• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Wow I did not know of this.. :/
Holmes explained that one of the goals for Halo 4's campaign was to make incorporate more human elements into the story. To accomplish this the team wrote a B story that explored Master Chief's relationship with his AI partner, Cortana, who would break down into a dementia like state. The team found implementing such a storyline into an action game to be extremely challenging and considered dropping it during development. Holmes was adamant about including it; he took inspiration from his mother's battle with dementia, which she was diagnosed with near the start of the game's development. This led Holmes to want to capture the emotion and tell "a perfect story".

Its really sad to see a Halo game in that position.

Was that Destiny video multiplayer? If so, I really can't see myself playing it. It just looks like (bar Halo 4) CoD in space and armor abilities. The oversaturation of ADS and sprint this gen has just turned me off from Destiny completely.

Maybe I spoiled myself for playing Borderlands 1 & 2 but It really looks like Space Borderlands with 3 persons instead of 4.

Seriously the time difference in getting Inheritor in Reach and getting CSR 150 (130?) in Halo 4 is just ridiculous. Reach took one-two years while Halo 4 took a month.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously the time difference in getting Inheritor in Reach and getting CSR 150 (130?) in Halo 4 is just ridiculous. Reach took one-two years while Halo 4 took a month.
I've played a ton of Reach (over a month of actual in-game hours) and I'm not even close to Inheritor.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

CyReN

Where do I get that? Can't find it.

Click over your name on the bungie forums

ycFIWIn.png

Also they finally let you change your name on there from the looks of it for anyone who made a dumb name during the h2 days like I did.

It makes me laugh in real life if you think anyone from 343 would actually hire you.

343i actually forming some type of community cartography type commitee for playlist/gameplay feedback and changes would be a step in the right direction.

As of now all this is at the whim of MP devs or related that have very little if any community presence and not at all what people seem to really want.

It feels every more increasingly like 2 steps forward 1 step back. Almost getting to the point of being fun and then being held back by a stupid choice.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Don't you do that. Don't you even try to defend the game.

What do you think my "but yeah..." was for? Gui pls. I'm just fact correcting. Madden, FIFA, and GTA are all huge games that came out post-Halo 4. Doesn't mean Halo 4 isn't in a dire place though, just not as dire as that list makes it seem.

Is your avatar from Bungie? because mines 8 too. *bro fist*

yessirrrr. it'll be 9 in january...they grow up so fast!

*high fives*
"Joined Nov 9 2004"
Joined on Halo 2 launch day.

Also they finally let you change your name on there from the looks of it for anyone who made a dumb name during the h2 days like I did.

This is the best thing. I had Strike08 since 2004 and had to make a new profile when I wanted Deadly Cyclone. Finally was able to get everything fixed this year.

Gui_PT

Click over your name on the bungie forums

ycFIWIn.png

Thanks!

sLMrnbc.png

Babbys.

What do you think my "but yeah..." was for? Gui pls. I'm just fact correcting. Madden, FIFA, and GTA are all huge games that came out post-Halo 4. Doesn't mean Halo 4 isn't in a dire place though, just not as dire as that list makes it seem.

I was just joking honey.

In all respects to Holmes, he really should have kept it out of Halo. Cortana was such a mess in Halo 4... I see what they were trying to do, but it didn't work at all.
It was a mess b'cuz Cortana's rampancy kept developing more quickly every time the story itself escalated.

If there was an Easter egg in the game that made you talk with Cortana in her Hologram form. To stop and think for a second (breathing room) about her condition and her choices... all of that potential was negated b'cuz the Didact & Infinity pulled you into their own BS. It didn't give enough dialogue to the player(s) in assessing the main problem that 343 wanted to focus on about Cortana.

Imo, that specific story worked, it was effective, but not at all the right spots.

343i actually forming some type of community cartography type commitee for playlist/gameplay feedback and changes would be a step in the right direction.

As of now all this is at the whim of MP devs or related that have very little if any community presence and not at all what people seem to really want.

It feels every more increasingly like 2 steps forward 1 step back. Almost getting to the point of being fun and then being held back by a stupid choice.

I mean just imagine his resume, under previous work would be Official Shit Talker of 343 since 2011, and examples of work would be "#HGS, #GSO, and #HireJuices"

It's one thing to talk shit about a company when you back with facts of why they're bad, but it's another thing entirely when you want to be with the "kool kids" and flash your e-wang all over the place. "lol 34D sucks because #HGS, lol get shit on, hire juices." Why not post some evidence why Halo 4 sucks and help them with the next game in a realistic way like every other member here is doing? Maybe it's beating a dead horse, but at least it provides some reading material.

Obscured

It was a mess b'cuz Cortana's rampancy kept developing more quickly every time the story itself escalated.

If there was an Easter egg in the game that made you talk with Cortana in her Hologram form. To stop and think for a second (breathing room) about her condition and her choices... all of that potential was negated b'cuz the Didact & Infinity pulled you into their own BS. It didn't give enough dialogue to the player(s) in assessing the main problem that 343 wanted to focus on about Cortana.

There was a lot of potential there, but it wasn't capitalized on, but to be fair, I feel that way about most of the games. CE gets a pass from me because it was the first and because some of the Aliens inspired influences.

I always wonder why people don't go back to Halo 3 or play customs in 4. I was reluctant to go back to 3 because I was assuming a terrible lag fest, but the last time I played it was great if not better than what I was experiencing in Reach. Maybe people are going back and having the experience I was expecting and giving up.

heckfu

Banned
I mean just imagine his resume, under previous work would be Official Shit Talker of 343 since 2011, and examples of work would be "#HGS, #GSO, and #HireJuices"

It's one thing to talk shit about a company when you back with facts of why they're bad, but it's another thing entirely when you want to be with the "kool kids" and flash your e-wang all over the place. "lol 34D sucks because #HGS, lol get shit on, hire juices." Why not post some evidence why Halo 4 sucks and help them with the next game in a realistic way like every other member here is doing? Maybe it's beating a dead horse, but at least it provides some reading material.

you're my favorite new member. this is gold.

TheOddOne

Seems like a lot of key people that were involved with Halo 4 are leaving.

hmmmm I wonder what's going on at 343 right now
Yup.

- Lead Campaign Designer left for Infinity Ward (Now designer on CoD: Ghost)
- Team lead went to Visceral Games (Now Creative Director on a possible Star Wars game)
- Lead multiplayer map designers went to Bluepoint Games (No clue what he is doing, but he is cool in my book because of Haven).
- Lead/senior producer multiplayer has gone indie.
- Narrative director is now helping out MS's Black Tusk studio, but I still think he is active at 343.

There has been an influx of new people though.

- Ex-Creative Director on Lucasart's First Assault and Crystal Dynamics' Tomb Raider reboot joined.
- A bunch of technical staff that worked on SW1313 and First Assault.
- One of Irrational Games writers is now lead writer.

In all respects to Holmes, he really should have kept it out of Halo. Cortana was such a mess in Halo 4... I see what they were trying to do, but it didn't work at all.

It was bad implemented, it feels like cortana fall in love with chief or they have something romantic instead of focus in her rampancy which is something like a terminal disease.

What about a video of making Cortana instead of the origins of Spartans IIs it was covered on the Scanned trailer, people dont know about the stages of rampancy or the IA's lore in Halo.

Before release Juices along with every other member here offered completely valid and reasoned arguments as to why Halo Reach was bad and why Halo 4 was following in its wake with worse choices. Some people like Juices are so sick of this "constructive criticism" that multiple threads were full of they instead resort to just #HGS and Hire juices. Anything you have to say on the matter has been said its that simple.

It's not even worth it now to write down anything constructive because it's already been made clear 343i think they know what's best for the franchise and are taking it in the direction they want regardless of feedback.

Halo right now is in the worse state its EVER been.

Booshka

Juices has posted his wall of opinions and reasoning as to why Halo 4 is terrible. How 343 should approach making Halo and its features in the future. His general thesis toward good Halo has been posted in his huge wall in pretty much every Halo thread on GAF and a lot of other places.

His quips here and there are just little winks and nods as example after example come along of how terrible Halo is, and the how it could be alleviated if Juices Halo philosophy was utilized.

Before release Juices along with every other member here offered completely valid and reasoned arguments as to why Halo Reach was bad and why Halo 4 was following in its wake with worse choices. Some people like Juices are so sick of this "constructive criticism" that multiple threads were full of they instead resort to just #HGS and Hire juices. Anything you have to say on the matter has been said its that simple.

It's not even worth it now to write down anything constructive because it's already been made clear 343i think they know what's best for the franchise and are taking it in the direction they want regardless of feedback.

Halo right now is in the worse state its EVER been.

Juices has posted his wall of opinions and reasoning as to why Halo 4 is terrible. How 343 should approach making Halo and its features in the future. His general thesis toward good Halo has been posted in his huge wall in pretty much every Halo thread on GAF and a lot of other places.

His quips here and there are just little winks and nods as example after example come along of how terrible Halo is, and the how it could be alleviated if Juices Halo philosophy was utilized.

Eh. Fair enough. Part of me would still like to believe that if we just spam walls of text of what Halo should be, maybe Halo will be good again. But it appears that they will do what they want to do. Just like Bungie. They're probably too much Bungie for their own good.

We need fucking Halo 5 news.....

Go back and skim through some of the Halo Reach and Halo OTs during Halo 4's development.
You'll find all of the literature you could ask for on Halo 4 and game design from juices and many other members.

Talking about it now is pretty much beating a dead horse.

Building a company almost from scratch.
Not having to do that.

That's the difference.

You don't think Bungie expanded during the transition? 343 had what a 200 person team to work on an established IP that would sell itself.

and blew it?

I mean they didn't even have to create a new engine from scratch, it's not the technical work where they screwed up. It is the approach and "vision'

Booshka

Go back and skim through some of the Halo Reach and Halo OTs during Halo 4's development.
You'll find all of the literature you could ask for on Halo 4 and game design from juices and many other members.

Talking about it now is pretty much beating a dead horse.

The horse is dead and buried, slowly decomposing into the ground.

Speaking of sizes, didn't Bungie only have 60 people for Halo 2. Either way Halo 2 was a bigger risk by far than Halo 4 when looking back at it.
Yeah, it was something like 60.

Searching for that source, I also found a neat simple deconstruction of the development of Halo 2 era Bungie.net.
I did have to laugh at
"I couldn't conceive of doing this in C++. It would have taken years - No way!" . . .
"Without the ease of .NET we wouldn't have even started" . . .
— Zach Russell, Engineering Lead

daedalius

The lead level designer for Halo 4 has also left this month. He is now working for Naughty Dog as game designer.

Maybe this means we can get more levels akin to CE and H3 instead of Pillar of Autumn.

A shuffle isn't exactly the worst thing to happen, new people bring new ideas after all. I know everyone here loved H4s multiplayer design right out of the gate! Random ordnance everywhere wooooooo...

Karl2177

Eh. Fair enough. Part of me would still like to believe that if we just spam walls of text of what Halo should be, maybe Halo will be good again. But it appears that they will do what they want to do. Just like Bungie. They're probably too much Bungie for their own good.

We need fucking Halo 5 news.....

I'm even crazy and keep bookmarks to my own posts addressing issues. Here's one on Waypoint that I made before release. Halo 4 stats on Waypoint are even worse than they were for Reach, and I was addressing how bad Reach's were.

You want something on Progression, Spartan Ops, player identity, 343 Industries, custom classes, or enemy prioritization?

TheOddOne

Maybe this means we can get more levels akin to CE and H3 instead of Pillar of Autumn.

A shuffle isn't exactly the worst thing to happen, new people bring new ideas after all. I know everyone here loved H4s multiplayer design right out of the gate! Random ordnance everywhere wooooooo...
Yes, you could see it that way.

However, there have been a lot of high profile people -- who were from the start -- leaving. It's normal to some extent to see people leaving, but in this short amount of time? And keep in mind that there is a Halo 5/One/Whatever they are naming it coming out next year.

I know Halo 4's flaws have been rehashed a lot, but jesus, if you're tired of talking about something don't talk. This drive by posting is stupid. I signed up for this discussion forum to actually discuss things, not take part in some pointlessly bitter circle-jerk of lament.

There are sixteen million pages of HaloGAF, so if someone who remembers would provide a link to some relevant and notable discussion, that would be infinitely more helpful for us new members than this "343i is bad, halo is dad, seeya next week" crap.

Edit: Thank you Karl2177! Exactly what I was thinking.

You don't think Bungie expanded during the transition? 343 had what a 200 person team to work on an established IP that would sell itself.

and blew it?

I mean they didn't even have to create a new engine from scratch, it's not the technical work where they screwed up. It is the approach and "vision'

I pretty much agree with that. I was referring to specifically why they didn't have a Beta. Halo 4 would have been better with one, but I think there's compelling business reasons why they didn't have one. They didn't have time while spooling up a company (getting people hired and trained) to also make what amounts to another game (a console Beta) and the release final game for the last holiday season before next-gen. In a couple years I'm 99% sure we'll be hearing about the horrible crunch for Halo 4 and how it was at least as bad as Halo 2's.

Top Bottom