• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT17| We Flew Out Members To Make This OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trasher

Talitha Luke-Eardley

paddedimage500500-t52hpu5u.jpg
paddedimage500500-t10oquy7.jpg

You never disappoint.

Imagine if they released Halo 4: Spartan Ops. A standalone of missions before they found Chief and sort of an origin of the SIV's.

Could contain a full revision of MP, refreshed graphics. New Maps. Basically a culmination of feedback making it a new release. Ranked of course.

I would go for that.

Omni

Spartan IVs are a joke. I don't think I could handle a campaign centred around them.

but then again, in its present state I don't really want a campaign that follows on from anything that 343i has brought in with Halo 4.

u4iX

How about we learn to enjoy the good things? Honestly why shit on what is a great setting? I just don't understand HaloGAF sometimes, pessimism does not sit well with me. Here's a great playlist variant with classic play, I'd like to enjoy this for one post at least.
Fuck me some of you are some salty motherfuckers aren't you?

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I don't necessarily like you either...

Mix

I think that a campaign with the Spartan IVs could be good, but if done incorrectly, it could be a miserable disaster. Think of how easy it would be to screw that up?
In order for it to be good, it would have to be something in the vein of Reach's campaign. Unfortunately, I don't want a second Reach type of campaign. The whole faceless story was run into the ground, that might just be Reach, though.
The only other way to do it well is for there to be a main character that we're given and that we could care about, but at that point, why play as a spartan who's just a little less powerful than the Chief? It would be like playing a mainline Halo game without Chief and I'm not really interested in that.
I don't know, given the right premise, it could be good and it could be really fun, but that's just too many "could"s and not enough "will"s.

If they decide to do a Spartan IV prequel, I want it to be of the first group of Spartan IVs back in 2554 or so - a prequel that takes place back before Requiem or the return of the Chief. I want to fight the Storm Covenant back on Sangelios or on another Halo ring.
If they go the route of a semi-sequel, then it needs to take place away form the spartan IVs in Halo 4. Basically, if Palmer is in, I'm most likely out.

I think that a campaign with the Spartan IVs could be good, but if done incorrectly, it could be a miserable disaster. Think of how easy it would be to screw that up?
In order for it to be good, it would have to be something in the vein of Reach's campaign. Unfortunately, I don't want a second Reach type of campaign. The whole faceless story was run into the ground, that might just be Reach, though.
The only other way to do it well is for there to be a main character that we're given and that we could care about, but at that point, why play as a spartan who's just a little less powerful than the Chief? It would be like playing a mainline Halo game without Chief and I'm not really interested in that.
I don't know, given the right premise, it could be good and it could be really fun, but that's just too many "could"s and not enough "will"s.

If they decide to do a Spartan IV prequel, I want it to be of the first group of Spartan IVs back in 2554 or so - a prequel that takes place back before Requiem or the return of the Chief. I want to fight the Storm Covenant back on Sangelios or on another Halo ring.
If they go the route of a semi-sequel, then it needs to take place away form the spartan IVs in Halo 4. Basically, if Palmer is in, I'm most likely out.

That's what I'm saying. It would essentially be ODST 2. In the new universe ODST's aren't even represented so it only makes sense to use the SIV's. It doesn't have to be like Reach at all. It could be origin and sort of there first outing etc. Maybe they can even explain the Elite retcon (for the people who dont read the books.)

Obscured

@TheOddOne, I'll add to the clamor of acclaim, nicely done OP. I am nobody and I did read it all.

How about we learn to enjoy the good things? Honestly why shit on what is a great setting? I just don't understand HaloGAF sometimes, pessimism does not sit well with me. Here's a great playlist variant with classic play, I'd like to enjoy this for one post at least.

I used to think I was a pessimist, until I met the internet. Now I realize I am the epitome of an optimist and possible the most happy-go-lucky bastard in existence.

after I go ly dow
I assume this is misdirection because Stinkles never actually lies down, from what I gather he can't even play a game of Halo without having a secondary activity going.

I predict an ODST-type offshoot for the reveal (I don't mean an ODST game per se, just a non-mainline game), I have no confidence in this prediction, I would just like it.

I have a few friends I typically run with on Halo, but it would be good to play some games with some of you. I'm not good, but I assist like its my job. It is always interesting to jump in with a different group (running as a random provides experiences with severe highs and lows)

And evidently I need to catch up on GoT.

Mix

That's what I'm saying. It would essentially be ODST 2. In the new universe ODST's aren't even represented so it only makes sense to use the SIV's. It doesn't have to be like Reach at all. It could be origin and sort of there first outing etc. Maybe they can even explain the Elite retcon (for the people who dont read the books.)
This is essentially what I was getting at. It would have to explain something others don't know and be fun to play. It has to be constrictive to the halo universe for me to enjoy the story.

Shadders

I think Majestic and Palmer were just poorly written, all brash and testosterone, it didn't really fit with what Spartans are. It was almost like a parody of the Gears of War squad, which itself is verging on a parody of Hollywood army films.

I don't think it's too late though, it's not irreparable, it would just require 343 to want to make the change. I dunno, do younger folks thing Majestic are cool? I'm told that some kids think the new Star Wars films are better than the original trilogy so I guess it's possible.

Mix

I think Majestic and Palmer were just poorly written, all brash and testosterone, it didn't really fit with what Spartans are. It was almost like a parody of the Gears of War squad, which itself is verging on a parody of Hollywood army films.

I don't think it's too late though, it's not irreparable, it would just require 343 to want to make the change. I dunno, do younger folks thing Majestic are cool? I'm told that some kids think the new Star Wars films are better than the original trilogy so I guess it's possible.

