• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I had a friend preach me to me about how Reach was the best thing ever, today, and how they hated Halo 3 (they tried it during its Games with Gold run). I, of course, proceeded to publicly humiliate them (in front of people who probably don't know what Halo is) and am angry. Someone's getting coal in their stocking.

They tried arguing with me that Halo Reach didn't have any elements of CoD and bashed H3 for not having sprint. What is wrong with kids these days?
Keep that shit on the internet, apologize to your friend.

Dang, that's pretty stark. Seriously, what the fuck is happening in the fourth panel? I see a sword, a wonky hand, and a bunch of half-assed bullshit. I expect more from a professional. #hiredaedalilililius

< insert Halo 4 joke here >

Or the second panel, where the spartan is bigger than a glacier? Or is he staring down a hole? wtf.

Like, the pseudo-static stuff from the Spartan Assault cutscenes is better. Where's the flare? The "halo"-ness? :(

A Callabruty Dogedact.
wow.

such didact.

very cod.

much fang

blamite

9e6GNcMm.jpg

Is this thing a Didact, a Brute, or a Calladuty Ghost?

Can 343 please just fucking stop redesigning Bungie's aliens?

"...As for the constantly changing multiplayer, it's gametypes are usually quite fun. However, when I play online, game are often fraught with lag, and I am frazzled by the teleporting enemies, but often this is second hand and doesn't interfere too much. However, because of such persisting problems, as well as the less than Halo worthy story, this game's post annual score from me is a 7.75."
But IGN said...
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/halo_4/b/user_reviews/archive/2013/12/04/after-the-fact-halo-4.aspx

Madness

If Kevin Grace is Franchise Manager at 343, what are his job duties compared to Frank, who is the Franchise Development Director?

Tzeentch

Panel 1: Retro 1980s comic art. Kids are all about nostalgia these days.
Panel 2: Giant Spartan peers over the mountain range ready to smash the puny Covenant.
Panel 3: Palmer confirmed sexytime with elite. One night stand fuels her bitterness in Halo 4.
Panel 4: Mysterious reflection in visor has absolutely nothing to with anything. Is it her fears made manifest? New ARG confirmed.

But seriously. Where's the real comic?

daedalius

Dang, that's pretty stark. Seriously, what the fuck is happening in the fourth panel? I see a sword, a wonky hand, and a bunch of half-assed bullshit. I expect more from a professional. #hiredaedalilililius

I'd totally illustrate halo comics, too bad I'm terrible at comics in general though.

Haven't actually tried them in quite a while.

But stylistically that comic preview isn't something I'd be into. Is that supposed to be her butt to the left of the hand/energy sword? They should have looked at the Starcraft Kerrigan comic.

That Brute redesign has been around for quite some time, but outrage.

Fuchsdh

The art style is a bit retro, but that's not a bad thing (issues with muddy art is though.) I'll take clean lines and simple colors above "overdone" comics any day.

As for comics in general, the style is still nicer than a heap of stuff with got in the Halo Graphic Novel, and is pretty in-line with some of the other comics (namely Blood Line, although that had a more 2000s digital coloring sheen on top.)

The only full-length comic we've gotten with decent art was Uprising, IMO, and even there it wasn't spectacular. (I guess the Fall of Reach series would be a close second but there it went too gritty and tough to read for me.)

Hopefully Escalation steps it up a notch in later issues (although did I miss how long the series is supposed to be?)

Rush Slayer is a recreation of the brand new mode Cranked first appearing in the CoD: Ghosts franchise. Best of two franchises brought together to ensure crazy shenanigans happen on the battlefield.

On Rush Slayer each player’s GEN2 Mjolnir powered assault armor is set to self-destruct if its internal clock hits zero. In order to avoid this players must get kills, resetting the internal clock.

Each kill grants the killer a momentary set of traits (default: 5 seconds), boosting the player effectiveness on the battlefield.

These are the default settings I came up with, you CAN and SHOULD make ones of your own, to better reflect your preferences.

Kill traits: 110% shield recharge speed,110% speed, 110% jump height, infinite ammo.

Last Breath Traits: navpoint visible to everybody.

Rush Slayer options:

- Bomb timer
- Last breath countdown
- Kill traits duration
- Detonation type
- Kill bonus
- Death bonus
- Assist bonus
- Betrayal bonus
- Suicide bonus
- Assassination bonus
- Headshot bonus
- Pummel bonus
- Grave bonus
- Revenge bonus

Things you may want to know:

A detonation will ALWAYS result in the player death, however you can choose the effect it’ll have on other players (enemies or not). EMP will paralyze vehicles and drain shields while lethal will destroy everything near the explosion, vehicles included.

You can choose for how long kill traits will be applied to each player, you can also opt to not apply them at all.

Players whose timer is about the hit zero can receive additional Last Breath Traits.

Download links

http://www.halowaypoint.com/es-es/g.../details/60402f9d-b730-4c61-b00e-d02f2b943811

wwm0nkey

Rush Slayer is a recreation of the brand new mode Cranked first appearing in the CoD: Ghosts franchise. Best of two franchises brought together to ensure crazy shenanigans happen on the battlefield.

On Rush Slayer each player’s GEN2 Mjolnir powered assault armor is set to self-destruct if its internal clock hits zero. In order to avoid this players must get kills, resetting the internal clock.

Each kill grants the killer a momentary set of traits (default: 5 seconds), boosting the player effectiveness on the battlefield.

These are the default settings I came up with, you CAN and SHOULD make ones of your own, to better reflect your preferences.

Rush Slayer options:

A detonation will ALWAYS result in the player death, however you can choose the effect it’ll have on other players (enemies or not). EMP will paralyze vehicles and drain shields while lethal will destroy everything near the explosion, vehicles included.

You can choose for how long kill traits will be applied to each player, you can also opt to not apply them at all.

Players whose timer is about the hit zero can receive additional Last Breath Traits.

Download links

http://www.halowaypoint.com/es-es/g.../details/60402f9d-b730-4c61-b00e-d02f2b943811
Holy shit! This is pretty crazy.

Rush Slayer options:

Download links

Very nice indeed, thank you. Also that screenshot is beast!

Edit: the tag on that file LMAO

Rush Slayer options:

Download links

This better be played in customs this weekend.

Oh yeah, I should be on for customs this weekend, by the way. I've got so much homework/essays/studying to do that I think Halo is going to be my only break all weekend. I am disappoint.

Mix

what the fuck is that thing...
Seriously, we need something on the next Halo game before this thread gets closed again.

Fuchsdh

343 please hire/contract out modders and implement in game thanks.
It'd be great if they had a place modders could show off what they've done so it could be easily appraised for integration into the game.

Also, how awesome would it be if you could one-click download all the dev-approved custom gametypes and minigames? No huntin and pecking for the top stuff.

There shall be much Gabo at customs, worry not.

Tawpgun

It'd be great if they had a place modders could show off what they've done so it could be easily appraised for integration into the game.

Also, how awesome would it be if you could one-click download all the dev-approved custom gametypes and minigames? No huntin and pecking for the top stuff.

There shall be much Gabo at customs, worry not.

They really need to bring Halo multiplayer into a new age. Halo 2 innovated the entire online landscape. Halo 3 brought its suite of content creation tools. Reach... well all those crazy megalo/insane gametypes were cool.

Halo 4 went backwards on all of this, mainly because the team was inexperienced and rushed. Now they don't have an excuse.

A custom game browser is ideal, but if they can't do that they need to give more power to the players in creating maps and gametypes. Something like giving players more powerful tools to create content would be a huge step for the franchise. Give them full access to Megalo, maybe an actual map creator too.Let whoever is talented enough make some mods and give them free reign to test them in the game. Create some kind of space within the game to let players in the public test each others creations, maybe have a rating system too. The most popular ones will bubble to the top. Then have the dev's run them through some QA testing and push them out into matchmaking.

If Halo 5 goes back to the featureset of Reach that will be disappointing. They should go above that now, especially being on a new console.

Fuchsdh

They really need to bring Halo multiplayer into a new age. Halo 2 innovated the entire online landscape. Halo 3 brought its suite of content creation tools. Reach... well all those crazy megalo/insane gametypes were cool.

Halo 4 went backwards on all of this, mainly because the team was inexperienced and rushed. Now they don't have an excuse.

A custom game browser is ideal, but if they can't do that they need to give more power to the players in creating maps and gametypes. Something like giving players more powerful tools to create content would be a huge step for the franchise. Give them full access to Megalo, maybe an actual map creator too.Let whoever is talented enough make some mods and give them free reign to test them in the game. Create some kind of space within the game to let players in the public test each others creations, maybe have a rating system too. The most popular ones will bubble to the top. Then have the dev's run them through some QA testing and push them out into matchmaking.

If Halo 5 goes back to the featureset of Reach that will be disappointing. They should go above that now, especially being on a new console.

After talking with Petetheduck I'm pretty swayed by his argument that Forge fundamentally works, and the best changes would be things like the ability to place real illumination (so that interior maps aren't blah), dynamic objects, and basic terrain pieces rather than a full map editor a la FarCry--the simplicity of Forge should e considered a plus, not a detriment. What *does* matter more in getting people to use the tools is the sorts of changes to visibility and the gametype/map split. Creating a true ecosystem for custom content is key.

On the subject of map editing though, I think any terrain deformation should be grid-based like Forge pieces.

Tawpgun

After talking with Petetheduck I'm pretty swayed by his argument that Forge fundamentally works, and the best changes would be things like the ability to place real illumination (so that interior maps aren't blah), dynamic objects, and basic terrain pieces rather than a full map editor a la FarCry--the simplicity of Forge should e considered a plus, not a detriment. What *does* matter more in getting people to use the tools is the sorts of changes to visibility and the gametype/map split. Creating a true ecosystem for custom content is key.

On the subject of map editing though, I think any terrain deformation should be grid-based like Forge pieces.

Keep forge.

But release a map maker also. Perhaps charge for it too if need be. There are some talented people there that would pay for it.

Nebula

I just want halo 5 to be fun.

On a different note, did anyone get starbound?

Yeah but I can't play it (XP users can't load it/get past the Chucklefish splash screen)

They said they were working on a fix. I wasn't exactly expecting to play it anyway but I saw a 4 pack and bought it for me and some friends for when my PC gets to me.

Fuchsdh

Yeah but I can't play it (XP users can't load it/get past the Chucklefish splash screen)

They said they were working on a fix. I wasn't exactly expecting to play it anyway but I saw a 4 pack and bought it for me and some friends for when my PC gets to me.
You do realize XP loses all support in a few months, right? I bet on that day a whole bunch of exploits pop out to screw your OS up. You need to upgrade.

Edit: ah, sorry, misunderstood what you were referring to at the end.

Nebula

You do realize XP loses all support in a few months, right? I bet on that day a whole bunch of exploits pop out to screw your OS up. You need to upgrade.

Thanks for telling me though.

gAg CruSh3r

Keep forge.

But release a map maker also. Perhaps charge for it too if need be. There are some talented people there that would pay for it.

I would pay for it in a heart beat. Forge is heading in the right direction as for items.

I personally would like to see more nature items such as grass blocks (Such as 4x4 short grass), bushes (small and large), and more tree and rock verities. But why stop there? I would also like to see more lighting (balls? Like 12 or more that are much more brighter), maybe actual switches that work for doors, bridges, and teleporters, and for the love god a bigger budget with items and Forge money to make our maps how we wanted them.

I think it would be cool if they could just script the gametypes in the iteration of Kodu that Project Spark uses and let users dig into that to make their own gametypes.
It is fairly accessible and powerful.

haloes_1.jpg

This looks... nineties, to say the least.

Looks like darkhorse works with those coloring and lazy works on details

did they upgraded Palmer ass to be more sex appeal? (since she didnt have that bubble butt before unlike Kat)

They are actually releasing that resistor perk? Lol. I mean, when the game is dead, might as well just do whatever you want.

There is an achievement tied to that perk so I am surprised they took this long time to release it alone.

IHaveIce

Banned

Well I disagree strongly with this. Forge is not simple but great, it is bbehind the times and simple/ things are fucked up.

Though I agree the visbility and getting new stuff should be easier(custom game browser)

And options to alter everything.. every small thing almost like modding it( things that would break the performance excluded)

Are you serious 343!? Are you!??

Commando Helmet Unlock

Studies have shown that sweet headgear can lead to bigger and better victories on the virtual battlefield, so we&#8217;re offering a one-day-only giveaway for the Commando helmet on 343 Day. To unlock the helmet, just complete one match of Halo 4 War Games or Spartan Ops Matchmaking. Similar to the Guilty Spark emblem unlock, we&#8217;ll gather the data for all players who participate, and award the helmet within the next few days. If you&#8217;d like to get your hands on this stylish noggin protector and haven&#8217;t had the chance to unlock it through the Dominion Victory Commendation, be sure to hop into Matchmaking this coming Monday. Note that the full Commando armor set can only be unlocked by completing the Dominion Victory Commendation, so those of you who have successfully grinded over the past 10 days will continue to be some of the few to achieve and own this set. If you&#8217;re hoping to unlock the full armor set, there&#8217;s still time - head into Matchmaking this week to catch the last few days of Dominion&#8217;s rotation as our featured playlist.

Why you dont release the Locust helmet instead.

But Commando is better.

It really annoys me just that, I had to endure playing the same map more than 100 times for the set without counting lags pikes, horrible teammates, Horrible JiP, being destroyed at the beggining of the match and now they just giving it to everyone for just one match of Spartan Ops.

FYC

Banned
This better be played in customs this weekend.

Oh yeah, I should be on for customs this weekend, by the way. I've got so much homework/essays/studying to do that I think Halo is going to be my only break all weekend. I am disappoint.

Indeed. Sounds very fun.

What's this?

Alison Stroll. Her Step Mother passed away. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/04/anne-stroll-illinois_n_4384767.html

Terrible stuff. I'm so sorry, Alison. Best wishes.

Are you serious 343!? Are you!??

Why you dont release the Locust helmet instead.

It really annoys me just that, I had to endure playing the same map more than 100 times for the set without counting lags pikes, horrible teammates, Horrible JiP, being destroyed at the beggining of the match and now they just giving it to everyone for just one match of Spartan Ops.

Well look at the stuff that was supposed to be unique to the LE. 343 is trying to patch the MAC-round sized hole that they put into the franchise by offering cosmetic things.

ElRenoRaven

Alison Stroll, she's a senior producer at 343, her stepmother went for a bike ride and never returned and was reported missing. Cops found her body a few days later.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/04/anne-stroll-illinois_n_4384767.html?utm_hp_ref=chicago

Edit: sorry, already answered.

Holyshit. My heat goes out to her family. That had to be the worst time of their lives not knowing what happened to her stepmother. Then after they found her to find out what they think it was. Damn that has to be devastating.

Fuchsdh

Aside from the more substantial Forge improvements that could be made, allowing multiple tilesets and simply reskinning pieces with a natural theme would solve the monotony aspects we've all had, even if you could only choose say, a combination of one terrain tileset and one structure tileset per map, sort of like how the old StarCraft editors worked.

So want a classic Halo environment? Pick Forerunner structure tileset x Grass.

Recreate Sidewinder? Forerunner x Snow (x Night, if we really wanted to go crazy and have even two options for day/night).

Covenant mining facility? Covenant x Rock.

Three tilesets for each faction and maybe five or so for terrain (grass, rock, snow, sand, asphalt?) and you've blown the amount of possible variety out of the water and enabled Forgers to create far more naturalistic settings, and that's just by essentially reskinning pieces (though obviously there's a lot more work to implementing it than just pasting new textures.) Impact of ability for players to pick up and Forge like they can now? Zero.

Aside from the more substantial Forge improvements that could be made, allowing multiple tilesets and simply reskinning pieces with a natural theme would solve the monotony aspects we've all had, even if you could only choose say, a combination of one terrain tileset and one structure tileset per map, sort of like how the old StarCraft editors worked.

So want a classic Halo environment? Pick Forerunner structure tileset x Grass.

Recreate Sidewinder? Forerunner x Snow (x Night, if we really wanted to go crazy and have even two options for day/night).

Covenant mining facility? Covenant x Rock.

Three tilesets for each faction and maybe five or so for terrain (grass, rock, snow, sand, asphalt?) and you've blown the amount of possible variety out of the water and enabled Forgers to create far more naturalistic settings, and that's just by essentially reskinning pieces (though obviously there's a lot more work to implementing it than just pasting new textures.) Impact of ability for players to pick up and Forge like they can now? Zero.

But if something like this was implemented, 343 would lose out on dat sweet sweet map pack milking.

it would deter many from buying lack lustre DLC in favor of making their own higher caliber maps.

belushy

Banned

Rush Slayer options:

Download links

Awesome Gabo!

Fuchsdh

But if something like this was implemented, 343 would lose out on dat sweet sweet map pack milking.

it would deter many from buying lack lustre DLC in favor of making their own higher caliber maps.
But few people seem to buy DLC anyhow, and a dev-created maps are always going to look nicer and more distinct, so I doubt it would have that much of a deleterious effect. People who buy DLC will keep buying DLC.

What I'm talking about would essentially be Forge maps as they stand, just allowing you to create blocky grass or rock cliffs with greater ease and more flexibility than the natural objects we have now--it doesn't necessarily make the maps that much nicer on their own, just prevents the "everything is grey/everything is white/everything is shadowed" issues we've had since the beginning of Forge. And by restricting palettes it doesn't require as much loading and doesn't fill the Forge menus up.

DLC maps should be free going forward, charging for other things instead. Maybe you get the maps for free, but if you want to Forge on them you have to pay $5 instead of the $10 we're used to for 2-3 maps.

Halo is a franchise large enough that it doesn't need to nickle and dime fans for a couple maps that separates the community, resulting in a decline in population and people not getting their money's worth. We've seen it time and time again with past games, something has to change.

EDIT:
i like this.

but i also like the Halo 3 system. where the maps were actually "Required" to play, meaning the purchase you make isnt wasted because you actually get to play the maps.

This doesn't work either because the population for said playlists declines quickly, leading to poor quality matches and ending in people giving up on the playlists. Then a week or two later the playlists disappear due to low population numbers and we never see the maps again :[

This is another thing that if they haven't learned after years of experience, then they never will. Halo 5 has a lot of things like that; it'll be the true test of 343 as stewards of this franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom