• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I will die of anticipation when that comes out. I don't care what happens; someday when I'm rich and famous and can make video games, I will personally direct a Viva Pinata game.

And thanks for the welcomes guys!

OMG stop posting so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Chettlar

Banned
Hey buddy, I'm going to give you some friendly advice, you are kind of posting a lot, and I know first-hand that some people here aren't too fond of that sort of thing.

I know you are excited to be part of the community and such, and I was the same way when I joined HaloGAF. Just slow down a bit, take time to just read it. You don't need to respond to every post on here.

Some helpful hints that I use is:

-Think before you post. Ask yourself "Do I really need to respond to this post, or will someone else hit on the points that I was already going to make?" If you don't think it's essential to advancing the discussion, hold off replying. Always second guess your post before you click the button.

-Branch out into different communities. NeoGAF is a wonderous place and full of many different threads and sub-communities, and there's sure to be a fit for you. It'd also keep you from posting so much here, when there are other places to post as well. Use the Subscriptions feature!

-Just sort of observe the general flow of the conversation, and get acclimated to the climate. This one is kind of hard to explain, but just sort of observe for a while and get a feel for how people are posting, their frequency, and subject matter. It's kind of disrupting when we're talking about Halo lore and someone chimes in with "I just got a Perfection in BTB Swat!"

-Avoid using in-crowd memes like #HGS and Tashi Ceiling. It looks weird and tacky. It's fine doing it once in a while as a joke, but it's not very conducive to discussion.

All of these will help you being compared to a crappy poster known as zoojoo. Trust me, you'll thank me later.

:)

I will take these into consideration, thank you. Seem like good general advice. I'm new to gaf, but I am not new to forums. I mean, I was a moderator once.

Still, I'm excited, so if I post more than you like, it'll probably subside fairly shortly.

EDIT: ^ lol

It's not just for casuals mate. For example my son plays Skylanders and will be moving onto Halo etc soon enough. While he's playing I can just call a colour button out and he takes a quick glance then executes very well indeed. It's the same with the misses when she plays a new game etc.

Surely Steam want to support new players to various genres and colour coding is a simplistic way to what is actually a very complex series of movements and interactivity to get down. We've all grown up on this and it's just getting more complex.

My misses can beat me at Tennis, Tiger woods etc but put her in a Halo game and she struggles to use two thumbsticks and buttons etc all at once.

There's a reason I started by son on NES/SNES as the complexity of game/controller is less and seriously he trounces other kids his age because I eased him into the more complex controls/games.

It does absolutely nothing to hinder pros or hardcore or veteran plays but without alienates new gamers and casuals. It's poor design at best and probably intentionally left out for the moment to avoid a lawsuit against PS/XB controller designs.

After all what would you describe for a programmable controller with all the same colour buttons? Hey son just hit button #19 in the upper top left on the face of the controller...

What are you talking bout? Nobody ever says hit the Yellow button they say hit X, Y, A, B, Left trigger Right trigger. They label the buttons with letters and letters/numbers/shapes and then the people can hit those buttons.

blamite

I think the main argument for color-coded buttons is that it makes for a much more usable UI, you can identify a button prompt much more quickly based on color than if you had to actually look at it closely and see what letter it is.

Chettlar

Banned
What's a little silly is that in order to get out of junior territory, you have to post, so juniors have an incentive to post banal stuff just to up their count.

Indeed. I was thinking about that.

This post was brought to you by Chettlar's insane desire to get his post count up without having to venture into dangerous territory (namely gaming side).

Naw I'll post in gaming side not to long from now.

What are you talking bout? Nobody ever says hit the Yellow button they say hit X, Y, A, B, Left trigger Right trigger. They label the buttons with letters and letters/numbers and then the people can hit those buttons.

Same purpose, the Steam controller doesn't have either colour or letters. It's just all the same lack of descriptor. Poor usability and terrible design.

I think the main argument for color-coded buttons is that it makes for a much more usable UI, you can identify a button prompt much more quickly based on color than if you had to actually look at it closely and see what letter it is.

Stealth QTE shill post ;) Too right mate another good point but the best design is as PS/XB have now; both colour and letters. Oh look variety to cater to difference audiences/uses
couldn't resist

Fuchsdh

Same purpose, the Steam controller doesn't have either colour or letters. It's just all the same lack of descriptor. Poor usability and terrible design.

Stealth QTE shill post ;) Too right mate another good point.

I dunno. I guess I should keep an open mind since I'm an Apple fan and they regularly break into markets with stuff I wouldn't think would fly. But I can't help but think the only reason this will have any legs is the Android-inspired "anyone can make one", and even then it's not going to be any game-changer in the industry.

Ghazi

I don't like any of you.

CUgjj6C.gif

Thats weird the Steam controller I saw had BAXY buttons (Did it remove that labeling?), then it had a two trackpads that I assumed would work default as move and look and it had bumpers and triggers on top (all of which dont need to be named because there side can be used to label it "left trigger, left bumper" etc)...along with menu buttons but they threw them on the bottom instead of up top like the Xbox and PS4 controllers. So its really not that different its just a ton more customizeable. It seems aimed at PC gamers, console gamers who would like to take the next step. Thing is it doesn't seem any more complicated of a controller by default than the console controllers. It just seems to have options attached to it. Which is probably nice.

Then again who knows, nobody seems to be doing anything that makes sense anymore.

Thats weird the Steam controller I saw had BAXY buttons (Did it remove that labeling?), then it had a two trackpads that I assumed would work default as move and look and it had bumpers and triggers on top (all of which dont need to be named because there side can be used to label it "left trigger, left bumper" etc)...along with menu buttons but they threw them on the bottom instead of up top like the Xbox and PS4 controllers. So its really not that different its just a ton more customizeable. It seems aimed at PC gamers, console gamers who would like to take the next step. Thing is it doesn't seem any more complicated of a controller by default than the console controllers. It just seems to have options attached to it. Which is probably nice.

Then again who knows, nobody seems to be doing anything that makes sense anymore.

I know what we're seeing are only prototypes to the final release version so we have to leave room for that. However in any of the images or video I've seen I haven't noticed the labels you describe, if you've had hands on time then I take your word over my easily mate. Perhaps the labels are quite small so I can't see them.

I love the idea of fully programmable and downloadable profiles for the controller, that is great design and I'm not in disagreement with you on that feature nor do I consider the controller far more complicated than a PS4/XB1 controller. It's just these niggly design elements have to be nailed down IMO.

Here's a solid Q&A with the Valve industrial designer behind the controller.

@Sub-Zero - you got me again, now I owe you one.

Omni

wlGkZPF.png

I've now beaten it on the OG Xbox and the PC. I'm gonna do a write up on the Legendary Campaign tonight. But for now, it's time to celebrate with food.

There's an actual glitch you can do for Halo 2 Vista by moving all of the level files elsewhere and copying the opening movie 14 times (renaming each one to have the different level name). That way when you start the campaign on Legendary, you can just watch the movie 15 times and get the achievement.

Not saying I did it myself, but there is a slight chance that I may have done so on Gravemind. Seriously. Fuck Brutes.

Over the weekend I was totally owning these guys in H4. Went 33-5 in a three on 1.

Against my 9 year old and 2 of his friends for his birthday, 4 player split screen. Not to worry, I let them come back against my awesome and beat me in a close match later in the evening.

Madness

I never gave much thought to color coding in controllers. I usually have good finger/muscle memory. And so don't really look down to see what I hit. In fact my controller right now is the silver transforming dpad one that they had for a little while when it was new. All the buttons are just shades of grey.

blamite

Yeah normally I wouldn't think color coding would be a big deal but the Steam controller just has the ABXY buttons in really unusual positions and with kind of counter-intuitive shapes (the button that looks like an arrow pointing up and right is actually on the upper left):

4RSVJZ8l.jpg

Karl2177

There's an actual glitch you can do for Halo 2 Vista by moving all of the level files elsewhere and copying the opening movie 14 times (renaming each one to have the different level name). That way when you start the campaign on Legendary, you can just watch the movie 15 times and get the achievement.

Not saying I did it myself, but there is a slight chance that I may have done so on Gravemind. Seriously. Fuck Brutes.

... really? Fuck, I wasted my time. I spent like 30 minutes attempting to do the invisibility glitch on Gravemind, then decided to just quit and do the H2 done segmented method. Took me like 3 hours.

Duji

... really? Fuck, I wasted my time. I spent like 30 minutes attempting to do the invisibility glitch on Gravemind, then decided to just quit and do the H2 done segmented method. Took me like 3 hours.

At least you can tell yourself you got it legit. I attempted it awhile back but then bailed out after a few missions. Very, very time consuming and difficult.

I don't get it...

Oh, anyways MastrBiggy, just realized I randomly got put in your squad in BF4 yesterday on Xbox One, and we played a few games together. Good games, man. :)

Amazing, that was ridiculously simple. I refuse to put myself through that ordeal again.

Nowise10

So is all of Halogaf really this bad a campaign you need to exploit a glitch in order to complete it on Legendary?
Yikes. I think I may just play Halo 2 on Legendary this weekend, give me something to do.

So is all of Halogaf really this bad a campaign you need to exploit a glitch in order to complete it on Legendary?
Yikes. I think I may just play Halo 2 on Legendary this weekend, give me something to do.

Proud to say I did it all legit, but the question is why does it bother you?

Ora

Banned

You're hella good. Halo 2 Legendary in a weekend? Damn.

Madness

I did it when I was 18, I won't do it again EVER. I don't have the time nor the patience. Sorry if that isn't up to your standards. I give Karl major props for doing it legit. Hell I didn't even beat Halo 4 on Legendary or even try. And my Reach save vanished one day when I was nearly 85% done. Why do something I legitimately get no enjoyment from anymore?

Been there, done that, straight up unfun. Exploit all the glitches.

Halo 2 is considered that hard by so many? I didn't think that was a common opinion at all, I loved Halo 2's difficulty, felt just right besides a few spots, like any Halo game.

Omni

I've done it on the original Xbox + on the 360. It was a lot harder (if that's even possible) on PC though... namely due to the mouse and keyboard. Had to glitch the final three levels because of Brutes.

Might give it another go sooner or later. Finally got a wired controller the other day actually

HTupolev

Halo 2 is considered that hard by so many? I didn't think that was a common opinion at all, I loved Halo 2's difficulty, felt just right besides a few spots, like any Halo game.
It's not the raw difficulty, it's the stupid ways in which the difficulty is produced. It's not challenging, it's just dumb.

The damage tables are cranked way up, and the aim assist and ability to kill enemies quickly is cranked way up. The result is tons and tons of extremely lethargic cover shooting. Then throw in lots of memorization and RNG from stuff like jackal snipers. Ugh.

The weird thing is that the opening spots on Oracle actually become decent. Instead of being boring firefighty areas of nothingness, they become intense maneuvering fights with an awesome oppressive atmosphere. (Still can't save Oracle from being a meh experience on legendary, unbelievably stupidly designed Halo 2 boss fights...)

Omni

Halo 2 Anniversary should include the E3 demo levels.

People need to let this go. They weren't finished. They weren't even that good... just different. Only thing worth salvaging is the BR with selective fire (zoom in = single shot).

I'll take legit on all my Halo stuffs, never glitched anything except BXR & RRX in MM as you had to. Oh and 4's fucked up campaign glitches that has halted me finishing the Mammoth mission 3 times on legendary. Only game I have done legendary on and I can't be arsed doing it again just to have it glitch the mission again.

Halo 2 legendary apart from Jackal snipers was pretty awesome. I hope bullet sponges are a thing of the past next gen.

People need to let this go. They weren't finished. They weren't even that good... just different. Only thing worth salvaging is the BR with selective fire (zoom in = single shot).

Cough...light rifle. I'll never let go of betchya can't stick it and expecting to play it or have it in a cutscene :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom