• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those 99% copied COD with the ADS, Lets be real here.

COD didn't invent ADS, far from it.

Was it a large factor in driving the mechanic's popularity? Yes, absolutely. At this point though the market has chosen that as an FPS feature that all games have, same thing with sprint. Once the market has dictated that a feature is just something that every FPS will have, how does that automatically make the game like COD?

I remember talking with some Bungie folks at PAX and someone asked why sprint was in Destiny. The answer was literally something as simple as sometimes features are just dictated by the market, didn't even sound like a decision to be made. Every shooter has and will have sprint, am I going to claim all games are COD because of that? I certainly won't.

Why are you using bing?

Clearly, Bing knows about the salt!

Bing Rewards, free shit for searching for answers to life's questions on the internet

----------------------

Something I think people vastly underestimate about Titanfall is the player movement. Once you play it you'll know immediately, but the movement IS the game. Player Movement is a dominating element of the core gameplay.

COD didn't invent ADS, far from it.

Was it a large factor in driving the mechanic's popularity? Yes, absolutely. At this point though the market has chosen that as an FPS feature that all games have, same thing with sprint. Once the market has dictated that a feature is just something that every FPS will have, how does that automatically make the game like COD?

I remember talking with some Bungie folks at PAX and someone asked why sprint was in Destiny. The answer was literally something as simple as sometimes features are just dictated by the market, didn't even sound like a decision to be made. Every shooter has and will have sprint, am I going to claim all games are COD because of that? I certainly won't.

Clearly, Bing knows about the salt!

Bing Rewards, free shit for searching for answers to life's questions on the internet

----------------------

Something I think people vastly underestimate about Titanfall is the player movement. Once you play it you'll know immediately, but the movement IS the game. Player Movement is a dominating element of the core gameplay.

My point is that they put it in because of COD's popularity. Everyone included it after COD 4 even though some few had it before. Bungie was a leader but with Destiny its not looking like it.

My point is that they put it in because of COD's popularity. Everyone included it after COD 4 even though some few had it before. Bungie was a leader but with Destiny its not looking like it.

Oh, I agree with you that Destiny hasn't shown anything new or exciting from a core gameplay mechanic perspective.

TheOddOne

Keep saying more beautiful things like this. It pleases me.

Because opinions

I can understand not being hyped because it just doesn't seem like your cup of tea for gameplay, but some of the reasons people are spouting are a little out there..

Cute, Fracas.

EDIT:
Everything I say is beautiful

image.php

Everything about you is beautiful.

heckfu

Banned
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj2/Zin23/ArrestedDevelopmentKidOglesGaryBuse.gif[IMG]

Not excited at all, to be honest. I mean, I haven't really paid too much attention to those campaign details that are floating about, but like Titanfall, I don't see what the fuss is about (I honestly believe TF looks dull. Sure the movement is pretty cool, but that's about it).[/QUOTE]

Says he's not excited.

Admits he hasn't watched anything.

Classic posting.

NOKYARD

Well, if I'm not mistakened, Frankie said In-game ranks created a bad habit in selling accounts to people who wanted those Lvl 50 General ranks back in H3.

So 343's solution to implent the CSR was to be only visible through Waypoint.

In theory, DOTA's MMR update would fill the gap in between CSR and In-game ranks for online MM.

It seems to provide even less than 'CSR visible through Waypoint'. It's visible to you and your friends so it allows for bragging rights among friends. You can see where you and your friends stand compared to the general population but you can't see beyond that. With Waypoint's CSR you can see any player's CSR, not just friends. I guess i'm questioning why 343 should "do this" when their system already does more.

[edit] Now i understand. He meant 343 should show CSR in game. I thought there was more to it at first.

COD Ghosts is more going around in ADS than spraying with Smgs now.

Which is fine I guess, I hope Destiny wont turn this like this.

Question on Holmes new role, where does an executive producer rank in terms of decision making on a game? Is it less of a direct influence than creative director? I don't really know how this works so I'm curious.

Also, nobody watch the VGX until the good stuff like Destiny, Titanfall, The Division, and Quantum Break are shown. Most of the 3 hours are going to suck.

Question on Holmes new role, where does an executive producer rank in terms of decision making on a game? Is it less of a direct influence than creative director? I don't really know how this works so I'm curious.

Also, nobody watch the VGX until the good stuff like Destiny, Titanfall, The Division, and Quantum Break are shown. Most of the 3 hours are going to suck.

i hope they lock holmes in a dark room and dont let him ruin halo any more than he has already

TheOddOne

I'm no expert on this matter, but I'll give you my take on it. It is very difficult to say what kind of influence an Executive Producer has over games, even within the video game industry it is not all that well defined. In film, music and tv-series that job often has to do with making sure that production goes well and mediate between parties. Probably is the same with videogames.

Holmes was executive producer for Reach. The creative director for it was Marcus Letho and his vision was the basis for the game. I think that in the case of Halo 5, Josh will make sure that production goes well and Tim Longo will lead the overall design philosophy. Josh could still have some input on the design though, because well developers wear many hats and are often not credited for sometimes big contributions.

Holmes will probably be overseeing multiple projects—videogames, books, series— and that is why is credited as Franchise Creative Director.

Why are you using bing?

something something microsoft's meaty 720package is giving him a second adam's apple

It seems like A Salt On The Control Room OT was by far our most popular one.

dat title.

subb zewow = gud
da ahdwun = gud
combined = no

Fun fact: Sodium Chloride is is made up of sodium and chloride (no shit sherlock). Sodium's highly volatile as a raw element and chloride is likewise incredibly toxic to humans. When combined, however, they form SaCl, or ordinary table salt.

Maybe that makes SlRp (or whatever the chemical formula for it is) halogaf's reckoning - while we're harmless individually (albeit talkative, gso oddwun), together we form halogaf's equivalent of explosion cancer.

themoreyouknow.csx

zap

I'm no expert on this matter, but I'll give you my take on it. It is very difficult to say what kind of influence an Executive Producer has over games, even within the video game industry it is not all that well defined. In film, music and tv-series that job often has to do with making sure that production goes well and mediate between parties. Probably is the same with videogames.

Holmes was executive producer for Reach. The creative director for it was Marcus Letho and his vision was the basis for the game. I think that in the case of Halo 5, Josh will make sure that production goes well and Tim Longo will lead the overall design philosophy. Josh could still have some input on the design though, because well developers wear many hats and are often not credited for sometimes big contributions.

Holmes will probably be overseeing multiple projects—videogames, books, series— and that is why is credited as Franchise Creative Director.

Wasn't Joe Tung EP for Reach?

Nowise10

Nowise10 took a picture back in September when I was playing Reach's campaign again.

4th from the bottom. Im assuming Microsot Game Studios Executive producer is nothing similar to Bungie executive producer.
ZFNQspu.png

Mix

Nowise10 took a picture back in September when I was playing Reach's campaign again.

4th from the bottom. Im assuming Microsot Game Studios Executive producer is nothing similar to Bungie executive producer.
ZFNQspu.png

Son of a bitch...
Who's to say that Holmes didn't give the final go on the shit store that was Reach to lead into his "creative vision" for Halo 4?

I think it's pretty safe to say that being an EP on a game as the publisher (MGS on Reach) is pretty different than being the EP as the dev (Joe Tung on Reach).

CyReN

I love that the Josh Holmes handicapped Spartan graphic was slapped in there again for extra TMZ Value. Classic.

edit: LOL that gif is amazing. "8 years old Dude"

Don't talk down to our site like that, I know you're trying really hard to get a job with tweeting 343 employee on a daily basis but that was a real issue.

Booshka

Don't talk down to our site like that, I know you're trying really hard to get a job with tweeting 343 employee on a daily basis but that was a real issue.

take this twitter drama to twitter so you can post the tweets as a news story on beyond's site.

Reach was like Halo at least, so i doubt he had to do with it lol.

It was Halo once the Anniversary maps and playlists came out after the TU.

I don't see how anyone can not be excited for Titanfall..
I don't see any real reason to hate on this game except for your own naivety IMO. I can understand not being hyped because it just doesn't seem like your cup of tea for gameplay, but some of the reasons people are spouting are a little out there.. It's not really hopping on the bandwagon if you just give it a chance; everyone who played it can't be crazy.

Frankie's wrong and everyone knows it. That's just some BS they use to justify its exclusion when in reality, the negative effects ranks would have on the community would be minimal compared to the positives it would bring to this franchise. People want ranks more than they don't want and it only gets a bad rap because of some false perception that they drastically ruined the community.

Chief reason I am excited for Titanfall is player movement. 343 in total were wrong about ranks and everyone knows it including them.

i hope they lock holmes in a dark room and dont let him ruin halo any more than he has already

Kevin Franklin should be in that room with him. Still enough people have come and gone as a result of Halo 4.

I love Bungie but it's feeling like Halo 2 launch and biting off more than you can chew all over again. I've been waiting to get really excited for Destiny and it feels like they're struggling to define/show the key hook gameplay still. I sincerely hope it's all yet to be revealed and I'm way off base. They usually make a game I end up loving so I'm happy to wait and see what they've been working on with so many resources and for so long.

I'm always going to buy Destiny but at this point I'd like to see more than a bullet sponge open event. The art is cool as fuck though.

There is a part of Destiny that seems like it's in development hell. I really wish they would consider removing ADS. This is not the first delay and there is still so much we don't know about the game. Think about how long they have been working on this.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

I think it's fair criticism of Beyond, Ray. I'm not saying it wasn't an issue, I saw people's reaction to it even though I did not have the same reaction. But it was a long time ago, and to make that connection, to start that rumor, reminds me of TMZ. That's all.

And again if you don't like my tweets just unfollow me bro.

I think it's fair criticism of Beyond, Ray. I'm not saying it wasn't an issue, I saw people's reaction to it even though I did not have the same reaction. But it was a long time ago, and to make that connection, to start that rumor, reminds me of TMZ. That's all.

And again if you don't like my tweets just unfollow me bro.

Beyond is the neglected stepchild of The Halo Council. who killed their step parent

CyReN

I think it's fair criticism against Josh, let's not pretend it was years ago now. I wish him luck (JH) with his new role at 343 Industries, but I'm very excited to see someone else at the helm to hopefully steer Halo in the right direction for Halo 5.

Beyond is the neglected stepchild of The Halo Council. who killed their step parent

Always nice to see banned members find a new home.

I still can't feel excitement watching anything related to Destiny. It just looks way too uninspired and...boring. I'll probably get it because it's supposed to be a pretty big thing, but overall I'm pretty indifferent toward it. Sorry, Bungie.

Still holding out hope for something related to Halo during VGX.

Nowise10

How many times do you think Bungie can continue you to show us the same exact footage in every new trailer. Literally every trailer shows the same exact footage.

Music was good though, and the few new gameplay clips were cool looking.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I think it's fair criticism against Josh, let's not pretend it was years ago now. I wish him luck (JH) with his new role at 343 Industries, but I'm very excited to see someone else at the helm to hopefully steer Halo in the right direction for Halo 5.

Always nice to see banned members find a new home.

Okay, that's totally fine. I just had an issue with the style of the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom