• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

"and I will leave my Xbox on".

/dead.

The more I play my Xbox One, the more I realize I can't get into an FPS as much as I got into Halo. I get tired and frustrated with CoD in 10 minutes, and Battlefield 4 frustrates me the first minute of playing. I hope Titan Fall is more fun for me than CoD/Battlefield. Battlefield is way too complicated for me, and CoD is too simple. :p

I know those feels, I've never gotten into COD in 3 game attempts and tried BF3 too. Now I'm sitting here losing the fight for a X1 impulse buy tonight. Should I go BF4 or Ryse or Forza? I have FIFA, KI & ACIV already. Seriously missing an FPS but I think I'll get more value out of Forza.

Also Sub Zero your first AND last name are showing over at sound cloud.

I know those feels, I've never gotten into COD in 3 game attempts and tried BF3 too. Now I'm sitting here losing the fight for a X1 impulse buy tonight. Should I go BF4 or Ryse or Forza? I have FIFA, KI & ACIV already. Seriously missing an FPS but I think I'll get more value out of Forza.

Go with Forza, its an incredible game and the only one out of those 3 I would legitimately call "amazing". Battlefield 4 crashes a lot and has issues currently, get it later. Ryse is just bad. :p

Save the money and get addicted to Path of Exile.

Nebula

I know the OT doesn't set the tone of the entire thread, which is why I said I'd like to see what discussion comes from it, not "it will make the thread more positive/hopeful for da future"

It's time we left the mantle in more positive hands.

Aww shit now I need new headphones. My current ones are getting a ton of interference.

Go with Forza, its an incredible game and the only one out of those 3 I would legitimately call "amazing". Battlefield 4 crashes a lot and has issues currently, get it later. Ryse is just bad. :p

Thx , Forza downloading now. Secretly I'm not up for more USA FPS host dominance, especially quicks kills of BF4 or COD vs. say Titanfall (hopefully) or Halo. I really like the look of Ryse but the replay ability seems limited.

Save the money and get addicted to Path of Exile.

Actually looks like solid production value but I'm not big into fantasy style stuff. At a glance this seems sort of WOW-ish.

I know the OT doesn't set the tone of the entire thread, which is why I said I'd like to see what discussion comes from it, not "it will make the thread more positive/hopeful for da future"

It's time we left the mantle in more positive hands.

Aww shit now I need new headphones. My current ones are getting a ton of interference.

Got asked and replied but I agree the OTs should come from a community discussion.

Funny my wireless Sennheiser headphones pick up my neighbours wireless home phone all the time. Good thing I know my neighbours well as it's two way too. Just changed the frequency and all good though. My turtle beach ones don't get any interference but they're coded to a fixed frequency.

m23

Forza is great gameplay wise, but as a long time Forza fan, it really does feel like a slap in the face. Less track count, less car count, you can only race your own cars in free play mode (or choose from a select group), no more gifted cars when you level up so you need to buy every car and that makes experimenting with new cars very tough.

Gameplay wise, sure Forza is great and always has been. Content wise, Forza 5 is a huge step down from previous entries.

Also, Ryse is not really that bad. I'm having fun with it, probably because I like the whole Roman setting and I love hack and slash games. Plus, it looks so damn beautiful.

TheOddOne

Bravo has been with 343 for a year now? Time sure does fly.

Congrats, Bravo.
BaCcN9aCAAA7xxL.jpg:large

I wouldn't get any of those.

Dead Rising 3, and Killer Instinct are standouts IMO, still haven't played Zoo Tycoon yet, but Forza was incredibly underwhelming + disappointing.

I'm just giving you shit.

Oh wow. The combo of that ridiculous spartan statue and a keep calm t-shirt says so much about the brains behind Halo's reanimated corpse. Wow.

Don't forget Pudge McOonsktee and the 343 industries banner in the back.

Tawpgun

I think the OT should reflect the community. There's some people here who still thoroughly enjoy the game and think its really good. But they are in a small minority.

Take excerpts from Fyrewullfs Halo 4 One Year retrospective, add in some population charts and a summary of what we feel Halo 4 did wrong.

There's still people from Gaming side that come in saying "I don't get it, I think Halo 4 is the best one yet what problems do people have with it?"

It's also one big "WHY IS HALO BAD AND HOW TO FIX IT" advertisement to 343 from this community.

Not like they don't know our concerns by now or anything, but still.
Don't feel bad, you were like 7 when Halo 2 came out.
JOKES ON YOU! I was at the ripe manly age of 12!
14 when I got a 360, live, and played Halo 2 online

gAg CruSh3r

I think the OT should reflect the community. There's some people here who still thoroughly enjoy the game and think its really good. But they are in a small minority.

Take excerpts from Fyrewullfs Halo 4 One Year retrospective, add in some population charts and a summary of what we feel Halo 4 did wrong.

There's still people from Gaming side that come in saying "I don't get it, I think Halo 4 is the best one yet what problems do people have with it?"

It's also one big "WHY IS HALO BAD AND HOW TO FIX IT" advertisement to 343 from this community.

Not like they don't know our concerns by now or anything, but still.

JOKES ON YOU! I was at the ripe manly age of 12!
14 when I got a 360, live, and played Halo 2 online

I like your idea.

#TawpgunHaloGAFsOTCordinator

Flipyap

Don't forget Pudge McOonsktee and the 343 industries banner in the back.
No, but seriously, how was that statue not burned and dumped in a ditch somewhere before they started filming? Surely someone on the set had to be sober.
Instead, they chose to film it, kept it and now are proudly displaying that stupid thing. Yeesh!

Even though it caused Halogaf to fall into a thousand years of darkness, I think another collab OT is a good idea. I can figure out an index linking to the major halo threads (OTs, halo 3 4-player co-op, halo 4 one year after, etc.) and from there we can probably have a mix of "legitimate" information (if sparse) and then get some actual information on the community.

Someone should follow in eazyb's footsteps and make an updated list of all the members.

Actually, I think I might.

Even though it caused Halogaf to fall into a thousand years of darkness, I think another collab OT is a good idea. I can figure out an index linking to the major halo threads (OTs, halo 3 4-player co-op, halo 4 one year after, etc.) and from there we can probably have a mix of "legitimate" information (if sparse) and then get some actual information on the community.

Someone should follow in eazyb's footsteps and make an updated list of all the members.

Actually, I think I might.

No.

Fuchsdh

No, but seriously, how was that statue not burned and dumped in a ditch somewhere before they started filming? Surely someone on the set had to be sober.
Instead, they chose to film it, kept it and now are proudly displaying that stupid thing. Yeesh!

And your major issue with it is?

Flipyap

And your major issue with it is?
Besides being an awkward, ugly thing? It's a statue of an unrelated culture's ancient soldier holding a modern weapon. It makes about as much sense as a US military academy displaying a statue of a Zulu warrior with an AK (though I guess that would at least be so dumb, it would be funny).
I guess it's actually supposed to be a centurion, so it doesn't even make sense as a visual pun. What a stupid thing.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
My only issue with that statue is that he's holding an AR, I will never, ever understand the boner that canon has for that gun. Plus we all know Corbulo is a BR/DMR guy.

Flipyap

My only issue with that statue is that he's holding an AR, I will never, ever understand the boner that canon has for that gun. Plus we all know Corbulo is a BR/DMR guy.
Books are more into fetishizing BRs, but everything else uses ARs simply because they're visually interesting and distinctive, unlike the other rifles.

Tawpgun

Because the AR wrecks shit in the books. Different kinds of rounds, automatic etc.

But shit would suck if it was like that in game. Automatic firefights zzzzzZZZzzzz

Fuchsdh

Besides being an awkward, ugly thing? It's a statue of an unrelated culture's ancient soldier holding a modern weapon. It makes about as much sense as a US military academy displaying a statue of a Zulu warrior with an AK (though I guess that would at least be so dumb, it would be funny).
I guess it's actually supposed to be a centurion, so it doesn't even make sense as a visual pun. What a stupid thing.

I don't think you can say it doesn't make sense. We're not five hundreds of years in the future with a society much closer to ancient Rome in many ways compared to our present day. They named their academy after a guy who's pretty much only famous for agreeing to kill himself for something he didn't do—obviously their values are a bit different. As for our present situation, we often use the spectre of past warriors as a form of propaganda and continuity. Sure we don't give George Washington an AK (outside of some pretty hilarious art I've seen online, replete with wrestling bears in a tornado) but I don't think it's a stretch the UNSC would appropriate that culture.

As for the aesthetics itself, while I think the posture of the statue is a bit off, I like it overall—feels a bit like art deco statuary, especially with the geometric abstraction of the person. It's pretty nice for the budget.

The only other numbered sequel to Halo that doesn't have an AR on its original cover is 2.

Excluding CEA.

Why all the others have ARs (besides CE) Idk.

[URL="https://twitter.com/kevin_franklin/status/403762511683416064

At least everyone has faith in this guy. Does anyone else think at this point this guy hurts the brand. I never see anything positive about him.

Halo 4 is their first game, they wanted to follow their vision of the game no matter what happened and see how it worked. Now they have to collect all the feedback and do something to make Halo important again outside the fanbase.

Tawpgun

He's a nice dude, and to be fair we don't know exactly what he directly contributed to the game.

But it comes with the territory. When you're lead MP designer you're gonna get the flak from the community about everything. Even if you're just a cog in the wheel. I doubt Infinity settings are a byproduct of one mans ruthless uncompromising vision for the game.

He's a nice dude, and to be fair we don't know exactly what he directly contributed to the game.

But it comes with the territory. When you're lead MP designer you're gonna get the flak from the community about everything. Even if you're just a cog in the wheel. I doubt Infinity settings are a byproduct of one mans ruthless uncompromising vision for the game.

True but judging by the positive feedback which revolves mostly around the campaign it should be asked where the MP went wrong. I never see anything pro about the MP. Even on gaming side when people speak well of H4 they talk about SP. I truly hope they get their shit straight. Base player movement was so good H5 needs to get back to it's Arena roots. I played Killzone at a friends and wanted to kill myself.

CyReN

Yea he's a nice dude, but stick him to campaign or Spartan Ops. Leave MP alone for people that fully understand it or have experience with Halo prior to Halo 4. Still can't believe he said Halo CE didn't have random respawns and told Ace at H4GC that flinch was better than descoping. It's cool to have opinions but not to the extend where it can be somewhat ignorant.

Yea he's a nice dude, but stick him to campaign or Spartan Ops. Leave MP alone for people that fully understand it or have experience with Halo prior to Halo 4. Still can't belive he said Halo CE didn't have random respawns and told Ace at H4GC that flinch was better than descoping. It's cool to have opinions but not to the extend where it can be somewhat ignorant.

smh

Yea he's a nice dude, but stick him to campaign or Spartan Ops. Leave MP alone for people that fully understand it or have experience with Halo prior to Halo 4. Still can't believe he said Halo CE didn't have random respawns and told Ace at H4GC that flinch was better than descoping. It's cool to have opinions but not to the extend where it can be somewhat ignorant.

Sooooo..... is Halo 5 doomed then? Because there is such a thing as a bad opinion and this is example #1.

Fuchsdh

I would have agreed with that sentiment before I saw it in practice with Halo 4. Being descoped is still extremely frustrating, but so is getting all but one shot and having your reticle bob ever so slightly off. Maybe if it were always the equivalent of the stability perk or slightly less I'd go for it over descope.

I wonder how the game would play if you were only descoped from power weapons? (Assume there is no 3x scoped weapon.)

CyReN

Sooooo..... is Halo 5 doomed then? Because there is such a thing as a bad opinion and this is example #1.

I can't really say since no one really knows but 343. I think the team learned a lot from the missteps of Halo 4. 343 got a lot of smart people with: Quinn, Bravo, Josh Menke, etc so I hope they can rebound from a MP perspective.

I just want to play Halo, even if it's half as good as Halo 3. It's been far too long since there's been a solid overall MP experience for older halo player.

Yea he's a nice dude, but stick him to campaign or Spartan Ops. Leave MP alone for people that fully understand it or have experience with Halo prior to Halo 4. Still can't believe he said Halo CE didn't have random respawns and told Ace at H4GC that flinch was better than descoping. It's cool to have opinions but not to the extent where it can be somewhat ignorant.
Wut
Really?

Can't wait for MP ViDocs: We screwed up. Kevin is a scrub. Bravo rules. We saved Halo.

I wish we had flinching AND descoping.

All due respect and all but we have a lot more problems than either. I would think the Bravo hiring and all the changes to the MP in the opposite direction than what they intended would make 343 think to put this guy somewhere else. Either way, he and the rest of whoever made that boneheaded MP should be on a short leash. Halo 5 cannot have a shitty MP when you have other potential juggernauts joining the scene. First it was CoD, now BF, Titanfall and Destiny. If Halo 5 MP is junk then its over. People had less options even when Reach was released and honestly at least that had Bungie going for it. Right or wrong 343 has not made a good Halo game yet. They need some equity.

Top Bottom