• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

Let's just take frags away then.

Take the plasma pistol out of BTB, but plasma nades actually require some semblance of skill to use. Without the Plasma Pistol there it'll feel more balanced because people won't just PP a vehicle and nade it twice.

If you're reducing the plasma nades I can carry you best be putting them on the map.

Can we just keep them on map?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Was just discussing potential PAX Prime plans with my cousin. I'm fucking hyped. Who from HaloGAF is planning on going?

edit: I also just finished watching that Joshua Menke presentation and ranks and stuff. Really interesting talk, quite informative too. I seriously am hopeful that we'll get a ranking system in future Halo titles that's at least better than anything that we've had in the past. And if it's anything close to what StarCraft 2 has, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Leave my plasma nades alone you heathen.

draper_wink.gif

I dont think complete removal is necessary. With the right tweaks all the primary rifles could play a role.

The BR is just fine imo. The carbine, a very minor buff. Just little things.

The DMR needs an overhaul though. Way too powerful as is.
Just remove it as a default loadout, make it a map pickup. Only choices, IMO, should be either AR/Pistol/frag, or BR/Pistol/frag. Pickup weapons are determined by the map locale, so human environment = human weapons, Forerunner environment = Forerunner weapons, etc. Use the Halo 2 style ammo boxes sparingly if needed for the human weapons.

Also:
- No Armor Abilities in loadouts, only sparingly treated as powerups. Then even the most egregious of them won't be so hated if fought for.
- No Personal Ordnance, and for the uninitiated, use waypoints on Global Ordnance and powerups similar to how it works currently.

Was just discussing potential PAX Prime plans with my cousin. I'm fucking hyped. Who from HaloGAF is planning on going?
I'm gonna try, I'll have the money for the tickets and I'll have free time to go on account of Summer vacation, but I don't have any relatives in Seattle, so I'd need to buy a hotel. Not sure how much a plane+hotel would set me back. :/

BigShow36

That was the last thread.

It would be awesome if you guys could phrase criticism without insulting people personally, but I genuinely have come to the conclusion that those days are literally over for all gaming communities.

Now you know how we feel about Halo. The good days are gone forever and they aren't coming back.

I'm not insulting anyone personally, I'm insulting the poor decisions designers have made.

Tawpgun

Let's just take frags away then.

Take the plasma pistol out of BTB, but plasma nades actually require some semblance of skill to use. Without the Plasma Pistol there it'll feel more balanced because people won't just PP a vehicle and nade it twice.

If you're reducing the plasma nades I can carry you best be putting them on the map.

I am so in favor of putting them on the map.

And sticking still requires little skill. Vehicles are big with predictable paths.

Risen

I'm such a nerd... I don't play Halo 4 for months essentially. Ranks are released, I pop in the disc curious as to how it's implemented. It's implemented poorly, yet, I played a game and checked my number, which made me play another game and check my number, which made me want to play another game just to check how the number moved, and then played another to see it move more.

I've had zero desire to play this game, yet the simple change had me trying in games where I would have played mindlessly before. It had me WANTING to play another game, where I've just not cared one way or another. And this was in a list that is essentially Team Fiesta with things present which I abhor.

Now... how 'bout in the next game 343 not release such a great feature in half measures?

Ok so if Plasma Grenades spawned on the map and spike grenades were added back it but did less damage to vehicles than a plasma, would you be happy with that?
They should do the same amount of damage, but they don't have to be on the same map together. I miss sticking a spiker through a door frame as I ran through it and having an enemy pay for chasing me. I was hoping that the Sticky Detonator could be used to set up more traps for people, but the stupid beeping noise pretty much eliminates that with the rare exceptions.

wwm0nkey

They should do the same amount of damage, but they don't have to be on the same map together. I miss sticking a spiker through a door frame as I ran through it and having an enemy pay for chasing me.

Im saying if you can spawn with it though, vehicle combat in Halo 4 doesn't really work because of the loadout system but if they had Plasmas on map and spikers as well but have spikers do less damage against vehicles only I think it would be fine.

I am so in favor of putting them on the map.

And sticking still requires little skill. Vehicles are big with predictable paths.

This is why (at least in the context of H4 and keeping its overarching systems intact) I'd like to see the number of Plasma Grenades reduced to 1 on spawn. You can have some on the maps, or use resupply, etc. to get more, but in general- I don't think that one person should be able to take out most vehicles by his lonesome by hitting it once with PP and sticking it twice right off of their spawn. We should at least require that they coordinate with one other teammate to get it done, or find a way to get another sticky or earn a power weapon of some sort.

I can't believe you can start with two plasma grenades but only one promethean grenade.

Same here. They can let people spawn with 4 promethean grenades for all I care. They definitely got that one backwards.

edit: I also just finished watching that Joshua Menke presentation and ranks and stuff. Really interesting talk, quite informative too. I seriously am hopeful that we'll get a ranking system in future Halo titles that's at least better than anything that we've had in the past. And if it's anything close to what StarCraft 2 has, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Pax Prime might be my first Pax (or any gaming event for that matter). Kinda excited!

Im saying if you can spawn with it though, vehicle combat in Halo 4 doesn't really work because of the loadout system but if they had Plasmas on map and spikers as well but have spikers do less damage against vehicles only I think it would be fine.
No it doesn't, another reason to reduce it to a very small pool of items or eliminate loadouts all together. If I remember right, Spikers did less damage than plasmas did to vehicles, but I haven't played H3's multiplayer in a long time.

Also, is your avatar Arcade from the X-Men?

wwm0nkey

No it doesn't, another reason to reduce it to a very small pool of items or eliminate loadouts all together. If I remember right, Spikers did less damage than plasmas did to vehicles, but I haven't played H3's multiplayer in a long time.

Also, is your avatar Arcade from the X-Men?

I think we have all come to terms that loadouts just did not work. They tried but it just isn't doing it. Also I played Halo 3 recently but was not able to test that out and I can't remember off the top of my head.

Also yes, yes it is. Took it from the new Avengers Arena preview.

wwm0nkey

Yeah, Disney had already retreated from the games industry before, so it was only a matter of time before they dropped the axe on Lucasarts. They'd rather license out than make games themselves again.

It would be nice if the First Assault team could make their own studio and continue their work.

Sai-kun

Banned
I'm so hyped for PAX this year. :> so excited to see whoever shows up again, and to meet new folks.

Edit: and to drink/eat excessively for almost a whole week

Did CyReN post this here?

heckfu

Banned
I'm so hyped for PAX this year. :> so excited to see whoever shows up again, and to meet new folks.

Edit: and to drink/eat excessively for almost a whole week

"drink/eat and excessively hit on heckfu for almost a whole week" would've been more accurate.

Madness

Yup, the more I play, the more I put loadouts as the first thing that needs to go for the next game, even above the random elements of ordnance.

Unlike other games, loadouts in Halo completely break the gameplay.

Giving people the ability to start with 3 plasma grenades, Plasma pistols, boltshot, DMR, jetpack etc.
Loadouts are also the reason it's hard to tune weapons to fix any problems. We're not letting the map dictate the battle. Without loadouts, 343 could also easily make almost every BTB match, BR starts with magnum and frags only.

I love stickies, but hell no to letting people start with them, unless it's a game type like elite slayer or something. 90% of the time, they are used by phone who don't even play well, they just run, throw a sticky, die and respawn, or if they are outgunned, they just tag before dying like martyrdom.

I'm on the PAX every two schedule. I'll be back at PAX 2014 hoping for a new Halo game. I would love to go this year but not sure I can swing it + moving + new consoles + new TV.

Bonus PAX 2012 shot:
GODDAMNIT! I WAS SO FAT!

I passed out from all the excitement;)

but yea the guy is an AMAZING hire. Quinn, Bravo, and himself have been doing a lot of work this week to promote and fine-tune the CSR for the game.

If interested here's a 1 1/2 hour panel he did a few years back talking about ranks.
Yes. Quinn, Bravo and him make me very optimistic about Halo 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom