• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chettlar

Banned
I'm going to have to quote this again for the new page.

I'm going to slow down and not respond to everybody so much anymore since I feel I've made my point.

I've skipped over a bunch of comments, like the one you quoted. Also, I need a lot of posts to become a member, so I don't have to worry about a permaban for some random mistake if I make one. I really don't want that. And please don't anybody PM me about being careful, that's already been taken care of.

EDIT: mostly I want to know if my point makes sense and isn't totally crazy (forget it if your just going to say yes because you're annoyed.) I pretty much feel like I have.

Sorry, I love talking about game design, and this particular thing (about some reality in games being more important than other) has been on my mind for a while.

I hate the kill times in Halo 4. They feel way to quick. In Halo 3 I felt like I had a chance to react if I was shot from the side or in the back if I felt comfortable reacting aggressively. On Halo 4 I'm normally dead the moment I see who shot me. Not a fan of it at all and it just makes me feel like I'm playing CoD clone #343.

I do not play CoD for this very reason. It's why I hesitate to get Halo 4, despite loving Halo and wanting have every game with that name.

Nebula

I hate the kill times in Halo 4. They feel way to quick. In Halo 3 I felt like I had a chance to react if I was shot from the side or in the back if I felt comfortable reacting aggressively. On Halo 4 I'm normally dead the moment I see who shot me. Not a fan of it at all and it just makes me feel like I'm playing CoD clone #343.

I loved Halo 3 on a good host. The BR didn't dominate at massive ranges and people actually moved around the map to engage each other because the weapon they had (the BR) didn't allow them to camp at the base and shoot half way across the map effectively.

Also aim assist and melee lunge need a massive tone down. I understand we're using a controller but these feel massive compared to past Halo games.

I'm playing Halo 4 if anyone is wondering why I'm posting this now.
Just come off it as it paired me with the same team of 6 for the 3rd time

Mistel

Banned
Any teacher knows teaching helps you learn better than being taught.
If a teacher learns by teaching, others how does the teacher know how to teach?

This gif is appropriate:
hold-on-to-your-butts-o.gif

Ghazi

I like Halo

sorry just wanna be a member, gotta increase that post count

Gotta step it up man, Stormtrooper's already at 450 posts in this OT with Wahrer at a close 2nd. You'll have to do a lot of posting to catch up!

Chettlar

Banned
Gotta step it up man, Stormtrooper's already at 450 posts in this OT with Wahrer at a close 2nd. You'll have to do a lot of posting to catch up!

Um...*raises hand*

Stormtrooper is a member, as per several days ago...

And to Stormtrooper....I'm really, really bad with sarcasm. You know the answer to that question. I'd love to think of it as funny, but...it makes perfect sense to me already? idk.

The last thread I was top poster in got locked and HaloGAF got orders to move.

Never again.

I totally just want to get top poster so I can say I did it and never come close to the list again.

I mean, you guys....*sigh, clicks done* you guys just do not know how hard it is being a junior. Lordy, it's so difficult. We have to make all these posts, and then we have to perfectly good, strait A posters for 3 WHOLE MONTHS. Can you believe it? Can you even comprehend the difficulty here? You guys jest...you don't the troubles I see.

I hate the kill times in Halo 4. They feel way to quick. In Halo 3 I felt like I had a chance to react if I was shot from the side or in the back if I felt comfortable reacting aggressively.

Longer times like in Halo 3 has little to do with you having a chance to react and overpower the other player. It comes down to the weapons themselves having some sort of skill gap and better movement. All longer kill times does, coupled with a deliberately inconsistent utility weapon, is create stale gameplay without much depth and player satisfaction.

Ghazi

Um...*raises hand*

Stormtrooper is a member, as per several days ago...

And to Stormtrooper....I'm really, really bad with sarcasm. You know the answer to that question. I'd love to think of it as funny, but...it makes perfect sense to me already? idk.

I totally just want to get top poster so I can say I did it and never come close to the list again.

Bro, I got top poster the first OT I was involved (not bragging, that's fairly embarrassing to me), then I slowed down. It's the reason I'm not getting involved in trying to convince you to slow down, because I know it'll come naturally. Go through the last couple of pages and look at how many times you've posted in comparison to other members (minus Stormtrooper
and Ora
).

kylej

Banned
I mean, you guys....*sigh, clicks done* you guys just do not know how hard it is being a junior. Lordy, it's so difficult. We have to make all these posts, and then we have to perfectly good, strait A posters for 3 WHOLE MONTHS. Can you believe it? Can you even comprehend the difficulty here? You guys jest...you don't the troubles I see.

is this starwolf

Chettlar

Banned
Longer times like in Halo 3 has little to do with you having a chance to react and overpower the other player. It comes down to the weapons themselves having some sort of skill gap and better movement. All longer kill times does, coupled with a deliberately inconsistent utility weapon, is create stale gameplay without much depth and player satisfaction.

Are you saying we should have fast kill times like in Halo 4?

:( I guess I'll have to move on even further. First it was CoD, then it was Halo, and I didn't even get to stay in either for any really long length of time.

Getting killed quickly is just not fun. It just means you know the map better and got the drop on them.

I'm not saying we should have slow kill times, but I thought Halo 3's (maybe tighten it up a little more like CE, I don't mind too much) was a good balance between the two extremes.

The farther we can stay from anything CoD, the better.

I say we get rid of guns completely.

Ok, that last part might be a little...

---

And am i Wahrer now? Cule.

Bro, I got top poster the first OT I was involved (not bragging, that's fairly embarrassing to me), then I slowed down. It's the reason I'm not getting involved in trying to convince you to slow down, because I know it'll come naturally. Go through the last couple of pages and look at how many times you've posted in comparison to other members (minus Stormtrooper
and Ora
).

I have already. I'm actually rather self-conscious (probably too much), so I do that kind of stuff anyway. :S

And I think it will die down eventually.

Another forum I was in (it's dead now, which makes me sad, since it was a great forum.
I don't want to say this a ton, since it sounds sort of..."me, me" but I was a moderator on it eventually
), had a similar requirement as this one. You had to make 50 posts and be a "plebeian" (or some other silly name like that) for a month. After I had hit 50 posts, I stopped posting completely till the month was over. It actually helped, when I came back (after the initial, first-time-posting-2.0), I slowed down very quickly and started posting at a fairly average pace.

Ok, no more megaposts.

For now. >:D

Nebula

Halo 3 BR feels 10x more satisfying to get a kill with than the Halo 4 BR. Even with the small bullet spread and general registration issues with it not being hitscan.

I get what you're saying about a bad weapon coupled with crap movement creating boring gameplay. I'd go as far as saying that Reach is essentially that.

You guys need to focus your attention on reducing the aim assist, not increasing the kill times. The problem with Halo 4's weapons isn't that they kill fast (lol "kill fast"), the problem is that they're too damn easy to use.

Read my breakdown of that CE match and watch the video to understand what I'm saying. CE had the fastest kill times, but if you were shot first that doesn't mean you were instantly dead and had no chance.. Several times OGRE 2 (one of the best Halo players ever) shot the enemy first and got overpowered because the enemy was strafing and capitalized on missed shots.

Chettlar

Banned
Halo 3 BR feels 10x more satisfying to get a kill with than the Halo 4 BR. Even with the small bullet spread and general registration issues with it not being hitscan.

I get what you're saying about a bad weapon coupled with crap movement creating boring gameplay. I'd go as far as saying that Reach is essentially that.

I literally never had difficulty with Halo 3's BR's bullet spread. A very satisfying gun to use.

You guys need to focus your attention on reducing the aim assist, not increasing the kill times. The problem with Halo 4's weapons isn't that they kill fast (lol "kill fast"), the problem is that they're too damn easy to use.

While I do agree with most of what you say and respect your opinion, I still think Halo 3 had a good kill time.

I do agree kill assist can be very bad when excessive. I've seen videos (on le innernet) that showcase how bad aim assist (and bullet magnetism, that's another issue) really is, so I don't doubt that is another bad aspect in Halo 4.

Even in just normal videos I can see how bad it is. "Wha...wahaaaa, he didn't even hit him!?" is my response most of the time.

Read my breakdown of that CE match and watch the video to understand what I'm saying. CE had the fastest kill times, but if you were shot first that doesn't mean you were instantly dead and had no chance.. Several times OGRE 2 (one of the best Halo players ever) shot the enemy first and got overpowered because the enemy was strafing and capitalized on missed shots.

I did, and that's how it should be. I still disagree that Halo 3 did this badly. Whatever.

is this starwolf

Well, we already established that I'm you, so if you're fine being starwolf, I'm fine being you being starwolf.

Nebula

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96902477&postcount=8211

That's a post by me not that long ago. I understand that aim assist is a huge culprit in Halo 4 feeling like such a crap game. I was just saying the kill times definitely played a huge part in it, which is obviously linked to all the weapons having little to no skill gap because of the huge aim assist they have.

rawr.

Wonderful thread by the way.

Chettlar

Banned
Really quick question that is completely ot, but nobody has responded to me in the other thread.

Are we allowed to claim rights to making the OT of a game in the OT OT if it has only been hinted at being published?

The game I am thinking of has had interest in it expressed several times, and it is likely that it will be released sometime in the future from what we know.

Juniors are allowed to claim titles. That is confirmed. I can, as long as I'm a member with posting status when the time comes to make the OT. I only desire organization and posting of the thread. I will gladly accept help for things like graphic work and the like, just for the record.

I do agree kill assist can be very bad when excessive. I've seen videos (on le innernet) that showcase how bad aim assist (and bullet magnetism, that's another issue) really is, so I don't doubt that is another bad aspect in Halo 4.

Even in just normal videos I can see how bad it is. "Wha...wahaaaa, he didn't even hit him!?" is my response most of the time.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96902477&postcount=8211

That's a post by me not that long ago. I understand that aim assist is a huge culprit in Halo 4 feeling like such a crap game. I was just saying the kill times definitely played a huge part in it, which is obviously linked to all the weapons having little to no skill gap because of the huge aim assist they have.

This video is why aim assist (bullet magnetism, auto aim, crosshair stickiness, etc.) is more problematic than having fast kill times. CE kill times were potentially fast if you could land 3sk's, but when many people can easily land the minimum shots required to kill in the fastest time, the problem lays with the depth of said weapons.

So that's why I disagree with your usage of kill times having a "huge impact" on gameplay when in practice, it's mostly due to other issues like high levels of aim assist and poor movement options like sluggish walking speed or poor strafe.

EDIT: I bring all this up because it reminds me of people demanding a BR nerf in Halo 3 when the problems were with the rest of the weapons not being up to par.

I literally never had difficulty with Halo 3's BR's bullet spread. A very satisfying gun to use.

Until you play off USA host...bullet refund, bullet spread, non-hitscan...Ugh. Even on LAN this past weekend we all preferred Halo 2 or 4 over 3. We barely played Halo 3 at all TBH. The maps in 3 were great but I could leave the gameplay behind when compared to 2 or 4. And I loved Halo 3 ranked objective, weird, I guess it hasn't aged well for me.

If Halo 2/3 objective maps and settings were put into Halo 4's engine and current sandbox I'd be in heaven. I don't pretend to know more than game developers but please can we just simplify the great stuff from Halo's past and not reinvent the Halo wheel again?

EDIT - Also why aren't CE or 2 available in GonD? It sucks not having them. I found two of my Halo 2 game boxes...both empty. Thank fuck a mate brought 3 copies so we could get our Halo 2 on. CE didn't fair too great, only 4 copies from 9 LAN guys made it to the party...I wanted to play more CE TBH.

Chettlar

Banned
This video is why aim assist (bullet magnetism, auto aim, crosshair stickiness, etc.) is more problematic than having fast kill times. CE kill times were potentially fast if you could land 3sk's, but when many people can easily land the minimum shots required to kill in the fastest time, the problem lays with the depth of said weapons.

So that's why I disagree with your usage of kill times having a "huge impact" on gameplay when in practice, it's mostly due to other issues like high levels of aim assist and poor movement options like sluggish walking speed.

I think they are both big, just that aim assist and all those other things are more of an issue, as you said.

One shot kills are no fun ever, because they give utterly no time to respond (by nature of you being dead mostly). If they are in the game, then they should require a good deal of skill to do (which for the most part the Sniper is. The Sniper in Halo 4 is sickeningly magnetic from what I can see).

Until you play off USA host...bullet refund, bullet spread, non-hitscan...Ugh. Even on LAN this past weekend we all preferred Halo 2 or 4 over 3. We barely played Halo 3 at all TBH. The maps in 3 were great but I could leave the gameplay behind when compared to 2 or 4. And I loved Halo 3 ranked objective, weird, I guess it hasn't aged well for me.

If Halo 2/3 objective maps and settings were put into Halo 4's engine and current sandbox I'd be in heaven. I don't pretend to know more than game developers but please can we just simplify the great stuff from Halo's past and not reinvent the Halo wheel again?

Take Halo 4's feel, sound, and graphics, give it Halo 2/3's mechanics.

And make sure the Halo CE AR is in

Ramirez

Really quick question that is completely ot, but nobody has responded to me in the other thread.

Are we allowed to claim rights to making the OT of a game in the OT OT if it has only been hinted at being published?

The game I am thinking of has had interest in it expressed several times, and it is likely that it will be released sometime in the future from what we know.

Juniors are allowed to claim titles. That is confirmed. I can, as long as I'm a member with posting status when the time comes to make the OT. I only desire organization and posting of the thread. I will gladly accept help for things like graphic work and the like, just for the record.

No one reads the OT, why bother?

Ghazi

EDIT - Also why aren't CE or 2 available in GonD? It sucks not having them. I found two of my Halo 2 game boxes...both empty. Thank fuck a mate brought 3 copies so we could get our Halo 2 on. CE didn't fair too great, only 4 copies from 9 LAN guys made it to the party...I wanted to play more CE TBH.

CE is available in the arcade.

Halo 2 is not available GoD or Arcade iirc.

Nebula

So that's why I disagree with your usage of kill times having a "huge impact" on gameplay when in practice, it's mostly due to other issues like high levels of aim assist and poor movement options like sluggish walking speed or poor strafe.

EDIT: I bring all this up because it reminds me of people demanding a BR nerf in Halo 3 when the problems were with the rest of the weapons not being up to par.

I was agreeing with you. I guess I didn't word my response well enough. I guess what I was trying to say it that the aim assist in Halo 4 gave a lot more players access to a fast kill which makes the game boring. I'll not try rewording it again.

I don't even know why I'm bothering with half of this. I just want to plow people with my vehicles and not get shit on by Armour Lock, Plasma Pistols, Plasma Grenades and small arms fire 24/7.

Chettlar

Banned
No one reads the OT, why bother?

Evilore apparently initiated the original OT OT, so if you're refering to that, it's because I don't want to get in trouble.

And if you're referring to the OT I want to do...um yes, lots of people read OTs...

And plus I just love this particular game to bits. It's the only OT I really want to do.

What game, out of curiosity?

I want to say, but then somebody else could claim it. :/ It's like my favorite game of all time (It's not Halo though. I don't plan on claiming one of those for quite some time if ever.)

I'll link it here if anybody wants me too once I've made the post.

I was agreeing with you. I guess I didn't word my response well enough.

I think we all were, for the most part.

Ora

Banned
Evilore apparently initiated the original OT OT, so if you're refering to that, it's because I don't want to get in trouble.

And if you're referring to the OT I want to do...um yes, lots of people read OTs...

And plus I just love this particular game to bits. It's the only OT I really want to do.

What game?

Ghazi

You should tell us what game?

There's a good chance it's taken, as most OTs are claimed at popular games' announcement or whatever unless people really don't care about the game.

Chettlar

Banned
You should tell us what game?

There's a good chance it's taken, as most OTs are claimed at popular games' announcement or whatever unless people really don't care about the game.

It isn't taken. It's technically unannounced.

If somebody feels they will be able to tell me, I guess you could PM me.

It's Hamburger Guns isn't it

My way of coming up with something silly and simple to illustrate my point. I have a weird mind lol.

Tawpgun

No ones gonna put forth the effort to make an OT here, dont worry.

What game?

And stop being so scared of getting in trouble

Too many times, you have no idea how frustrating it was with that netcode and dominate weapon. It was nucking futs. Literally dozens and dozens of Halo 3 friends couldn't get 50's due to it, and they are/were way better players than me.

You need to request OT creation/claiming in this sticky thread

CE is available in the arcade.

Halo 2 is not available GoD or Arcade iirc.

Now you tell me :)

Madness

Seriously what was the discussion about the past several pages? Whether bullets should be able to stop Spartans if they are getting shot in the back?

I should probably claim the Halo Xbox One/5 OT. Any objections? Thoughts?

Good by me and should get it off to a good start with you as the creator. Bang a new HaloGAF podcast and get Frankie & Co back for it as part of the OT :)

Does anyone here need a Spartan Assault for X1 code? I have one spare and happy to give it away.

wwm0nkey

Off-topic but if you loved ChromeHounds or always regretted not playing it (you should feel bad), next month is going to be pretty cool :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom