• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chettlar

Banned
Here's a comparison vid for to remind everyone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMt0roDocTg
Anniversary has the best looking+sound, 3 has good looks but weak sound, Reach is just plain awful. Halo 4 actually looks alright and has alright sound, so it gets a special mention there, I may even say it has better sound than 3's.

Bahahaha

The sound quality in Halo 4's is awesome, but I would change the melee sound to 3's.

Halo CE (original) sounds like somebody is beating on some oil drums with metal sticks.

Here's a comparison vid for to remind everyone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMt0roDocTg
Anniversary has the best looking+sound, 3 has good looks but weak sound, Reach is just plain awful. Halo 4 actually looks alright and has alright sound, so it gets a special mention there, I may even say it has better sound than 3's.

I actually like the look/sound of Halo 4's the best.

The shlichk-tak when he pulls back the ...thing at the end is great.

So here's the pistol...Most of them are....ew.

I love the animations in CEA though. Halo 4's pistol sounds horrible. Reach and 2 are ok, but 2 sounds weak. 3 probably sounds the best.

EDIT: Ew at the Halo 4 plasma pistol. Reach and 3 and CE have it best. 3 and CE sound best shooting, and Reach sounds best charging. 4's charging isn't horrible.

I do like the Needler in 4, though.

CEA has the best weapon sounds for the most part. All the weapons just feel good in that game. The thunderous BOOM of the sniper rifle in that game felt great. Reach has the best looking/sounding Plasma Pistol, but I think the CE PP was the most fun to use.

Chettlar

Banned

The shlichk-tak when he pulls back the ...thing at the end is great.

I love the animations in CEA though. Halo 4's pistol sounds horrible. Reach and 2 are ok, but 2 sounds weak. 3 probably sounds the best.

EDIT: Ew at the Halo 4 plasma pistol. Reach and 3 and CE have it best. 3 and CE sound best shooting, and Reach sounds best charging. 4's charging isn't horrible.

I do like the Needler in 4, though.

jelly

I like the AR in Halo CE and haven't really cared for it again. Wasn't too bad in Halo 4.

I hope the Halo 4 Warthog engine sound will be banished. Truly awful.

Then it had it's glorious return in H3.

H3 AR was crap. They made it sound like it was shooting popcorn. Reduced the clip size in half (64 to 32). It felt weak and had no range. AR rush with crazy H3 melee lunge was terrible..

IMO it goes CE > H4 > Reach > H3 - Funny how the CE AR had double the clip size but only took one second longer to fully unload.

EDIT:

RIP

Chettlar

Banned
H3 AR was crap. They made it sound like it was shooting popcorn. Reduced the clip size in half (64 to 32). It felt weak and had no range. AR rush with crazy H3 melee lunge was terrible..

IMO it goes CE > H4 > Reach > H3 - Funny how the CE AR had double the clip size but only took one second longer to fully unload.

I dislike Reach's AR, though. Not very satisfying to use, imo. If it had been my first impression of the AR, I probably would have cast it aside mentally.

CE > H4 (I do like Halo 4's feel, but then again, most of the guns in Halo 4 do feel great) > 3 > Reach.

Mistel

Banned
I'd love to do an Escalation Abridged sort of thing, but I have a feeling using scans with nothing but changed dialogue would be a bad idea. I think I've done four: the original derp spartans one, the "hazop jim" one, zealot, and then this.
It's no worse than a machinima that just does dialogue, so you should be covered by the fair usage rules.

I even like how it looks. So unique.
The only good looking AR is the MA37:
HaloReach_-_MA37.png

Chettlar

Banned
It's no worse than a machinima that just does dialogue, so you should be covered by the fair usage rules.

I like the one I posted more. ^ Looks less unique and more conventional.

Halo 3's is rather ugly. 4 and CEA did a good job, I thought.

Vico

Even the top part with the zero g? The rest of it was alright apart from the top bit. Warher have you done anymore of the rediolouged comic screens?

