• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

heckfu

Banned
Interesting...

T0lDYTA.png

Ataxia

1. Grand Theft Auto V
2. Call Of Duty: Ghosts
3. Call Of Duty: Black Ops II
4. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
5. FIFA 14
6. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
7. Battlefield 4
8. Skyrim
9. Call Of Duty: Black Ops
10. Madden NFL 25
11. EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13
12. NBA 2K14
13. Halo 4
14. Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag
15. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
16. Battlefield 3
17. NBA 2K13
18. Halo: Reach
19. Iron Brigade
20. GTA IV

I'm seeing it at #13...

It really does put into perspective how big the damn CoD player base is, doesn't it? I mean, god damn. Why is it so popular?! I get that it's addictive... but still.

blamite

The only thing 343 has redesigned that looks cool is the Hunter, and that's only because they couldn't think of a good reason to have them grow dinosaur faces.

Halo 4's Jackals make me want to barf everywhere.

I feel yeah. Halo 2 was the best IMO.

Speaking of KI, I got a chance to play it at my friends house and let me tell ya.
0087_cmia.gif
Sooo much fun! I wish he had the full game. Jago was really fun to play tho!

The game is so much fun, it's easily my favorite Xbox One launch title. I still don't know who I want to main yet, but I love Jago. Got all of his costumes unlocked, and have the most time played with him.

Interesting...

T0lDYTA.png

Does anyone have his response to Halo 4? I want to be optimistic about other people's opinions...but we know how that turned out before.

Fuchsdh

While I do want Halo to have a competitive presence I'm glad there wasn't an MLG playlist in Halo 4 and I hope that remains the case.

Madness

It really does put into perspective how big the damn CoD player base is, doesn't it? I mean, god damn. Why is it so popular?! I get that it's addictive... but still.

No, it really puts into perspective that Halo fans aren't playing Halo games. Why is that? That's what 343 needs to be asking. Why was Halo 2 played up till the launch of Halo 3, and why was Halo 3 routinely #1 or #2 until the launch of Reach and why was Reach #3 for about a year or two, before it dropped and why was Halo 4 #2 for only 1 month before it dropped out of top five within 3 months?

Sounds confusing in a sense, but why is it that the last two games in the series have seen significant drop off in terms of players and fan base? Why are we always talking about Halo, than playing it? Because it's simply not fun, nor is it a good Halo game. I'd rather NOT play, than play if I had a choice.

Lol

How does a MLG playlist bother you at all?

Dweebs.

I'm actually a little inclined to agree - population notwithstanding, I'd much prefer a competitive playlist over a MLG one. That being said, if there's a big enough audience for both to flourish, I wouldn't mind having both, but in a case like 4 or to a lesser extent Reach (where MLG is having to go not just minimalist, but full-on skeleton crew in regards to the sandbox) just doesn't seem like a great fit for either party.

While I do want Halo to have a competitive presence I'm glad there wasn't an MLG playlist in Halo 4 and I hope that remains the case.
I don't understand.
I mean I rarely played it at all, but the experience winning against skilled players & even putting your all with a coordinated team is a very rewarding feeling.

aside from Ghost. The MLG players knew how to make a fair balanced gametype. Then Halo 4 came along and changed pretty much everything.

and lest we forget Quinn telling the competitive community to fuck itself on twitter. and are we going to trust anything Halo in the hands of the guy who made Gears Judgement?
EDIT:
No, it really puts into perspective that Halo fans aren't playing Halo games. Why is that? That's what 343 needs to be asking. Why was Halo 2 played up till the launch of Halo 3, and why was Halo 3 routinely #1 or #2 until the launch of Reach and why was Reach #3 for about a year or two, before it dropped and why was Halo 4 #2 for only 1 month before it dropped out of top five within 3 months?

Sounds confusing in a sense, but why is it that the last two games in the series have seen significant drop off in terms of players and fan base? Why are we always talking about Halo, than playing it? Because it's simply not fun, nor is it a good Halo game. I'd rather NOT play, than play if I had a choice.

it's not confusing, you hit the nail on the head.

Fuchsdh

I don't understand.
I mean I rarely played it at all, but the experience winning against skilled players & even putting your all with a coordinated team is a very rewarding feeling.
I don't think Halo should privilege a single eSports scene with a playlist that was opaque and rarely got many updates.

I'm not against an MLG playlist but personally I just prefer default objective and Halo 3 CTF or bomb was just as balanced IMO.

Tawpgun

I see what he's saying. But it's partly MLG and the developers fault.

Halo 2 was perfect because MLG was literally just Team Hardcore more or less. The base game was competetively viable with just some simple menu changes.
Halo 3 was ok. They removed equipment, changed some spawns around and made you faster. The base game wasn't up to their standards.
Reach was a disaster. The base game Suuuuuuucked competetively.
Halo 4 was almost worse but MLG Halo was dead at this point anyway.

Basically, MLG needs to balance mass appeal with competitiveness, sure they might be super strict on some points, but the developer needs to meet them half way. Unfortunatley with the direction the franchise is going as implied by Halo 4, MLG will need to take out a lot of elements from the base game to make it a viable e-sport.

Halo 2 was perfect because MLG was literally just Team Hardcore more or less. The base game was competetively viable with just some simple menu changes.
Halo 3 was ok. They removed equipment, changed some spawns around and made you faster. The base game wasn't up to their standards.

Basically, MLG needs to balance mass appeal with competitiveness, sure they might be super strict on some points, but the developer needs to meet them half way. Unfortunatley with the direction the franchise is going as implied by Halo 4, MLG will need to take out a lot of elements from the base game to make it a viable e-sport.

Yeah, I wish 343i would have an adequately competetive gametype at release and that MLG would suck it up and keep the settings while they hashed out V2 together. MLG for Reach I think was just too dissimilar from the base game for your average player to get into; it might as well have been a different game. At least that's how I felt.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

I do wonder what MLG Halo 2 would have been like if they had more options and abilities to change stuff.

Tawpgun

I do wonder what MLG Halo 2 would have been like if they had more options and abilities to change stuff.

Yeah there's that too. We probably wouldn't have needlers lol.

As a rule of thumb, before launch 343 should up movement speed 10% like MLG always does to Halo games since Halo 3. MLG's movement has always felt better than default Halo. In every game.

Fuchsdh

Yeah there's that too. We probably wouldn't have needlers lol.

As a rule of thumb, before launch 343 should up movement speed 10% like MLG always does to Halo games since Halo 3. MLG's movement has always felt better than default Halo. In every game.
Then MLG will just boost movement speed to effectively 120% out of habit.

The movement speed boost is global in Halo 4 though.

2v2 Halo CE LANs, stream them on Twitch at a quality above 240p this time.

Don't even bother talking about Halo 5, just play good Halo and hopefully 343 can make one on accident.

Spoken like a champion.

I'm not against an MLG playlist but personally I just prefer default objective and Halo 3 CTF or bomb was just as balanced IMO.

Every time you post, especially when you mention Objective gametypes, I think of what we used to have in Halo 1 and Halo 2.

Why Bungie/343 (although 343 did increase the flag runner speed which was a positive) decided to make most Objective gametypes a sluggish mess is beyond me. Bring the speed back to Halo Objectives! Let us throw the flag more than 3 feet (shit.. just let us DROP the flag first), don't force us to walk like a tank when we already have limited firepower options, etc. etc.

I was going to mention how Forge combined with MLG is what steadily ruined competitive Halo for me, but in reality that was more Bungie's fault. That damn BR and watered down sandbox of Halo 3 frikkin destroyed the excitement of it IMO, not to mention the iffy map selection compared to the first two.

daedalius

Nah. There does come a point where it becomes silly with the maps.

It is 110% everywhere now I believe, still feels a bit slow tho (especially after playing Quake!)

I think they H4 really screwed up at launch, infinity was much more awful with its random ordnance drops, the BR was 5 shot, the boltshot was stronger (although its still awful), camo was better and people seemed to abuse it more.

There was no where to go to get away from those terrible settings. I stopped playing for several months, and I'm pretty sure a lot of other people did too, but they just didn't come back.

I find the game to be quite fun now since the big tuning update (that took way too long to release), I love legendary BRs, I love Ricochet, BTB is alright if you don't get the infinity version (or fucking Complex!).

Basically Infinity sucked, and there were plenty of other games out that people found to be more enjoyable. Those people left, and never came back.

Every time you post, especially when you mention Objective gametypes, I think of what we used to have in Halo 1 and Halo 2

Me too but I'll happily take 3's objective over 4's as well. I wish we could lessen all the other game type and just have pure flag and assault.

It's great 4 at least keeps CTF as a standalone playlist with matching population to other lists. However I have to wonder if that is more the fact of just having a pure CTF list without fringe objective game types or 343i's Infinity. IMO a core list of default classic CTF and bomb would always do well on its own.

heckfu

Banned
You know what's a great idea? Giving some community members Halo 5 a week or so early and have them stream MP from their Xbox One for promos.

And AS the idea generator, I'll go ahead and PM my address to 343.

You know what's a great idea? Giving some community members Halo 5 a week or so early and have them stream MP from their Xbox One for promos.

Yup and they should hold weekly streams in the months leading up to Halo 5's release. Killer Instinct is a perfect example of how to execute this entire process effectively.

That sounds good. Also have weekly streams where they play a couple games and answer questions from the community.

edit:^^^SEE its a good idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom