

I can't even find any good schools that offer a degree in the field in my state (Utah) :/

Computer Science Major

You'll never be unemployed (If you enjoy it)

When you become familiar with the basics, start making some personal game projects.

It's all about experience.

The DMR is the 37th Chamber breh.. It's no wonder you're stuck on 36.

Karl already ran this joke into the ground.

Really hope the DMR is being looked at for that behind the scenes tweaking system. So frustrating to be constantly spawn killed from a distance with little room to compete.

Such a contrast to how awesome playing Rumble Pro with all BRs is.

If you don't mind I might try and put my own spin on the system though. Like it'll still use the shapes and numbers and everything, but it'll be "modernized" to match the current Halo aesthetic a little bit more.

As long as we're asking for jobs, can I be Senior Bullshit Analyst at 343 Industries? When you guys need to justify the DMR coming back or Chief forgetting how to dual-wield, I'm your man!

Really hope the DMR is being looked at for that behind the scenes tweaking system. So frustrating to be constantly spawn killed from a distance with little room to compete.

get-that-shit-outta-here.jpg

Tweaking the DMR will likely making it underpowered or overpowered, so I vouch for its complete removal.

We'll be fine with a powerful pistol sidearm, longer ranged BR, and an accurate quick RoF (but more ammo) Carbine. Redundancy hasn't helped the game.

Computer Science Major

You'll never be unemployed

When you become familiar with the basics, start making some personal game projects.

It's all about experience.
I just wanted to post this. You really becoming my favorite person from Austin. (Though I hate you guys for getting google fiber.)

If it's anything like the video production field (and I suspect it is), where you went to school doesn't matter so much. What matters is your body of work. Go to school where you can afford to and learn the basics. The key is to intern or get an apprenticeship at a real place of business and do some actual work so you can have things to put on a resume other than your degree and GPA.

You'll likely learn more in your first 3 months of working than you will in your entire degree program, no matter where you go to school.

That's a shame.

I guess the eazyb ban was one of the signalling landmark moments..

I don't think things can improve in that regard, HaloGAF (and GAF as a whole) has grown too big since then to have any kind of calm tone in the past 3 years.

Phil Kollar over at Polygon was saying SA was the place to go for a less manic tone. I think Booties is one of dem folks in the SA Halo section.

Nice of you to extend the resume offer.
The Waypoint engineering team could always use a junior dev.

Do what you're passionate about. What subjects are you good (and enjoy)? There's generally a correlation to some role. But Rev3rb is right about experience.

seriously?

This hurts.
I thought... you know... it does not look like this! I mean! Don't you have a girlfriend to care about? OMG DON'T LEAVE ME!

Frankie, hire this man for this job.
The design concept is a lot better than the current Halo 4 UI, but I personally think it is throwing way too much information to the user. I fear it may overextend a user and scare him off. At the end, casual people should not care about it because they only want to play the game, but I'd prefer if his concept gets simplified.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

What zee said, but also and this is true for everyone: GET A "PROPER" COLLEGE DEGREE IN SOMETHING/ANYTHING. You get paid more, your resume always gets taken more seriously (rightly or wrongly) even if the degree is unrelated and it is more flexible for when your dream job doesn't work out.

For gaming specifically, we are taking at least Digipen candidates very seriously because there are some really practically applicable courses there now.

Another issue is the cost/benefit of college degrees. It's getting more and more expensive to get a degree and it's wildly disproportionate to inflation and cost of living. One day it may not make any sense at all, like paying for Aspirin in the US healthcare system.

And don't wear a Fedora to an interview.

Called it.

Infinity Slayer is abysmal but it shouldn't reflect the character of the guy who designed it.

How's that?
You can't be serious.

I just wanted to post this. You really becoming my favorite person from Austin. (Though I hate you guys for getting google fiber.)
It will be a while before it really happens, and even then it's going to be based around what communities/neighborhoods want it first.

Conor 419

Banned
What zee said, but also and this is true for everyone: GET A "PROPER" COLLEGE DEGREE IN SOMETHING/ANYTHING. You get paid more, your resume always gets taken more seriously (rightly or wrongly) even if the degree is unrelated and it is more flexible for when your dream job doesn't work out.

For gaming specifically, we are taking at least Digipen candidates very seriously because there are some really practically applicable courses there now.

Another issue is the cost/benefit of college degrees. It's getting more and more expensive to get a degree and it's wildly disproportionate to inflation and cost of living. One day it may not make any sense at all, like paying for Aspirin in the US healthcare system.

And don't wear a Fedora to an interview.

Could I go into the industry with a Scientific focused degree?

Do what you're passionate about. What subjects are you good (and enjoy)? There's generally a correlation to some role. But Rev3rb is right about experience.

This hurts.

If I could try answer it: Sure, but I'd say if you were seriously you should apply your talent and effort into something that's related to a position you want to work in.
Your degree wouldn't really hold you back if you have a portfolio/knowledge base of experience related to the position to show. There's no simple answer to it, it'd take time and effort.

FyreWulff

Just learn to make games on your own. The gaming industry is so close knit that you'll have better luck just making your own games and getting hired in anyway.

Unless you have the money to follow them to every convention and are highly marketable, don't apply. Then someone asks you how their backend works and then turns around and shits on you on twitter.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

This hurts.

Absolutely. Look at Bioware's legacy.

There are lots of scientists in the industry. They are by definition critical thinkers. Applying that mode to math, engineering, design etc are all valid. Plus you have more options when it doesn't work out and as I said, you literally get paid more than without. By rule.

Conor 419

Banned
If I could try answer it: Sure, but I'd say if you were seriously you should apply your talent and effort into something that's related to a position you want to work in.

Too late for that, I'm halfway through a subject which is neither my favorite nor my best.

There are lots of scientists in the industry. They are by definition critical thinkers. Applying that mode to math, engineering, design etc are all valid. Plus you have more options when it doesn't work out and as I said, you literally get paid more than without. By rule.

Well at least that's good to know.

What part of Utah? (I live there as well.. SLC area)

Out of curiosity, does it grant a bonus if I add "take care of his 343i hoodie like it would be his own child" to my application?

Just learn to make games on your own. The gaming industry is so close knit that you'll have better luck just making your own games and getting hired in anyway.

Unless you have the money to follow them to every convention and are highly marketable, don't apply. Then someone asks you how their backend works and then turns around and shits on you on twitter.
Alright, if you're going to put this out there, tell us the whole story.

IHaveIce

Banned
Some really cool games on the new maps with Elzar and Soto! Bobs was also there and helped us to get the hardlight shield achievement.

We won every game ( I think it was 4 games?) And we ranked up only once? Huuuh?

edit: now watching Bayern.

TCKaos

So right now I'm pursuing a degree in English
Heckfu pls
, if I manage to get some Unreal or Unity experience under my belt while possibly working on other projects (there are actually a handful of developers in the Birmingham area and my university has been in talks with to see if we can get some internships started) and hopefully finishing a small project or two, would that look good on a resume for game design?

Tweaking the DMR will likely making it underpowered or overpowered, so I vouch for its complete removal.

We'll be fine with a powerful pistol sidearm, longer ranged BR, and an accurate quick RoF (but more ammo) Carbine. Redundancy hasn't helped the game.

I dont think complete removal is necessary. With the right tweaks all the primary rifles could play a role.

The BR is just fine imo. The carbine, a very minor buff. Just little things.

The DMR needs an overhaul though. Way too powerful as is.

Some really cool games on the new maps with Elzar and Soto! Bobs was also there and helped us to get the hardlight shield achievement.

We won every game ( I think it was 4 games?) And we ranked up only once? Huuuh?

Yep- Castle playlist is based on team win/loss, so it's going to go slow.

TCKaos

I dont think complete removal is necessary. With the right tweaks all the primary rifles could play a role.

The BR is just fine imo. The carbine, a very minor buff. Just little things.

The DMR needs an overhaul though. Way too powerful as is.

If we have access to individual weapon damage using that Megalo scripter from however many pages ago then I would advise either decreasing the damage output to make for seven shot kills, increasing kill time and ammo consumed, or increase the output so that it only needs three shots, making it a power weapon. Or we could buff the Carbine and get rid of it all together.

If we have access to individual weapon damage using that Megalo scripter from however many pages ago then I would advise either decreasing the damage output to make for seven shot kills, increasing kill time and ammo consumed, or increase the output so that it only needs three shots, making it a power weapon.

I personally think that removing DMR and Boltshot from loadouts and reducing plasma grenade count from 2 to 1 would do a lot to balance out H4's sandbox without making a single weapon tweak.

What part of Utah? (I live there as well.. SLC area)
Salt Lake City? Nice. I wanted to go to the gramd opening of the new Microsoft Store today in Salt Lake, but I have work today. :(

I live in Provo/Orem depending on how you look at it.

Utah HaloGAF meetup inbound.
Don't know what we'd do considering Utah is pretty boring. :p I hope I can go to E3 this year, if anyone else is going to E3, a HaloGAF E3 meet up would be awesome. Or PAX. Not sure about PAX though, I can for sure go to LA though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Stop contributing to halos sickness

Let's just take frags away then.

Take the plasma pistol out of BTB, but plasma nades actually require some semblance of skill to use. Without the Plasma Pistol there it'll feel more balanced because people won't just PP a vehicle and nade it twice.

If you're reducing the plasma nades I can carry you best be putting them on the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom