• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

GhaleonEB

I was unaware you presented criticism. I wish I had been able to attend events and discuss with them because I would like to do that too. I wonder though did any criticism any of you reading this presented to 343i, did they change or acknowledge that criticism through any game change? Cause its easy to say yea "let us know the bad parts too" but if they arent doing anything about that information, then its just useless chatter.

I'm sorry but I've been here since Halo 3 shouting the correct path. Noone wants to listen, and here we have Halo 4.

I feel like a bit of an explanation is in order, so apologies in advance for the long response. Over the years and events I've been fortunate to be invited to, I've had a lot of conversations with 343 (and before, Bungie) folks. But I've always felt that I shouldn't post much about those conversations because they were 1:1 discussions and I felt I would be violating some kind of trust if I took to 'reporting' on those talks online. I didn't want people to talk to me thinking I was trying to catch them out or get some scoop. Really, I just wanted to be there and talk with people who made the games, and I always felt crazy lucky to be able to do so. And it turns out, they wanted to talk with fans. A LOT of the Bungie and 343 people at the community events were not required to be there - they came because they wanted to hang with, and hear from, the community, on their own time.

There were times and places for interviews and I wasn't conducting any, so I've always held what was said at those events and in those conversations in confidence.

So there's really no way you could have known what I said - I never really posted about it. I went, and then talked about impressions on the games, and left it at that.

To summarize my experience from one event, at the PAX 2012 community party, I talked with a few of the 343 developers. I remember specifically saying I was worried about the plasma pistol included in load outs in BTB, and how it seemed like they were reacting to balance issues by creating other balance issues, such as the perk that reduced the EMP effect on vehicles. My preferred solution was to not put the PP in the loadout - and then remove the perk. We talked about other things, like global ordnance and the 3x scope on the DMR, and the return of the jet pack.

While I was offering input, I realized from the conversations that I wasn't saying anything they hadn't debated about internally at 343. They just felt strongly about the vision they had for the game and wanted to see it through. My thoughts were welcome - but they felt they had been addressed, or otherwise felt strongly enough about their vision for the game that they simply disagreed.

So I do think they were listening - but they didn't necessarily agree with me. I sure wish they did, though. :)

At another event focused on Forge (the week before launch, HBO and other sites reported on it) prior to launch, I'd say about 1/3 of the conversation was critical to negative. The attendees were disappointed in the lack of precision editing, the lack of flexible open space to craft Sandbox-style maps, and the reused Forge World pieces. In the case of Forge, it was too late to add in UI elements like precision editing. But some of the designers built and released that Forge map for free some months later, which was built on their own free time, because they realized and agreed with fan criticism about the lack of Forgable spaces. And they could do something about that.

I think there's a kind of reverse confirmation bias when it comes to managing a game like Halo. In nearly every update, I've seen people on HaloGAF cheer a number of the changes. But that's mixed with dismay at other changes, or ones not made; the same ones people in other communities might be rejoicing over. (Which is not to say some things are not inexplicable.)

On the whole, I've been pretty disappointed in what I've seen from 343's handling of the game since I stopped playing it. The addition of new perks strikes me as really alarming, especially when it comes to implications for Halo 5. (Edit: and the handling of power weapons and spare weapons on the map, for that matter.) My own take is, they don't ignore feedback that perks are bad, so much as disagree with it.

I tend to agree with nearly all of your critiques of the franchise, BTW. (Just not always the delivery.) I got so exasperated I simply gave the game away and walked away from the franchise in dismay. My sense is, a lot of people are doing the same. At this point I'm not sure what else we can do. 343 is making a game that I'm not interested in.

(As a side note, I regret the whole dick wagging reference in my previous reply. I was going for colorful/funny but I think ended up with the kind of ugliness I generally try to avoid. Sorry.)

Blueblur1

Its a sad state of affairs, honestly. While this is far from the worst scenario that could have played out in regards to the passing of the baton that is the Halo franchise, it is definitely undesirable. I'm sure they have good intentions in mind but the wrong people are making the wrong decisions at 343 Industries.

Dick wagging confirmed!

Nice post Ghal. For the GAF record, I expressed concerns about the global ordnance system at PAX and I feel I was met with the same response as you stated, they welcomed the feedback, but at the end of the day they simply disagreed with my views on the subject.

Even though I can't help but get wrapped up in discussions here, especially about a few decisions lately that I find particularly head scratching, I've come to terms with the fact that 343 and my idea for Halo are two very different things.

Unless Juices saves it! :p

After the update, I feel the DMR is totally useless. It's outclassed in pretty much any situation. Haven't used it at all since June.

It really has me hoping they get rid of it. It's such a bizarre sandbox decision to have nearly every weapon role occupied by one weapon from each faction (save for the Sword / Hammer overlap) and then suddenly HURR DMR BR. Especially now that we have the Carbine and the Light Rifle as totally viable threats.

Thanks for that Ghaleon. Yea thats actually what I feel is going down. They are just sort of listening to criticism yet carrying on with their vision regardless. If they come across criticism that could add value but not change their vision I think they take a look at it and decide if its worth pursuing.

But yes everyone get that #hirejuices out. I'm a get this game back on the right track.

Tawpgun

In a month

"After getting some feedback it seems people do not like legendary slayer and the old school halo gameplay. So we're introducing Super Infinity Slayer. Where ordnance times are cut in half! More weapons, more fun!"

Botching legendary slayer was all part of the plan.

But seriously how do you fuck up something so simple.

I need to vent about Loadouts, Instant Respawn, Ordnances, Huge Asymmetrical Maps, Sprint, AA's, and Specializations.

Had conversation about how these break traditional Halo.

A friend said they bring the randomness to Halo like Real Life Modern Warfare.

I was dumbfounded. Replied back saying those features that introduces little to no balance into Halo. Which rids the Arena Shooter and becoming more of an Arcade Shooter (CoD).

Its very simple to know this about Halo if you're a veteran to Arena Shooters. Yet when a team with mixed experiences tries to move forward with their vision in "Evolving" Halo MP, automatically fans are worried or blinded by "Trust Us".

I've seen & heard more replies from Bravo than Kevin regards to Q/A's about Halo 4 MP. At least progress is being made.

I just really do hope Next Halo XB1 will revive the fans to the franchise.

PNut

Banned
After the update, I feel the DMR is totally useless. It's outclassed in pretty much any situation. Haven't used it at all since June.

DMR is still best for BTB. It's hilarious shitting on kids using BR's on Longbow and all the other big maps.

Legendary Slayer has potential going forward. Throw in some BR starts and some good forge maps and you've got something great. It was nice to see weapons laying around on maps with no markers again too. Didn't have to worry about kids with random OS, damage boost, jetpack, or inviz either.

THE ROCKET LAUNCHER ON HAVEN HAS 6 ROCKETS. HAHAHAHA

Fracas

#fuckonami
Today I discovered a host worse than the Franklinaut host. Prior to today I would have that that impossible.
I knew you'd come crawling back.
DMR is still best for BTB. It's hilarious shitting on kids using BR's on Longbow and all the other big maps.

Legendary Slayer has potential going forward. Throw in some BR starts and some good forge maps and you've got something great. It was nice to see weapons laying around on maps with no markers again too. Didn't have to worry about kids with random OS, damage boost, jetpack, or inviz either.

THE ROCKET LAUNCHER ON HAVEN HAS 6 ROCKETS. HAHAHAHA

Lightrifle all day. Fastest kill time, so good. In short distance engagements, DMR is better though.

Sai-kun

Banned
I remember (super nervously) introducing myself to Lars @ Pax12 while waiting in line with Ghaleon and he was like "oh you're the one with all the gifs of that lady"

yes lars

yes that's me

best day ever

Fracas

#fuckonami
Did I do something wrong for assasinated someone?

That last CTF was somewhat frustrating, I swear they were shooting faster than me.

The killcams showed them firing really fast DMRs, but I figured it was just the game messing up. It did seem that way though

GhaleonEB

I remember (super nervously) introducing myself to Lars @ Pax12 while waiting in line with Ghaleon and he was like "oh you're the one with all the gifs of that lady"

yes lars

yes that's me

best day ever

Lars is seriously one of the nicest people I've ever met.

So I just played 13 or so Championship games. Rage inducing. Seriously.

Then me n booties played two legendary slayer games, and that was enough for me. No fun at all, seriously. Fuck ARs. At one point I had the first AR shots never trailed off the dudes body n he won the battle. I had full shields at the beginning, no nades were involved and no other players were involved. I shot first didnt miss and he caught up and killed me.

So theres that.

Legendarily BAD playlist. Fuck whoever created that. Fuck you, you are shitty at Halo and dont know anything about this game.

I feel like I just lost a year of my life from shitty gaming.

Booties

Banned
So I just played 13 or so Championship games. Rage inducing. Seriously.

Then me n booties played two legendary slayer games, and that was enough for me. No fun at all, seriously. Fuck ARs. At one point I had the first AR shots never trailed off the dudes body n he won the battle. I had full shields at the beginning, no nades were involved and no other players were involved. I shot first didnt miss and he caught up and killed me.

So theres that.

Legendarily BAD playlist. Fuck whoever created that. Fuck you, you are shitty at Halo and dont know anything about this game.

I feel like I just lost a year of my life from shitty gaming.

You can see how well you are doing if you click the contest link at the top of the page on halo.xbox.com

Omni

Are the Kilo-Five books any good? I really enjoyed Ghosts of Onyx, and I understand that they are a sequel of sorts, right?

Absolutely not. Traviss is the worst thing to happen to the Halo universe (Glasslands is so bad. All it consists of is 400 pages of "Halsey is Stalin" and a bunch of terribly developed characters bitching about her for no reason - all while they blatantly ignore the fact that the SIII program was worse. [Traviss said in an interview that she wanted readers to make up their own minds about it all... LOL righteo]). You'll be severely disappointed if you're expecting a real sequel to GoO too - that arc takes up less than a quarter of the book and I could summarise it in a single sentence if I really wanted to. Not to mention that other changes to canon are annoying ([you'll already know this if you played Halo 4... so it'll probably soften the impact] namely parts about the elite segregation).

But I guess that's what you get when you hire someone who openly admits that she didn't read up on the universe and kept outside info to a minimum before writing the book.

If you're really interested, read the plot overview on Halo pedia. Definitely not worth buying.

TheOddOne

I still use it, but yeah it's less effective.

One thing I did notice about the DMR nerf is that there is a lot more movement from players around the maps. Which makes me happy, because it means less campers.

Booties

Banned
14 games. 6.85. (actually played 15 games, guess its 1 behind)

I'm super rusty.

1/3/1/3/2/1/2/3/1/2/7/3/3/5/1

Still awake. Played my 20th and won. My 21st? Not so much. 6.25, 1,710th place. Some kid with a plasma repeater beat my BR (tied actually, mutual kill) and won by 12. How is that possible? People b cheatin!

Still awake. Played my 20th and won. My 21st? Not so much. 6.25, 1,710th place. Some kid with a plasma repeater beat my BR (tied actually, mutual kill) and won by 12. How is that possible? People b cheatin!

Some dude tore me up with the plasma repeater too! Like I died reallly fast but it was during a burst of lag so it was like super fast to the point it didnt make sense.

Enable is 14-0 or 15-0 with all 1sts ATM. http://www.twitch.tv/enable he just got a trocity and then it went to a frenzy lol

IHaveIce

Banned
Ok the leaderboards are weird. Lots of people with 20 games and 20 wins are above Formal who played about 91 games and won 87 ...

Ok the leaderboards are weird. Lots of people with 20 games and 20 wins are above Formal who played about 91 games and won 87 ...

Its based on the average score. If you lose one game you cant be an 8. So yea they would be above Formal.

Anyways. These pros all in enables chat saying they are just getting a bunch of accounts to an 8 for the next round lol.

IHaveIce

Banned
Its based on the average score. If you lose one game you cant be an 8. So yea they would be above Formal.

Anyways. These pros all in enables chat saying they are just getting a bunch of accounts to an 8 for the next round lol.
Yeah I know but just thinking someone who has that many wins deserves it more but well Formal will probably get an invite by 343 no matter what happens.

Lol yeah but just shows how many beasts are online.

Booshka

Treating the playlist like a Roguelike, once you lose a game or two you just make a new account and start over. And you have to pay for XBL Gold, so it's like a sleazy Korean MMO. It's amazing how pathetically desperate some people are to win at meaningless shit.

It looks like it goes Avg Score then games won.

You get three games erased? Does that mean my 7 and 5th place will go away if I play 23?

IHaveIce

Banned
Treating the playlist like a Roguelike, once you lose a game or two you just make a new account and start over. And you have to pay for XBL Gold, so it's like a sleazy Korean MMO. It's amazing how pathetically desperate some people are to win at meaningless shit.
Well the chance of 200k$ probably isn't meaningless to them

*Opens thread
*Checks to see if there are any rumblings of Halo 2 Anniversary
*There's not
*Realize I'm still stuck with 343's version of Halo for the foreseeable future
*Leaves thread*

willow ve

This tourney is broken. Sorry... This "tourney" is broken.

Omni

and play unbalanced cod-halo at 60 fps on your Xbox one.

dAtcCfH.gif

The tournament should look at medals earned, time of each match and deaths and work out a score from those or something, based solely on wins means that those top players can not sit on their wins all week while someone with one mistake now has no chance. It's rather flawed and for a tournament working it's way up to 200k prize money, more thought should have gone into it.

A lot of top halo players seem to hate the format for what I can gather watching streams.

The championship gametype its kinda good with those modified ordinaces, bring me memories of halo 3 lone wolves.

Grenade ordinance is something I actually like, you can keep it until the time is right and grenades are not as OP as most of the super weapons, dropping some nades has saved my butt a few times yesterday.

yes lars

yes that's me

best day ever
Wait! That weren't the first words I said to you. And we didn't meet while you were waiting in line with Ghaleon! ;p

Gui_PT

I'd be scared of standing near a german with anger management issues

E:Oh crap, top of page

Legendary Slayer is the best thing that ever happened to Halo

Top Bottom