• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
Ah, a question:
What kind scifi does HaloGAF like in general? You all probably like scifi for you play Halo (unless you play it for multiplayer gameplay alone...)
Military scifi? Space opera? Planetary romance? One with a lot of technical descriptions etc.? Hard scifi? Soft scifi? Social/sociology/psychology oriented scifi? Exploration? Or anything else?

EDIT I mean regardless of media. Books, TV, films, games, whatever.

Ghazi

Anyone actually play Halo anymore?

For realz, I wish people did get togethers here more often. While I understand there are conflicting schedules, time zones, and duties, it'd be great if the thread had a more casual invitation for playing with one another.

People just saying "anyone want to play right now?" or "I'll be on at 9 PM tonight, anyone want to play some matches?" would be nice. Unfortunately not many people seem to play it that often now, in comparison to the amount of party ups there seemed to have been back in the Halo 2/3 times :/

FYC

Banned
For realz, I wish people did get togethers here more often. While I understand there are conflicting schedules, time zones, and duties, it'd be great if the thread had a more casual invitation for playing with one another.

People just saying "anyone want to play right now?" or "I'll be on at 9 PM tonight, anyone want to play some matches?" would be nice. Unfortunately not many people seem to play it that often now, in comparison to the amount of party ups there seemed to have been back in the Halo 2/3 times :/

I'd love to join you guys in Reach, if that's cool, but I need to pick up a new disc. My brothers collection is scratched to hell and back, it's a miracle I managed to even finish the campaign when I played through the entire series earlier this year.

I've only played a few matches in Reach, it'd be fun to go back and dive into it some more. I'll try and buy and a cheap copy.

wwm0nkey

Ah, a question:
What kind scifi does HaloGAF like in general? You all probably like scifi for you play Halo (unless you play it for multiplayer gameplay alone...)
Military scifi? Space opera? Planetary romance? One with a lot of technical descriptions etc.? Hard scifi? Soft scifi? Social/sociology/psychology oriented scifi? Exploration? Or anything else?
Im in for pretty much all sci-fi but if I had to choose a setting desolate spaceship exploration / horror is the best thing in the universe. System Shock 2 was like heaven for me.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, a question:
I'm a big fan of women and feminist sci-fi authors (cue incredulous Tawpgun response). I'm a pretty politically minded person, and sci-fi that is just "status quo in space" usually bores me. Octavia Butler is my all time favorite, but I'm also into Ursula K Le Guin, Marge Piercy, Toni Morrison, etc. I recently learned about afrofuturism and I'm slowly getting into that, too.

But seriously, everyone should read Octavia Butler. If you're into sci-fi, I'd recommend Dawn or Wild Seed. If you're not so into sci-fi, I'd recommend Kindred.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm a big fan of women and feminist sci-fi authors (cue incredulous Tawpgun response). I'm a pretty politically minded person, and sci-fi that is just "status quo in space" usually bores me. Octavia Butler is my all time favorite, but I'm also into Ursula K Le Guin, Marge Piercy, Toni Morrison, etc. I recently learned about afrofuturism and I'm slowly getting into that, too.

But seriously, everyone should read Octavia Butler. If you're into sci-fi, I'd recommend Dawn or Wild Seed. If you're not so into sci-fi, I'd recommend Kindred.

I recognize Ursula Le Guin. Others... never heard of them. Can't recall seeing their names either, but then that doesn't mean anything really.

BTW, if someone wonders why i ask: curiosity. And a kind of "survey".

Ghazi

I'd love to join you guys in Reach, if that's cool, but I need to pick up a new disc. My brothers collection is scratched to hell and back, it's a miracle I managed to even finish the campaign when I played through the entire series earlier this year.

I've only played a few matches in Reach, it'd be fun to go back and dive into it some more. I'll try and buy and a cheap copy.

Of course, I looked it up on GameStop and copies of Reach are selling for $12 a piece there. So, I'm it'll be same price or similar in your area.

I think I'm going to buy 4 again, so I can participate in the H4 customs.

Ora

Banned
Ah, a question:

I like Mass Effect. Bangin every female member (Liara
Kreygasm.png
) of my team is a great feeling. More games need to empower you like that.

Same feeling here.
It seems the Halo 4 Essential Visual Guide has a lot of small stuff, like this.

The Didact's full name? Wut? *goes to Halopedia*

Shadow-of-Sundered-Star iirc.

Ah, a question:

Bolded accordingly. I don't read much, though - last major sci-fi book I read was 2001: A Space Odyssey and whatever the name of the sequel that takes place in 2010 is, both of which I did back in 2008.

TheXbox

Ah, a question:

Anything that has to with spaceships or the future, I'm in.

I'll do it, I tried it for just HaloGAF.

Just join up, there are plenty of people without the Champions Bundle, just play.
Okay, I'll try to get in one of these days. I don't have XBL gold, anymore so if I can still do that 1 month for $1 thing I'll give it a shot.

I say we do it. Just get on r/Halo and ect and do it on a day most people are off like a Sunday.

Also remind everyone to use DSfix to use unsupported resolutions and to unlock FPS to play at a locked 60 or even 120fps.

(Seriously though 120FPS Halo 2 on a 120hz monitor with lightboost on is the greatest thing ever)
What's this DSfix for Halo 2 all about? I thought that was just for Dark Souls? I'm currently using 4x SGSSAA. And what's this business about unlocking the framerate? Framerate is already unlocked for me, I have to use Vsync to lock it to 60.

And I work every Sunday, so if ya'll did it on Sunday I'd be mighty sad.

Of course, I looked it up on GameStop and copies of Reach are selling for $12 a piece there. So, I'm it'll be same price or similar in your area.

I think I'm going to buy 4 again, so I can participate in the H4 customs.
This sounds fun.

People still play Reach?

Tawpgun

Well unlike you I don't prefer one genders authors over the other you sexist pig!

Fuchsdh

edit: Anyone read the whole of Escalation #2 yet? Thoughts?

Finished it just now. On the art front, it's definitely improved--looks like a lot of the issues were purely rushing time. Poses are a little stilted for the Spartans. It crams a lot into its pages, and there's a lot of action--they do a kind of funny "two minutes later" thing halfway through because they can't afford to show more action :p

Spartan Ray (yeah not the greatest name) gets a lot of time in the book. Her abilities include saving Lasky's bacon, communications, and having long hair that still magically fits in her helmet, no probs.

Nebula

I like Mass Effect. Bangin every female member (Liara
Kreygasm.png
) of my team is a great feeling. More games need to empower you like that.

I'll quote something my friend said in Facebook chat a few days ago:

well at least the romance partner - that i didn't know i even had until i was balls-deep in blue ass because apparently EA also restricts access to females for developers so they don't know how relationships work - survived so there's that fucking shit.
how do you make 2.9 brilliant games and then absolutely decimate it all in the last .1

Seriously had me on the floor laughing.

Madness

Was Ashley myself in the first game, but once Yvonne/Miranda was in ME2, it was over then. Kept her for ME3 too. But I did also play Don Juan and have save files where I hooked up with Liara in ME1, again after the Shadow Broker stuff in 2 and they really pushed her in 3. I even hooked up with Kelly Chambers who was the yeoman in a save file too.

Well unlike you I don't prefer one genders authors over the other you sexist pig!

Liking men is invasive because they're already a majority though. You're culturally appropriating the cisevolutionary rights to a biologically flawed component of our otherwise great, tumblr-founded chain of primordial evolution.

male sux

Madness

Ah, a question:

I really love military science fiction. Nothing gets me rock hard than reading or seeing massive military buildup and than a full scale bombardment, invasion, colonization and subjugation of an alien race. I was cheering for the humans in Avatar, and not the N'avi.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've been meaning to get into some of the sci-fi classics, which are almost all written by dudes. I like Asimov and Bradbury alright, but I haven't read many others. I've been thinking about giving Rendezvous with Rama a try soon.

I really love military science fiction. Nothing gets me rock hard than reading or seeing massive military buildup and than a full scale bombardment, invasion, colonization and subjugation of an alien race. I was cheering for the humans in Avatar, and not the N'avi.
I don't like you.

Ramirez

Rock hard, huh? Tell me more.

I've been meaning to get into some of the sci-fi classics, which are almost all written by dudes. I like Asimov and Bradbury alright, but I haven't read many others. I've been thinking about giving Rendezvous with Rama a try soon.

Good series of books but go ahead and give Light of Other Days a try, collaboration by Arthur C Clarke and Stephen Baxter. Great hard sci-fi book. Also Moonseed by Baxter is solid too (posted the same in another GAF thread about sci-fi books).

If you're leaning towards Rama then go the continuation of 2001 series as well with 2061 & 3001, solid reads too and more "finishing details" than Rama series IMO.

Boy, I must have read Beloved all wrong.

Sci-Far? Harder (as opposed to fantasty-esque) is usually better. Military elements are good.

For novels, I like the not at all to moderately cerebral classics (if I'm going in for fiction, I don't want it to turn into a philosophical masturbation). Arthur C. Clarke, Asimov, Niven, etc. TV and movies I'm less picky, I find most Sci Fi that gets made to be pretty decent. Favorite non-Halo universe would have to be UC Gundam, since it's unabashedly dark and because robots.

EDIT: The original Rendezvous with Rama was great, but the subsequent sequels that were written mostly by whatshisface left a bad taste in my mouth because (Rama sequel-only spoilers)
"God did it" should never be the conclusion to a hard sci fi story IMO
. He took out all the mystery in the clunkiest way.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me or has your avatar been sporadically changing over the past few days?
I did the real pic thing for a day, but decided I wasn't into it.

Good series of books but go ahead and give Light of Other Days a try, collaboration by Arthur C Clarke and Stephen Baxter. Great hard sci-fi book. Also Moonseed by Baxter is solid too (posted the same in another GAF thread about sci-fi books).

If you're leaning towards Rama then go the continuation of 2001 series as well with 2061 & 3001, solid reads too and more "finishing details" than Rama series IMO.
Cool, thanks for the recommendations. I read 2001 and one or two of it's sequels a decade ago, but I don't remember much about them. I also just remembered I read the Dune series last summer! Probably my favorite sci-fi written by a guy.

EDIT: The original Rendezvous with Rama was great, but the subsequent sequels that were written mostly by whatshisface left a bad taste in my mouth because (Rama sequel-only spoilers)
"God did it" should never be the conclusion to a hard sci fi story IMO
. He took out all the mystery in the clunkiest way.
Yeah, the 2003 Battletstar Galactica series pulled that shit, and it was so maddening. [Edit : The Master Chief geas stuff in Halo 4 is frustrating for the same reasons.]

Lol, I was only kidding...
Me too ;-)

I've been into the Wild Cards series the last few weeks or so and I'm really enjoying it. Most of them are mosaic novels written by a bunch of New Mexican authors (both men and women) and edited together to make one narrative universe by George RR Martin. I think it works really well and it's really interesting to have the different perspectives for different characters mostly written by different authors.

For those that don't know, it's an alternate history (post 1946) where an alien virus has altered the genetics of most it comes into contact with. 90% of those affected don't survive, but those that do usually fall into two categories: Jokers (9 out of 10 survivors) are negatively changed, usually malformed in some unfortunate way (ex: extra limbs, missing limbs, reptilian skin, etc) and become much of the slums of society and Aces, who gain abilities (super strength, mind powers, etc) and often end up superstars and powerful political agents. The books are cool because, other than the Wild Card virus, they stay mostly grounded in our reality. Stuff like the HUAC still happens and Aces/Jokers are questioned similarly to commies. Most of humanity's wars and conflicts still happen despite these powerful individuals who try to prevent them. Lots of interesting commentary on what exactly is "being human" as well as social commentary.

If we're talking movies, I really like ones that pose a question about the human condition, moralities, or limits. Of course, action sci-fi is still fun for fun's sake.

Cool, thanks for the recommendations. I read 2001 and one or two of it's sequels a decade ago, but I don't remember much about them. I also just remembered I read the Dune series last summer! Probably my favorite sci-fi written by a guy.

Yeah, the 2003 Battletstar Galactica series pulled that shit, and it was so maddening.

Fuuuuuck the ending to BSG. Dune sequels got too... weird and/or dense for me. I think I read the synopsis of all of them on a wiki binge instead.

Every Halo fan should read Ringworld though, just to say they have, and it's a fun book anyway.

Excuse my crappy interjection, seems my fears about the Steam controller are coming true... A controller for FPS or platformer should be perfectly playable by your average gamer after 30 minutes of hands on time. Especially gaming press who play with many controllers and game genres. We need to see a COD or Halo or similar played with this controller in a real online game.

Aside from the above they really need to colour code the buttons for usability and produce a better material finish/colour for the final product.

Chettlar

Banned
Hi, HaloGAF!

So like, I really like how NeoGAF approves everybody in batches. When I saw a couple other dudes get approved I was like..."Oh boy oh yes, pleaseohpleaseohplease."

See, I missed the December batch because I used an email that, while a paid email, still isn't technically valid. So the effect now was double, having had to try again.

Anyway.

I'm actually somewhat new to Halo. I've only gotten into it with in the last two years or so, but it feels like I've known it forever. I was introduced to it with Combat Evolved and Reach and I have to say, those two remain my favorites.

I didn't play a whole lot of halo till recently because I grew up mostly a PC gamer (if a gamer at all), but finally, after having played Halo with one of my brothers (I'm pretty positive he has a GAF account), I was like...ok yeah I'm getting a console.

So...you'd think Halo got me to get a 360 over a PS3 right? Nope, though that was probably the second most important factor.

It was actually
Viva Pinata. I absolutely adore that game. I would do terrible things to get another (non-F2P) sequel.

---

I thought I'd post mainly in here since gaming side is probably not the safest place for a junior atm. I mean, I will definitely be taking my membership on here very seriously and thus try to be the best poster I can be, but still, better safe than sorry and all that.

Ghazi

Hi, HaloGAF!

So like, I really like how NeoGAF approves everybody in batches. When I saw a couple other dudes get approved I was like..."Oh boy oh yes, pleaseohpleaseohplease."

See, I missed the December batch because I used an email that, while a paid email, still isn't technically valid. So the effect now was double, having had to try again.

Anyway.

I'm actually somewhat new to Halo. I've only gotten into it with in the last two years or so, but it feels like I've known it forever. I was introduced to it with Combat Evolved and Reach and I have to say, those two remain my favorites.

I didn't play a whole lot of halo till recently because I grew up mostly a PC gamer (if a gamer at all), but finally, after having played Halo with one of my brothers (I'm pretty positive he has a GAF account), I was like...ok yeah I'm getting a console.

So...you'd think Halo got me to get a 360 over a PS3 right? Nope, though that was probably the second most important factor.

It was actually
Viva Pinata. I absolutely adore that game. I would do terrible things to get another (non-F2P) sequel.

---

I thought I'd post mainly in here since gaming side is probably not the safest place for a junior atm. I mean, I will definitely be taking my membership on here very seriously and thus try to be the best poster I can be, but still, better safe than sorry and all that.

Welcome to the beginning of the end.

Karl2177

Holy damn, I never passed the first chapter on legendary, congrats!!
Nice. Never got past the pelican hangars on the first mission on Legendary.

Halo 2 Anniversary pls.
Thanks :) H2A with post-patch multiplayer is the only thing in the world that would get me to blindly buy an Xbone.

You're a masochist.

Still, would really love to do a Halo 2 PC customs day though.
Same. Tough to organize though. Would have to be Halo community wide, not just HaloGAF. We'd have a set a date way early in advance and stick to it. It can be done though.
Totally. The biggest issue is that we don't know the exact cutoff date for H2V. We could plan something and suddenly no one can connect because they've shut down GFWL.

Does it have co-op campaign over internet? And can someone get the Scarab Gun for me? I think that's the only achievement I don't have. I tried superjumping to it and couldn't get it. Tried taking the banshee but I got frustrated and gave up.

No co-op over internet. There's an easier method than superjumping or the Banshee. Basically, you go get the Sputnik skull on QZ. Then you play through Metropolis(I just get in the Hog and run past everything) until the Scarab assault. Then you grab a rocket and zip to where the corner where the Scarab turns towards the sea. There's a small crate hiding behind one of the pillars. Push it towards where you came from and then stand on it. Fire a rocket towards the ground a bit and you'll go sailing. This video shows it better than I can describe it.

Hi, HaloGAF!

Anyway.

It was actually

---

Good luck, and welcome aboard. :) And yes, Viva Pinata is quite amazing, I want a Viva Pinata 3 so badly. Always hope Rare is working on either Banjo-Threeie or Viva Pinata 3 when Rare announces they have a game to reveal.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Thanks :) H2A with post-patch multiplayer is the only thing in the world that would get me to blindly buy an Xbone.

Totally. The biggest issue is that we don't know the exact cutoff date for H2V. We could plan something and suddenly no one can connect because they've shut down GFWL.

No co-op over internet. There's an easier method than superjumping or the Banshee. Basically, you go get the Sputnik skull on QZ. Then you play through Metropolis(I just get in the Hog and run past everything) until the Scarab assault. Then you grab a rocket and zip to where the corner where the Scarab turns towards the sea. There's a small crate hiding behind one of the pillars. Push it towards where you came from and then stand on it. Fire a rocket towards the ground a bit and you'll go sailing. This video shows it better than I can describe it.

That's a good point! I'll dig around and see if I can find a date or something.

Hi, HaloGAF!

Anyway.

It was actually

---

Welcome!

Color the buttons? Holy defend the casual Ozman.

It's not just for casuals mate. For example my son plays Skylanders and will be moving onto Halo etc soon enough. While he's playing I can just call a colour button out and he takes a quick glance then executes very well indeed. It's the same with the misses when she plays a new game etc. Surely Steam want to support new players to various genres and colour coding is a simplistic way to what is actually a very complex series of movements and interactivity to get down. We've all grown up on this so it's a no brainer for regular gamers but it is getting more complex with each generation.

My misses can beat me at Tennis, Tiger woods etc but put her in a Halo game and she struggles to use two thumbsticks and buttons etc all at once. There's a reason I started my son on NES/SNES/iPad as the complexity of game/controller is less and seriously he trounces other kids his age because I eased him into the more complex controls/games. Making him use M+KB early on is something most kids his age don't even have a clue how to do either.

Colour coding does absolutely nothing to hinder pros or hardcore or veteran players but without colours it alienates new gamers and casuals or potentially more buyers. It's poor design at best and probably intentionally left out for the moment to avoid a lawsuit against PS/XB controller designs.

After all what would you describe for a Steam programmable controller with all the same colour buttons? Hey son just hit button #19 in the upper top left on the face of the controller but in one button...The same goes for friends who come over, they could be hardcore pros but you have a custom layout, so you state red is this, blue is this and it's easy. Don't mistake easy of usability for casual.

Chettlar

Banned
Good luck, and welcome aboard. :) And yes, Viva Pinata is quite amazing, I want a Viva Pinata 3 so badly. Always hope Rare is working on either Banjo-Threeie or Viva Pinata 3 when Rare announces they have a game to reveal.

I will die of anticipation when that comes out. I don't care what happens; someday when I'm rich and famous and can make video games, I will personally direct a Viva Pinata game.

And thanks for the welcomes guys!

Hi, HaloGAF!

Anyway.

It was actually

---

Welcome to HaloGAF!

The Second Great Kerning is upon us.

"It feels like it did before..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom