• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chettlar

Banned
I wish the Spartan 4's where at least supposed to be tactical and smart. The kind of stuff you hear modern day seal teams pull would be amazing to watch/ play. Yet for some reason we have people running at the enemy firing shotguns in the cut-scenes.

Yes, I think modeling them after modern day Seal teams would be a fantastic idea.

It is, essentially, Spartan Ops season 2. It continues after Frankie threw Requiem into a sun.

It's also hilarious how no one talks about Master Chief, even in passing. This guy that comes back from the dead again and saves the Earth again - there should be fucking parades and shit in his honour. Something. Some kind of recognition for the main that stopped the greatest war the galaxy had ever seen and the one dude responsible for saving trillions of lives.

But no, he's seemingly not as important as fratboy dudebro Spartan IV.

They should be making some kind of reference, or hints, or cryptic cut-off whispers. Something.

This part makes me upset. Because now that 343 blew it...they can no longer fix it. Like, no matter what happens in later Halos, this part simply cannot be rectified. The part of him coming back has already past, so the time for reaction is also past. I mean, I'd love to see them prove me wrong, but I just can't see how that will happen.

Looks like that brute is wearing a brown lycra suit underneath the golden armor

Lol. And why is he twice as big as the chieftan dude?

Also, Palmer's skinny neck and the guy to the lycra brute's left are cracking me up.

It's really not. Traviss told the story she was paid to write. Just because she agree with some of the viewpoints expressed by the characters in the book, it in no way means she altered any of the characters to fit her own viewpoint.

Such a stupid accusation.

Compare the way Halsey is written in any of the Nylund books, to the way Traviss writes her.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Yes, I think modeling them after modern day Seal teams would be a fantastic idea.

This part makes me upset. Because now that 343 blew it...they can no longer fix it. Like, no matter what happens in later Halos, this part simply cannot be rectified. The part of him coming back has already past, so the time for reaction is also past. I mean, I'd love to see them prove me wrong, but I just can't see how that will happen.

Flashbacks.

I expect to see backstory of the Chief told during the next game or during a filler media thingie.

He has returned to Earth, not really his home, but he's a Hero, and in light of Halsey's convictions, a victim. The UNSC would be forcing him to be the Poster Boy of the post-war era. He doesn't have Cortana pulling strings for him any more.

My theory is, he wants to look for Cortana, believing she's out there somewhere in the Domain. Everyone will believe she's dead, but, I dunno, maybe he's just stubborn. The UNSC can't do much in terms of support - why would they when he's turning down being their perfect pin up, so he sets off alone.

I dunno, I think that sounds a bit too obvious. Too easy.

TheOddOne

jbkemrTCxEyq1c.png

640px-Gallery_pic_3447_0_30025.jpg

jos8MmOGj7oxt.png

Karl2177

"My BR is Promethean. It's got floating scopes and shit!"
w2a8Zzm.png

"This Brute is keeping me from telling whether I have a square shotgun or a poorly drawn Railgun."
kzMogjG.png

"I just joined the military. Is this how you hold the gun?"
30rHT8p.png

"Not sure if artist forgot which helmet I'm wearing or if my visor is trying to squint."
bncMt5u.png

Chettlar

Banned
Flashbacks.

I expect to see backstory of the Chief told during the next game or during a filler media thingie.

He has returned to Earth, not really his home, but he's a Hero, and in light of Halsey's convictions, a victim. The UNSC would be forcing him to be the Poster Boy of the post-war era. He doesn't have Cortana pulling strings for him any more.

My theory is, he wants to look for Cortana, believing she's out there somewhere in the Domain. Everyone will believe she's dead, but, I dunno, maybe he's just stubborn. The UNSC can't do much in terms of support - why would they when he's turning down being their perfect pin up, so he sets off alone.

I dunno, I think that sounds a bit too obvious. Too easy.

I like that idea though. That, I think, is how to do emotional conflict.

Dude! And that could work!!!

Everybody wants to hail Masterchief as some great ware hero. You could go crazy and have people be making Spartan and Masterchief merchandise off of him (sort of like Captain America, in a way). People want him to do all this stuff, and all he wants to do is just. find. cortana.

THAT, 343, is how you make an emotional story, while at the same time making Chief a human being. He just wants to be normal, and everyone wants him to be something he isn't. He's a soldier who has lost someone, not some great public hero.

That, I think, would also be a great way to make his story relatable. Many people have experienced others trying to make them something they aren't, tearing them from what they really want. Making that a person (cortana) is the perfect way to make that even more impactful.

You don't need to make a story complicated to make it good. Simplicity and relatability is much more impactful, and often all around just better.

PLEASE, 343, do something like this! Please, I know I criticize you guys a lot Frankie, but please, for the sake of Halo. I love Halo, despite the (relatively) short time I've had with it. There is so much potential, going in that area that I've attempted to describe.

Nowise10

I like that idea though. That, I think, is how to do emotional conflict.

Dude! And that could work!!!

Everybody wants to hail Masterchief as some great ware hero. You could go crazy and have people be making Spartan and Masterchief merchandise off of him (sort of like Captain America, in a way). People want him to do all this stuff, and all he wants to do is just. find. cortana.

This sounds like a pretty bad story.

Mistel

Banned
Yes, I think modeling them after modern day Seal teams would be a fantastic idea. Also, Palmer's skinny neck and the guy to the lycra brute's left are cracking me up.
I wouldn't base it solely on the US special forces, make it mix of all of them so it's not like COD is with it's characters. But the scout armor is never drawn well in any of these comics, at all it's a shame it's one of the best armor's in halo 4, gen 2 armor's don't look as good as the previous armors at all.

Why has Palmer's suit got orange light's, and that hazop look's like mark v scout helmet from the side?

Chettlar

Banned
This sounds like a pretty bad story.

It's not polished in any way. I'm trying to express some abstract ideas. I'm not talking literally make it like Captain America or anything stupid like that. But have some sort of conflict between them wanting him to be a soldier and be important, and him just wanting to find Cortana. That's the core of it, the rest is unimportant (meaning of my explanation). What is wrong with this?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Even the top part with the zero g? The rest of it was alright apart from the top bit. Warher have you done anymore of the rediolouged comic screens?

MLG's Zealot turns it into arguably the best map in the game. Not that that says a lot but I certainly enjoyed the games I played on it.

Chettlar

Banned
Please tell me I'm not alone in really liking the AR. Please.

I even like how it looks. So unique.

It's probably my favorite machine subgun to use in a video game. I enjoy it, whether others do or not. :/

Ghazi

It's probably my favorite machine gun to use. I enjoy it, whether others do or not. :/
Halo 1 AR is the best, followed by H3, and then H4 imo. Reach's sucks. (Talking about both appearance and usability in game)

Even the top part with the zero g? The rest of it was alright apart from the top bit. Warher have you done anymore of the rediolouged comic screens?

I'd love to do an Escalation Abridged sort of thing, but I have a feeling using scans with nothing but changed dialogue would be a bad idea. I think I've done four: the original derp spartans one, the "hazop jim" one, zealot, and then this.

iwrwUHiqVPl6D.png

It's probably my favorite machine gun to use. I enjoy it, whether others do or not. :/

i like it, hell i like using it. watch people in MM in halo and you can tell who's been playing longer. those that just rush with it, or those that burst fire it and use it in its intended playspace.

Chettlar

Banned
Halo 1 AR is the best, followed by H3, and then H4 imo. Reach's sucks. (Talking about both appearance and usability in game)

Reach's could have been a lot better, I agree. I'm not sure what's wrong with it exactly, but it isn't near as satisfying.

And Halo 2 doesn't have an AR? The hell went into deciding that?

i like it, hell i like using it. watch people in MM in halo and you can tell who's been playing longer. those that just rush with it, or those that burst fire it and use it in its intended playspace.

Depends, usually yeah, I'll do that latter, but sometimes, when you can tell the other guy's shields are low, and he's just turned around (and you have nothing but a pistol), yeah, rush and beat down (and then get the hell out of there, because you've probably just killed your shields) can work.

I think that's also partially why they made the BR. IN some ways, it's just a focus AR that forces you to shoot in bursts. When I first started Halo 3 multiplayer, all I would do is rush and beat down, so when BR's rolled around, I hated it, because I was so bad and could get a kill for anything. I forced myself to learn the BR, and consequently, realized that it was helping how I used the AR. It's still a different weapon, and should be used differently, but I still learned the value of short bursts.

And thus up went my K/D ratio.

which still sucks. :S

Tawpgun

Escalation art is like Halo bitstrips

It's probably my favorite machine subgun to use in a video game. I enjoy it, whether others do or not. :/

Looks like we have a new passenger on the bad opinion train.

Ghazi

Reach's could have been a lot better, I agree. I'm not sure what's wrong with it exactly, but it isn't near as satisfying.

And Halo 2 doesn't have an AR? The hell went into deciding that?

Well, they sorta replaced it with BR and SMGs. iirc it was over how the weapons behaved, they felt they didn't need it. Then it had it's glorious return in H3.

"My BR is Promethean. It's got floating scopes and shit!"

"This Brute is keeping me from telling whether I have a square shotgun or a poorly drawn Railgun."

"I just joined the military. Is this how you hold the gun?"

"Not sure if artist forgot which helmet I'm wearing or if my visor is trying to squint."

lol

I'm going shopping in a minute but when I get back I'm going to give myself 20 minutes and see if I can do better at drawing that scene than the artist. I am fairly confident that I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom