• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DMR has had enough rebalancing thanks. It's barely worth picking up on most maps as it is now. Removal? No thanks. The BR is basically very close to where "all" players want it, let's not bring it back to 95%+ dominance.

I love the BR but after 2/3 and now 4 giving it preference I just don't want to lose the DMR. Precision shot is my choice, especially in light of dedis.

The DMR has been rebalanced because its overpowered and easy to use with the addition of the AA's. It's not precision at all, actually I think landing and winning a BR battle is a lot more difficult. You can hit an opposing player on Haven over the half point line on the map, that is ridiculous. It's basically a camping weapon at long range.

Today I learned that HaloGAF seems to have a very poor understanding of physics. Why do bullets slow you down when they hit you? Well in "real life" the simple explanation is that you just got fucking shot. But conservation of momentum is the answer you're looking for.

I don't know much about weapons, so a google search of "50 caliber bullet mass" gave me 55.4 g at with a velocity of 820 m/s from some Wikipedia page. Sure. So that bullet has momentum of about 45 kg-m/s. Let's say all of that momentum is transferred to the target on impact (it won't be) but that's the easiest scenario. To make things easy, say the target is 100 kg moving at 5 m/s. 500 kg-m/s. So if all of the momentum is transferred to the target, the target's momentum is decreased by about 9%.

That is how being shot slows you down. Now add in all the future technology and and sci-fi bullshit on top of that, and there you go.

You are defending stopping power ...in a Halo game?

Chettlar

Banned
It slows you down because 343 intended for it to slow you down. It's that simple. You don't need to bring in any science or shit because it's a game. It'll function how the developer wants it to function.

Also repeatedly breaking the spawn trap on sandbox in a 2 v 6 is hilarious.

I'm not upset because science. Have you bothered to read my "megapost" (quotes because it's not the huge) about hamburger guns? That post explains why I believe it is bad design, beyond the whole "it has to cover up for sprint."

How the hell is the next Halo game OT claimed by a non-Halogaffer. Please don't tell me he is one of those "Halo 4 was awesome, Halo 2 and ODST are shit"- guys.

Also no Speedy OT

I think anyone who posts regularly in these threads has any right as any. This place has been a lot friendlier since we got bounced and brought back (Hola)

There aren't many Halo players left, let's not segregate us any further.

Nebula

I thought it was a scientific explanation as to why Spartans are slowed by bullets. I wouldn't call it defending the mechanic. Just explaining it scientifically.

I'm not upset because science. Have you bothered to read my "megapost" (quotes because it's not the huge) about hamburger guns? That post explains why I believe it is bad design, beyond the whole "it has to cover up for sprint."

But you're asking us to explain why being shot from behind slows you down. I was just trying to answer that. I'm not carrying on with the subject anymore.

Chettlar

Banned
I think anyone who posts regularly in these threads has any right as any. This place has been a lot friendlier since we got bounced and brought back (Hola)

There aren't many Halo players left, let's not segregate us any further.

Yeah don't do anything more to The Last of Us....Oh sh-----

I thought it was a scientific explanation as to why Spartans are slowed by bullets. I wouldn't call it defending the mechanic. Just explaining it scientifically.

So. You're not going to bother to read my argument, but still continue to argue with my position.

Wonderful.

Also, his explanation isn't as impressive as you might think. He has number that he knows, but it's not "OMYGODCHETTLARISWRONGBECAUSESCIENCEOHBURN."

---

Halo 3 OST just came up on Pandora. MMMM-MMMMMM!!!! Liked.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Oh! Shifty, I forgot to mention but on your T1 version of Melting Point the rockets fell through the floor under where they're supposed to spawn. Didn't get a chance to check it out in Forge however. Just a heads up.

Beautiful explanation. Too bad it doesn't explain why being shot at from behind slows you down. It's arbitrary, and I've already explained why it's bad game design.
Yeah that's just a design decision. But it's a sci-fi game, so I can make an explanation, watch.
Spartan shielding systems encumber movement while actively deflecting projectiles.
Now you try! Anything works as long as it sounds like it might make sense in some future civilization lol.

That's what you got out of my post? ...ok then.

Nebula

So. You're not going to bother to read my argument, but still continue to argue with my position..

That post wasn't even directed at you remotely. It was explaining to someone else that the post wasn't a defense of the stopping power mechanic, but a scientific explanation of it. No arguing any points anywhere within that particular post.

Do you think I'm defending the mechanic by the way?

Omni

Because I asked about whether I should do the Viva Pinata 3 OT and that somehow reminded Tashi he wanted to do the Halo 5 OT if nobody else was. Whatever.
Why would you ask about the Viva Piñata 3 OT in this thread? *shrugs*

Why are we arguing against slow down again? As long as sprint is in the game, there needs to be slow down. And sprint isn't going anywhere. I can remember so many situations in Reach where people would get themselves into a bad situation and would be able to just run away.

Bullets discussion?

abe-simpson-gif.gif

The DMR has been rebalanced because its overpowered and easy to use with the addition of the AA's. It's not precision at all, actually I think landing and winning a BR battle is a lot more difficult. You can hit an opposing player on Haven over the half point line on the map, that is ridiculous. It's basically a camping weapon at long range.

I agree the DMR was OP prior to turbo update, in the current sandbox however I disagree and feel it has its role firmly in place for long range battles only. DMR rarely wins at mid range these days. I could go a tweak to strafe acceleration which would help reduce the DMR's effectiveness at long range and increase the "skill" in aiming other weapons at close+mid ranges too.

As for AA's realistically the jetpack has the same benefits for a BR, at long range you should be moving near cover or timing your run to avoid continuous fire. As for promethean vision again BR/DMR have much the same benefits and it's not too great and long or extreme ranges. Regen is again much the same between BR/DMR/LR etc.

As for camo AA, which is what you're really talking about then I agree. Personally I think it applies to snipers and DMR/LR at long ranges. Perhaps camo could have an effective radius range for modes with AA's? I think that halts sniper/DMR/LR+camo camping but still allows it to be effective in close+mid ranges.

Looking into next gen we'll definitely see a reduction in things like bullet magnetism so I don't think it's worth debating that sort of stuff at the moment. Personally I feel it will be far more skill based than any P2P precision weapon, burst or single shot, could hope to be.

Having physically inaccurate gameplay doesn't matter at all as long as the player has an understanding of cause and effect (which any good game will give them). Basic physics is only relevant to gameplay because it's a set of rules players can generally understand without explanation.

nillapuddin

I haven't been around today, but this just crossed my mind, I'd like to take on the next OT. I know its lame to talk about this stuff, but just saying.

Also, his explanation isn't as impressive as you might think. He has number that he knows, but it's not "OMYGODCHETTLARISWRONGBECAUSESCIENCEOHBURN."
It's sad how mythical science seems to people. Not a dig on you personally or anything, just the tendency for people to get defensive and mistrust that which they don't understand. Reminds me of the lunatics on Fox News acting like global warming is some conspiracy by the scientific community.

Anyways, you put mechanics into a video game for balance, not realism. Halo happens to have the benefit of being a sci-fi game where explanations can be fabricated and still kind of make sense, if people so desire. But still, balance comes first.

I agree the DMR was OP prior to turbo update, in the current sandbox however I disagree and feel it has its role firmly in place for long range battles only. DMR rarely wins at mid range these days. I could go a tweak to strafe acceleration which would help reduce the DMR's effectiveness at long range and increase the "skill" in aiming other weapons at close+mid ranges too.

As for AA's realistically the jetpack has the same benefits for a BR, at long range you should be moving near cover or timing your run to avoid continuous fire. As for promethean vision again BR/DMR have much the same benefits and it's not too great and long or extreme ranges. Regen is again much the same between BR/DMR/LR etc.

As for camo AA, which is what you're really talking about then I agree. Personally I think it applies to snipers and DMR/LR at long ranges. Perhaps camo could have an effective radius range for modes with AA's? I think that halts sniper/DMR/LR+camo camping but still allows it to be effective in close+mid ranges.

Looking into next gen we'll definitely see a reduction in things like bullet magnetism so I don't think it's worth debating that sort of stuff at the moment. Personally I feel it will be far more skill based than any P2P precision weapon, burst or single shot, could hope to be.

I agree with mostly what you are saying but the issue is how the DMR affects most of the maps and experience of the game in general. Play on Ragnorok now with DMR (and Sprint) Its terrible. The ability to ping people across the map removes most of the midrange game anyway. Think about it, out of the box what midrange game was there? Yes, the forge maps and Throwdown help but the DMR is a pick up weapon. I do think it's decent at mid range as well. IDK, maybe it works better as a pick up weapon on the map.

Nebula

We were all going to just merge into and slowly overtake DestinyGAF anyways, weren't we?

That was my plan at least. DestinyGAF is gonna be weird. It's basically going to be HaloGAF, but with more randoms.

BorderlandsGAF with HaloGAF and whatever else happens to jump in the soup.

Oh! Shifty, I forgot to mention but on your T1 version of Melting Point the rockets fell through the floor under where they're supposed to spawn. Didn't get a chance to check it out in Forge however. Just a heads up.

Already fixed it, Fated told me about it. New version should be up in my fileshare.

Incoming megaquote...

I have said relatively little of what I think of the Halo 4's AR's balance
Could have fooled me...

Chettlar said:
I know I say this as a relative noob
Could have fooled me...

Bullet's don't slow people down in real life
Could have fooled me...

A guy hitting another guy doesn't slow him down. It actually accelerates his speed for a moment.
Could have fooled me...
"slowing down" and speed != acceleration. You stopping dead is because you were accelerated.

I haven't taken super complex physics
Could have fooled me...

the bullet, since it is supposed to go into him, will have even less resistance
2aed7dS.gif

Just a simple question, have you ever shot a gun?
Yes

How much?
Many fucking times. Many different guns. Many millions of rounds. Really.

First of all, my point still stands that adding another mechanic to fix a broken/unnecessary one is bad thinking. That's the main point of my posts thus far.
Could have fooled me...

Halo is not that unrealistic.
Could have fooled me...

I'm always in megapost mode. I've been working on that, and I think up till now I've been doing a decent job.
Could have fooled me...

teaching helps you learn better than being taught
Could have fooled me...
Demonstration of knowledge and understanding is better than rote memorization, but providing awareness of available knowledge is an important part of teaching

I'm going to slow down
Could have fooled me...

I need a lot of posts to become a member, so I don't have to worry about a permaban for some random mistake if I make one. I really don't want that.
too much irony for a coherent reply to this one, sorry.

Ok, no more megaposts.
Could have fooled me...

I literally never had difficulty with Halo 3's BR's bullet spread. A very satisfying gun to use.
Could have fooled me...
Probably the first time I've agreed with much of anything Ozzy has said. What have you done?

While I do agree with most of what you say and respect your opinion
Agree to disagree, mate!

I have things to do.
Could have fooled me...

I'm not upset because science.
Could have fooled me...

This is mostly just since I left and came back from dinner...and you wonder if there's anything wrong with it...My ignore list has officially doubled. Congrats.

Shoutouts to Zoso <3

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just the ordinance falling through an invisible hole between some of the forge objects. Basically i just filled in the gap with another object.

Ahh ok. Reserving judgment of the map until I play the version with obtainable rockets.

Mix

My first day of College is tomorrow and the start of my fifth week at my boring ass job and my girlfriend just broke up with me!

Let's play Halo!
Anyone got Halo 2 vista wanna play for a bit?

blamite

IMO if Halo is going to have sprint it's probably better to have stopping power than not, but really sprint shouldn't be there in the first place so

I agree with mostly what you are saying but the issue is how the DMR affects most of the maps and experience of the game in general. Play on Ragnorok now with DMR (and Sprint) Its terrible. The ability to ping people across the map removes most of the midrange game anyway. Think about it, out of the box what midrange game was there? Yes, the forge maps and Throwdown help but the DMR is a pick up weapon. I do think it's decent at mid range as well. IDK, maybe it works better as a pick up weapon on the map.

I don't find Ragnarok that bad really, I find it more dominated by vehicles in BTB than DMR's. Usually the teams are fighting for top mid and splintered down left or right sides so and they're mostly selecting BR's in their loadouts. Perhaps you're right in 5v5 slayer but I don't play that often. CTF Ragnarok is fine with the current DMR, as is BTB.

I can see how map movement is hindered when/if 5 players all have DMRs but that just doesn't pop up much anymore.

Generally I have two loadouts because I can't be arsed with the meta of it all, one has firepower with DMR/BR so I can actually use the DMR sometimes. The other is BR with stability for obvious reasons.

When I play H3 or did play ranked I found I did the same with the BR, pinged players or especially snipers from long to extreme distances. The burst fire even at long ranges simply meant hitting your target to descope them as easily as you liked. The H4 DMR does let you finish enemies off more often but I think the current H4 has reduced the DMR being so prevalent. The map movement issue may still persist but it doesn't show up often because DMR's are rarely in play I suppose.

If the vote setting has loadouts I don't want the DMR as a pickup, I guess that's the subjectivity of it but hey if I can get some DMR in then I'm going for it. Even the Ragnarok example has me primary DMR at start but once top mid or base/cave approaching it's switch to BR. A pretty continuous switch when traversing the map really. With heavily vehicles like banshee/mantis it's rare the DMR/team DMR is controlling the map.

Not to be a broken record but again for the classic arena variant I'm happy to lose the DMR completely or a map pickup but the default objective/BTB variants I don't see this issue any more.

IMO if Halo is going to have sprint it's probably better to have stopping power than not, but really sprint shouldn't be there in the first place so

There has been a good Waypoint thread (5 pages or so) sprint vs. no sprint on this today/yesterday and a wild 3 Legged Goat appears (3rd post and many others) with the no sprint camp firmly debated for.

My take on sprint vs. no sprint for HX1:

After LAN'ing all the Halo's this weekend with 8 mates, everyone had multiple times used the joke "where is sprint" in all games without Sprint. We played Halo 2 & 4 the most. I've also played since CE day one and have 10,000's of games with 50's in Halo 3. I have never been an MLG player but I am a competitive default ranked player with experience in solo/team searching. Just some things for context reference.

To me it's more about the maps and settings than sprint itself. IMO there would be nothing wrong with smaller maps and a classic style mode/playlist without sprint AND other modes/playlists that have larger maps with sprint. Why can't we do this? A simple icon and loading screen with the settings displayed would suffice, just like Halo 2 had. Further player toggles would enable modes/playlist and voting even further.

Basic variety, streamlined playlists and player toggles caters for everyone and in Forge simply allow sprint to be toggled or become a pick up etc. As for the pause from when coming out of sprint this should be faster IMO, it would save the interruption to battle but still provide enough for 1 shot by the player not sprinting but slightly punishing the player who sprinted. Currently if you're caught sprinting you'll often be down 2 or 3 shots before you're ready to fire back.

I feel overall having sprint and no sprint across modes doesn't splinter the game drastically, like Reach, but allows the modes/playlist variety all the same.

TL;DR: If maps are designed with/out sprint then they each have their place. Some basic settings should allow sprint toggled and the weapon readiness coming out of sprint should be quicker.

Add to the above that strafe acceleration should be buffed, as I've been replying to jhferry about the DMR. I think this buff improves the sandbox, sprint/map movement, DMR and a few other tid-bits. Further add to this the dedis reducing bullet magnetism and it would deliver a highly skilled "core game" interchangeable between respective playlists.

The moment he mentioned canon I stopped reading. I'm sorry but even mentioning canon aspects when arguing for/against an element of multiplayer is silly at best.

I didn't link it just for the OP (in favour of sprint), I think you'll find many other replies detailed or explained well and it's a solid cross section of the various player subjectiveness regarding sprint. That is what I considered "good" about the thread.

Madness

The moment he mentioned canon I stopped reading. I'm sorry but even mentioning canon aspects when arguing for/against an element of multiplayer is silly at best.

It's simple, CoD and other shooters have sprint, Halo has to have sprint. CoD has perks/loadouts, Halo needs them too. Who cares if they utterly shit up the gameplay. Wasn't there someone here who wanted sprint because he wanted to feel like his Spartan was moving fast as opposed to walking.

belushy

Banned
I just re installed the GFWL application after the game was installed and then it all worked smoothly again.

Also if you guys do re install it. do the following

Download DSfix
-put all files into the root Halo 2 folder
-Open dsfix.ini
-Force borderless windowed mode
-Force Windowed mode
-Unlock FPS to 60 or higher
*if using a non supported resolution just enter it in the resolution options.

So I seem to have the game working now after just reinstalling. Guess GFWL was my problem.

Anyway, I tried what you said above... and this happened.

:(

Nebula

I really don't like the OP of that thread Ozzy. One of his arguments is that sprint is what you expect of a modern FPS and it makes the game more fun. My head hurts. I'm going bed.

It's simple, CoD and other shooters have sprint, Halo has to have sprint. CoD has perks/loadouts, Halo needs them too. Who cares if they utterly shit up the gameplay. Wasn't there someone here who wanted sprint because he wanted to feel like his Spartan was moving fast as opposed to walking.

I don't play other shooters for multiplayer really and I like sprint in some modes. I do want classic arena Halo back, just not 100% of the game.

I really don't like the OP of that thread Ozzy. One of his arguments is that sprint is what you expect of a modern FPS and it makes the game more fun. My head hurts. I'm going bed.

After LAN play of all Halo games two days ago I lean to sprint say 50-65% of my future Halo games. I admit itching for classic CTF and bomb arena small style though. So good.gif

Edit: top of page fun. Frankie & co if you make classic 1 bomb and flag return in HX1 I'll fly to Seattle from Aus, visit, shake your hands and tribute video it too :) I'll also LAN stream on the midnight launch for Aus!

Omni

Who is Chettlar and why is he posting so much?

Indeed. I was thinking about that.

This post was brought to you by Chettlar's insane desire to get his post count up without having to venture into dangerous territory (namely gaming side).

Naw I'll post in gaming side not to long from now.

oh.

He does realise the he still has to wait three months to become a full member, right?

Akai__

Hey Frankie, If you would like to go ahead and send me the Halo 5 Forge Beta that would be great.

Dreams are free.

But it's already out, didn't you hear? It's called Project Spark.
lol

I'm not a Forge guy, but I hope, that you guys get an awesome tool, to create even more awesome, better looking and/or crazy maps.

I hope Invasion will have a huge comeback in Halo 5. For better balance it would be alright if its just Spartans vs Spartans, the gamemode itself was just amazing - even if you were only two players between a bunch of random guys, it felt like the win/lose can depend of you two.

I read about how great many of you guys in here think Invasion was, and during customs everybody gets excited when we play Invasion, but I just don't get it.

It's not very fun. I didn't have fun with it in Reach, I didn't have fun with it during customs in Halo 4, and I really have no desire for it to be brought back in the future. If it is, great - you all will have a lot of fun.

But I just do not see how Invasion is so good that so many people are clamoring for it to come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom