• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bored. Anyone wanna play halo?

Ugggh so tempting but friggin' life, man.

The AR in 4 is quite OP arguably better than the Saw, It beats the BR and Carbine at medium range which it shouldn't be able to do. It requires no skill to use what so ever.

Should I post that Automatic require skill thing from way point again?

I don't think you've been using the SAW correctly then...
pulse it like an SMG

DLC is not handled at all well, I've got nothing against cosmetic's being paid for especially if it means we get free maps (Speedy could fiance the whole thing :p), but there should still be a decent selection of armor on disc, not solely regulated to DLC.

Agreed on that. I just mean adding new sets of armor, weapon skins, emblems, other random bullshit as DLC that you can pay for, but get the maps for free.

Maybe you do a package where you pay for a content pack including new cosmetics and the coveted achievements with new maps. If you don't pay you only get the maps, no other new content including no new achievements.

Mistel

Banned
I don't think you've been using the SAW correctly then...
pulse it like an SMG
That's how I it use it, but random's just hold down the trigger :/ I should have been more clear. It's a shame that they don't pulse their shot's they 'wouldn't get killed by the AR if they did.

I guess i am on of the few who plays close combat in halo.
I enjoy close combat, but someone sprinting around Exile with an AR is just strange, that's more of a gripe with game play in halo 4 that the weapon itself.

Agreed on that. I just mean adding new sets of armor, weapon skins, emblems, other random bullshit as DLC that you can pay for, but get the maps for free.

Maybe you do a package where you pay for a content pack including new cosmetics and the coveted achievements with new maps. If you don't pay you only get the maps, no other new content including no new achievements.
Yep that's the only way I can see about it working, plus it give's those who want all the achievement an incentive for purchase.

Nowise10

That's so weird IGN says the game crashes, I've played SA for probably 15 hours now and I haven't had a single one. Review coming soon.

Same. My friend had one crash when we played co-op, but I havent had a single one the entire time I played the game. And I got all the achievements and Assault Ops, so i spent alot of time playing it.

Mistel

Banned
I thoroughly enjoy cross mapping people with the AR in 4 by burst firing. I rarely get any kills but it's hilarious.
I do that with the carbine, kills vary between player competency and other factor's but when you do it and they have a mic the response is hilarious mainly because so few people use it. I've been in matches where i'm the only one with one :(.

Before I dig a hole by saying something stupid, with the AR thing. I think that in H4 it's not rewarding to use, I'm not saying it's a bad weapon but the enjoyment's just not there for me. I have more fun with the carbine, than I do with the AR and it's surprisingly good, in close quarters as well.

The AR in 4 is quite OP arguably better than the Saw, It beats the BR and Carbine at medium range which it shouldn't be able to do. It requires no skill to use what so ever.

Should I post that Automatic require skill thing from way point again?

62Rig23.gif

I love running on exile and people trying to shoot me at close range with the DMR.

Doffen

When will we get more Halo 5 news? WHEN?

That's so weird IGN says the game crashes, I've played SA for probably 15 hours now and I haven't had a single one. Review coming soon.

I've had one crash so far. And it was at the bloody end of the map. So annoying.

Halo Reach AR was perfect. If you caught someone by surprise in close range you would beat them.

I don't think it would be a good idea for a weapon to be designed to only be useful if you catch someone by surprise. Makes the weapon boring in most gameplay scenarios then; it's extra fluff to the sandbox.

My ideal AR is one the scrublets can still use while never being able to kill someone better than them unless they get the drop in close range

That's the CE AR. It took one second longer to fully unload double the clip size (64 compared to later 32) but it was pretty inaccurate. That thing SHREDS though if you're up close and it's not an easy weapon to use. Fast melee, had a special trait that allowed you to activate Camo faster so you wouldn't always drop that over the Pistol.

AR/Pistol starts

Rifles: Map Pickups
  • BR -- hitscan, 4sk, 3x RRR but with 2x zoom, feels like LAN H2 BR, tight spread
  • Light Rifle -- 3x scope, no hitscan, burst mode = 3sk, zoom = 4sk but shoots faster
  • DMR -- Take away the bloom, reduce aim assist (Think Gears Markza) -OR- possibly making it 85% bloom, 3sk, 3x zoom and hitscan
  • H3 Beta Carbine -- 3x RRR but with 2x zoom, slow-down effect similar to CE PR/PP
Automatics:
Misc:
  • Scattershot changed to function like Unreal's Flak Cannon
  • Reach Beta Plasma Launcher for anti vehicle
  • Missile Pod that has 3 shots and you can manually control each shot like Unreal's Redeemer
  • Grenade Launcher returns -- Hold RT for Grenade Launcher traits, Press RT for remote activation like Sticky Detonator (press again to detonate)

Posted that before, but made a couple changes.

Gui_PT

I like how the beefed up the Saw a while ago.

Kids couldn't get enough kills with an automatic OP weapon and probably complained on Waypoint Forums

Tawpgun

I played several missions of campaign, and I liked it.

I said I hadn't played multiplayer because I hadn't played multiplayer.

I was going to play some LAN with people, but it wouldn't connect and told us we needed to connect to the interent (we were in a hotel that needed some password, and it wouldn't work), so we went back to 3 LAN.

Anybody know how to fix that? I'd love it if we could just, ya know, plug the consoles together and play.

Forms opinions on balance of weapons without playing MM.

Classic!

blamite

The AR is fun to use sometimes, even though I'd pretty much always go for the BR given the choice.

H4 AR > Reach AR > H3 AR. Never played enough H1 MP to judge it, H4 post-turbo doesn't count.

wwm0nkey

Halo 2 PC customs should happen soon so I can stop playing awful gametypes with people who think 24/7 snipes on backwash is fun.

Ghazi

Halo 2 PC customs should happen soon so I can stop playing awful gametypes with people who think 24/7 snipes on backwash is fun.

Man, I don't even think my computer can run Halo 2, that's sorta embarrassing.

CanYouRunIt says I can't either haha.

Nowise10

I liked the AR in Halo CE cause of the sparks and bloods splatter. Looked cool.

Pretty sure bullets in Halo 4 don't even leave sparks or any decal behind on most objects, besides other people and bipeds. Hopping from Reach where shooting the walls create sparks with actual collision, to Halo 4 is really noticeable.

Madness

For DLC, have the maps be 25-33% off regular price on launch day/possibly launch week. Gives a greater incentive for current players to buy them soon as possible.

Make the pack 50% off when the next pack launches, and then when the third or next pack launches, make the first free and require it to play.

It is not ideal, but you provide greater incentive to buy DLC at their launch, and you make older DLC easier to buy for anyone to get caught up. If they're willing to take a hit on pure profit, they can make the pack free when the next one launches, not as much money but this way, you prolong the players and make sure more maps are in rotation.

Vico

OMG IT'S SEX TO MY HEARING, SIGHT, TOUCH, TASTE AND SMELL.

Why did they remove this from Halo? WHY? WHY???????????????????

So that it surprises us even more with a glorious return.

Just like the Arbiter, the Chopper and the grenade launcher.

I wish.

wwm0nkey

Windows 8 hates Halo 2 for some reason or I would :(

Im running Windows 8 and its going just fine for me, whats going on with your copy?

Also on a random note I installed a Hotswap drive today, those things are god like. I can now have a 1TB HDD dedicated to nothing but games and just bring my games to a friends house that way!

Chettlar

Banned
Forms opinions on balance of weapons without playing MM.

Classic!

you-got-me.gif

You're right, my posting does have that flaw. Still, I have said relatively little of what I think of the Halo 4's AR's balance, in relation to my having very little experience with it.

From my impressions of it, I like it. I would need to play with it more to have a more refined opinion of it.

Quick question, how does it compare to the Halo 3 AR? I've used that one probably the most. Is it more powerful? How does bloom compare, and at what ranges?

I don't think it would be a good idea for a weapon to be designed to only be useful if you catch someone by surprise. Makes the weapon boring in most gameplay scenarios then; it's extra fluff to the sandbox.

That's the CE AR. It took one second longer to fully unload double the clip size (64 compared to later 32) but it was pretty inaccurate. That thing SHREDS though if you're up close and it's not an easy weapon to use. Fast melee, had a special trait that allowed you to activate Camo faster so you wouldn't always drop that over the Pistol.

AR/Pistol starts

Rifles: Map Pickups
  • BR -- hitscan, 4sk, 3x RRR but with 2x zoom, feels like LAN H2 BR, tight spread
  • Light Rifle -- 3x scope, no hitscan, burst mode = 3sk, zoom = 4sk but shoots faster
  • DMR -- Take away the bloom, reduce aim assist (Think Gears Markza) -OR- possibly making it 85% bloom, 3sk, 3x zoom and hitscan
  • H3 Beta Carbine -- 3x RRR but with 2x zoom, slow-down effect similar to CE PR/PP
Automatics:
Misc:
  • Scattershot changed to function like Unreal's Flak Cannon
  • Reach Beta Plasma Launcher for anti vehicle
  • Missile Pod that has 3 shots and you can manually control each shot like Unreal's Redeemer
  • Grenade Launcher returns -- Hold RT for Grenade Launcher traits, Press RT for remote activation like Sticky Detonator (press again to detonate)

Posted that before, but made a couple changes.

I like dis. Including the spoiler. I don't mind BR starts, but I like AR/pistol as standards.

I wish we had an AR and pistol, though, that were both like the CE. I'm conflicted about the whole 64/longer reload times vs. 32/shorter reload times, since I see the positives on both side. I definitely appreciate 64 in campaign which you can take at any pace you want (which is usually a slower, more strategic pace for me), but multiplayer is significantly more fast paced, and in that sort of instance, I might appreciate having a faster reload time. Plus, you rarely have time to reload during a single engagement, no matter your reload time, so the smaller magazine can force a reload time sooner, giving the person who was better at using the AR (if we're talking right near the start of a match. By better I mean, didn't just spray and pray and thus kill his magazine quickly), a better chance of winning.

(Apologies if I sound like the people on waypoint [that's the feel I get from rereading this], this is sort off the top of my head. This doesn't come from studying it deeply, as you seem to have done several times.)

Basically, if you have bigger magazines, a single engagement may be over and done before your magazine is dead. In this case, if this is a medium to close combat situation, the noob only needs to keep his reticle on the opponent and win. A steady stream of bullets is obviously going to cause more damage than fewer. If you discourage a person being able to kill with just a steady stream of bullets, and more reward the person for concentrating his shots better, then you encourage the more skilled player to win.

I know I say this as a relative noob, having only about 400-500 Halo 3 games under my belt currently (not counting a bunch of CE PC matches, probably several dozen).

Mistel

Banned
So that it surprises us even more with a glorious return.

Just like the Arbiter, the Chopper and the grenade launcher.

I wish.
It's a shame features like that were removed, if they do come back the falcon should return as well. I too lament for thier return.

It is not ideal, but you provide greater incentive to buy DLC at their launch, and you make older DLC easier to buy for anyone to get caught up. If they're willing to take a hit on pure profit, they can make the pack free when the next one launches, not as much money but this way, you prolong the players and make sure more maps are in rotation.

I'm sure profit wouldn't be too badly hurt by that. If you have base gameplay that makes people want more, and you facilitate that with decent inexpensive map DLC, the population should be easy to maintain, with less divisions between those who have dlc and don't.

Chettlar

Banned
OMG IT'S SEX TO MY HEARING, SIGHT, TOUCH, TASTE AND SMELL.

Why did they remove this from Halo? WHY? WHY???????????????????

Because to be perfectly honest, it's no fun to be on the receiving end.

Somebody, don't remember who (but it was somebody knowledgable in game design) once said that you should NEVER take control away from a player. The player should always be in control of what he is doing. If he's being shot at, he should be able to move and get out of fire and fight back. Playing games is about having control. Chess is about controlling the opponents responses (a good Chess player can help to guide his opponent the way he wants). Good shooters are about area control specifically. Control is very key. Taking away control is always goddamn awful design choice.

I haven't messed with stun extensively, but I found it frustrating at times feeling like suddenly I couldn't fight bat. No fun at all. Perhaps I should play with it more before completely condemning it to game design hell, but for right now, from what I know of it, it seems like very poor design.

So I'm watching Insidious 2 right now. It's alright.

But it reminds me how spooky playing through 343 Guilty Spark and some sections of The Library were in Halo: CE. Halo 2 had Sacred Icon and Quarantine Zone that provided some different type of thrills.

I cannot remember anything in Halo 3/ODST/Reach/4 that gave me that feeling that those 3/4 levels did in the first two games.

Something like that is a great change of pace every once in a while. 343 plz

EDIT: Forgot about Floodgate in Halo 3. I suppose that counts. There was that mini-armory with that one marine, then the first area where the Flood takes over the marines and stuff. It wasn't as good as the ones in CE/2, but was alright.

It's just a stock laptop, I added some ram. I'm moreso surprised because it requires so little to power, graphically. It's sad because I'm staring at my copy of Halo 2 now, and I know I can't play it.

Isn't that site sometimes unreliable? That card should run it i believe.

Chettlar

Banned
So I'm watching Insidious 2 right now. It's alright.

But it reminds me how spooky playing through 343 Guilty Spark and some sections of The Library were in Halo: CE. Halo 2 had Sacred Icon and Quarantine Zone that provided some different type of thrills.

I cannot remember anything in Halo 3/ODST/Reach/4 that gave me that feeling that those 3/4 levels did in the first two games.

Something like that is a great change of pace every once in a while. 343 plz

I think Halo 3 tried, but I didn't like how it did it. I was more "annoyed" with levels like Cortana than skittish "ohgodpleasedon'tdie" like I was with the Library.

Library was such a good level.

Im running Windows 8 and its going just fine for me, whats going on with your copy?

Also on a random note I installed a Hotswap drive today, those things are god like. I can now have a 1TB HDD dedicated to nothing but games and just bring my games to a friends house that way!

Did you run into any difficulties at all with Halo 2 on Windows 8 at all? Or did you just install it and play?

I am actually able to install it and access campaign, but when I try to connect to XBL, the game says it needs to install an update, installs the update, and then exits the game, only to ask me to try again. :(

I tried manually installing the update, and that did nothing, so I used WinRAR to dig inside the install file. There were two smaller files that I was able to install, just like when I tried the whole thing, but the result was the same. Then I tried the third file that looked bigger -- like the main installer exe...file...thing -- and it basically said it can't find the files to apply the update to. Unfortunately, even though I knew exactly where they were, there was no way to change the place it wanted to update (or even see where it was trying to update to) or even manually apply the updates. :((((

I have Windows 8.1 atm, but I tried this all with Windows 8.

belushy

Banned

It just crashes when I start it up. I forgot the error message because I deleted it after it crashed a few times. I even tried running it in XP, Vista, and Win7 compatibility mode but it was still crashing. Might give it a try again.

wwm0nkey

I think Halo 3 tried, but I didn't like how it did it. I was more "annoyed" with levels like Cortana than skittish "ohgodpleasedon'tdie" like I was with the Library.

Library was such a good level.

Did you run into any difficulties at all with Halo 2 on Windows 8 at all? Or did you just install it and play?

I am actually able to install it and access campaign, but when I try to connect to XBL, the game says it needs to install an update, installs the update, and then exits the game, only to ask me to try again. :(

I tried manually installing the update, and that did nothing, so I used WinRAR to dig inside the install file. There were two smaller files that I was able to install, just like when I tried the whole thing, but the result was the same. Then I tried the third file that looked bigger -- like the main installer exe...file...thing -- and it basically said it can't find the files to apply the update to. Unfortunately, even though I knew exactly where they were, there was no way to change the place it wanted to update (or even see where it was trying to update to) or even manually apply the updates. :((((

I have Windows 8.1 atm, but I tried this all with Windows 8.
I just re installed the GFWL application after the game was installed and then it all worked smoothly again.

Also if you guys do re install it. do the following

Download DSfix
-put all files into the root Halo 2 folder
-Open dsfix.ini
-Force borderless windowed mode
-Force Windowed mode
-Unlock FPS to 60 or higher
*if using a non supported resolution just enter it in the resolution options.

RE: Plasma Rifle Stun. I'm generally against mechanics that slow players down in any way (which is why the Gravity Gauntlet can no longer force-choke people), but I think the Plasma Rifle stun is a good fit in the Halo sandbox - as long as it's being used with fast player speeds.

Plus, pretty much every weapon in Halo 4's sandbox has the "shooting people slows them down" mechanic already.

Chettlar

Banned
I just re installed the GFWL application after the game was installed and then it all worked smoothly again.

Are you using 8 or 8.1? Just curious because I know 8.1 sometimes causes problems that 8 didn't have.

I'll have to try again then. I have one other thing I'm going try that's hard to explain. I didn't exactly install it in the conventional way (for complicated reasons. And yes, my copy is legit), but I might have to now.

On a somewhat unrelated note, playing Halo CE with an SSD is...interesting, I die and spawn literally instantly. I almost wish I had load times now, since it's so immediate. Rather jolting.

I love my SSD though.

RE: Plasma Rifle Stun. I'm generally against mechanics that slow players down in any way (which is why the Gravity Gauntlet can no longer force-choke people), but I think the Plasma Rifle stun is a good fit in the Halo sandbox - as long as it's being used with fast player speeds.

Plus, pretty much every weapon in Halo 4's sandbox has the "shooting people slows them down" mechanic already.

Please explain to me how a bullet could slow a person down just by it's lonesome...

wwm0nkey

Are you using 8 or 8.1? Just curious because I know 8.1 sometimes causes problems that 8 didn't have.

I'll have to try again then. I have one other thing I'm going try that's hard to explain. I didn't exactly install it in the conventional way (for complicated reasons. And yes, my copy is legit), but I might have to now.

On a somewhat unrelated note, playing Halo CE with an SSD is...interesting, I die and spawn literally instantly. I almost wish I had load times now, since it's so immediate. Rather jolting.

I love my SSD though.

Please explain to me how a bullet could slow a person down just by it's lonesome...
Yeah im running on 8.1

Mistel

Banned
Plasma Rifle stun is a good fit in the Halo sandbox - as long as it's being used with fast player speeds.

Make the base gameplay fast like anniversary, (movement speed faster than 4?) and a slow down function, wouldn't be necessary a bad thing as a mechanic.

What's the mapping of the Dyson sphere for?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Well or the time how it was with Halo 2, I don't remember the real timeframe, though I know it didn't feel that long

Blastacular Map Pack release in April and went free in July.

Killtacular Map Pack release was in April and went free in June.

Maptacular Map Pack release was in July and went free in August.

Chettlar

Banned
Yeah im running on 8.1

Thanks, that might help as well. I'll let you guys know what works, but right now my computer is having blue screen "Memory_Management" issues that memory scans are not fixing. :( I'm thinking I may have bad RAM.

Oh, and guys, something I did stands as a testimony to not trying to fix something when it isn't broken.

This is apparently a common problem for many Halo 2 users:

"LIVE gaming on Windows failed to initialize. This may be because another LIVE Gaming on Windows application (such as Halo2 dedicated server) is running on the same machine. Otherwise, reinstalling the game may fix the problem."

I was getting desperate with the other problem I was having, so I tried the fix that you're supposed to do for this (something about messing with the catroot files).

And wouldn't you know, doing the fix for it gave me the error message above. So, it did the opposite of what it was supposed to. Not doing that again.

In Halo 4, getting shot while using Sprint slows you down unless you're holding the Energy Sword or have the appropriate perk.

Make the base gameplay fast like anniversary, (movement speed faster than 4?) and a slow down function, wouldn't be necessary a bad thing as a mechanic.

What's the mapping of the Dyson sphere for?

It's for Project Livechamber, my arena shooter ditty. More details coming soon.

Chettlar

Banned
In Halo 4, getting shot while using Sprint slows you down unless you're holding the Energy Sword or have the appropriate perk.

I know that's what it does. I just want to know how a bullet is supposed to do that. What is the explanation for putting in such an arbitrary mechanic?

Bullet's don't slow people down in real life. Sure, there is no such thing as an alien so much as we know either, but there's a difference between setting and arbitrary physics. Jackals and grunts and elites and like have an explanation as to where they came from, a bullet slowing you down when you are running does not make sense, because bullet's don't do that. So what is the explanation?

I know that's what it does. I just want to know how a bullet is supposed to do that. What is the explanation for putting in such an arbitrary mechanic?

Bullet's don't slow people down in real life. Sure, there is no such thing as an alien so much as we know either, but there's a difference between setting and arbitrary physics. Jackals and grunts and elites and like have an explanation as to where they came from, a bullet slowing you down when you are running does not make sense, because bullet's don't do that.

i guess the kinetic energy of the bullets aren't able to be absorbed by the shields. Same reason for why you are able to get splattered by a warthog or against a wall. or something sciencey like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom