• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chettlar

Banned
What are the specs of a Surface Pro? Halo 2 is poorly optimized, I hear, so they'll need to be decent.

Just look up the specs then. There's no reason it can't run on a Surface if it can run on an equal PC, since the Surface is just a PC.

i guess the kinetic energy of the bullets aren't able to be absorbed by the shields. Same reason for why you are able to get splattered by a warthog or against a wall. or something sciencey like that.

That...makes no sense at all. :/ Why would that slow you down? It's a piece of matter hitting you very hard. The only way a person is going to slow down is if you've damaged their flesh and they have to limp, which is not the case in Halo 4.

Tawpgun

I know that's what it does. I just want to know how a bullet is supposed to do that. What is the explanation for putting in such an arbitrary mechanic?

Bullet's don't slow people down in real life. Sure, there is no such thing as an alien so much as we know either, but there's a difference between setting and arbitrary physics. Jackals and grunts and elites and like have an explanation as to where they came from, a bullet slowing you down when you are running does not make sense, because bullet's don't do that. So what is the explanation?

Ummm.....

What are the specs of a Surface Pro? Halo 2 is poorly optimized, I hear, so they'll need to be decent.

Just look up the specs then. There's no reason it can't run on a Surface if it can run on an equal PC, since the Surface is just a PC.

That...makes no sense at all. :/ Why would that slow you down? It's a piece of matter hitting you very hard. The only way a person is going to slow down is if you've damaged their flesh and they have to limp, which is not the case in Halo 4.

Please take some basic high school physics before you continue posting, thanks.

It doesn't seem like the kind of thing that'll get clarified to any reasonable extent (and probably shouldn't, considering how ridiculous of a thing it is in the first place) but Halo's shielding systems have historically been poorly optimized for kinetic interpolation in the first place. If objects move slowly enough, they can outright bypass the shielding, for example when those Sentinels got killed with thrown rocks in Ghosts of Onyx. The opposite probably holds true as well: it's not measuring electromagnetic frequencies or damage output or anything like that, it's probably just trying to equalize whatever kinetic force the slugs / plasma throws at your shields.

Chettlar

Banned
It doesn't seem like the kind of thing that'll get clarified to any reasonable extent (and probably shouldn't, considering how ridiculous of a thing it is in the first place) but Halo's shielding systems have historically been poorly optimized for kinetic interpolation in the first place. If objects move slowly enough, they can outright bypass the shielding, for example when those Sentinels got killed with thrown rocks in Ghosts of Onyx. The opposite probably holds true as well: it's not measuring electromagnetic frequencies or damage output or anything like that, it's probably just trying to equalize whatever kinetic force the slugs / plasma throws at your shields.

Interesting. That still doesn't explain why your rate of movement would slow down while you are getting hit...while allowing you to go fast again after you are not getting it.

And maybe Tawpgun could actually explain what he means instead of saying something as hands off as that. I could easily say the same thing back and it wouldn't prove my point.

Mistel

Banned
halo isn't very realistic as a game, unless there's super soldiers running around in power armor that we dont know about. Kinetics would play a role in slowing an object down.

Chettlar

Banned
Ever watch a game of football?

A guy hitting another guy doesn't slow him down. It actually accelerates his speed for a moment. Grabbing him and pushing him to the ground stops him. Hitting him will not stop him or even slow him down (unless of course you hit him head on, but that's simply because now there is a huge, impenetrable mass in front of him that, because it cannot bury it's self into him, be absorbed into him, or bounce off of him, will slow him down or stop him). The act of hitting you doesn't slow you down. If I hit a person from behind, he keeps accelerating forward. If I hit him from behind in a game...this suddenly slows him down?

If you were running and I took some wax bullets and started shooting you, they would hurt really bad, and probably give you welts, but the bullets would in and of themselves not slow you down. That is up to you.

heckfu

Banned
A guy hitting another guy doesn't slow him down. It actually accelerates his speed for a moment. Grabbing him and pushing him to the ground stops him. Hitting him will not stop him or even slow him down.

If you were running and I took some wax bullets and started shooting you, they would hurt really bad, and probably give you welts, but the bullets would in and of themselves not slow you down. That is up to you.

*taps mic* this thing on? anyone else reading this?

heckfu

Banned
So, apparently nobody is interested in what I'm saying.

