• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

I'm even crazy and keep bookmarks to my own posts addressing issues. Here's one on Waypoint that I made before release. Halo 4 stats on Waypoint are even worse than they were for Reach, and I was addressing how bad Reach's were.

You want something on Progression, Spartan Ops, player identity, 343 Industries, custom classes, or enemy prioritization?

Good shit, very enjoyable reads. I'm looking for another game like Halo 2, simple, but addictive gameplay. Murder Miners is the only thing that's gotten close in recent years.

Real talk: I think (intelligent, organized) negativity is just as pivotal as positivity. I've never understood why people hate the salt here more than the slrp for some inherent reason.

That being said, drive-by slrping is just as fucking stupid as drive-by salting.

Madness

How the hell is Black Ops, a game which came out almost three years ago, beating Halo 4? It's still not even a year from launch.

I truly think it's over for the series. A lot of people who are Halo fans aren't even getting an XbOne and so they probably couldn't even play Halo 5 if they wanted to.

It's great to see GTA V at number one. Coupled with the massive sales and money generated, Rockstar didn't compromise who they were, they took their time, and improved on every facet of GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Real talk: I think (intelligent, organized) negativity is just as pivotal as positivity. I've never understood why people hate the salt here more than the slrp for some inherent reason.

That being said, drive-by slrping is just as fucking stupid as drive-by salting.

mtpp5xo.gif

Lord knows I've been guilty of it. Hopefully it's evened out a bit over time. It's hard to stop the "I want to love Halo" train. That pre-launch stuff (some of which was me) shhheeeeeeeesh.

Apologies to everyone for that shit. Like I said, I like to argue though. Gui keeps me in line now.

How the hell is Black Ops, a game which came out almost three years ago, beating Halo 4? It's still not even a year from launch.

-Great DLC support.
-US servers are great, in the US.
-Zombies Achievements are really hard to get
-Multiple Weapons balances after launch
-Tons Patchs and fixes that actually makes the game playable in non US countries.

BigShow36

That and it's fairly balanced for CoD. Enjoyed it as much as playing Reach at the time.

I've enjoyed all of the CoD games more than their respective Halo games for one simple reason; I can be effective as an individual and take on multiple opponents with a reasonable expectation of victory based on my actions.

Yeah, it sucks that short-range combat is a spray-fest, but that's better than ALL of Halo's combat being an plodding, aim-assisted snorefest. At least in CoD I can outshoot opponents at longer ranges consistently and pull of amazing shots using tricky angles and fast reactions.

Blueblur1

Before release Juices along with every other member here offered completely valid and reasoned arguments as to why Halo Reach was bad and why Halo 4 was following in its wake with worse choices. Some people like Juices are so sick of this "constructive criticism" that multiple threads were full of they instead resort to just #HGS and Hire juices. Anything you have to say on the matter has been said its that simple.

It's not even worth it now to write down anything constructive because it's already been made clear 343i think they know what's best for the franchise and are taking it in the direction they want regardless of feedback.

Halo right now is in the worse state its EVER been.

This is all true. I don't bother anymore because they don't give a shit.

Ghazi

Compared to MW2, Black Ops is the most balanced game of all time.

What I mean is that coming off MW2, the post launch support for Black Ops was amazing and they probably fixed every issue requested (FAMAS and AK-74U) and even others people didn't know about. It's also a very well rounded game with its Campaign, that MP, and Zombies. Come to think of it, I bet you at least 25% of remaining players are there for Zombies.

Never mind, couldn't get point across.

But... I got it. I was gonna say it's easy to feel awesome at CoD because if you get into the right position (often by spawning) you can kill 3/4 of the enemy team before they can turn around, figure out where you are, scope in/ADS, and fire back. Shoot first win always gameplay.

But... I got it. I was gonna say it's easy to feel awesome at CoD because if you get into the right position (often by spawning) you can kill 3/4 of the enemy team before they can turn around, figure out where you are, scope in/ADS, and fire back. Shoot first win always gameplay.

Exactly why I prefer Halo over any COD-like games e.g. 1 headshot kills. Playing from Oz just isn't fun and you know the other player didn't win due to skill etc. It's the same reason I never really played SWAT much in Halo 2, 3, Reach or 4.

I wonder if COD will ever have a game mode that introduces a shield type mechanic?

Madness

LOL, never edit. Yeah it's like how can anyone really say it's about individual skill when everything about the series has moved away from 'equal starts' to completely randomized gameplay.

Heck, it made sense that everyone would get a uav at 3 kills, airstrike/artillery at 5 kills and then helicopter/dogs at 7. More people die getting shot from the back by someone who spawned behind them and sprinted as opposed to any 'gunfights'. There is almost little to no map control, no stealth, no team gunplay, and perks/loadouts completely randomize gunplay.

It's no fun to say I'm a boss when you're rocking something like Sleight of Hand, Juggernaut or Steady Aim and killing someone who only had hardline, marathon and scavenger.

My little 7 and 10 year old cousin's play Black Ops II and don't like Halo 4 because it's too hard for them. That tells you everything about the gameplay. I don't see how you can hate Reach or Halo 4 and yet praise CoD. The reason a lot of us hate Halo 4 or Reach is because they tried to become like CoD and add things which changed what core Halo gameplay was about.

Fuchsdh

Wow, I might have to watch Night Rider now.

Welp Ozzy, tried capturing to my external HDD via Firewire. 720p23.98 or 29.97 got me prolly 10-15 frames in ProRes or DVCHD Pro (JPEG is only available for 50 or 60frames, and wouldn't play back or capture either way.) Looks like I'll have to get myself an SSD; there's options with FW800 and USB3 so I should be future-proofed at least. This Blackmagic has been absolute shit with crummy support--guess it's the last time I'm supporting them.

DeadNames

Banned
I don't like CoD because there's little to no room to outplay someone. All the maps are tiny, so basically whoever gets the first shot off wins. I also dislike the "rich get richer" mindset in CoD. If you're stomping, you almost become unstoppable. However in Halo you could easily outplay someone who is crushing because of the uniform starts.

But gone are those days.

BigShow36

I don't like CoD because there's little to no room to outplay someone. All the maps are tiny, so basically whoever gets the first shot off wins. I also dislike the "rich get richer" mindset in CoD. If you're stomping, you almost become unstoppable. However in Halo you could easily outplay someone who is crushing because of the uniform starts.

But gone are those days.

Then how is everyone not unstoppable? How am I consistently doing better than everyone else?

You guys dislike CoD for the very same reason I dislike modern Halo games. I can outplay someone in CoD with more frequency than I can in Halo games. Its a sad reality. "Outplaying" in Halo usually means you got first shot on someone, teamshot comes into play, or one of the random variances of the weapons fell in your favor.

I have tons of experience with both series, and I find that my personal accuracy and ability rewards me more in recent CoD games than it does in recent Halo games. I used to be one of the biggest naysayers of CoD back in the Halo CE/early Halo 2 days (when I still had hope for Halo). However, I simply can't ignore the fact that CoD appeals to me more as a competitive and casual player now.

I'm not saying CoD is the pinnacle of competitive FPS on console, but it's certainly better than this garbage Halo has become.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Yup.

- Lead Campaign Designer left for Infinity Ward (Now designer on CoD: Ghost)
- Team lead went to Visceral Games (Now Creative Director on a possible Star Wars game)
- Lead multiplayer map designers went to Bluepoint Games (No clue what he is doing, but he is cool in my book because of Haven).
- Lead/senior producer multiplayer has gone indie.
- Narrative director is now helping out MS's Black Tusk studio, but I still think he is active at 343.

There has been an influx of new people though.

- Ex-Creative Director on Lucasart's First Assault and Crystal Dynamics' Tomb Raider reboot joined.
- A bunch of technical staff that worked on SW1313 and First Assault.
- One of Irrational Games writers is now lead writer.
LWX1fMn.gif
HSxi46w.gif
LWX1fMn.gif

Wow, I might have to watch Night Rider now.

Welp Ozzy, tried capturing to my external HDD via Firewire. 720p23.98 or 29.97 got me prolly 10-15 frames in ProRes or DVCHD Pro (JPEG is only available for 50 or 60frames, and wouldn't play back or capture either way.) Looks like I'll have to get myself an SSD; there's options with FW800 and USB3 so I should be future-proofed at least. This Blackmagic has been absolute shit with crummy support--guess it's the last time I'm supporting them.

Ouch, that is horrible mate. You can throw anything Canopus/Pinnacle in the trash along with Blackmagic too as their support sucks from first hand experience. It's a bit weird as I've heard Blackmagic are quite good and I believe that's what Rooster Teeth use for their capturing. Personally I'd go an AVerMedia capture device or HDMI-in direct from the source if your rig supports that. Seems like your ports and old HDD combined with forced codecs are your culprit though. Hauppauge are in your consumer range but at least they have decent support.

If you have an AMP in your home theatre can you output from that directly to a MAC input? You might also look at a converter cable but that can be a mixed bag again performance wise. Overall I've been super happy with the Live Gamer Portable and a fast write SD, I just record what I want then plug the SD card in to download the video from to my laptop/PC from there.

Madness

One thing I'm wary of, would be people using 343 and Halo as a stepping stone for their career. Work on Halo, ship it, and then update resume with things like was Lead Designer on so and so for HALO, which has huge brand recognition, and apply elsewhere.

Where does this guy rank in terms of say over MP decisions? I know Brad Welch is like the lead Infinity designer, and Kevin Franklin was the lead designer on War Games, so where would this guy rank?

Yeah, where's an org chart when you need one? Everybody's a Lead something over there.

heckfu

Banned
One thing I'm wary of, would be people using 343 and Halo as a stepping stone for their career. Work on Halo, ship it, and then update resume with things like was Lead Designer on so and so for HALO, which has huge brand recognition, and apply elsewhere.

That's such a smart move, though.

Fuchsdh

Ouch, that is horrible mate. You can throw anything Canopus/Pinnacle in the trash along with Blackmagic too as their support sucks from first hand experience. It's a bit weird as I've heard Blackmagic are quite good and I believe that's what Rooster Teeth use for their capturing. Personally I'd go an AVerMedia capture device or HDMI-in direct from the source if your rig supports that. Seems like your ports and old HDD combined with forced codecs are your culprit though. Hauppauge are in your consumer range but at least they have decent support.

If you have an AMP in your home theatre can you output from that directly to a MAC input? You might also look at a converter cable but that can be a mixed bag again performance wise. Overall I've been super happy with the Live Gamer Portable and a fast write SD, I just record what I want then plug the SD card in to download the video from to my laptop/PC from there.

I had an Intensity Pro PCI-e card on an old work computer that worked fine; you'd think since they're the same price one would work as well as the other but I'm guessing the Shuttles are simply shoddier. Not offering more codec support and updates for modern software (not even Premiere for Mac) is pretty bad.

Well, that's honestly prolly where they got a lot of people drawn in. If you want to work on a AAA game Halo's not a bad one. But I imagine that's a susceptibility of any big game studio, especially if it's relatively young.

Madness

That's such a smart move, though.

Yeah and it is a self-interested world and I get it but it won't bode well for 343 and the series though. You'd think a large studio like that, to work on what was the premiere shooter/IP in the industry would be something to strive for, not look past.

Then again, I'm not in games development. Don't know how brutal it is, whether MS is a good place to work, too corporate etc.

Another problem is, if so many leave, you don't have that core 'grizzled ancients' team stick around to improve on the mistakes in subsequent games.

heckfu

Banned
Yeah and it is a self-interested world and I get it but it won't bode well for 343 and the series though. You'd think a large studio like that, to work on what was the premiere shooter/IP in the industry would be something to strive for, not look past.

Then again, I'm not in games development. Don't know how brutal it is, whether MS is a good place to work, too corporate etc.

Another problem is, if so many leave, you don't have that core 'grizzled ancients' team stick around to improve on the mistakes in subsequent games.

Oh no I agree on all of those points. Just saying as an individual looking to move up the ladder it's a really good resume move.

I hope the reason all these lead designers left is because Frankie put a copy of Halo 2 on all of their desks, and said make a game like this or else, and walked away.

FyreWulff

The Microsoft corporate culture is tons of middle management and meetings. Their hiring style is to make jobs like slots and find people that fill those slots who will fulfill the task. I did a one off contracting job for a company that was deeply tied to MS ages back and only got the glancing blow of this style.

The game industry overall has the constant revolving door symptom due to the pump and dump style of development, but Microsoft's corporate culture is something else. They've been like that since pre-Xbox though.

is pretty accurate

This is pretty much how the industry works. You have to wedge yourself into a company, then lateral into another company, then lateral into another one, until you get the one you want (unless you just decide to strike out as an indie and stick to it). Nobody trains game developers, you just have to have experience already before you're hired. It's shortsighted, but most companies ensure that one person won't be able to change things. Through either layers of middle management or other methods. I could vent on this forever.

edit: also, 343 is a special case compared to other developers in that 343 is only ever going to work on Halo. You can't be long term at 343 unless you really believe in building the Halo world for that amount of time. Unlike say working for Nintendo, or Take Two, or Ubisoft, where if you have a brand new game you can probably get it funded and shipped in a multitude of genres. There's nothing wrong with being a monouniverse studio, but that's not for everyone. The Halo universe is as one or three dimensional as 343 determines it to be.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I hope the reason all these lead designers left is because Frankie put a copy of Halo 2 on all of their desks, and said make a game like this or else, and walked away.

Ha ha, I wouldn't read too much into the various team member transitions. Working at a game studio is surprisingly high stress and can be difficult, especially for those with families, in the long term. We spent the vast majority of the last several years working to build up the studio and ship Halo 4. We are in a bit of a quiet period compared to the last couple years and annual reviews and bonuses were completed in early September as they are every year. It's not that unusual for some folks to pick this time of year to step away and pursue other opportunities.

I will miss all of the people who have moved on, not just because they are my friends, but because you form a bond with people that you ship a game with. Especially those I shipped Halo 4 with. I like to refer to 343 as the "great experiment." We literally threw a couple hundred people into a building and said, "make the next halo game." Now, you can judge the results for yourselves (naturally there are things we would have done differently with the value of hindsight or more time) but I will always be proud that we were successful in releasing the game on time.

We learned a lot from Halo 4, and we have brought some incredibly talented and smart people into the studio this year. I certainly can't talk about current goings on in any kind of detail, but I am personally very excited about the future of our studio and the franchise that brought our studio together.

Booties

Banned
Yeah, really. Obviously that crew wasn't great. I'm sure they had a hell of a fun time and made great bonds, but see ya later.

FyreWulff

Although personally, the idea that you get employed and are loyal to a company for life is outdated. I actually enjoy being a mercenary more, because just as things are getting too stable boring you're on to something else.

Of course, this is also probably going to end up with Ghaleon beating me over the head with an inflatable bat later in life going "Y U NO SAV RETIR"

heckfu

Banned
Although personally, the idea that you get employed and are loyal to a company for life is outdated. I actually enjoy being a mercenary more, because just as things are getting too stable boring you're on to something else.

Of course, this is also probably going to end up with Ghaleon beating me over the head with an inflatable bat later in life going "Y U NO SAV RETIR"

Fortunately I'm loyal to the current company I work for. As a pharmacist my pay is graded based on experience - longer I work, more I get paid. Plus, I'm in a hospital setting where we're treated nicely and get certain non -monetary bonuses as opposed to retail (see: chairs and not having to deal with insurance).

I mean just imagine his resume, under previous work would be Official Shit Talker of 343 since 2011, and examples of work would be "#HGS, #GSO, and #HireJuices"

It's one thing to talk shit about a company when you back with facts of why they're bad, but it's another thing entirely when you want to be with the "kool kids" and flash your e-wang all over the place. "lol 34D sucks because #HGS, lol get shit on, hire juices." Why not post some evidence why Halo 4 sucks and help them with the next game in a realistic way like every other member here is doing? Maybe it's beating a dead horse, but at least it provides some reading material.

I have an education, I have previous work.

Every job I've had, every obstacle I've had, I've overcame.

You know nothing about me. So why not stop attacking me?

I've literally already posted what they need to do. If you've read any of my serious posts which I only bother doing like once a month anymore.

You just got here OK. I've been here for a much longer time, Listing and telling them what they need to do. OK so excuse me if after years of them not listening I forget to keep all my posts extremely full of thoughtful response. Them not listening has gotten me very discouraged and apathetic about the whole situation.

So now each time a new piece of relevant information (Like them being #11 on XBL charts) excuse me if I remind them who has the answers.

And if you don't think I have every fucking answer for them than you can fuck off, its not an opinion. I know what makes Halo great.

I've literally already posted what they need to do. If you've read any of my serious posts which I only bother doing like once a month anymore.

You just got here OK. I've been here for a much longer time, Listing and telling them what they need to do. OK so excuse me if after years of them not listening I forget to keep all my posts extremely full of thoughtful response. Them not listening has gotten me very discouraged and apathetic about the whole situation.

So now each time a new piece of relevant information (Like them being #11 on XBL charts) excuse me if I remind them who has the answers.

And if you don't think I have every fucking answer for them than you can fuck off, its not an opinion. I know what makes Halo great.

lol waow

Hey Eugn, feel lucky you didn't sign up when this thread still had a "thing" against Juniors. Can't believe some nerds in here gave me shit for having an avatar..

Ya live and ya move on, gotta love crazy Halo fans.

That's not true.. The positive posts are clearly either lying or just in a happy-go-lucky, loving life, good mood, whereas the negative posts are either funny or being real, likely both.

Madness

Ha ha, I wouldn't read too much into the various team member transitions. Working at a game studio is surprisingly high stress and can be difficult, especially for those with families, in the long term. We spent the vast majority of the last several years working to build up the studio and ship Halo 4. We are in a bit of a quiet period compared to the last couple years and annual reviews and bonuses were completed in early September as they are every year. It's not that unusual for some folks to pick this time of year to step away and pursue other opportunities.

I will miss all of the people who have moved on, not just because they are my friends, but because you form a bond with people that you ship a game with. Especially those I shipped Halo 4 with. I like to refer to 343 as the "great experiment." We literally threw a couple hundred people into a building and said, "make the next halo game." Now, you can judge the results for yourselves (naturally there are things we would have done differently with the value of hindsight or more time) but I will always be proud that we were successful in releasing the game on time.

We learned a lot from Halo 4, and we have brought some incredibly talented and smart people into the studio this year. I certainly can't talk about current goings on in any kind of detail, but I am personally very excited about the future of our studio and the franchise that brought our studio together.

That's what I meant. Like everyone at 343 knows each other now, on a personal and professional level. They shipped the game together, they know who is capable of what, what are certain strengths for certain people. As long as a lot of these positions are filled internally, I don't think it'll be a problem.

I'm optimistic Halo 5 will be a much more cohesive, polished, and far more enjoyable game. A lot of the first time studio problems have been ironed out, support has been great well past launch, and with the increased power and storage of systems, here's hoping a lot of legacy features come back.

Hey Eugn, feel lucky you didn't sign up when this thread still had a "thing" against Juniors. Can't believe some nerds in here gave me shit for having an avatar..

Ya live and ya move on, gotta love crazy Halo fans.

That's not true.. The positive posts are clearly either lying or just in a happy-go-lucky, loving life, good mood, whereas the negative posts are either funny or being real, likely both.

I see a link between the bolded.

If that's how you take criticism you'd be a barrel of laughs to work or collaborate with. Funny I had the same reaction to you when I initially starting posting here, perhaps that's something for us all to ponder. I even commented about your resume skill set myself, albeit in a more professional manner.

Some of your old posts are quote worthy and to an extent you do know what you're talking about. A good chunk of your old listings should be taken into the development lifecycle. However, your holistic view of Halo is narrow though mate, your vision of Halo doesn't appeal to the wider Halo gamut of fans. Both you, as in strictly multiplayer hyper-competitive types, and 343i have to find some middle ground for the next title at launch. Competitive and base gameplay almost depend on that and from what I've seen with Halo 4 turbo and some of the DLC maps combined with the Global Championships were well under way for something special next gen.

Bungie evolved the game to appeal to a wider audience with each iteration and 343i took it too far with Halo 4 at launch. IMO 343i have since made a very large weighting back to Halo of old and we can all see a much larger percentage of the next gen launch Halo title being very different to Halo 4 at launch. Halo 4 now is as much as a sustain team and the engine/matchmaking can handle towards being like Halo 2/3. There are limits to their investment of resources post launch.

I too am over the HGS and Hire Juices jokes, time for new material guys.

Nice to hear direct from the horses mouth. Speculation here and I don't expect you to be able to confirm it but it seems like Halo 4 ran tight on time to make the release date, yes?

Top Bottom