Well, that place was blocked off on most versions of the map, at some point. So I'd say I liked that map without the zero-grav part, since that's what I played the most.

Ghazi

The sound quality in Halo 4's is awesome, but I would change the melee sound to 3's.

Halo CE (original) sounds like somebody is beating on some oil drums with metal sticks.
It sounds so loud and thunderous I love it haha (CEs). 4s is pretty good, I agree.

I could see that and after not playing Anniversary for a while I thought the same, but recently I went through it again and I'm in love with it all over again.

CEA has the best weapon sounds for the most part. All the weapons just feel good in that game. The thunderous BOOM of the sniper rifle in that game felt great. Reach has the best looking/sounding Plasma Pistol, but I think the CE PP was the most fun to use.
Totally agree here

Reach AR?
Gagging.gif

Mistel

Banned
I like the one I posted more. ^ Looks less unique and more conventional..
Reach AR?
thw5rni4qj3p.gif

I like the more rugged look it has than the other AR's don't.
*brofist*
See i'm not the only one :p.

Well, that place was blocked off on most versions of the map, at some point. So I'd say I liked that map without the zero-grav part, since that's what I played the most.
I only played it a couple of times I always had sword base or powerhouse instead on the map screen. But the whole bit without zero g wasn't too bad.

RIP green recon you had no visor, missing arms, a bucket for a helmet and now you've been bisected.

gAg CruSh3r

I have to agree on this one. I would say Halo 4's looks ands sounds are amazing. Gameplay is not so good. It's playable but not very enjoyable.

My Halo 5 wish list would start with..

• Bigger campaign map layout. I want that same feeling when I played Halo CE's campaign.
  • Better AI.
  • Weapons are balance or able to be easily tweaked before Halo (5) launch.
  • Open Beta for Halo (5).
  • More Mid range battles in MM (Better gameplay IMO. (Weapons would need to be tweaked with less aim assist in long rang shots).
  • More flying vehicles. More vehicles in general.
  • Bigger Sand box items for Forge and better Forge Maps.
  • More custom options for custom games.
  • Better looking Armor. (Something that has different look to each part to the Armor set. So you can tell a difference from one player to another. In other words not so bland together.)
  • Better maps. More symmetrical and less asymmetrical. Unless they build the map for one side objectives. (Assault, 1 side CTF, I hope to see generator defense from Halo Reach to reappear again, and invasion.)
  • Fire fight > Spartan Assault but I would not mind both.
  • Visible Ranks. 1-50 or more?
  • More and fun Easter eggs to find. Ones that you would enjoy to go back into campaign to find.
  • skulls that you have to find to keep.

I might go back and edit and add more.. But that's the main ones I want to see.

Chettlar

Banned
Added stuff in bold.

I have to agree on this one. I would say Halo 4's looks ands sounds are amazing. Gameplay is not so good. It's playable but not very enjoyable.

My Halo 5 wish list would start with..

• Bigger campaign map layout. I want that same feeling when I played Halo CE's campaign. Also, make sure they aren't just big. An important part of CE is that you had to figure out how to do a lot of things. Like at one point in the campaign. you had to literally go steal a banshee however you could manage it to get to a certain platform. There was nothing telling you how to accomplish this. There is another part in Two Betrayals where, if you're good enough, you can run up and steal a banshee from a red elite before he gets inside it. That was sooo fun. I felt like I was doing something beyond just shooting aliens. Also, scarab battles in 3 were fun, but I feel like there could have been even more epic. Some more stuff like that in Halo would be awesome!
  • Better AI. Let's try: CE style AI, but improved even from there
  • Weapons are balance or able to be easily tweaked before Halo (5) launch. Yes. Also, please do to the sticky grenade launcher somebody earlier said: where it can act like C4 or like a grenade launcher depending on how you use it.
  • Open Beta for Halo (5). YES!
  • More Mid range battles in MM (Better gameplay IMO. (Weapons would need to be tweaked with less aim assist in long rang shots). I also think more small maps themselves should be in order.
  • More flying vehicles. More vehicles in general. Like the post that somebody posted earlier in this thread (was it funknown?) about TRON-like forerunner vehicles? *mouth waters*. JUST MAKE SURE THEY'RE FUN TO FLY AND FEEL HALO-Y.
  • Bigger Sand box items for Forge and better Forge Maps. That fake ViDOC about how horrible 4 Forge is is an excellent example of how to fix this
  • More custom options for custom games. Always always always
  • Better looking Armor. (Something that has different look to each part to the Armor set. So you can tell a difference from one player to another. In other words not so bland together.)
  • Better maps. More symmetrical and fewer asymmetrical maps. (meaning . Unless they build the map for one side objectives. (Assault, 1 side CTF, I hope to see generator defense from Halo Reach to reappear again, and invasion.)
  • Fire fight > Spartan Assault but I would not mind both. PUHLEEASE LET ME PLAY SPOPS WITHOUT AN INTERNET CONNECTION WHEN PLAYING BY MYSELF OR IN LOCAL CO-OP!!!! Hate, hate, hate the way it is now
  • Visible Ranks. 1-50 or more?
  • More and fun Easter eggs to find. Ones that you would enjoy to go back into campaign to find.
  • skulls that you have to find to keep. and a bunch more skulls to boot. More crazy ones. Some people were coming up with some awesome ideas for skulls in this thread a while ago.
  • Lighten up the mode just a bit. Like, Halo 5 can still be dark, but I want to hear more awesome/funny things from the enemies and marines. It's called "comic relief" for a reason. It's kind of a law of storytelling, and the original Halo's found a good way to give video games their own spin on the concept.
  • Return of Brutes and their weapons (mauler, bruteshot, something new as well)
  • Dual Wield

I might go back and edit and add more.. But that's the main ones I want to see.

That's just what I would add. Only added 3 completely new points.

thw5rni4qj3p.gif

I like the more rugged look it has than the other AR's don't.

I thought Halo 4's AR had a good balance or keeping to the original design while still making it look awesome.

I'm curious, Stinkles, if you're reading this, who was mainly responsible for things like the AR redesign for 4? I really, really like it.

Tawpgun

AR is terrible in 3, Reach and 4.

The Halo series has managed consistently make their main automatic weapon completely void of any level of engagement. Not challenging, not rewarding, unsatisfying to use.
This right here.

AR might be more viable in 4 than it ever has been but its still so boring too use and fight with.

jelly

Do you think free map DLC would be a smart decision for Halo 5 to give the community a jump or has playlist management along with maps and game play been the problem in Halo games?

I've never thought map DLC was a great idea. The health of the product should be long tailed main game sales at high prices and player retention

I understand they want extra revenue streams so would exchanging paid map DLC for paid armour and emblems be a decent idea, maybe even a user created content marketplace which Microsoft would get a cut from.

Ghazi

Do you think free map DLC would be a smart decision for Halo 5 to give the community a jump or has playlist management along with maps and game play been the problem in Halo games?

I've never thought map DLC was a great idea. The health of the product should be long tailed main game sales at high prices and player retention in the IP.

I understand they want extra revenue streams so would exchanging paid map DLC for paid armour and emblems be a decent idea, maybe even a user created marketplace as well with a cut.

Yes, make cosmetics microtransactions or paid and make map packs free. You fragment your playerbase with paid DLC packs. I think it's a great idea for map packs, they extend the life and support of the game, they just need to be free to do so.

Mistel

Banned
This right here.

AR might be more viable in 4 than it ever has been but its still so boring too use and fight with.
The AR in 4 is too easy to use it's unrewarding to kill someone with it, I've seen people just sprint around BTB maps with the thing.

But seriously, it's shaped very randomly and I love the smooth section and look of 1,3, & 4. Too good, Reach's just looks weird imo.
I don't know why but I prefer it visually, but I can see your view point though.

As for cosmetic's make things like skin's DLC, but everything should unlock through progression not by paying for it.

Chettlar

Banned
EDIT:

RIP

I never said I disliked how the Halo CE pistol handled and felt. I was talking about look and sound.

Halo CE is so great in part to the pistol. I loves it.

Halo 3 pistol is...useless. It's like the first thing you get rid of when you get the chance. True, you get something like the plasma pistol as a dual wield to take shields down and finish them off with a headshot (Love doing that), but guns should not be made weaker "since giezzz!!1 u can use them 2gether!!!" since, ya know, when dual wielding we no long have quick access to grenades.

I loved the CE pistol. That's a fact. I think CEA's probably looks the best, after going and looking at it, but I still think 3's sounds superior.

I don't know why but I prefer it visually, but I can see your view point though.

As for cosmetic's make things like skin's DLC, but everything should unlock through progression not by paying for it.

Well they need to do something like that because the current DLC model they use is a disaster.

Much rather have people pay for cosmetics if it means everyone gets new DLC maps than the current situation of them not existing in matchmaking even when you pay for maps.

Chettlar

Banned
The AR in 4 is too easy to use it's unrewarding to kill someone with it, I've seen people just sprint around BTB maps with the thing.

...Are you saying it's overpowered? What's wrong with being able to be successful with a certain type of gun? I know tons of other people who use the BR and DMR and are successful, and nobody says they are overpowered. Sure they require skill, but (at least this is the way it should be; I haven't played 4 MM), the AR is going to get you nowhere fast if you don't know how to use it. It was like that in 3. Anybody could use it, but you had to be able to use it well to get anywhere.

I agree.

I may be biased, since I generally like this particular style, but I thought the wood/gold skins were gorgeous. Do want.

I've never thought map DLC was a great idea. The health of the product should be long tailed main game sales at high prices and player retention

I understand they want extra revenue streams so would exchanging paid map DLC for paid armour and emblems be a decent idea, maybe even a user created content marketplace which Microsoft would get a cut from.

If they are going to charge for maps, they need to do two things:

1. Keep them cheep and accessable (also worth buying)
2. Slowly, progressively lock certain gametypes to "Need all DLC" or at least provide an option to only play with people who at least have the same maps as you. (Say, I have map packs 1 and 2, if I choose this options everybody with map packs 1, 2, and even 3 and whatever else, can play with me).
3. Six months after each map pack is released, it should become free, or at least super low priced (like a dollar or two).

IHaveIce

Banned
Pay for earyl access of maps, make them free after 2 weeks.
Sell weapon skins and dat shit to make dlc money.
Only cosmetical stuff should be up for sale, though I expect microsoft to put in microtransactions for Forge stuff.

And man if I made a list how I want the next Halo to be all I would get is just an enlightment that it would never happened and the next one would be again a disappointment. So I just wait.

Chettlar

Banned
Well they need to do something like that because the current DLC model they use is a disaster.

Much rather have people pay for cosmetics if it means everyone gets new DLC maps than the current situation of them not existing in matchmaking even when you pay for maps.

A good balance would be to make sure that there are an ample (and I mean ample, as in 25+ unique sets of armor).

Then have extra stuff, like misterchief armor, that people can buy separately. I could go for that.

Perhaps people who buy the limited edition of Halo 5 can get the misterchief armor for free:

Stinkles pls:

MisterChief1.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Pay for earyl access of maps, make them free after 2 weeks.
Sell weapon skins and dat shit to make dlc money.
Only cosmetical stuff should be up for sale, though I expect microsoft to put in microtransactions for Forge stuff.

And man if I made a list how I want the next Halo to be all I would get is just an enlightment that it would never happened and the next one would be again a disappointment. So I just wait.

2 weeks? Mostly everyone would wait unless they're super cheap and/or Midship.

That comic looks like shit IMO. Talk about milking the Halo franchise for everything its worth.
In terms of allowing the quality to dip I did see that IGN gave Spartan Assault a 5.8 / 10.
It can be a challenge when cranked up with modifiers, and the co-op has a faster and more entertaining pace to it. But with all the crashing and lame microtransactions, it’s kind of ridiculous that this is the first Halo game to appear on Microsoft’s next-generation console.

Computer

...Are you saying it's overpowered? What's wrong with being able to be successful with a certain type of gun? I know tons of other people who use the BR and DMR and are successful, and nobody says they are overpowered. Sure they require skill, but (at least this is the way it should be; I haven't played 4 MM), the AR is going to get you nowhere fast if you don't know how to use it. It was like that in 3. Anybody could use it, but you had to be able to use it well to get anywhere.

I agree.

I may be biased, since I generally like this particular style, but I thought the wood/gold skins were gorgeous. Do want.

If they are going to charge for maps, they need to do two things:

1. Keep them cheep and accessable (also worth buying)
2. Slowly, progressively lock certain gametypes to "Need all DLC" or at least provide an option to only play with people who at least have the same maps as you. (Say, I have map packs 1 and 2, if I choose this options everybody with map packs 1, 2, and even 3 and whatever else, can play with me).
3. Six months after each map pack is released, it should become free, or at least super low priced (like a dollar or two).

The Halo 4 AR is way over powered. It can beat out a 4 shot BR at medium rage in most cases. It is literally one of the easiest guns to use in all video game shooters. I get absolutely zero satisfaction out of killing players with it. The harder the weapon is to use the more satisfaction you should get out of the kill. That is why Halo montages are full of sniper no scopes not AR spray and pray kills.

That's so weird IGN says the game crashes, I've played SA for probably 15 hours now and I haven't had a single one. Review coming soon.

Mistel

Banned

DLC is not handled at all well, I've got nothing against cosmetic's being paid for especially if it means we get free maps (Speedy could fiance the whole thing :p), but there should still be a decent selection of armor on disc, not solely regulated to DLC.

I haven't played 4 MM
The AR in 4
62Rig23.gif

The AR in 4 is quite OP arguably better than the Saw, It beats the BR and Carbine at medium range which it shouldn't be able to do. It requires no skill to use what so ever.

Should I post that Automatic require skill thing from way point again?

CyReN

I wonder if IGN was using the beta game resume feature when it was crashing. I haven't had any problems for a few hours of play.

Chettlar

Banned
The Halo 4 AR is way over powered. It can beat out a 4 shot BR at medium rage in most cases. It is literally one of the easiest guns to use in all video game shooters. I get absolutely zero satisfaction out of killing players with it. The harder the weapon is to use the more satisfaction you should get out of the kill. That is why Halo montages are full of sniper no scopes not AR spray and pray kills.

I see what you mean. But I think it's fine for one weapon to beat out another in certain situations.

What you would think they would do is make it more inconsistent the farther out you go (that's how I would do it), but then people complain about that.

The only other option is to make it really weak except at really close range, in which case you might as well have the person have a shotgun.

You just can't win.

Well, I think you can. I think the AR can be balanced properly if they put their minds to it.

Tawpgun

Halo Reach AR was perfect. If you caught someone by surprise in close range you would beat them. AR + Melee wasn't a thing.

But the precision weapons still outclassed it in most situations as they should because they are more finesse weapons that are more fun and satisfying to use.

I played some Halo 4 TS with Tashi and friends earlier this week and we played a game against a bunch of AR users and it was a total
residentsleeper.png
even though we won by a lot.

My ideal AR is one the scrublets can still use while never being able to kill someone better than them unless they get the drop in close range

Chettlar

Banned
62Rig23.gif
:p
The AR in 4 is quite OP arguably better than the Saw, It beats the BR and Carbine at medium range which it shouldn't be able to do. It requires no skill to use what so ever.

I played several missions of campaign, and I liked it.

I said I hadn't played multiplayer because I hadn't played multiplayer.

I was going to play some LAN with people, but it wouldn't connect and told us we needed to connect to the interent (we were in a hotel that needed some password, and it wouldn't work), so we went back to 3 LAN.

Anybody know how to fix that? I'd love it if we could just, ya know, plug the consoles together and play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom