• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
See my edit.

About Evolutions, The Life and Death of Preston Cole is the best story absolutely.
Well, seems good. I might give it a shot.

I just want some old Marty Odonnel music. Listening to "High Charity Suite" brings me the feels... oh god, the feels.....

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just remembered I have this bad boy

TXbBVYZ.jpg

*swoon*

Woorloog

Banned
Well, seems good. I might give it a shot.

I just want some old Marty Odonnel music. Listening to "High Charity Suite" brings me the feels... oh god, the feels.....

Halo Glasslands gives some useful background info for Halo 4 too by the way, and it does have its moments.
Too bad it treats Halsey's character without the respect the character deserves.

IHaveIce

Banned
Don't read glasslands.

Also just watched the Halo 2 speedrun, man that was awesome, now I also want to play the campaigns again

I got the collector's edition, and I don't regret buying it, I like all the lore stuff, but I wish I actually could play the game now a days. I haven't touched the game in like 3 months.

It's $60 now, that's a good deal to me.

I got the collector's edition, and I don't regret buying it, I like all the lore stuff, but I wish I actually could play the game now a days. I haven't touched the game in like 3 months.

It's $60 now, that's a good deal to me.

I bought a frame for the Armor schematics. still yet to hang it on the wall.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't regret buying Halo 4 for i like it but the collector's edition... really meh. ME3 CE, which i also have, at least had Javik, Halo 4's has only stupid MP maps i don't get to play (in BTB) and that are not playable in split-screen if we do get one...
And the lore stuff is really meh too.

I regret getting Reach but not getting it's limited edition, the Halsey's Journal is so damn good, probably best Collector's Edition stuff i've seen, or have for that matter.
EDIT yes, i realize the contradiction...

Imagine how bad those guys* who bought the Halo 4 Xbox 360's collectors console must feel.

Suckers.

*referring to Xbox 360 users who bought a second Xbox just to have that specific edition, regardless of having an already functional Xbox 360.

I regret i had to get Reach with the Journal. I like the Journal far, far more than the game... (Objectively, Halo Reach is pretty good game. Too bad i find it weak, doubly so when compared to other Halos...)
It is. I might do another playthrough just for the lulz.

blamite

Halo 4 CE is the most regrettable purchase I've made, made far, far, worse by the fact that I bought the standard edition as well.

BigShow36

I agree, but I don't necessary subscribe to the idea that that is what makes many Halo players dicks. Disgruntled, sure. Maybe if we take into account the lack of decent skill matching, forcing "bad" players on the same team as "good" players. So much frustration that would be better avoided in the future.

I don't think Halo players are more dickish than any other multiplayer fanbase, it's just that generally, especially on PC, the players are not in direct communication with each other. With console games, you have the anonymity of online interactions coupled with a direct communication link (microphone); people are dicks.

Additionally, when there is no clear pecking order (like a game with a low skill-gap), players will tend to become more rude to each other than they naturally would as they attempt to gain the upper hand on opponents in the absence of any other metric (like dogs establishing their pack; when there is no clear leader, they fight to establish order). We can get into the psychology and all that, but simply put, when there is no clear order of skill, players act more aggressive and rude than they probably normally would.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't bought a special edition since Halo 2. I almost did with Halo 4, but I had a hunch the game would be bad.

Mistel

Banned
I bought a frame for the Armor schematics. still yet to hang it on the wall.
I would hang mine up shame I've got no space, did they sell prints of some of the reach menu art?

Imagine how bad those guys* who bought the Halo 4 Xbox 360's collectors console must feel.

Suckers.
You didn't buy one then with your PR paychecks? :p so glad my limited edition was a present, I'd be upset significantly if it wasn't one.

I would hang mine up shame I've got no space, did they sell prints of some of the reach menu art?

You didn't buy one then with your PR paychecks? :p so glad my limited edition was a present, I'd be upset significantly if it wasn't one.

If they sold some prints i would totally buy it, but a cursory google search shows some people printing them through services that print custom images.

Nebula

Suckers.

*referring to Xbox 360 users who bought a second Xbox just to have that specific edition, regardless of having an already functional Xbox 360.

That would be pretty heartbreaking.

Woorloog

Banned
It is. I might do another playthrough just for the lulz.

It is technically solid game, with solid controls and gameplay. Objectively speaking, that is. Unfortunately "solid" is not enough... because it lacks something that made earlier Halos, and Halo 4 fun games: its gameplay is awful compared to them.
The multiplayer's major issue is bad map design, first and foremost, on good maps with decent players it can be even fun. Otherwise the party must be fun.

But the singleplayer... now that's awful. Awful story, awful mission design, awful encounter design, combined with weak gameplay (compared to other Halos) and cheating AI (which doesn't happen in other Halos except perhaps when using certain skulls). EDIT eh, cheating is wrong term. But the AI/NPCs are just wrong.

And i play Halos for their SP so Reach was really bad for me.

It is technically solid game, with solid controls and gameplay. Objectively speaking, that is. Unfortunately "solid" is not enough... because it lacks something that made earlier Halos, and Halo 4 fun games: its gameplay is awful compared to them.
The multiplayer's major issue is bad map design, first and foremost, on good maps with decent players it can be even fun. Otherwise the party must be fun.

But the singleplayer... now that's awful. Awful story, awful mission design, awful encounter design, combined with weak gameplay (compared to other Halos) and cheating AI (which doesn't happen in other Halos except perhaps when using certain skulls). EDIT eh, cheating is wrong term. But the AI/NPCs are just wrong.

And i play Halos for their SP so Reach was really bad for me.
Me too but I don't find it that bad. I thought it was quite good!

Opinions I guess.

Sparth as the lead Art Director is super exciting.

In other news, if Halo 5 actually showcases the Arbiter, Brutes and humans working together like in the comic I will be happy:

Also, although the last issue had Halo 3 Jackals this issue had Halo 4 style Jackals:

But hey, Skirmishers are still around which is cool.

Really? I don't remember noticing it.

Hey buddy, I'm going to give you some friendly advice, you are kind of posting a lot, and I know first-hand that some people here aren't too fond of that sort of thing.

I know you are excited to be part of the community and such, and I was the same way when I joined HaloGAF. Just slow down a bit, take time to just read it. You don't need to respond to every post on here.

Some helpful hints that I use is:

-Think before you post. Ask yourself "Do I really need to respond to this post, or will someone else hit on the points that I was already going to make?" If you don't think it's essential to advancing the discussion, hold off replying. Always second guess your post before you click the button.

-Branch out into different communities. NeoGAF is a wonderous place and full of many different threads and sub-communities, and there's sure to be a fit for you. It'd also keep you from posting so much here, when there are other places to post as well. Use the Subscriptions feature!

-Just sort of observe the general flow of the conversation, and get acclimated to the climate. This one is kind of hard to explain, but just sort of observe for a while and get a feel for how people are posting, their frequency, and subject matter. It's kind of disrupting when we're talking about Halo lore and someone chimes in with "I just got a Perfection in BTB Swat!"

-Avoid using in-crowd memes like #HGS and Tashi Ceiling. It looks weird and tacky. It's fine doing it once in a while as a joke, but it's not very conducive to discussion.

All of these will help you being compared to a crappy poster known as zoojoo. Trust me, you'll thank me later.

:)

BigShow36

You've inadvertently touched on something important. Halo 4 does not have bad gameplay by objective standards, which is the problem. 343 and Bungie before them seemingly measured "good gameplay" by the metrics of functionality. Does the game "work" from pure gameplay standpoint? Yes, it works quite well and is exemplary from a gameplay standpoint by any objective measure.

However, does it work from the standpoint of being engaging, fun, and enticing the player to keep playing? No. The gameplay isn't awful, the game just isn't enjoyable to play due to the slow pace and lack of personal player improvement.

It's like watching a football game from home vs going to the stadium. Do I see the football action from home? Yes, I can see it very well actually, and I get different angles and instant replay. Is it the same thing as going to the game? No; it lacks the passion, the energy, the excitement of what makes the games great.

Saying "Halo 4's gameplay is awful" causes 343 to disregard the issues, because in all reality, the gameplay is actually very good. What really is the issue is that "Halo 4 isn't fun, lacks depth and doesn't personally challenge me as a player in a skillful manner."

Twice is that much?

Even once was too much. C'mon.

You focused on a one label word when I used it to condense the post but imply all the others at the same time. Here's the rest that helped contribute to the "bad" parts of the fanbase:

1. Standby
2. Bridging
3. Host booting
4. Throttling
5. DDOS
6. MM modding e.g. autoaim and/or 1SK
7. Quitting
8. Deranking
9. Boosting
10. Selling accounts
11. Hacking/stealing accounts
12. Backing out based on match ups
13. Language boosting

It's not delusion at all mate, these are the trials and tribulations of pioneering XBL P2P & Halo MM. It's inherent in the game versions and systems, further to me it is as clear as crystal such systems moderately to heavily contributed to the mindset of many "bad elements" of the Halo community.

Dedis clear up an awful lot of these issues and "force" players to compete on an even playing field more than Halo has historically. I think we'll find vastly improved ranking systems, anti-cheating systems and a dramatically improved community. You'll never rid online of asshats and cheaters but you can reduce it through design.

The bolded are the only points that still occur in Halo MM in any statistical significance (and only 7 and 12 are actually really prominent). Maybe some contributed to the mindset in the past, but no more than they contributed to any other online game. So why is Halo so special?

I also love how you keep up this thought process that dedis will solve all your problems. In the sense of playing with other Australians, you may be right, but the geography problem will still exist for you if you want to play Americans. It may get rid of the "host advantage" issue and a couple other things that are tied to P2P, but cheaters and quitters and the like aren't going anywhere, and neither is latency in some cases, especially intercontinental. Playing on an American server against Americans will be just as crap for you as in the past.

I don't think Halo players are more dickish than any other multiplayer fanbase, it's just that generally, especially on PC, the players are not in direct communication with each other. With console games, you have the anonymity of online interactions coupled with a direct communication link (microphone); people are dicks.

Additionally, when there is no clear pecking order (like a game with a low skill-gap), players will tend to become more rude to each other than they naturally would as they attempt to gain the upper hand on opponents in the absence of any other metric (like dogs establishing their pack; when there is no clear leader, they fight to establish order). We can get into the psychology and all that, but simply put, when there is no clear order of skill, players act more aggressive and rude than they probably normally would.

I suppose that would explain the violence that occurs during otherwise friendly games of UNO with my family.

Woorloog

Banned
Me too but I don't find it that bad. I thought it was quite good!

Opinions I guess.

I don't generally mind bullet-spongy enemies (i actually despise one-shot-one-dead-enemy design) but Reach's were too much for me*. And they dodge inhumanly fast and a lot, even on easier difficulties. No pun intended.
They're too heavily armed too often, there are too many places where the enemies can easily one shot you with Fuel Rods and other heavy weapons. In Halo 2/3 Jackal Snipers were relatively easy to dodge as they were ranged attackers... Fuel Rods are almost invariably close range weapons. Of course, the Reach AI can hit you with one from 200 meters away while you're sprinting...
And then some idiot decide that the PC can be headshotted by the AI in Reach. they can't do that in other Halos. And the AI has aim-assistance here too, a Skirmisher can headshot you from a long distance from full sprint.
And vehicles... they're so goddamn weak in Reach**. Not to mention them being just a tad too light.

These problems combined with weak map and encounter design do not make the game fun, compared to other Halos.

*I can deal with Halo 4 Prometheans without problems... though much better sandbox overall helps a lot, as does their passivity compared to Halo Reach AI.

**And in Halo 4. Want Halo 3 vehicles back, or at least something like them. Or indestructible vehicles a la Halo CE.

EDIT one more complaint: The space section in Halo Reach is absolutely horrible.
And Reach is the only Halo game that is weak even in co-op.

Should've been a PM zoojoo.

//==========

Rewatching this Halo 2 stream is pretty cool. Look how fast he can take out the Sword and slice bitches up.. No dexterity, no bullshit long equipping time like in Halo 3.

Halo needs to be faster in all aspects of the game, and I'm not talking about superfluous gameplay additions like sprint. If sprint is to remain, at least make the transition A LOT faster. We're super soldier Spartans, no reason to make the game sluggish when a majority of the fans have been wanting a faster Halo anyway.

Also, Halo 2 is no where near as visually appealing as CE was. Halo 3 at least brought some color "pop" back to Halo.

Oh, forgot to welcome the newbie.

c12yoej881qtl2i6g.jpg

lmfao CHAMPION gif

It's like watching a football game from home vs going to the stadium. Do I see the football action from home? Yes, I can see it very well actually, and I get different angles and instant replay. Is it the same thing as going to the game? No; it lacks the passion, the energy, the excitement of what makes the games great.

Your analogies never disappoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom