• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Real people need to play these gametypes and maps before they are made public not sycophantic pro's

Legendary slayer is the furthest step to a good game Halo 4 has been yet but maps over-encumbered with power weapons and AR starts fucking ruin it. 2 steps forward 1 back seems a very apt way to describe it. I've been completely ignoring the state of Halo 4 recently and I only started playing again the other day but with swat in so many playlists and terrible selections up for vote/veto even the "good" playlist are garbage.

Playing game after game waiting for the fun to start and it never does.

I used to want to spend hours playing now I struggle to play an hour without boredom or frustration ruining the experience

Played two games of Legendary Slayer:

1) Shutout. Games starts 3v2 (I'm on the to3). I snatch snipe. I'm host. I'm basically invincible against AR strays from BR and top lift. Hit nearly every shot. Invincible. By the time the game has introduced two new teammates for the opposite team they are 14-2 down. New guys quit instantly. Ends up with one guy staying until I get the Frenzy on him with Snipe and Sword combo. He eventually quits. Win the game early by like 30 kills. Classic Halo experience.

2) Haven. Grab Rockets top mid and discover SIX in the chamber! Destroy everyone plus grab sniper for even more dongage. The AR is now the pre-weapon tweak SAW, ridiculously powerful up close, particularly on host.

I can't believe Bravo would have passed six rockets and no secondary pistol. Can't be real or intentional.

Still more fun than Infinity though

Real people need to play these gametypes and maps before they are made public not sycophantic pro's

Nice word. Yea thats how I feel, anyone whos honored with the privilege of getting close to 343i has to immediately suck up whatever they are feeding or else they get removed from the "club"

N its just resulted in this idiotic hiveminded shitty Halo we have happening now.

Yeah. I'm convinced that either the matchmaking algorithm to match with other players who have the DLC is utterly broken, or no one actually owns the DLC. I refuse to play these paltry on-disc maps over and over again. I can only play Adrift, Abandon, Haven, Solace and Shutout so many times in a row before the lack of variety akin to launch Halo 4 drives me absolutely insane. I can't believe I even bothered buying the Limited version, I swear the maps have popped up in matchmaking outside of the DLC playlists what seems like less than 10 times for me. It seriously feels like a bad joke.

I sat in the matchmaking lobby for like 15 minutes trying to get the DLC maps to show up at least one time, quitting out of the voting lobby if they didn't. Must have been at least 25 times that they didn't. Abandon, Adrift, Solace, Haven, Shutout. The only two tolerable ones for me anymore are Haven and Shutout. Joke-fest-and-a-half. I just want to play the maps I paid for.

Edit: Seriously just make them free 343. I can't honestly believe that anyone is even buying them anymore. Everyone who cared already did. All anyone who owns the packs want is the ability to play them, no one cares if they're free and required at this point. It's just a slap in the face to the fans who actually support the game by purchasing the DLC and playing. Drop the price of Halo 4 to $20, advertise the fuck out of the War Games Pass going free front and centre on the dashboard, and have it lead up perfectly into the launch of the Champions pack at the end of the summer for $10.

Gui_PT

I used to want to spend hours playing now I struggle to play an hour without boredom or frustration ruining the experience

I remember the good old Halo 3 days where I'd spend my time waiting for saturday customs.

Saturday comes and I play with fellow gaffers 'til 6 am.

It was fun.

Fuchsdh

Nice word. Yea thats how I feel, anyone whos honored with the privilege of getting close to 343i has to immediately suck up whatever they are feeding or else they get removed from the "club"

N its just resulted in this idiotic hiveminded shitty Halo we have happening now.

That's bullshit and you know it.

That's bullshit and you know it.

Its not, and I dont.

?

1. Pre-release everyone went and played the game got the t-shirt and raved about how fucking good this game was. How many of those people still are playing this game regularly?

2. Group of ten slrpers get invited to 343i to test TU. Wheres any of our invites?

3. Settings like Infinity/Regicide have terrible results for Halo 4 MP but they are still being shoved down our throats.

If you dont follow the 343vision you get pushed to the side. There might still be some random spot for you in the game or company but ultimately you're no longer included.

Today I did a self-experiment. I did not tell YourExWife or TCKAOS, but I intentionally played Legendary Slayer like a noob. And I have to say. Goddamnit. How do I freakin' hat dislike the Assault Rifle? I mean, it's like a sniper. I got killed from mid-range distance way too often. What the hell? And why is it the only start weapon? It's like 343i tries to please players who will never play Legendary Slayer because they are enjoying Infinity Slayer already. Legendary Slayer should bring back old-like Halo gameplay with fixed weapon spawns etc. But... no... they are no words and I do not think Bravo decided AR starts. Or I hope he wasn't. 343i, let me love Halo. Let me please. (And I'm enjoying infinity slayer to kick some people's asses with high K/Ds. Hell yeah)

I don't really feel like discussing this at the moment because I doubt the conversation will go anywhere, but I completely agree with you.

Fuchsdh

Its not, and I dont.

?

1. Pre-release everyone went and played the game got the t-shirt and raved about how fucking good this game was. How many of those people still are playing this game regularly?

2. Group of ten slrpers get invited to 343i to test TU. Wheres any of our invites?

3. Settings like Infinity/Regicide have terrible results for Halo 4 MP but they are still being shoved down our throats.

If you dont follow the 343vision you get pushed to the side. There might still be some random spot for you in the game or company but ultimately you're no longer included.

Juices, you are the nerd who acts like a jerk and then complains that girls won't date you because you're a nerd. They won't date you because you're a jerk.

And by 'date', I mean hire.

Purplemage

Neo Member
Well on Adrift two shotty's with six shots, one for each team, with a sword in middle seems pretty balanced for me. But lasers get no love in Halo 4 I don't see the big deal with having them on adrift. It might make for some awesome multikills. What would be better to replace them with? Concussion rifles would make this a spiritual successor to Countdown which wouldn't be terrible imo. But I know quite a few hated that map on Reach

Fracas

#fuckonami
Oh and also, wtf happened to Flood? I like messing around in it on occasion, but I kept getting a gametype where humans have ARs and there are power weapons on the map. Railgun and Sticky Det in Zombies? What? And it took 2 hits from an infected to kill, with recharging shields.

I didn't even know you could mess up Infection.

FyreWulff

Oh and also, wtf happened to Flood? I like messing around in it on occasion, but I kept getting a gametype where humans have ARs and there are power weapons on the map. Railgun and Sticky Det in Zombies? What? And it took 2 hits from an infected to kill, with recharging shields.

The settings for that gametype were broken in conversion

Booshka

Legendary Slayer sounds like a hoot.

Power weapons everywhere with too much or too little ammo, no Pistol secondary, Sprint, just too many problems.

Reminds me of Battle Creek in Reach Anniversary with the like 5 different power weapons strewn all over the map. Including Shotguns in each base, 343/Certain Affinity just seem clueless.

Yeah. I'm convinced that either the matchmaking algorithm to match with other players who have the DLC is utterly broken, or no one actually owns the DLC. I refuse to play these paltry on-disc maps over and over again. I can only play Adrift, Abandon, Haven, Solace and Shutout so many times in a row before the lack of variety akin to launch Halo 4 drives me absolutely insane. I can't believe I even bothered buying the Limited version, I swear the maps have popped up in matchmaking outside of the DLC playlists what seems like less than 10 times for me. It seriously feels like a bad joke.

I sat in the matchmaking lobby for like 15 minutes trying to get the DLC maps to show up at least one time, quitting out of the voting lobby if they didn't. Must have been at least 25 times that they didn't. Abandon, Adrift, Solace, Haven, Shutout. The only two tolerable ones for me anymore are Haven and Shutout. Joke-fest-and-a-half. I just want to play the maps I paid for.

Edit: Seriously just make them free 343. I can't honestly believe that anyone is even buying them anymore. Everyone who cared already did. All anyone who owns the packs want is the ability to play them, no one cares if they're free and required at this point. It's just a slap in the face to the fans who actually support the game by purchasing the DLC and playing. Drop the price of Halo 4 to $20, advertise the fuck out of the War Games Pass going free front and centre on the dashboard, and have it lead up perfectly into the launch of the Champions pack at the end of the summer for $10.

I also wonder why I paid all that extra money for the CE, I wanted a steelbook but the rest? seems to be poorly managed.

Map packs going completely ignored and only showing up a small percent of the time, the forward onto dawn code only binds to halo waypoint right? should have been a proper movie download from the marketplace or even on a dvd itself in the CE tin.

Honestly going to go with a regular copy in the future if this is the kind of treatment we will see with DLC.

They added in a new infection choice which is suppose to be more like survival horror and team work, but it's just a super slow mode with shields which do not recharge, one time i've ran around the poorly lit and designed forge map with nothing but woop woop woop in my ears from a low shield.

Also it seems like they changed normal infection to now allow 1 hit zombie kills with a pistol headshot, either that or they threw in a 3rd game type based on the original infection mode.

TCKaos

Legendary Slayer is a colossal failure.

I didn't know it could be this bad.

jSHWoxKJyqnmB.jpg

Madness

I think some are over-emphasizing Quinn's tone . Seems to me he was trying to get the point across that Throwdown was there with BRs as a solid option to ARs in Legendary.

Not that it makes ARs only in Legendary right, but I really don't think he was being a dick about it . Who knows I guess.

Didn't want to say anything but I will. Read the bolded above and then wonder why you were called out on it. You don't know what was said. We can only go by what the person who actually spoke to Quinn said.

So then why interject and then try to not only discredit ihaveice, but act like you know exactly what Quinn meant?

Read your last point, I don't think he was being a dick, but who knows. Well the guy who it was said to, said he felt humiliated. Full stop.

Why'd you back out when we matched, noob?

I wasn't even looking at gamertags, just the maps. I was on a mission to play any DLC maps in any playlist really and I can confidently say now that it is impossible. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. What a waste. It's a shame because I think the DLC maps are quite a bit better than the on-disc maps.

On the upside I lost a game of BTB 2flag on Longbow, but it was a lot of fun. The map really works well for CTF.

Edit: Doesn't help that I'm trying to re-program my brain to play Bumper Jumper again. I played Bumper Jumper in Halo 3, Default in Reach and 4, but now I want to switch, because I'm sick of clawing the B button all the time.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Didn't want to say anything but I will. Read the bolded above and then wonder why you were called out on it. You don't know what was said. We can only go by what the person who actually spoke to Quinn said.

So then why interject and then try to not only discredit ihaveice, but act like you know exactly what Quinn meant?

Read your last point, I don't think he was being a dick, but who knows. Well the guy who it was said to, said he felt humiliated. Full stop.

I was going on the direct quote Ice posted. No intention to discredit him, he wasn't sure the tone either. It's text, it could be either way. I'm over it though, I was willing to give Quinn the benefit of the doubt and not assume he was being a dick based on text that didn't seem that way. So unless Ice didn't post the full thing I thought it was pretty hard to say Quinn, who has yet to show dickish signs, was intentionally crapping on a fan.

I apologize if it's really that big of deal. Damn. My observations are just that, not the means to create some kind of firestorm in here.

GhaleonEB

Its not, and I dont.

?

I can only speak to my own experience. But because I am not entirely sure what you are implying by #1, and I fall into that category, here's a response.

It's hard to judge a game in a small playtest in a controlled environment. And I thought this game made a pretty good first impression. They got the "core" right, and then layed on a ton of stuff that was not so good, to put mildly. But in a limited playlist, it's that "core" that comes across. As with most things, the problems show up later. Even so, if you read my impressions from the time you'll see a list of concerns - global ordnance, custom load outs, perks, abundance of power weapons. All of which played out and proved to be huge issues.

FWIW, I didn't stop getting invited to community events because 343 took me off the list. I took myself off the list by withdrawing from the community. That said, 343 welcomed criticism in all my interactions with them. And I was a pretty critical guy going into the events I did attend. I was told point blank that they wanted a full spectrum of feedback - not just, as you put it, srprs. And I gave it to them.

The bottom line: if you are a critical fan and frame your criticism constructively, 343 is all ears. If you are a player who offers valid criticism wrapped in the shape of a dick you wag in their face, they might not invite you over to dinner.

Ramirez

Doesn't matter how you present the criticism, they're not gonna change their path. The new perks are all the evidence you need of that. Legendary slayer could be great, but you know, ARs. I really thought the AR argument would never have to be talked about again, I hate being wrong.

I was unaware you presented criticism. I wish I had been able to attend events and discuss with them because I would like to do that too. I wonder though did any criticism any of you reading this presented to 343i, did they change or acknowledge that criticism through any game change? Cause its easy to say yea "let us know the bad parts too" but if they arent doing anything about that information, then its just useless chatter.

I'm sorry but I've been here since Halo 3 shouting the correct path. Noone wants to listen, and here we have Halo 4.

I was unaware you presented criticism. I wish I had been able to attend events and discuss with them because I would like to do that too. I wonder though did any criticism any of you reading this presented to 343i, did they change or acknowledge that criticism through any game change? Cause its easy to say yea "let us know the bad parts too" but if they arent doing anything about that information, then its just useless chatter.

I'm sorry but I've been here since Halo 3 shouting the correct path. Noone wants to listen, and here we have Halo 4.

I think what Ghaleon is trying to say is that it's all in how you market yourself and present a subject. If I ran a meeting and shat on everyone of my employees, they wouldn't give a crap about what I said, only how I said it.

If you motivate them to do it in a warm, welcoming manner - and make them feel like they have ownership over the process too - you have a winning combo. Saying 'hire juices' is show-boating that you will solve their problems. You may be able to do that, but telling them to their face that you think their work is the sole reason for their failure only makes them not want to be around you, and not listen to you. You have more than a few posts where you are well worded, succinct and respectful, but this 'hire juices' rant is at best a mockery that will only turn them away from you.

Continuing to admire hard work, earnestly suggesting and trying to help others have a good experience will be what turns them on to the fact that you have great ideas for implementing into the user experience.

Madness

All 343 needs to do is look at the Halo 5 wishlist thread to see what the gamut of Halo fans on NeoGAF want. Lot of good points in that thread.

Guys, people have been providing excellent/respectful criticism as to what works and what doesn't work in Halo since its existence, but look at where we are today. It most certainly does feel like useless chatter, that's for damn sure. I can't tell you how long people begged for a single shot, precision weapon to return to Halo, but it wasn't until Reach that we got the DMR (with a 3x scope and bloom lol, 6 years later..).

As much as I want to cut Halo devs slack for my greater love of this franchise, I just can't. The poor management is truly mind-boggling.

Blueblur1

Ghaleon and Williams are right.

In regards to the slurpers comment, they just appreciate fans that like what they do and aren't totally negative. I doubt those people are sucking up 24/7 but it doesn't hurt to be absolutely positive about their work and dispense minor minor criticisms. That's what I've observed.

It would be nice if they really listened and responded to negative fan feedback though. Often times it has felt like voicing our concerns have been for naught because they continue to do things that contradict fan requests. For Christ's sake, they're adding more Perks to the game and have now "blessed" Halo 4 with AR starts. As far as I can tell, 343 Industries doesn't care what their fans what. They only care about serving what they want which is a sub-par Halo experience, IMO.

One a good team gets set up with a few BR's and a snipe in legendary slayer it really fucking sucks.

Dude, this is why we've been arguing for years that AR starts is just bad settings.

It should always be AR/BR start by default. So you can have a proper weapon off spawn for distance and close range.

Madness

Dude, this is why we've been arguing for years that AR starts is just bad settings.

It should always be AR/BR start by default. So you can have a proper weapon off spawn for distance and close range.

If they just made pistol better, along with faster movement speed and strafe, I'd be okay with AR/Pistol starts. As it sits right now as soon as more than 2 people on other team get BR or longer range rifle, you're pretty much going to get donged on for a few easy kills.

I'd rather just have BR only starts, why even give AR, especially this beefed up version.

Juices I know you like Reach, what would you have thought about, if the DMR didn't have bloom and was only 2x scope?

Computer

This game just cant be fixed. I get excited every time they try something new then quickly become disappointed. I really believe that most the issues in the game stem from sprint and complete shit maps that were all designed for infinity slayer.

If they just made pistol better, along with faster movement speed and strafe, I'd be okay with AR/Pistol starts. As it sits right now as soon as more than 2 people on other team get BR or longer range rifle, you're pretty much going to get donged on for a few easy kills.

I'd rather just have BR only starts, why even give AR, especially this beefed up version.

Juices I know you like Reach, what would you have thought about, if the DMR didn't have bloom and was only 2x scope?

You give BR + AR so it accomadates the three types of players. Hard headed idiot Juices who will only use the BR, Bad kids like Syphon Filter who want AR. N the Savant Halo players who use both equally perfectly for each situation.

I had no problems with the DMR. I would have tried a DMR with 2x scope and no bloom, but no bloom really does mess with the rest of the weapons as it instantly becomes super OP. I just wish the lower bloom was made universal and nades were nerfed a small bit during the time we played Reach. That woulda made the game so much more to my liking.

Booshka

This game just cant be fixed. I get excited every time they try something new then quickly become disappointed. I really believe that most the issues in the game stem from sprint and complete shit maps that were all designed for infinity slayer.

If Throwdown ever takes out Sprint then that will the best you could ever do with Halo 4 MP. I'd probably start playing it a good amount if it didn't have Sprint. I like just about everything else about the playlist, but Sprinting everywhere just bugs me.

You give BR + AR so it accomadates the three types of players. Hard headed idiot Juices who will only use the BR, Bad kids like Syphon Filter who want AR. N the Savant Halo players who use both equally perfectly for each situation.

I had no problems with the DMR. I would have tried a DMR with 2x scope and no bloom, but no bloom really does mess with the rest of the weapons as it instantly becomes super OP. I just wish the lower bloom was made universal and nades were nerfed a small bit during the time we played Reach. That woulda made the game so much more to my liking.

Lower the aim assist in all regards (reticle stickiness, bullet magnetism, etc.) and suddenly it's not so OP. Bloom is a terrible mechanic in Halo.

Fracas

#fuckonami
After the update, I feel the DMR is totally useless. It's outclassed in pretty much any situation. Haven't used it at all since June.

blamite

Legendary Slayer on Lockout is really damn good when you have a headshot weapon, and shitty as hell when you don't.

Hey 343, add Pistol secondaries and a BR gametype, and fix the shitty weapon spawns on te rest of the maps, and I'll start playing the game again. Or don't, whatever.

Top Bottom