Which is precisely why they are engaging me in conversation...right?

No, I just think your logic is 1000% flawed in saying that being hit would accelerate you. That may be true if you're shooting a brick moving forward from behind, but you're talking about shooting a person and lol at saying that you wouldn't slow down. Physics doesn't account for pain or emotion.

Tawpgun

Interesting. That still doesn't explain why your rate of movement would slow down while you are getting hit...while allowing you to go fast again after you are not getting it.

And maybe Tawpgun could actually explain what he means instead of saying something as hands off as that. I could easily say the same thing back and it wouldn't prove my point.

I'm assuming you've never seen anyone get shot despite wearing body armor. It's still an impact. Bullets have a strong impact because they go so fast. Force isn't a measure of the mass of an object, but the mass and its speed. It's impossible to determine how fast Halo bullets should realistically go. But lets assume they shoot significantly faster than our current firearms. We got 500 years of firearms advancement to work with here.

Being peppered by bullets will still have a significant impact on you. If you had an impenetrable shield and held it up to a hail of machine gun fire you would have a hard time making forward progress.

Another fun fact, the ancient romans used to have hundreds of "slingers" that would basically pelt their enemies with little lead pellets. Despite the enemies never having been significantly injured from these things, the force of them hitting you is enough to slow down an entire army.

Now, them being super soldiers in power armor is a different arguement entirely.

But at the end of the day its a fucking video game and the mechanic is there for balance.

Mistel

Banned
HOW?! So you know of a real life instance where this happens? I do not.
May I ask what sort of education you have? (not being rude just curious).

Newtons third law of motion is the most likely explanation.

Say a bullet has a force of 50N and it collided, with a Spartan who is traveling in the other, direction with a force of 75N. The Spartan would be slowed to 25N and carry on moving slower than they were originally.

Chettlar

Banned
I'm assuming you've never seen anyone get shot despite wearing body armor. It's still an impact. Bullets have a strong impact because they go so fast. Force isn't a measure of the mass of an object, but the mass and its speed. It's impossible to determine how fast Halo bullets should realistically go. But lets assume they shoot significantly faster than our current firearms. We got 500 years of firearms advancement to work with here.

Being peppered by bullets will still have a significant impact on you. If you had an impenetrable shield and held it up to a hail of machine gun fire you would have a hard time making forward progress.

Another fun fact, the ancient romans used to have hundreds of "slingers" that would basically pelt their enemies with little lead pellets. Despite the enemies never having been significantly injured from these things, the force of them hitting you is enough to slow down an entire army.

Now, them being super soldiers in power armor is a different arguement entirely.

But at the end of the day its a fucking video game and the mechanic is there for balance.

That makes sense I suppose, but it doesn't at all explain why shooting somebody from behind, say, would cause them to slow down.

And I do not think it helps with balance, as I explained in a post earlier.

Chettlar

Banned
May I ask what sort of education you have? (not being rude just curious).

Newtons third law of motion is the most likely explanation.

Say a bullet has a force of 50N and it collided, with a Spartan who is traveling in the other, direction with a force of 75N. The Spartan would be slowed to 25N and carry on moving slower than they were originally.

I haven't taken super complex physics, but I know this much: It's not near that simple. You forget that mass (and shape, and other things) also factors into this equation. The bullet is not by it's self going to slow him down. In fact, the bullet, since it is supposed to go into him, will have even less resistance that that. It is also narrow, so it must go inside him with even less resistance.

Again, your argument, even if true, does not explain why hitting someone from behind one cause them to slow down. Remember things will continue in a certain direction unless acted upon. Therefore, why would a bullet hitting me from behind cause force to slow me down, when the only thing that should stop me from continuing to go forward, is something that should come from in front of me?

I gotta agree with Chettlar. That single thing totally broke the realism for me in Halo CE.

Sorry, I literally can't tell if you're being serious.

Tawpgun

That makes sense I suppose, but it doesn't at all explain why shooting somebody from behind, say, would cause them to slow down.

And I do not think it helps with balance, as I explained in a post earlier.

In Halo Reach there was a very effective offensive strategy known as melee rushing. You equip sprint and rush as a dude and as long as you get to melee range with him while having at least a sliver of shield left you could kill him with a double melee.

Not to mention people getting shot could sprint away at full speed to safety which was lame.

The mechanic was introduced to prevent these things.

Chettlar

Banned
In Halo Reach there was a very effective offensive strategy known as melee rushing. You equip sprint and rush as a dude and as long as you get to melee range with him while having at least a sliver of shield left you could kill him with a double melee.

Not to mention people getting shot could sprint away at full speed to safety which was lame.

The mechanic was introduced to prevent these things.

Wait, so we fix a broken mechanic to fix another one? Why not remove the mechanic that cause the trouble in the first place?

Sprint. It just doesn't work in Halo's sandbox.

Basically, that's how you know if a mechanic is bad: if you have to do a bunch of even slightly unreasonable extra stuff to compensate for it. Why not just own up the mistake and remove it?

I thought we were all Wahrer alts?

Anyway, since the sheilds can't straight up absorb the kinetic energy of the bullets, it displaces it all over the body, slowing you down. But if you're running away, idk. Game flow.

Exactly, it's arbitrary. Arbitrary stuff is bad game design. It needs to be logical and based in explainable and reasonable reality to work. Remember, it's being controlled through real world means, so it ought to respond accordingly. I'm not saying we need hyper realism, but there was once another comment I read by a game designer who said something along the lines of "Keep it real. Nobody wants to play a game where you just made up the rules yourself."

People here have talked about how armor abilities are frustrating because you can't predict them. Really, this applies to any situation. If I go into a game and do something, based on what I know, I expect something else to happen. The further removed from the ground of reality you are, the more unstable your foundation becomes. Think of it like building a tower basically.

Tawpgun

Wait, so we fix a broken mechanic to fix another one? Why not remove the mechanic that cause the trouble in the first place?

Sprint. It just doesn't work in Halo's sandbox.

Basically, that's how you know if a mechanic is bad: if you have to do a bunch of even slightly unreasonable extra stuff to compensate for it. Why not just own up the mistake and remove it?

Well you summed up one of the issues with Halo 4 gameplay design but you're still wrong about bullets.

Chettlar

Banned
whose alt is chettlar

Yours.

Well you summed up one of the issues with Halo 4 gameplay design but you're still wrong about bullets.

Just a simple question, have you ever shot a gun? How much?

Also, guys, despite not having any kind of major in physics, my Dad is an engineer, and I have several scientist in my family, so I've had to sit through some very long physics talks, so much of it is simply common knowledge for me. It's interesting, but boring as heck if it's not applied to anything (in my way of thinking).

Exactly, it's arbitrary. Arbitrary stuff is bad game design. It needs to be logical and based in explainable and reasonable reality to work. Remember, it's being controlled through real world means, so it ought to respond accordingly. I'm not saying we need hyper realism, but there was once another comment I read by a game designer who said something along the lines of "Keep it real. Nobody wants to play a game where you just made up the rules yourself."

People here have talked about how armor abilities are frustrating because you can't predict them. Really, this applies to any situation. If I go into a game and do something, based on what I know, I expect something else to happen. The further removed from the ground of reality you are, the more unstable your foundation becomes. Think of it like building a tower basically.

uhhhhh..... no?

Realistic doesn't make for balanced/fun/halo/whateverthefuck gameplay.

heckfu

Banned
Just a simple question, have you ever shot a gun? How much?

Also, guys, despite not having any kind of major in physics, my Dad is an engineer, and I have several scientist in my family, so I've had to sit through some very long physics talks, so much of it is simply common knowledge for me. It's interesting, but boring as heck if it's not applied to anything (in my way of thinking).

Yes, I live in the south. When I shoot shit it stops it pretty quickly...that's how guns work! And if we're shooting people in multiplayer (according to your logic) why are we helping them speed away from us? I shoot people in Halo to stop them.

And my grandfather was an astronaut so I guess that makes me one too.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Chettlar has posted in this thread 87 times in 92 hours

Responding to his posts just makes him post faster, as per physics

I gotta agree with Chettlar. That single thing totally broke the realism for me in Halo CE.
webbmom.gif

For me it was when they woke the master chief up out of hypersleep. That killed it right there.
Halo: Combat Evolved takes place in a science fiction universe created by Bungie Studios specifically for the game.
Otherwise known as not real.

webbmom.gif

For me it was when they woke the master chief up out of hypersleep. That killed it right there.

Dude, you're supposed to go into cryosleep naked or else the freezerburn is painful. I wanted to step out of that cryochamber waving around my albino gorilla dick like it was a fucking baptism.

ElRenoRaven

That's so weird IGN says the game crashes, I've played SA for probably 15 hours now and I haven't had a single one. Review coming soon.

I had it happen twice. It just crashes back to the home screen and you have to go in and restart the game. Only game I've had that happen on other then COD which only did it once.

Mistel

Banned
uhhhhh..... no?

If your applying realism to halo bullet mechanics are the least of your worries.

• Dyson Spheres (I can't wait to hear about your project Waher)
  • faster than light travel
  • sentient parasites
These are just a few, halo is a game in no way meant to be realistic at all.

Chettlar

Banned
uhhhhh..... no?

First of all, my point still stands that adding another mechanic to fix a broken/unnecessary one is bad thinking. That's the main point of my posts thus far.

About realism then:

I know everybody will think this is crazy but...Halo is not that unrealistic.

It's like this: firstly, the default for everything is reality as we know it. Right? I mean, that's pretty much what default things: the way things are normally. A simulator attempts to mimic that reality, for example. (I know I'm not being the most clear; I'm trying to be).

Secondly, games are about balance. Life isn't always "balanced" and thus is not always "fun." Fun is never fun when it isn't fair, to which being balanced is imperative. You must be balanced to be fair, since the two words cover the same area.

In a game then, we have to take selective parts out of life -- out of the default of reality -- to cut out things that make life unbalanced. Interestingly enough, it appears, the less "stuff" we have, and the simpler things are, the more fair the game becomes.

If we have two dudes with swords, and these swords kill in one hit (we could go even simpler than that, but whatever), this would be perfectly fair. If I hit him first, he dies. If hits me first, I die. Nobody can complain in this situation.

Unfortunately, that is boring, so we start letting some reality back in. Now a sword can only kill you in one hit if it cuts your head off, and say it can only do that if you pull the sword back above your head to give it more force. More interesting.

Now we give the two guys guns. Let's make up a gun. It doesn't matter, it's still acting like reality. My gun shoots hamburgers that explode. That's fine. It doesn't kill balance with the game, and, believe it or not, it's still realistic. How? Because all I did was make a bomb that looks like a hamburger, the fact that it is a hamburger is unimportant because being a hamburger is not functional. It's just a skin we put over something that explodes. This requires some abstract thought here. It doesn't matter that we don't have exploding hamburgers in real life. It works in the game; it follow reality in all the ways it needs to; the concept is predictable (as long as the person knows the hamburger will explode); and our game is still balanced.

Now we do something strange. Our player knows that the hamburger explodes, right? So he shoots the other dude with a hamburger gun and it explodes on contact. Unfortunately, nothing happens. The explosion has only take 1 % of the other dudes health. We would all agree that this is bad game design. The hamburger gun, then, is useless. We might as well use the sword right? Exactly, so nobody use the hamburger gun now. Why is it bad? Because the explosion doesn't do what explosions do. "But it's a hamburger!" So what? We now know that hamburgers explode. "Yeah, but now we know that explosions hardly do anything!" Exactly. The difference here is that the hamburger being a hamburger doesn't affect gameplay. Not doing anything to your opponent with an explosion does.

End of story, btw. The following is yet another example, basically.

So in our example, nobody uses the hamburger gun until one of the guys looses his sword. In desperation, he goes and grabs the hamburger gun, and shoots a hamburger at his opponent. Then something unexpected happens: this time the hamburger kills the dude instantly. Why? Because "to make it more exciting" we made the gun more unpredictable. Except, this isn't fun. It isn't fun because it isn't fair. "Oh but it is fair because it could happen to you to." No. Fun is also about something else, that I talked about earlier: control. If I can't control what my actions accomplish, then what I am doing is not fun. The further a game gets from the reality of "My actions cause these reactions, maybe with just a little bit a variance, depending on some factors that I am capable of being aware of"; the further it gets from being fun.

Also, sort of nonrelated, but I feel like now nobody wants to take my side lest being called my alt. I swear I do not post using any other account on gaf, nor does anybody else use this one.

webbmom.gif

Real this post ^. There are different kinds of realism. Certain types matter. Others do not. Not all things that simply created are created equal, simply by their nature and what they apply to.

If your applying realism to halo bullet mechanics are the least of your worries.

• Dyson Spheres (I can't wait to hear about your project Waher)
  • faster than light travel
  • sentient parasites
These are just a few, halo is a game in no way meant to be realistic at all.

You too.

ElRenoRaven

I just want 343 to take a step back. Their basics underneath the crap are great. The gunplay is amazing. I don't want to see a ton more shit added. That's the problem we have now. I want them to reduce some stuff.

Basically see Halo 3. Copy that weapon wise. Maybe substitute forerunner weapons for Brute weapons but still keep the numbers low like that. Then just leave the vehicles where they were. Remove the damn mantis. Add no others. Also drop the ordinance shit. Just it doesn't work for Halo. It sucks. I want those and loadouts gone. Same for Armor abilites. I'll settle for equipment even. Covenant weapon wise take it back toward the Halo 3 route. Bring back Plasma Rifle and cut out the crappy wanna be needler clones.

Woorloog

Banned
I just want 343 to take a step back. Their basics underneath the crap are great. The gunplay is amazing. I don't want to see a ton more shit added. That's the problem we have now. I want them to reduce some stuff.

Basically see Halo 3. Copy that weapon wise. Maybe substitute forerunner weapons for Brute weapons but still keep the numbers low like that. Then just leave the vehicles where they were. Remove the damn mantis. Add no others. Also drop the ordinance shit. Just it doesn't work for Halo. It sucks. I want those and loadouts gone. Same for Armor abilites. I'll settle for equipment even.

Why would a casual user buy Halo 3 redux? Aside from the new campaign that is.
I certainly wouldn't be interested. Small sandbox changes like you suggest wouldn't be enough either. IMO.

EDIT actually, nevermind. Call of Duty doesn't change that much...

Nebula

Chettlar. The problem is that you asked to be given an example of physics within the game also occurring in the real world. Now for some reason you're arguing against the examples and creating ridiculous scenarios to get across some point no one is understanding.

If you're on about crappy game mechanics such as the stopping power of weapons causing a slow down of the player, I'm sure it's been said that it's a pretty crappy mechanic numerous times.

No idea why you're going into mega post mode over it though.

Chettlar

Banned

Basically see Halo 3. Copy that weapon wise. Maybe substitute forerunner weapons for Brute weapons but still keep the numbers low like that. Then just leave the vehicles where they were. Remove the damn mantis. Add no others. Also drop the ordinance shit. Just it doesn't work for Halo. It sucks. I want those and loadouts gone. Same for Armor abilites. I'll settle for equipment even.

The point I've been trying to make is why doing the things they are doing is bad game design.

Also, there are things that Halo 3 has issues with that are problems as well, just not as bad because they are more purely mechanical than philosophical-wide problems.

Two wrongs don't make a right applies to game design. If a mechanic in your game necessitates another to "cover it up" then you are, simply put, doing it wrong.

Chettlar. The problem is that you asked to be given an example of physics within the game also occurring in the real world. Now for some reason you're arguing against the examples and creating ridiculous scenarios to get across some point no one is understanding.

If you're on about crappy game mechanics such as the stopping power of weapons causing a slow down of the player, I'm sure it's been said that it's a pretty crappy mechanic numerous times.

No idea why you're going into mega post mode over it though.

I'm always in megapost mode. I've been working on that, and I think up till now I've been doing a decent job.

I was trying to explain why it's a bad gameplay mechanic.

If you just go up to Frankles and say "Shooting someone to slow them down is a bad game mechanic" why should he listen to? In your guys' situation specifically, you have such different opinions as it is, so he is even less likely to take them to heart.

You don't convince somebody of something by just saying. You convince them by telling them why.

Part of my explaining this type of stuff is that it also helps me understand game design by attempting to explain it. Any teacher knows teaching helps you learn better than being taught. I am by no means "teaching" anybody here (most of you know much more than me) but the same basic principle applies.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Halo Reach AR was perfect. If you caught someone by surprise in close range you would beat them. AR + Melee wasn't a thing.

But the precision weapons still outclassed it in most situations as they should because they are more finesse weapons that are more fun and satisfying to use.

I played some Halo 4 TS with Tashi and friends earlier this week and we played a game against a bunch of AR users and it was a total
residentsleeper.png
even though we won by a lot.

My ideal AR is one the scrublets can still use while never being able to kill someone better than them unless they get the drop in close range
Totally agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom