• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

I think we're all over your slurping schtick too, mate.

LYLAS

Thanks bro, I just love your one line drive by sniping posts, such high quality hilarity. FIFA anyone?

I like the game and the studio, shoot me. Apparently I'm guilty of calling the current state of Halo 4 "good", that's a crime in an official Halo thread.

heckfu

Banned
Love You Like A Sister? Lol, that can't be it.

lol thats it

Thanks bro, I just love your one line drive by sniping posts, such high quality hilarity. FIFA anyone?

I like the game and the studio, shoot me. Apparently I'm guilty of calling the current state of Halo 4 "good", that's a crime in an official Halo thread.

I like the game and the studio, too. But that's not it. Even so, I'm not sure it's in a completely good state with the current population and general attitude some places. I wish more than anything it would return to a Halo 2 or Halo 3 state of gameplay and I think it would hit better with seasoned players and pros (that I don't necessarily care 100% about, but it generates revenue and attention). Your posts almost always disregard what's actually happening to try and win over people that can't be won over because it's their opinion no matter how much you try to help them come to your conclusion.

I love the people who work there and can consider some of them friends and that's why I don't try and post a lot of negative shit outside of my general feelings about where I want the gameplay to go, so I stick to talking with friends here in the community I'm a part of (and yes, even play fifa with!).

Karl2177

So it's okay for you to call out someone, but when someone calls you out it deserves a snarky response back?

So it's okay for you to call out someone, but when someone calls you out it deserves a snarky response back?

I give as good as I get, oh look he took the time to reply with more than a sentence or a quip and it was worth reading. It's not the first time Heckfu has heckled me but you know that already mate.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I still need to play Dark Souls. It's on my list before next gen starts. As long as it's difficult in that you have to learn the mechanics and master them to succeed, I'm in. Most modern games add difficulty through cheap AI and gimping the player.

Its not a crime, but its straight up a lie.

This is not a personal opinion. Look:
Capture_zpsfc0237fa.png

Today it PEAKED at 15K, that means for the majority of the day and night it was UNDER that.

Its now #11 on XBL.

Its the Halo with the highest and sharpest decline of MP players.

Nobody is playing for a reason.

1. Campaign is short with low replayability.
2. Spec Ops the episodic content only got ONE season. The mode that replaced the infinitely replayable FF survival mode that fans love. See L4D and CoD Zombies, and even Gears has a mode now like that.
3. MP had no ranking system, and players could hit max rank in a month or less. Even if Halo 4's MP was good, which it isn't for a ton of reasons, why would they keep playing? Wheres the motivation?

So what else is there to do? Players can eat through that much content in a month. Why would they keep playing?

Playlist management like always for Halo has been spotty and slow. New game modes have come and gone and honestly nothing really stands out to me. I honestly wouldn't care for any of the new content to be in the next Halo.

2. Spec Ops the episodic content only got ONE season. The mode that replaced the infinitely replayable FF survival mode that fans love. See L4D and CoD Zombies, and even Gears has a mode now like that.
Uh, Gears pretty much popularized the whole survival mode craze in modern games with Horde in Gears 2.

The funny thing is that Halo 4's Matchmaking changes were generally faster to come than the updates to Halo games of past. But it didn't matter because they never properly addressed core, fundamental, issues. They never made it very clear what was being changed or why until it about happened, and a lot of the times their justifications for their choices didn't make sense. Bungie was a bit more concise when it came to rolling their updates out and informing people and MUCH better at getting the word out. There were a few times during the Halo 2/3 eras that updates felt nearly as big as new game releases. I pin the lack of changes for Reach on contract since they were basically tied down by Activision to end their major ties to Halo by March and the rest by the end of summer. I still wonder what a proper Bungie TU for Reach would have been like -- maybe better, maybe worse than 343. Who can say?

The fact remains is that 343 did a poor job on every level when it came to communicating to their players, and a worse job at catering to people and making them come back every day even though that there was their big claim going into launch. "Water cooler moment" every week, guys.

Its not a crime, but its straight up a lie.

This is not a personal opinion. Look:
Capture_zpsfc0237fa.png

Today it PEAKED at 15K, that means for the majority of the day and night it was UNDER that.

Its now #11 on XBL.

Its the Halo with the highest and sharpest decline of MP players.

Nobody is playing for a reason.

1. Campaign is short with low replayability.
3. MP had no ranking system, and players could hit max rank in a month or less. Even if Halo 4's MP was good, which it isn't for a ton of reasons, why would they keep playing? Wheres the motivation?

So what else is there to do? Players can eat through that much content in a month. Why would they keep playing?

Playlist management like always for Halo has been spotty and slow. New game modes have come and gone and honestly nothing really stands out to me. I honestly wouldn't care for any of the new content to be in the next Halo.

I don't disagree with the population dropping. I've also posted many times I want your version of Halo, just for specific playlists at launch plus ones that you don't even want. Further even in the high times of Halo 3 ranked objective at high levels ran into matching and population issues, as did clan playlists in Halo 2 and Arena in Reach. It's not exactly a day and night issue.

Now get me a population chart like that for other games so we can compare. Take the Major Nelson top 10 or 20 and get charts for all those. I've been looking at Steam over the last few months and apart from the genre kings at the time I see the similar numbers and trends with just about every other game.

Yes Halo 4 at launch wasn't anywhere near as "good" as Halo 4 now. Yes I too want smaller arena style maps. I also want some playlists where even starts are all the rage. I don't want the return of spawn killing/camping or everything be throwdown/MLG all the time either.

My opinion is a lie? Really? My opinion is just that, mine. I liked the game at launch and gave the multiplayer an average-good rating. Now I give multiplayer a flat out good rating with one or two notches up for good measure. I expect next gen Halo multi at launch to be great.

As for campaign/SPOPS/FF and features I give 343i a solid pass with a stern look for replayability. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, in game graphics, cut scenes, terminals and most of the characters, as I read the books and wider universe and it's a damned shame the terminals weren't done in time to be in game. SPOPS if recombined with more firefight from ODST could really have some promise, especially if you look at the Destiny style of seamless matching and public events etc. In terms of the hardware limitations I'm fairly gobsmacked at what they did achieve and the animations/characters in game are that real AAA standard that even Reach lacked IMO. Audio mixing levels are sorely overdue and it really hurt campaign if you ask me, the OST's are simply great. Monk chants as the main theme would be nice. Buttons/Cortana insertions need to drop back by 50% at least, that got annoying and with the cloud being pushed I'm hoping for more dynamisms in terms of SPOPS or multi.

I feel for the lacking customisation, skulls and Forge features though, those were straight up misses at launch.

It's not like Bungie were the holy grail and never missed on any front with every Halo they made, fairness and empathy seem to be Halo community devolutions over the years since CE/2. 343i have a far quicker sustain output rate and communication has ramped up to be equal with Bungie, which is top tier IMO.

Above all else regional dedicated servers and player/team matching with a ranked/social split is the sweet spot for me. If they can integrate player toggles with current matchmaking systems to minimise the developer-centric nature of playlist/map/game/voting elements then next gen Halo will really shine IMO. If they provide this framework I could give 2 shits about if I'm playing 2, 3, Reach or 4 style Halo. I like them all for differing modes and reasons and any given night I want to play. The big ticket items in this last paragraph empower me the player with more choice of the settings and maps I want to play far more than any developer decision regarding studio decisions or playlist management or specific base mechanics etc.

Probably worth noting mates and I play Reach on Thursday nights. When Reach was the current title we played Halo 3 on Thursday nights and the same with 2/3. We stay in touch with the various Halo games and Halo 2/3's P2P, netcode (no regional matching), mods, cheaters and lack of hitscan (3) is pure evil that I wish to never play again. The 2/3 maps, ranks, players with mics and all that I wish to play very often though.

Sorry for the short post, but I had to drive home.

Basically, I at one time looked seriously into a career in game development and everything you've said makes you intensely underqualified for anything except entry-level testing, so you claiming to know all the answers is actually pretty amusing to me. Here's an example of industry people actually discussing how to become a game designer, for real.

Well I am qualified.

I thought the "hire juices" thing was a joke.

Apparently not.

Couldnt do much worse :eek:

The fact that a Halo game can drop under the top 10 on Xbox Live is seriously hilarious. Halo 4, the newest installment to the biggest exclusive franchise on Xbox, which, according to 343 "The best selling Halo game to date", has less players than Black Ops, a almost 4 year old Call of Duty game. Not to mention GTA V, a 5 year old game.

Seriously this is just pathetic. I really wonder what Microsoft plans to do with Halo next gen. Halo still has some weight to it, but after two embarrassing installment, the brand has taken some incredible damage. I wonder if they're going to try as hard as possible to restore good will with the fanbase and make Halo 5 amazing, or they're going to continue to push Halo towards their twisted image, further killing the fanbase.

I wonder if they're even going to continue to rely on Halo next gen, or if they're going to try and push a new IP as the next big thing, and biggest reason to own an Xbox. Hell, if Titan Fall was Xbox Exclusive, Titan Fall could HAVE been the next Halo.

I really wonder what Microsoft plans to do with Halo next gen. Halo still has some weight to it, but after two embarrassing installment, the brand has taken some incredible damage. I wonder if they're going to try as hard as possible to restore good will with the fanbase and make Halo 5 amazing, or they're going to continue to push Halo towards their twisted image, further killing the fanbase.

To me this question has already been answered, look at Halo 4 now and you'll see a lot of what has been asked has returned or been re-imagined:

• Turbo
  • 4SK BR
  • Playlists like Throwdown, Doubles, Snipers
  • Settings like fixed weapon loadouts
  • Playlists without AA's or mods
  • Vote variants like Slayer Pro or BTB objective
  • Matchmaking updates & feedback forums
  • Red X's
  • Global Champs
  • Ricochet
  • CC's & Invites & rotational playlists

Anyhow you get the idea, I think with the resources and the way 4 was developed they've done a lot to move back towards classic Halo for half or most playlists/vote variants. When you take Frankie's, David's or Josh's posts such as ranked vs. social you can see where things are heading.

Anyone expecting a 100% return to Halo 2 or 3 is in for a shock IMO. They simply have to cater for a wider audience but far less 343i single vision across everything.

At least the studio had the balls to make that call for launch after the clusterfuck that Reach playlists/settings turned into. Even playing Reach now on Thursday nights I still have to check what playlist or setting I'm playing constantly and splintering downright sucks. It's still jarring to go from anniversary to TU then over to ZB for example.

Madness

To be honest, TitanFall is literally the only reason I am leaning towards Xbox One. If there was but an inkling of confirmation that it'll come to ps4 soon, I'll probably get Sony's console first.

But I still have this ridiculous optimism for Halo 5, that it'll be the arena shooter to fill the void as all others become ADS/Insta-kill melee shooters.

Would hate to have bought PS4 and then hear how Halo 5 will fix the mistakes of Reach/H4 and be forced to miss it. Don't really want to support two different subscription services so don't really think I'll buy both consoles.

heckfu

Banned
Ugh, that Reach montage brought back so many memories. I probably played that game second most just due to how active the community was and was around when I started playing with you guys the most.

I wish I had a video from my old days of Halo 2. I probably played that game the most since I was in high school and had so much more free time. My crew back then was awesome but it just...fell apart. RIP.

Ugh, that Reach montage brought back so many memories. I probably played that game second most just due to how active the community was and was around when I started playing with you guys the most.
Still so sad I didn't submit a clip. I made it a point to save any decent plays I had in Halo 4, and then, well...yeah.

blamite

A GAF Halo 4 montage would still be cool, though. If the Reach version can make me look back and think "ahh, those were the good ol' days," then pretty much anything is possible.

Anyone expecting a 100% return to Halo 2 or 3 is in for a shock IMO. They simply have to cater for a wider audience but far less 343i single vision across everything.
This doesn't even make sense. How can a game cater to a wider audience, yet have less people playing than ever?
If anything, you're supporting the argument that Halo 4's multiplayer just wasn't a popular experience for most.

I play Halo 4 fairly often and agree that 343 made huge strides in the experience since launch.
I'm not sure if they'll straight up drop all the... depth... that they added to Halo 5. But I can imagine a scenario where it's isolated outside of the main competitive arena experience.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that montage is awesome. I still find myself saving clips in Reach. I did it just the other day. I love the hell out of the game despite all its issues.

FYC

Banned
...I'd help make a Halo 4 GAF montage... I thought about asking a few times but I wasn't sure if I should wait until the next Halo is closer.

Can we use this song?

heckfu

Banned
Yeah, that montage is awesome. I still find myself saving clips in Reach. I did it just the other day. I love the hell out of the game despite all its issues.

I wish they would just take out 100% bloom and make everything super slayer. Bloom is so infuriating STILL.

I wish they would just take out 100% bloom and make everything super slayer. Bloom is so infuriating STILL.
If they made the TU global, I'd play Reach so much more often.
It's impossible to find a game with the TU settings, everyone just goes into the default playlists.

My eagle just needed something to stand on, I swear
I have a brigadier grade 3 friend who tried desperately for his 50, I still give him shit about it :p

Top Bottom