I don't know, if the case is that the new Spartans (who will eventually replace Chief, god help us all) are appealing to the younger kids, then they wont change and Chief will be dead by the next game...

How shitty would it be if 343 tells us he's retired and the S-IVs are taking over? no more haloz 4 meh

Conor 419

Banned
Also, praying we don't see a (non Halo Wars) Halo game tomorrow, it's too soon. Give the IP a break.

Anything to do with the Spartan IV's would be terrible, they're essentially iredeemable at this point.

@TheOddOne, I'll add to the clamor of acclaim, nicely done OP. I am nobody and I did read it all.

I used to think I was a pessimist, until I met the internet. Now I realize I am the epitome of an optimist and possible the most happy-go-lucky bastard in existence.

I predict an ODST-type offshoot for the reveal (I don't mean an ODST game per se, just a non-mainline game), I have not confidence in this prediction, I would just like it.

I have a few friends I typically run with on Halo, but it would be good to play some games with some of you. I'm not good, but I assist like its my job. It is always interesting to jump in with a different group (running as a random provides experiences with severe highs and lows)

And evidently I need to catch up on GoT.

What a truism, I too am an eternal optimist, yes even for Halo 4.

I'm not being elitist but if you're Aussie I'll play with you and invite you to play with other regular Aussies. However, if you're not located in Australia then no dice I'm afraid. It's just too unfair to my mates who I've played with since Halo 2 days. We play most nights and have usually between 3-10 in our party.

We play with any fellow Aussie as long as you're nice and a semi team player. Stats really don't matter mate.

Shadders

I don't know, if the case is that the new Spartans (who will eventually replace Chief, god help us all) are appealing to the younger kids, then they wont change and Chief will be dead by the next game...

How shitty would it be if 343 tells us he's retired and the S-IVs are taking over? no more haloz 4 meh

I don't think that will happen, Chief is still the box office draw. I guess the next move of 343 will tell us a lot then..

Spartan IVs and we're all doomed.

Chief and/or Spartan IIs and Halo is saved.

Fuchsdh

LTTP, great OP OddOne, much respect and it's very classy and informative. Jokes aside everything an OT should be in my opinion. I'd like more OP's created like this please.

Now what are you all doing typing here? Go and play BTB slayer pro. I had a number of games last night with my regular team and this is classic Halo brought back to life!

NO AA's and set loadouts similar to Reach loadouts. Essentially choose your poison between 4 clean loadouts and NO plasma pistol in loadouts, no stickies in loadouts, resupply active etc. There is no radar, which isn't my usual tastes, but I had huge amounts of fun and nostalgia almost fogged up my Gunnars.

The games flowed without personal ordnance and JiP did its work during menu dropouts and only very early starts to re-balance the teams from quitters etc.

Vehicles ARE BACK!!! Yes vehicles are god-tier and taking them down is fun with teamwork usually required on that front. The damage and feel of the game was just that extra notch above the layers of work 343i have been rolling out these last months. It feels like the polish and testing has produce the best multiplayer fruit yet.

Honestly aside from personal tweaks to get a little more default in this pro variant this is some of the most BTB fun I've had. While I enjoy Infinity in the mix slayer pro was voted for plenty.

GET INTO IT NOW! You will not be disappointed.

I have about 3 films worth rendering from slayer pro and I'll capture these tonight and post some light notes along with the films. Some classic Halo BTB gameplay for sure.

No motion tracker really doesn't bother me in BTB, partially because I'm much more likely to be on a communicative team and camping is a less optimal strategy anyhow.

It fits as one hell of a contrast to Halsey's hardcore (war-crime) spartan program. You get what you pay for, so if you want Spartans on the cheap, you're going to get bros.

I'd be into a Spartan IV campaign where John trains them in the ways of the old-school Spartans. It'd get him back in touch with humanity, while giving Majestic some grounding and maybe a lesson or two in being the laconic, stoic type.

Obscured

What a truism, I too am an eternal optimist, yes even for Halo 4.

I'm not being elitist but if you're Aussie I'll play with you and invite you to play with other regular Aussies. However, if you're not located in Australia then no dice I'm afraid. It's just too unfair to my mates who I've played with since Halo 2 days. We play most nights and have usually between 3-10 in our party.

We play with any fellow Aussie as long as you're nice and a semi team player. Stats really don't matter mate.

Sadly, I'm in the US, MDT (sadly in this instance, in general it is great). Not a problem, I don't take it as elitist at all, just pure pragmatism. I occasionally play with a few Europeans and I think I actually have an Aussie still on my friend's list as well, but haven't seen him in a while and the lag can be a killer for sure, not worth the mental damage.

Pop

Maybe next time 343i won't gut halo too pieces, only to fix it back monthssss later.

Poorly Executed

No motion tracker really doesn't bother me in BTB, partially because I'm much more likely to be on a communicative team and camping is a less optimal strategy anyhow.

I can understand radar and no radar, it's been such a polarising element over the years. I would just like to see this slayer pro as another vote variant with radar on.

Sadly, I'm in the US, MDT (sadly in this instance, in general it is great). Not a problem, I don't take it as elitist at all, just pure pragmatism. I occasionally play with a few Europeans and I think I actually have an Aussie still on my friend's list as well, but haven't seen him in a while and the lag can be a killer for sure, not worth the mental damage.

No worries, enjoy your games and I agree it's not worth the rage inducing latency.

Maybe next time 343i won't gut halo too pieces, only to fix it back monthssss later.

Poorly Executed

I can agree they really messed up not having real classic in a variety of playlists at launch. That goes for other classic like BTB objective, arena 4v4 etc.

343i are doing good things recently though and I'm really curious if this reveal has some Halo reveal along with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom