• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
DLC maps should be free going forward, charging for other things instead. Maybe you get the maps for free, but if you want to Forge on them you have to pay $5 instead of the $10 we're used to for 2-3 maps.

Halo is a franchise large enough that it doesn't need to nickle and dime fans for a couple maps that separates the community, resulting in a decline in population and people not getting their money's worth. We've seen it time and time again with past games, something has to change.

i like this.

but i also like the Halo 3 system. where the maps were actually "Required" to play, meaning the purchase you make isnt wasted because you actually get to play the maps.

and it has nothing to do with Halo, but Fuck the Rinzler fight in Kingdom Hearts: 3D.

DLC maps should be free going forward, charging for other things instead. Maybe you get the maps for free, but if you want to Forge on them you have to pay $5 instead of the $10 we're used to for 2-3 maps.

I don't think that's really realistic, since professional maps are pretty expensive to make. I think maybe fewer maps, released individually for a couple bucks but absolutely required for most playlists, might be a better business model. In my mind at least, it's easier to shell out a couple bucks as an impulse buy than to invest in a map pack. And then have discounted season passes for people who play a lot.

But I don't think I would mind at all if they didn't make DLC maps at all if they improved Forge enough and made $$$ of cosmetics... then invest a lot of that in hiring Tashi to head a real and not completely half-assed Crowdsourcing division to harness the community's obvious willingness to create quality content for free.

I don't think that's really realistic, since professional maps are pretty expensive to make. I think maybe fewer maps, released individually for a couple bucks but absolutely required for most playlists, might be a better business model. In my mind at least, it's easier to shell out a couple bucks as an impulse buy than to invest in a map pack. And then have discounted season passes for people who play a lot.

But I don't think I would mind at all if they didn't make DLC maps at all if they improved Forge enough and made $$$ of cosmetics... then invest a lot of that in hiring Tashi to head a real and not completely half-assed Crowdsourcing division to harness the community's obvious willingness to create quality content for free.

Ha ha. Great story, Mark.

Ora

Banned
#HGS

11227617744_930b86e45a_b.jpg

How was Killzone able to pull it off? IDK man, Halo is Microsoft's #1 franchise.. I think they could afford giving out maps for free and charging elsewhere.

Also, they should make an East Coast Halo group to handle all things on this side of the country regarding community interaction and events, etc. I could be at the helm and Tashi could be my Jester.

Ha ha. Great story, Mark.

Mark? I thought his name was Eugn and he was the heir to the throne?

How was Killzone able to pull it off? IDK man, Halo is Microsoft's #1 franchise.. I think they could afford giving out maps for free and charging elsewhere.

Probably because Killzone is new enough releasing maps for free will induce more people to buy the game (and the console), or so they hope. It's not really smart to do that after your population levels off. I'm just speculating, though. Businesses in general only give out "free" things to get you to buy their stuff.

A Prince isn't necessarily an heir to a King, it's just a title that they often give to the next in line to the throne. It's just like a Duke or Count, but instead of ruling over a Duchy or County, they have authority over a Principality.

But I'm jussta chicken cheep cheep cheep cheep

Fuchsdh

Also, they should make an East Coast Halo group to handle all things on this side of the country regarding community interaction and events, etc. I could be at the helm and Tashi could be my Jester.

Killzone is irrelevant compared to Halo. Personally I think it's a joke of a game compared to any of the Halo games from a gameplay/campaign/story standpoint, but regardless it doesn't sell gangbusters. I couldn't find good numbers for the most recent games (which is telling they don't trumpet them) and the site-that-must-not-be-named gave the last PS3 game only around 1.6 mil sold after five months, the worst-selling of the franchise according to them.

Sure, it's a "big" franchise, but it's not in the realm of games like Uncharted or Halo, let alone GTA or COD. Frankly I don't think they have much money to lose by giving away maps for free, especially if they churned out extra during development so it's not a major time sink.

I think aggressive bundling of DLC or DLC going free after X amount of time, with goodies sweetening the deal for those who pay, seem like the best options. I'd rather have that than microtransactions for cosmetic stuff--that should be free and part of the progression system.

In terms of monetization and DLC, however--Going along with my palettes idea, what if you could buy extra tilesets (Halo 3 Forge-style Stonerunner, for instance), effects (Fog! Snow!) and objects after release? If they were playable for everyone but you could only Forge maps using that tileset if you paid, that would seem like something that people would enjoy if it meant more post-release additions to the Forge palette (I doubt we're going to get another Forge Island in the future, and really we shouldn't if they build Forge properly with a large canvas map at launch for the next game.)

I think it would be cool if they could just script the gametypes in the iteration of Kodu that Project Spark uses and let users dig into that to make their own gametypes.
It is fairly accessible and powerful.

This man knows what is up. If they continue with Forge they simply have to straight up get the Project Spark team over to 343i and integrate/develop their feature set. The terrain mapping, the controls mapping, the settings/scripting etc. That or just rip it off (license) lock stock and barrel.

I wouldn't even hesitate at a separate full $60 game for this. 343i could even sell monthly/quarterly/cloud based texture packs and they would get eaten up. Allow Halo fans to make machinima or SPOPS missions with Kinect voice/mocap...I'd like to see Halo move beyond a game to a platform.

So Little Big Planet Halo Edition? They give you the core engine, you pay for textures and objects.

I think this model really works, basically the "player-only" gamers get maps/gametypes/textures/objects for free in game use. They are always required for all game modes or playlists so the population and matching is maximised. As soon as you want to Forge/edit, voiceover, share a clip or anything that isn't just playing the game you pay.

I think that is more than fair for gamers, forgers and developers/publishers.

Killzone is irrelevant compared to Halo. Personally I think it's a joke of a game compared to any of the Halo games from a gameplay/campaign/story standpoint, but regardless it doesn't sell gangbusters. I couldn't find good numbers for the most recent games (which is telling they don't trumpet them) and the site-that-must-not-be-named gave the last PS3 game only around 1.6 mil sold after five months, the worst-selling of the franchise according to them.

Sure, it's a "big" franchise, but it's not in the realm of games like Uncharted or Halo, let alone GTA or COD. Frankly I don't think they have much money to lose by giving away maps for free, especially if they churned out extra during development so it's not a major time sink.

I think aggressive bundling of DLC or DLC going free after X amount of time, with goodies sweetening the deal for those who pay, seem like the best options. I'd rather have that than microtransactions for cosmetic stuff--that should be free and part of the progression system.

In terms of monetization and DLC, however--Going along with my palettes idea, what if you could buy extra tilesets (Halo 3 Forge-style Stonerunner, for instance), effects (Fog! Snow!) and objects after release? If they were playable for everyone but you could only Forge maps using that tileset if you paid, that would seem like something that people would enjoy if it meant more post-release additions to the Forge palette (I doubt we're going to get another Forge Island in the future, and really we shouldn't if they build Forge properly with a large canvas map at launch for the next game.)

Good points all around. I too disagree with microtransactions for cosmetic things because we should be able to unlock everything within the game. Your ideas for Forge are pretty good (palette swaps, etc.) but idk about the charging thing. Essentially, you'd be hurting the people who care about Forging and providing content because I don't think the large majority of people would pay for Forge items.

And plus, why does Halo need microtransactions anyway? Why are we, as players, trying to fit something like that into the next Halo game instead of trying to fight against it? This reminds me of Armor Abilities after Reach and people just assuming 343 would include them again, so they discussed ideas around them. Thankfully this time though, more people are putting their foot down because they realize the detriment is to the overall experience. I just don't want this to become a slippery slope that, knowing Microsoft, could further tarnish the Halo name.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Good points all around. I too disagree with microtransactions for cosmetic things because we should be able to unlock everything within the game. Your ideas for Forge are pretty good (palette swaps, etc.) but idk about the charging thing. Essentially, you'd be hurting the people who care about Forging and providing content because I don't think the large majority of people would pay for Forge items.

And plus, why does Halo need microtransactions anyway? Why are we, as players, trying to fit something like that into the next Halo game instead of trying to fight against it? This reminds me of Armor Abilities after Reach and people just assuming 343 would include them again, so they discussed ideas around them. Thankfully this time though, more people are putting their foot down because they realize the detriment is to the overall experience. I just don't want this to become a slippery slope that, knowing Microsoft, could further tarnish the Halo name.

I think it's because we all know it's coming haha

daedalius

Free maps in exchange for microtransaction cosmetic items? Yes please.

Map packs splintering the playerbase really needs to stop.

Halo 5 needs to release as an incredible package, full of content that'll carry that game for years. Let them worry about nickel and diming people after the game releases with fresh ideas, not going into it with that mentality. AND let's not help them out with ways to ruin our experiences because in reality, I don't see anything good coming from microtransactions that'll actually benefit the community.

Free maps in exchange for microtransaction cosmetic items? Yes please.

Why does it have to be in exchange? This is exactly what I'm talking about. Who at 343/Microsoft would be starving because they didn't charge $15 dollars for 2 subpar maps and 20 skins for weapons/armor? etc.

Why does it have to be in exchange? This is exactly what I'm talking about. Who at 343/Microsoft would be starving because they didn't charge $15 dollars for 2 subpar maps and 20 skins for weapons/armor? etc.

What would their motivation be for releasing free maps? They're a business. If they're going to spend money on something, it's going to be because they expect to make money from it.

What would their motivation be for releasing free maps? They're a business. If they're going to spend money on something, it's going to be because they expect to make money from it.
Sustaining a healthy community, not splitting the population, continuing to give good reasons for buying the game, buying XBL Gold.

There are other ways to make money.

It'll never happen. Microsoft are not at all like Valve, as much I wish it were the case

If Forge becomes an industry-leading map and gametype creation tool in Halo 5, then it will carry itself. Focus on releasing robust tools for the sandbox game that Halo is so that players themselves can dictate what makes their vision of Halo tick. A Steam Workshop-like "store" would be perfect, just look at Skyrim.

MegaForge + Custom Games Browser + Gabo.

Everyone else work on kickass story-based co-op stuff. No more map packs unless they are free. You want to fold the various communities into themselves, not splinter and segregate them based on content they may or may not want.

For more people to play their game? No? Wouldn't that result in more money, also resulting in more people playing their game, further resulting in moving the franchise forward? The results would be beneficial to the resulting fanbase that they secured with such strategies.
Resulting results.

It's not a bad business model to release some things for free when trying to rebuild your community after years of neglect. The people creating the maps are still being paid anyway and this could really help Microsoft/343 because they need this type of positive energy going forward.

Answer me one question: Do they really need to incorporate microtransactions and charge for maps that, once again, have only shown to separate the community? We've seen these trends with other games and it's rather surprising to see people defend it for reasons UNKNOWN to me after the negative impact we've seen from other $60 games adopting these strategies.

EDIT:
http://i.minus.com/ibzcSIYqBOKxCy.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/Azzara/skype/skype-bow.gif

Random question: could you create a rotating geometry map? Gravity and physics would remain static and up right though e.g.

inception_spin_0710-md.jpg

EDIT: Actually I think I have played a mod like that once before...Also I think basic keyframing should be part of the next Forge/editor. Animating geometry enables far more creativity and interaction.

Ghazi

Random question: could you create a rotating geometry map? Gravity and physics would remain static and up right though e.g.

inception_spin_0710-md.jpg

EDIT: Actually I think I have played a mod like that once before...Also I think basic keyframing should be part of the next Forge/editor. Animating geometry enables far more creativity and interaction.
What is this image from, out of curiosity.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/Eu/inception_spin_0710-md.jpg[img]

EDIT: Actually I think I have played a mod like that once before...Also I think basic keyframing should be part of the next Forge/editor. Animating geometry enables far more creativity and interaction.[/QUOTE]
I remember seeing [URL="http://youtu.be/XCcmrL29WII?t=4m58s"]this[/URL] in the Forge World vidoc and thinking moving pieces and/or flipped gravity zones would be possible. I was pretty pissed when I realized it was just someone rotating the Forge piece manually.

Ghazi

Inception? I just looked it up, I think was going to watch it but I never did. Anyway, seems like a cool movie. Thanks.

I want Halo 5 to glow less.
Halo 5: God Ray Edition. Confirmed.

One thing I can't wait to see is the lighting. Halo 5 is probably going to look pretty damn impressive graphically.

I remember seeing this in the Forge World vidoc and thinking moving pieces and/or flipped gravity zones would be possible. I was pretty pissed when I realized it was just someone rotating the Forge piece manually.

Yeah lol.. pretty disappointing. That would be a great addition to Forge though; creating actions/moving/interactive pieces.

Fuchsdh

Inception? I just looked it up, I think was going to watch it but I never did. Anyway, seems like a cool movie. Thanks.

It's a slightly smarter caper film; a lot of the effects are practical (such as a lot of that hallway scene) so I recommend it based on that alone.

I think at some point you do need a keyboard-and-moused based editor for some of the stuff we're talking about. While I would love to get a Custom Edition 2 (to work alongside a Halo trilogy release, right, right?) I do think that there should be a a balance on console between adding features and making it frustrating to use.

From a usability standpoint the ability to group/ungroup objects and copy/paste a group are something that would benefit basically everyone, but especially anyone producing symmetrical maps.

Guys, we need a lore justification if we want moving pieces, though!

promethean architecture moves all the time

We don't have the cloudwidth, though!

Ghazi

It's a slightly smarter caper film; a lot of the effects are practical (such as a lot of that hallway scene) so I recommend it based on that alone.

I have $5 of Amazon Instant Video credit and I don't think I'll be going to school tomorrow, I know what I'm doing.

When I think of what potential Forge has, I think of something along the lines of Project Spark, but Halo. I legitimately wouldn't be ridiculously surprised if Project Spark was inspired by or came from a prototype for Forge.

heckfu

Banned
Has anyone posted the XBL activity charts yet? On mobile but just saw Halo has fallen to 20th, a step away from being off the charts.

Disappointing.

edit: errrr apparently he edited it.

Has anyone posted the XBL activity charts yet? On mobile but just saw Halo has fallen to 20th, a step away from being off the charts.

Disappointing.

Its super disappointing. considering Reach and 3 were still active a year after they released, albeit with less competition.

Madness

1. Grand Theft Auto V
2. Call Of Duty: Ghosts
3. Call Of Duty: Black Ops II
4. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
5. FIFA 14
6. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
7. Battlefield 4
8. Skyrim
9. Call Of Duty: Black Ops
10. Madden NFL 25
11. EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13
12. NBA 2K14
13. Halo 4
14. Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag
15. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
16. Battlefield 3
17. NBA 2K13
18. Halo: Reach
19. Iron Brigade
20. GTA IV

I'm seeing it at #13...

Disappointing.

huh?

LIVE Activity for week of November 25

Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles (based on UU’s)
  1. Grand Theft Auto V
  2. Call of Duty: Ghosts
  3. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  4. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
  5. FIFA 14
  6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  7. Battlefield 4
  8. Skyrim
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  10. Madden NFL 25
  11. EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13
  12. NBA 2K14