• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spider grenade for Halo 5:

ib2q75Y0pHnjgN.gif

Pre-order for the exclusive NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE attachment that boots you from the game whenever one activates!

In all seriousness, there is a grenade in Thor Dark World that manipulates gravity, sucking everything in before exploding, and it is an effect I have always wanted to see in Halo given its physics driven nature.

In all seriousness, there is a grenade in Thor Dark World that manipulates gravity, sucking everything in before exploding, and it is an effect I have always wanted to see in Halo given its physics driven nature.

There was a similar "Black Hole" Equipment item in Halo 3 that was tested before they realized it was too intensive on system resources to dynamically pull in all of those objects. We got the Power Drain as a replacement.

Good call, Don Figueroa would be a great fit for Halo. Love his work on Transformers, such clean lines and amazing details.

I think the problem with Halo comics though might stem from the designs and world of Halo just being way too detailed. It's one thing to draw page after page of normal human clothes, and superhero tights. It doesn't compare to the complexity of Spartan armor, UNSC, Covenant, and Forerunner architecture.

What if Halo comics used existing in-game or CG models as a baseline, rigged and posed them for each panel, then penciled/inked/colored over them? You'd never have disproportional characters, and the artist would need to slave away to get every single detail just right for 32 pages per issue.

I've thought about them just taking models of Spartans/characters/whatever and rigging them to be placed in whatever scene they need and just using that but I didn't think of whoever they hired just drawing over it. Seems kind of...a cop-out? I guess?

Spartans can probably be simplified for comic purposes. Hell, The Babysitter in Halo: Legends simplified a lot of stuff but it still came off as presenting the world well enough.

A good artist can put out good, simplified art without sacrificing the integrity of their designs.

Not that Halo comics need to have the absolute best art ever, but they spoiled us with the art from Halo Blood Line and ever since the effort values seem to be decreasing at a steady pace.

wwm0nkey

There was going to be one in Halo 3 but it messed up the online badly.

Bungee tried it so do it 343!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Can't. We're locked into the Spider Grenade from the DaddyLongLegs thread in the OT. It's a tightly packed ball of spiders that sticks to other players and then swarms them with thousands of biting arachnids that get into all the seams of your armor and consume you from inside out until you do a full skeleton collapse like from Super Ghouls N Ghosts.

It kills the player it sticks to and all the other players in the game cry and hide behind stuff.

There was a similar "Black Hole" Equipment item in Halo 3 that was tested before they realized it was too intensive on system resources to dynamically pull in all of those objects. We got the Power Drain as a replacement.

+

I vaguely recall this being talked about. Did they ever release footage of it? It would have been really cool to see in action.

Can't. We're locked into the Spider Grenade from the DaddyLongLegs thread in the OT. It's a tightly packed ball of spiders that sticks to other players and then swarms them with thousands of biting arachnids that get into all the seams of your armor and consume you from inside out until you do a full skeleton collapse like from Super Ghouls N Ghosts.

It kills the player it sticks to and all the other players in the game cry and hide behind stuff.

Please make this happen in a terrifying gag real. :lol

Hell, they can be nano promethean spiders.

IHaveIce

Banned

That would be awesome, but like others already said was tested in Halo 3 and got scrapped.

Also Stinkles, how many sleeps till some Halo goodness?

Mistel

Banned
That spider gif has a lot of spiders wow, I don't really mind them. Heights and rollercoaster's I'm awful with though.

wwm0nkey

Compromise, Gravity Spiders.

Gravity Spiders, fuck yeah.

That spider gif has a lot of spiders wow, I don't really mind them. Heights and rollercoaster's I'm awful with though.

Best solution is to constantly expose yourself to heights. The fear makes it more thrilling.

Daddy long legs don't even bite do they? Totally harmless insects.

They are awesome.

Though if I had a ball of them hit me I would be relatively uncomfortable.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Halo 4 -> Team Slayer -> Need people to play with -> Message, "TashiGAF" in 10 minutes if anyone wants to play.

IHaveIce

Banned
Only got scrapped due to networking. Halo 5 has dedicated servers so it should work....maybe

Really? I would have guessed it would mess a lot of stuff up like performance in fps or would cause serious bugs.
Don't remember anything about it anymore.

Would be cool to get something like this (as long as we can't spawn with it in MM)

Madness

I followed most of the debacle, heck I gave MS tons of shit for their policies, but no one can deny the Sony love gaming side gives. Any slightly positive Sony information is roundly praised as the end of MS, any slightly negative Xbox One information is also roundly praised as the end of MS.

What they can't see is, the consumer gaming population at large, had kind of ignored or not paid attention to this console war, both consoles are selling like hotcakes and they are both breaking sales records for their brands. Look at some of the posts, "I kind of wished the gap between PS4 and Xbox One sales were bigger", it's like why?

Anecdotally, I'd say probably 60% of my friends list and friends this gen have already bought Xbox One's. I'm not denying the crazy hype and sales of the PS4, it's a cheaper and yet more powerful console. But the Xbox One is far from being a debacle, and I'm pretty sure by the time TitanFall releases, most won't even remember the DRM, always online or other hated policies.

Besides, it's a month from launch. This gen will drag on for years. As an aside, I'd really like to know just many of HaloGAF have next gen consoles already. Anyways, I know, another classic Madness tl;dr post. It's exactly one year to the day since I joined this place, so that means exactly 1 year of most of my posts being scrolled over.

I posted this yesterday, but then edited it.

Mistel

Banned
Gravity Spiders, fuck yeah.
Best solution is to constantly expose yourself to heights. The fear makes it more thrilling.
I do enjoy the thrill of being high up the tallest thing I've been on it the top of the monument in london. Rollercoaster's is just awful motion sickness, that's to do with developmental stuff that you can't fix.

Gravity spiders fired from reach's grenade launcher would be awesome.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I followed most of the debacle, heck I gave MS tons of shit for their policies, but no one can deny the Sony love gaming side gives. Any slightly positive Sony information is roundly praised as the end of MS, any slightly negative Xbox One information is also roundly praised as the end of MS.

What they can't see is, the consumer gaming population at large, had kind of ignored or not paid attention to this console war, both consoles are selling like hotcakes and they are both breaking sales records for their brands. Look at some of the posts, "I kind of wished the gap between PS4 and Xbox One sales were bigger", it's like why?

Anecdotally, I'd say probably 60% of my friends list and friends this gen have already bought Xbox One's. I'm not denying the crazy hype and sales of the PS4, it's a cheaper and yet more powerful console. But the Xbox One is far from being a debacle, and I'm pretty sure by the time TitanFall releases, most won't even remember the DRM, always online or other hated policies.

Besides, it's a month from launch. This gen will drag on for years. As an aside, I'd really like to know just many of HaloGAF have next gen consoles already. Anyways, I know, another classic Madness tl;dr post. It's exactly one year to the day since I joined this place, so that means exactly 1 year of most of my posts being scrolled over.

Obviously I am a defacto shill but I agree with this. As a gamer it's kind of sad to see people get wrapped up in corporatism instead of voting with their likes. The PS4 has plenty to offer, as does the Xbox One - so it SHOULD be competitive - and the fact that they have fairly distinct differences makes it exciting in a way, like we haven't seen since Mega Drive/SNES (in my opinion - and ignoring briefly the Saturn and PSOne). But it's embarrassing to see people do things like dogpile on Xbox One for not currently having 3D Blu Ray playback, but defend that exact same fact on the PS4. At that point it's like party politics/sports team irrationality.

But one thing I do enjoy about console wars is the tradition of previously obscure technical facts suddenly being all-important, and the equally old tradition of PC Gamers popping in to point out that $100 PCs from 1978 already had that feature.

I can't think of another entertainment sphere that has this level of rinse, repeat cycles of people and product politics.

And Titanfall is going to be a beast. That timing... traditional drought period being filled with an ice cold bucket of delicious system seller. There are very few games that can generate that kind of hype based soley on apparent (and experiential) gameplay. Like, usually it's graphics or something, but Titanfall (and on a sleeper - oooh I forgot about that basis) Sunset Overdrive just. look. fun.

IHaveIce

Banned

Obviously I am a defacto shill but I agree with this. As a gamer it's kind of sad to see people get wrapped up in corporatism instead of voting with their likes. The PS4 has plenty to offer, as does the Xbox One - so it SHOULD be competitive - and the fact that they have fairly distinct differences makes it exciting in a way, like we haven't seen since Mega Drive/SNES (in my opinion - and ignoring briefly the Saturn and PSOne). But it's embarrassing to see people do things like dogpile on Xbox One for not currently having 3D Blu Ray playback, but defend that exact same fact on the PS4. At that point it's like party politics/sports team irrationality.

But one thing I do enjoy about console wars is the tradition of previously obscure technical facts suddenly being all-important, and the equally old tradition of PC Gamers popping in to point out that $100 PCs from 1978 already had that feature.

I can't think of another entertainment sphere that has this level of rinse, repeat cycles of people and product politics.

I agree with both of you that the behaviour is stupid and silly, especially these double standards, but what we can't forget is that at the beginning of the last gen it was the other way around.

Sony was in deep trouble at getting positive replies, eventhough it seemed their only problem was a expensive console (with an Blu-Ray player) and a launch drought of games (the new consoles IMO also have no good games for now) and now it is MS, even though the problems of the Xbox One that were really upsetting (DRM etc) are removed, now their are piling up on almost every tiny problem.

Both consoles will find their place and will be successfull and will get awesome games, like last gen.

Wii U will suffer, unlike last gen.

I agree with both of you that the behaviour is stupid and silly, especially these double standards, but what we can't forget is that at the beginning of the last gen it was the other way around.

Sony was in deep trouble at getting positive replies, eventhough it seemed their only problem was a expensive console (with an Blu-Ray player) and a launch drought of games (the new consoles IMO also have no good games for now) and now it is MS, even though the problems of the Xbox One that were really upsetting (DRM etc) are removed, now their are piling up on almost every tiny problem.

Both consoles will find their place and will be successfull and will get awesome games, like last gen.

Wii U will suffer, unlike last gen.

I have a Wii U and I don't feel this sentiment. The opposite actually, the console has me hyped for 2014, and has already delivered for 2013. Sure it may not sell like hotcakes like the 3DS or Wii, but the system already has a pretty awesome lineup and some really cool looking stuff coming along the way. That's all I really give a shit about at the end of the day. If there's games, then I p(l)ay.

I'll probably pick up a Xbox One over the summer or something for some shooter trifecta with Halo, Destiny and TitanFall. Then I'll pick up a PS4 when some good exclusives start to hit in a few years. Until then I play most of my multiplats on PC.

It's a great time for games.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Shill.

Titanfall definitely played a part in swaying my console choice. Never seen such mobility before.

The trailer for Sunsent Overdrive looks pretty awesome.

I assumed the trailer was pre-rendered. Unless there's more footage?

It was pre-rendered, but I figured the actual game would keep the same style.

Mistel

Banned
Does anyone know if there is anyway to get Halo 3 forge maps and custom gametypes downloaded still?
I don't think so it was gone after Bungie switched it off so to speak. I'm not sure though I last checked after the transfer to 343 happened.

As for console discussion I'm not to fussed which is better technology wise, I'd rather wait for games I'm interested in before buying one.

Madness

TitanFall will be one of the big differentiators next year, and if EA can nail the marketing and advertising they can really gain more momentum for their game and the for the Xbox One as a system. I'm more hyped for TitanFall than Destiny.

Pre-order for the exclusive NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE attachment that boots you from the game whenever one activates!

Funny how COD have a plenty of show the enemy in radar via bombs,perks and killstreaks yet you can use a single perk to negate those effects.

Halo

Fucking

Mexico

I blame Orchagaininsinsnssns for its demise.

matthieuC

Honestly, I still haven't made my console choice. I go back and forth everyday on which console is right for me. Of course both consoles would be ideal, but it's not really possible for me. At the moment I am leaning towards an Xbox One. I like the feel of it over the PS4, and it's got Titanfall and Halo. Yet I still don't know if those franchises are worth $100 and less power.

I just wish 343 would show some Halo shit as that will most definitely influence my choice.

I blame Orchagaininsinsnssns for its demise.
He's the only reason I'm not in here bitching about Mexico on a more consistent basis. Which is probably a good thing.

Obviously I am a defacto shill but I agree with this. As a gamer it's kind of sad to see people get wrapped up in corporatism instead of voting with their likes.
Maybe you didn't read the public-facing material they put out regarding the original DRM, but I did and it was disgusting. Certainly deserving of boycott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom