• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
For more people to play their game? No? Wouldn't that result in more money, also resulting in more people playing their game, further resulting in moving the franchise forward? The results would be beneficial to the resulting fanbase that they secured with such strategies.
Resulting results.

It's only beneficial insofar as it gets people to spend money on the game, either by buying new units or paying for DLC. Free DLC doesn't impact the former enough to cancel out the later (free inducement benefits < DLC sales $) except when the game is pretty new (KZ) or you're actually trying to get people to buy other, paid DLC. So you'll only see a free map as part of some larger promotion or essentially to goad you to keep playing so you'll buy some other kind of DLC (like the far more numerous paid map packs ala Cold Storage).

I guess they could try it as some sort of weird loss-leader for the console in its entirety, but I doubt they'll think they need to do that.

It's not a bad business model to release some things for free when trying to rebuild your community after years of neglect. The people creating the maps are still being paid anyway and this could really help Microsoft/343 because they need this type of positive energy going forward.

It's not very efficient, since a huge chunk of buyers (of which the core community are but an itty bitty piece) aren't getting the game for multiplayer, as seen in Halo 4. MS and 343i would be better off spending the money, from their perspective, on other outreach like contests, which are really just more advertising.

Answer me one question: Do they really need to incorporate microtransactions and charge for maps that, once again, have only shown to separate the community? We've seen these trends with other games and it's rather surprising to see people defend it for reasons UNKNOWN to me after the negative impact we've seen from other $60 games adopting these strategies.

The don't need to, but they might; it's about how profitable it would be in the long run. We're just speculating how they might make their money and not fuck over gameplay, because they are going to try to make money regardless.

TL:DR: MS has more efficient ways to get more players to spend more money than by releasing free maps.

It's a slightly smarter caper film; a lot of the effects are practical (such as a lot of that hallway scene) so I recommend it based on that alone.

I think at some point you do need a keyboard-and-moused based editor for some of the stuff we're talking about. While I would love to get a Custom Edition 2 (to work alongside a Halo trilogy release, right, right?) I do think that there should be a a balance on console between adding features and making it frustrating to use.

From a usability standpoint the ability to group/ungroup objects and copy/paste a group are something that would benefit basically everyone, but especially anyone producing symmetrical maps.

I've always preferred the idea of a PC based editor or just sell a crappy M+KB with a Forge standalone game etc.

I'm more curious how the X1 dedis are going to affect Halo Forge and multiplayer? Realistically one could expect far more interactivity, animation and BTB large scale battles not just for additional console processing power but synchronisation technology DA CLOUD servers provide over P2P of the 360 Halo era.

Adding group features like copy, mirror, scale, colour change, texture change etc would be great to add to Forge. Big ticket items would be the Project Spark terrain, voice, mocap, scripting, controls, AI? (please be true) and perhaps a campaign/SPOPS type mission designer.

As for the chart fuck me 5 COD's in the top 20!?!? Seriously that is just ridiculous. Also the below from Larry too:
Note: I am working on a process to include Xbox One titles but I won&#8217;t have it done until after the Holiday.

I am curious which X1 games are being played the most. For me my order of play is ACIV, KI = Ryse then Forza & FIFA behind those.

Hey guys! Remember me? The guy who loves Halo and occasionally comes in here to share music (often Halo inspired or related) with you all? Well I'm at it again. I just published another album. This time of the sci-fi horror genre. 10 tracks for free! You all can check it out here. :)

Now to fit in - Halo sucks!

Just wanted to quote this again because it was a great listen.

<3 Silence - Good stuff breh, you really captured that feeling you were going for:

Cinematic science fiction horror music. An exploration of the mystery and darkness of space.

A man awakens aboard a derelict space ship to find the entire crew dead. He has no memory of who he is. Aided by a crippled AI, he must evade a terrifying threat and uncover the dark secrets of his own past.

Fuchsdh

I've always preferred the idea of a PC based editor or just sell a crappy M+KB with a Forge standalone game etc.

I'm more curious how the X1 dedis are going to affect Halo Forge and multiplayer? Realistically one could expect far more interactivity, animation and BTB large scale battles not just for additional console processing power but synchronisation technology DA CLOUD servers provide over P2P of the 360 Halo era.

Adding group features like copy, mirror, scale, colour change, texture change etc would be great to add to Forge. Big ticket items would be the Project Spark terrain, voice, mocap, scripting, controls, AI? (please be true) and perhaps a campaign/SPOPS type mission designer.

As for the chart fuck me 5 COD's in the top 20!?!? Seriously that is just ridiculous. Also the below from Larry too:

I am curious which X1 games are being played the most. For me my order of play is ACIV, KI = Ryse then Forza & FIFA behind those.

I honestly don't think it will that much, just because that's not an option for offline LAN environments.

I honestly don't think it will that much, just because that's not an option for offline LAN environments.

From the limited cloud stuff we've seen so far they have redundancy built into the game engine. I would assume there is similar scaling development with that e.g. map remains static on LAN but dynamic when online. Perhaps certain maps just aren't available on LAN?

An interesting point to consider though, I hadn't until you posted it.

From the limited cloud stuff we've seen so far they have redundancy built into the game engine. I would assume there is similar scaling development with that e.g. map remains static on LAN but dynamic when online. Perhaps certain maps just aren't available on LAN?

An interesting point to consider though, I hadn't until you posted it.

if 343 does this... no one better defend it.

if 343 does this... no one better defend it.

Preface: I'm not trying to pass my discussion off as concrete this is how it should be, just want to discuss this as I think it's important considering how connected things are these days.

I agree LAN support has to be there as does splitscreen for example but if you're having a LAN tournament is it that hard to connect to the Internet as well? Another example would be if splitscreen was only 30fps opposed to 60fps is that acceptable?

Say the game comes out with 20 maps would it be so horrible that 5 of those maps are for say BTB dynamic maps of 64 players and NOT available for LAN play without an Internet connection? I could accept that but I wouldn't want to see zero LAN or splitscreen support for example.

Preface: I'm not trying to pass my discussion off as concrete this is how it should be, just want to discuss this as I think it's important considering how connected things are these days.

I agree LAN support has to be there as does splitscreen for example but if you're having a LAN tournament is it that hard to connect to the Internet as well? Another example would be if splitscreen was only 30fps opposed to 60fps is that acceptable?

Say the game comes out with 20 maps would it be so horrible that 5 of those maps are for say BTB dynamic maps of 64 players and NOT available for LAN play without an Internet connection? I could accept that but I wouldn't want to see zero LAN or splitscreen support for example.

its unacceptable to have anything blocked from LAN.

its unacceptable to have anything blocked from LAN.

Most likely this is already going to show up one way or another e.g. coop campaign graphics or AI downgrade for Halo X1 when offline. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we expecting graphics and background AI will be cloud processed based with redundancy of lower graphics as fall back?

So although they could support LAN for all maps they could ditch interactivity (or the amount/frequency of it) for specific maps? Would you not accept that?

Tzeentch

9e6GNcMm.jpg

I actually checked this against the Reach Brute and aside from the face being a lot flatter, IMO it's not as huge a change as the grunt or jackal was.
NONyK4u.jpg

Its still a change that isnt really needed. 343 needs to stop changing the tried and true designs of Halo creatures.

too late. go see how terrible each covenant looks like. even the marines look awful. It's funny how they used all that time to make things more awful[even the interface and other smaller things] when they could have left it alone and use that time for something else.

Ataxia

9e6GNcMm.jpg

I actually checked this against the Reach Brute and aside from the face being a lot flatter, IMO it's not as huge a change as the grunt or jackal was.
NONyK4u.jpg

Reach Brutes are awful too. I miss H3's power-armour Brutes.

Sure, it probably doesn't make sense for the Brutes to have that tech now that the Covenant has disbanded, but it's not like that has stopped 343i from changing things in the past anyway.

Tzeentch

Its still a change that isnt really needed. 343 needs to stop changing the tried and true designs of Halo creatures.
-- Oh, I agree. Just noting that it's not as huge a change as it may have first looked. Certainly not on the level of the absolutely godawful Grunt remake with the sexy Flanders butt, for example.

Halo-4-Storm-Grunt-4_1340029577-150x150.jpg

Reach Brutes are awful too. I miss H3's power-armour Brutes.

Sure, it probably doesn't make sense for the Brutes to have that tech now that the Covenant has disbanded, but it's not like that has stopped 343i from changing things in the past anyway.

"I thought the Brutes had lost most of their Covenant technology."
"A lot can happen in four years. Either way, he's probably not alone. We should be careful."

"These Brutes seem more fanatical than the ones we've fought before."

Fuchsdh

This is your opinion. Yes it is different but not awful.

elite-comparison.png

grunt-comparison02.png

jackal-comparison.png

hunter-comparison.png

I miss the Halo 2 designs. They were sleeker and mostly just nice updates to what we already had as opposed to any change for the sake of change modifications (and Bungie was just as guilty of this as 343, especially regarding the Brutes.)

Still the best looking Elites even if they got too hunched for multiplayer reasons.

EDIT: Wow I just noticed that Halo 4 was the first time the Hunters had the difficulty shield. I guess I always assumed that was what it was supposed to be in the previous versions but the shields are way too distorted for that.

I really don't have any problems with any of the redesigns(I actually really like what they did with MC and all the Elites stuff outside of their odd no forearm armor), except for two things:

Jackals - They look nothing like the old ones. These new ones look cool and that's great and everything, but just call them something different then.

UNSC - Every soldier suddenly looks like a spartan. Everyone has the same helmet style that looks like a Spartan-III or IV. It makes everything look so bland.

Tzeentch

I'm sure I'll get lambasted, but Halo 2 is still my favorite Halo game. Even with that weird ghosting effect in 360 emulation I still enjoy playing through it on Legendary. I'm hoping it gets an Anniversary treatment.

Fuchsdh

I'm sure I'll get lambasted, but Halo 2 is still my favorite Halo game. Even with that weird ghosting effect in 360 emulation I still enjoy playing through it on Legendary. I'm hoping it gets an Anniversary treatment.

One day I might try and beat it on Legendary. One day.

Fotos

Never realized how big the H1 Jackals teeth are. Look really funny now that I noticed it.

9e6GNcMm.jpg

Looks more like a Human.

One day I might try and beat it on Legendary. One day.

When you get to the single shot Jackal snipers bit just get to cover behind a rock or crate as you enter the open area. From there shoot ONLY ONCE then switch to the other side of the crate and shoot ONLY ONCE again. Repeat this exactly until you kill them all and don't double peek on the same side to shoot or you're toast, you must alternate. Never attempt to leave that single spot of cover or expose yourself to more than one enemy at a time when peeking from cover sides to shoot. When you think they're all dead check it 5 more times before you leave cover.

It's the most brutal part of Halo 2 legendary.

Fuchsdh

Which part are yoy having trouble with?

Try Halo 3 ODST on Solo Legendary trying to pass the highway... ugh.

The last time I probably tried was 2006. I was doing it coop and we couldn't get past the second hangar. Now that I know a few more skips I might have a shot.

It's not nearly as annoying as Halo 4 legendary is.

Ranking the games I've beaten Legendary, I'd say from easiest to hardest they've been

ODST > Halo 1 > Halo 3 > Halo 4 > Reach

Didn't have that much difficulty with Halo 4 myself. ODST is the only game I've played through Legendary first-run and I found it the easiest by far. Highway was tricky because of Buck's poor target acquisition but it's still not too difficult overall.

nillapuddin

Aside from the more substantial Forge improvements that could be made, allowing multiple tilesets and simply reskinning pieces with a natural theme would solve the monotony aspects we've all had, even if you could only choose say, a combination of one terrain tileset and one structure tileset per map, sort of like how the old StarCraft editors worked.

So want a classic Halo environment? Pick Forerunner structure tileset x Grass.

Recreate Sidewinder? Forerunner x Snow (x Night, if we really wanted to go crazy and have even two options for day/night).

Covenant mining facility? Covenant x Rock.

Three tilesets for each faction and maybe five or so for terrain (grass, rock, snow, sand, asphalt?) and you've blown the amount of possible variety out of the water and enabled Forgers to create far more naturalistic settings, and that's just by essentially reskinning pieces (though obviously there's a lot more work to implementing it than just pasting new textures.) Impact of ability for players to pick up and Forge like they can now? Zero.

From your fingers to 343's eyes my friend.
The "what if's" are just too damn easy to find, Forge is always one (small jump) away from something truly special

Fotos

-- Once you know about the rockets they hid all over it's not that hard. Just takes forever.

-- Halo 4 had sooooooooo many one-shot moments from the damn binary rifle dogs. Ugh.

This. Why did they even give them to Crawlers in the first place? It's just unnecessary.

There is a top games being played section in the Games Store. Haven't been on the X1 this week but the last I remember it was Ghosts, BF4, FIFA for 1 through 3 and then I think Forza and ACIV might have been 4 and 5, not totally sure about those two though.

There is a top games being played section in the Games Store. Haven't been on the X1 this week but the last I remember it was Ghosts, BF4, FIFA for 1 through 3 and then I think Forza and ACIV might have been 4 and 5, not totally sure about those two though.

I'll have a look tonight, I vaguely remember it but I assumed that was from my friends only data. It will be nice when it says Halo on there finally.

gAg CruSh3r

I miss Halo 2 ;_;

Maybe I'll take a break from non-stop KI and go through the campaign again this weekend.

I feel yeah. Halo 2 was the best IMO.

Speaking of KI, I got a chance to play it at my friends house and let me tell ya.
0087_cmia.gif
Sooo much fun! I wish he had the full game. Jago was really fun to play tho!

I'll have a look tonight, I vaguely remember it but I assumed that was from my friends only data. It will be nice when it says Halo on there finally.

I really doubt it's friends data, cause there is no way Ghosts would be 1 over BF4 when most everyone on my list has been playing BF4 with regularity and I think Juices is about the only one I've seen playing Ghosts on X1.

It'd be fun if they put back in actual player counts for the game, which appeared to be in at some build prior to release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom