• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghazi

Off-topic but if you loved ChromeHounds or always regretted not playing it (you should feel bad), next month is going to be pretty cool :)

Is it going to be Games With Gold or whatever?

And Tashi AND SPEEDY, read the TOS.

EvilLore said:
E. Self-Promotion and Spam

Do not create new threads promoting a product or service you have any involvement in, or paste PR materials for promotional purposes, or attempt to embed referral links in your posts to generate revenue. If an existing discussion is taking place directly involving something you are associated with, you may participate in order to answer questions, clarify details, and otherwise engage with the community, but as a person, not an advertisement.

m23

Ordered Mortal Dictata today, along with Halo Evolutions since I never really read it. I hope the new book can keep me interested enough to finish it.

My vote for Halo 5 OT goes towards a collaboration thread between Speedy, Wahrer, zoojoo and Stormtrooper (to make sure it's handled properly and full of Jurassic Park gifs).
.and Ramirez.

Tawpgun

Off-topic but if you loved ChromeHounds or always regretted not playing it (you should feel bad), next month is going to be pretty cool :)

Assuming its going to be free.

But aren't the servers down for it? No point in Chromehounds if there's no Neroimus War

Fuchsdh

Ordered Mortal Dictata today, along with Halo Evolutions since I never really read it. I hope the new book can keep me interested enough to finish it.

Well, I can't speak to Mortal Dictata's quality obviously, but you're in for a treat with Evolutions. Some great stories in there, and I can only think of one that was an actual stinker.

I know this was hours ago and all but this
The AR in 4 is quite OP arguably better than the Saw
is just ridiculous. The saw is actually balanced to have a kill time exactly half of that of the AR. When 343 did that weapon balancing update in which the AR got a damage boost, they actually buffed the saw too. Seriously. That gun just destroys. Call it down and play with one hand while you drink your Mountain Dew and eat Dorritos with the other, it's easy mode.

wwm0nkey

Looks like a Chromehounds Alpha lol. Is there gonna be a war mode?
Yep that's the main mode. There will also be an arena and siege mode if you don't want to do the war mode 24/7.

Also are you looking at old or new screens? Old screens looked like ass lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I just threw it out there because I think I'm the last of the older HaloGAF members who is still heavily involved in this community and Halo in general. Just felt like I should step up and do it. But I'm open to voting on whoever if someone else really wants to do it. It's not a big deal.

I just threw it out there because I think I'm the last of the older HaloGAF members who is still heavily involved in this community and Halo in general. Just felt like I should step up and do it. But I'm open to voting on whoever if someone else really wants to do it. It's not a big deal.

image.php

You're going to love my |OT| for Halo One, Tashi. I'll make you proud. ;D

lFBYcFY.jpg

You have my sword.

Chettlar

Banned
Sorry for delay guys. I have things to do.

I didn't meant to make a big deal out of it.

It's Viva Pinata 3. There are several articles where Microsoft and Rare have both expressed interest in making a third (I'm not counting the DS version).

If it ever gets made, I every so do want to make the OT.

I should probably just go ahead and claim it. I doubt it will hurt.

<3 that game.

That's what I mean when I said the "OT OT"

Seriously what was the discussion about the past several pages? Whether bullets should be able to stop Spartans if they are getting shot in the back?

That was part of it. It was essentially me saying that slowing a Spartan down because he is getting hit with bullets no matter the angle is unrealistic and frustrating -- most importantly, it demonstrates why sprint is a bad mechanic, because the developer must now cover it with an equally bad mechanic.

My "Hamburger Guns" post explains why. I know I'm a junior...but heh tag please.
I know it never works lol.

Chettlar, Heckfu done sold you out dawg.

Nah, he obviously doesn't understand the physics of business.

Oh snap.

If we're voting. My vote goes to you doing it.

You done a lot of OTs? At any rate, you should definitely colab with others anyway.

I get to make one of the graphics/headline things.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I'm the last of the older HaloGAF members... who is still heavily involved in Halo in general.

There are still plenty of OG HaloGAF involved with Halo to varying degrees, who simply don't post as much, for whatever reasons.

You're hardly the last shinning knight of the old guard.

If I did another proper Halo OT, it would probably come across much more sycophantic than your own efforts. GAF just doesn't seem to want those type of in-depth, meaningful, regularly updated OT's any more. Mods discourage them and folks praise smaller, shorter OT's these days.

You guys need to focus your attention on reducing the aim assist, not increasing the kill times. The problem with Halo 4's weapons isn't that they kill fast (lol "kill fast"), the problem is that they're too damn easy to use.

Read my breakdown of that CE match and watch the video to understand what I'm saying. CE had the fastest kill times, but if you were shot first that doesn't mean you were instantly dead and had no chance.. Several times OGRE 2 (one of the best Halo players ever) shot the enemy first and got overpowered because the enemy was strafing and capitalized on missed shots.

Maybe but AR + stopping power is a killer. Really if you and a mate just ran around with ARs together you could clean house. Once that AR gets into you from the side or back you are finished.

Of course stopping power is in there because of sprint but whateves. I think also the DMR has got to go. I play about 1000 times better with the DMR. Its got to much range/aim assist.

Omni

Mortal whatever comes out on the 21st, right? I should get around to ordering that on iTunes. Don't bother buying paper or hard backs these days becuase they take like a month to get to where I live.

Tashi

There are still plenty of OG HaloGAF involved with Halo to varying degrees, who simply don't post as much, for whatever reasons.

You're hardly the last shinning knight of the old guard.

If I did another proper Halo OT, it would probably come across much more sycophantic than your own efforts. GAF just doesn't seem to want those type of in-depth, meaningful, regularly updated OT's any more. Mods discourage them and folks praise smaller, shorter OT's these days.

Well that's why I mentioned heavily involved in this community, HaloGAF.

KevinRo

People talking about realism and Halo still haha. It's been over a decade and there have been how many games? 15? And you're still arguing about realism in the Halo universe?

Saying plasma slows takes the control out of the hand's of the player is a shit idea to make up as an excuse, tbh. What kind of construct is that for FPS where you can't affect player movement and take away their 'control'?

Explain to me what happens when you get knocked out of zoom by bullets? When a rocket hits you in almost any FPS? When grandes hit you? Oh, but you're not supposed to take 'control' out of the players hands. Seriously, gtfo. If anything, it's a mechanic that needs to be applied more in a watered down genre.

Plasma slows was an amazing mechanic for a weapon that had no other use than removing your shield faster than human weapons. It even had a drawback where it would overheat. How fucking genius is that? It was fucking genius. Why not nerf something like clip size or reload rate or spawn rate. Don't fuckign remove the best part of the weapon.

It's a shame that gameplay mechanics like that and quick reload in GoW have been stopped in it's tracks because of CoD.

Maybe but AR + stopping power is a killer. Really if you and a mate just ran around with ARs together you could clean house. Once that AR gets into you from the side or back you are finished.

Of course stopping power is in there because of sprint but whateves. I think also the DMR has got to go. I play about 1000 times better with the DMR. Its got to much range/aim assist.

The DMR has had enough rebalancing thanks. It's barely worth picking up on most maps as it is now. Removal? No thanks. The BR is basically very close to where "all" players want it, let's not bring it back to 95%+ dominance.

I love the BR but after 2/3 and now 4 giving it preference I just don't want to lose the DMR. Precision shot is my choice, especially in light of dedis.

EDIT - @KevinRo yes they should bring back Plasma Stun, it actually gave you a reason to learn circle strafing and was one of the few close quarter tactics that worked against the pistol.

Ghazi

The only way the OT creator is chosen is in a 1v1 MLG gametype custom game, livestreamed. First to 50 kills, winner takes OT rights.

RIP Speedy.

Nebula

Damage Boost is pretty whack yo.

Ghazi has the right idea. |OT| Tournament. Winner moves on to next round. Overall winner gets to pick who makes the |OT|. This allows everyone to participate. To stop trolling or whatever, you can only pick people who already volunteered.

Tashi

It appears it's been taken, now that I look at the OT OT.

You could claim it anyway, say, if Halo 5 ends up not being this Halo One they announced at E3, I suppose.

Not a big deal. I mean, it would make for sense for a HaloGAF member to do it instead of that random GAF member. Speedy seems to really want to do it, so that's fine with me.

Chettlar

Banned
Not a big deal. I mean, it would make for sense for a HaloGAF member to do it instead of that random GAF member. Speedy seems to really want to do it, so that's fine with me.

Soo...you dont' consider yourself HaloGAF?

How do we decide who is part of HaloGAF then?

The only the OT creator is chosen is in a 1v1 MLG gametype custom game, livestreamed. First to 50 kills, winner takes OT rights.

How good is BraXzy then? He claimed it, apparently.

Madness

129161956729992540.gif

You've got no objections from me #HireTashi

wwm0nkey

Ill make the OT. It will have a lot about MurderMiners, ChromeHounds and Megaman Legends with a small mention of Halo 2 at the end, it'll be perfect.

Today I learned that HaloGAF seems to have a very poor understanding of physics. Why do bullets slow you down when they hit you? Well in "real life" the simple explanation is that you just got fucking shot. But conservation of momentum is the answer you're looking for.

I don't know much about weapons, so a google search of "50 caliber bullet mass" gave me 55.4 g at with a velocity of 820 m/s from some Wikipedia page. Sure. So that bullet has momentum of about 45 kg-m/s. Let's say all of that momentum is transferred to the target on impact (it won't be) but that's the easiest scenario. To make things easy, say the target is 100 kg moving at 5 m/s. 500 kg-m/s. So if all of the momentum is transferred to the target, the target's momentum is decreased by about 9%.

That is how being shot slows you down. Now add in all the future technology and and sci-fi bullshit on top of that, and there you go.

I would be more likely to agree with this. I'll let Halo 5 do the final blow for us though.
We were all going to just merge into and slowly overtake DestinyGAF anyways, weren't we?

That was my plan at least. DestinyGAF is gonna be weird. It's basically going to be HaloGAF, but with more randoms.

Ghazi

We were all going to just merge and slowly overtake DestinyGAF anyways, weren't we?

That was my plan at least. DestinyGAF is gonna be weird. It's basically going to be HaloGAF, but with more randoms.

Not really, there are a lot more people than just HaloGAF interested in the game. Probably because it looks good, unlike the current state of modern Halo.

IHaveIce

Banned
How the hell is the next Halo game OT claimed by a non-Halogaffer. Please don't tell me he is one of those "Halo 4 was awesome, Halo 2 and ODST are shit"- guys.

Also no Speedy OT

Chettlar

Banned
Today I learned that HaloGAF seems to have a very poor understanding of physics. Why do bullets slow you down when they hit you? Well in "real life" the simple explanation is that you just got fucking shot. But conservation of momentum is the answer you're looking for.

I don't know much about weapons, so a google search of "50 caliber bullet mass" gave me 55.4 g at with a velocity of 820 m/s from some Wikipedia page. Sure. So that bullet has momentum of about 45 kg-m/s. Let's say all of that momentum is transferred to the target on impact (it won't be) but that's the easiest scenario. To make things easy, say the target is 100 kg moving at 5 m/s. 500 kg-m/s. So if all of the momentum is transferred to the target, the target's momentum is decreased by about 9%.

That is how being shot slows you down. Now add in all the future technology and and sci-fi bullshit on top of that, and there you go.

Beautiful explanation. Too bad it doesn't explain why being shot at from behind slows you down. It's arbitrary, and I've already explained why it's bad game design.

Why are we even talking about the Halo 5 OT? At the very least it's months away.

Because I asked about whether I should do the Viva Pinata 3 OT and that somehow reminded Tashi he wanted to do the Halo 5 OT if nobody else was. Whatever.

Nebula

Beautiful explanation. Too bad it doesn't explain why being shot at from behind slows you down. It's arbitrary, and I've already explained why it's bad game design.

It slows you down because 343 intended for it to slow you down. It's that simple. You don't need to bring in any science or shit because it's a game. It'll function how the developer wants it to function.

Also repeatedly breaking the spawn trap on sandbox in a 2 v 6 is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom