• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

Invasion in the Halo Reach beta was badass. Back when the Repeater was actually useful and Spartans just had the ARs in the first round.

Still fun to play though. There were a few custom maps that I've played that are amazing (One in particular took up most of Forge World. Damn that was awesome)

Invasion just had a big lack of maps. 2 maps and 1 dlc map were just way too few. I really loved playing Invasion on Breakpoint with some friends. The later added forge invasion maps were mostly horrible.

Also there should be a death-timer-zone around the spawnpoints of the attackers

Gui_PT

The SAW is completely fair, u just mad.

iV0a4qzFmxz7H.gif

SAW

Damage Boost

Jetpack

This is why I'm done with Halo 4

wwm0nkey

So I seem to have the game working now after just reinstalling. Guess GFWL was my problem.

Anyway, I tried what you said above... and this happened.

:(
Enable windowed mode in the game and don't enable it via dsfix. Also disable anti-ailsing in game.

(Don't force v sync either)

IHaveIce

Banned
It should be in the game "This weapon is OP". And it'd fit because they love to shove text on your face in this game.

Also IHaveIce, nothing against you but your face makes me want punch your teeth out.

<3 u
me looking super awkward doesn't help either I guess,I'm horrible at doing selfies.

But I'm always ready for a little dance, the last black eye just has gone away. <3

Anyone know where I can buy a 3 month for XBL and have the code emailed to me within the hour?
Amazon worked pretty well for me most of the time

so did the laws of physics really change while i was asleep because some guy cant be assed to listen to proof that shit is the way it is?

what the fuck?

well halo.

I dunno, damage boost is pretty cool imo. Always liked quad damage.

SAW ordnance on the other hand, terrible.

Agreed. Damage Boost is a Powerup which are designed to be broken; something you have to earn by fighting over.

Powerups for Halo 5:
  • OS
  • Camo
  • Damage Boost
  • Speed Boost
  • Promethean Vision
Plus any new ones. They should've kept adding on top of Powerups instead of making broken AA's to spawn with.

EDIT:
Promethean Vision should never be brought back under any circumstances.

As a Powerup that lasts for 15 secs and goes away if you die, just like the other ones. Maybe take the balance a step further and if you get shot while using it, it messes up your vision a little. The concept is fine, but its implementation was all wrong.

Don't close your mind to something because of how it was handled previously.

daedalius

Yeah not going to bitch too much about damage boost but I'd much rather have OS and camouflage on map then that.

Yea, I think Damage Boost would work a lot better if it was an on-map powerup, instead of being delivered the way it is currently. Same for OS and camo!

Nebula

Yea, I think Damage Boost would work a lot better if it was an on-map powerup, instead of being delivered the way it is currently. Same for OS and camo!

If only we had an example of this sort of system working well.

Also:

dSFNZtW.png

Shitty phone pic but I admire this guys dedication to spread his message.

Fuchsdh

Agreed. Damage Boost is a Powerup which are designed to be broken; something you have to earn by fighting over.

Powerups for Halo 5:
  • OS
  • Camo
  • Damage Boost
  • Speed Boost
  • Promethean Vision
Plus any new ones. They should've kept adding on top of Powerups instead of making broken AA's to spawn with.

EDIT:

As a Powerup that lasts for 15 secs and goes away if you die, just like the other ones. Maybe take the balance a step further and if you get shot while using it, it messes up your vision a little. The concept is fine, but its implementation was all wrong.

So your idea is PV would stay on the entire time, so you'd only be able to see in PV vision? Might be interesting as a powerup, although I think 15 seconds would be too short. That said my perception of powerup duration is really wonky—how long have OS/Camo lasted (presuming no damage taken, etc) in earlier games?

I think the better approach for AAs (yes, aside from those who want to scrap them entirely) is the Reach MLG approach/Throwdown usage where you get them for a single life/on-map pickups. They could be a complement to the powerups, as opposed to replacements. So you fight for the overshield, fight for the thruster packs, etc.

Being able to see through walls in a first person shooter is bullshit, no matter how you try and spin it. There is literally no downside to having and abusing the shit out of it; not even worthy of an update or improvement. Just trash it along with the other mistakes of Halo 4 and move on.

Booties

Banned
Being able to see through walls in a first person shooter is bullshit, no matter how you try and spin it. There is literally no downside to having and abusing the shit out of it; not even worthy of an update or improvement. Just trash it along with the other mistakes of Halo 4 and move on.

We already have a huge radar with elevation markets. Just learn the map and you shouldn't even need pro vision. It's so stupid and ruins judgement. It was worse though when the game was released and the bolt shot was an easier kill. Kids would just find you, charge you, and kill you with no risk.

That was a boring ass article. Good for him. Now stop talking in the passive tense every sentence please.

So your idea is PV would stay on the entire time, so you'd only be able to see in PV vision? Might be interesting as a powerup, although I think 15 seconds would be too short. That said my perception of powerup duration is really wonky&#8212;how long have OS/Camo lasted (presuming no damage taken, etc) in earlier games?

OS has been different between games, but for the most part it drains slowly and/or when you get hit. Camo has been 30 secs I believe. PV can be something between 15-30 secs that could either run out once you get shot or flicker your screen (possibly making it more of a team benefit to be cautious and call out positions). Also, it doesn't have to be as broken as PV off spawn was with that much detail..

They could even make it a Powerup that sends out waves of radar that display a player's outline on your HUD. Many ways to balance something like that as a Powerup over an AA that you spawn with.

I think the better approach for AAs (yes, aside from those who want to scrap them entirely) is the Reach MLG approach/Throwdown usage where you get them for a single life/on-map pickups. They could be a complement to the powerups, as opposed to replacements. So you fight for the overshield, fight for the thruster packs, etc.

This is what I was hoping for before Halo 4 came out and we knew AA's were still in the game. Reach MLG/Throwdown implemented them best because you had to fight over them and were more fun to use than equipment in Halo 3.

You're talking to the guy who experienced glasswall hacking ruining everything loved about CE on XBC.. There is no "spin" to this, it's just trying to balance something that is cool in design but just implemented poorly. There are several gametypes that use PV that are fun, like those Infection ones.

Imagine if Camo as a Powerup didn't exist until Reach and people would say what you're saying about PV; "Going invisible is BS and breaks one team's control of the map. It allows you to sneak towards other Powerups/power weapons to gain an advantage! Screw Camo!"

It's the same crap; Powerups are broken by design but the fact that you have to earn them makes it alright.

EDIT:
Guys why is Microsoft so bad when it comes to giving gamers the games they want.

Where's my Dance Central 4, Viva Pinata 3, Banjo-Threeie, Conker, Halo _:ODST, Halo Wars 2, Halo 2 Anniversary, etc.

Same can be said about Nintendo with games and features like online co-op, multiplayer, etc.

Guys why is Microsoft so bad when it comes to giving gamers the games they want.

Where's my Dance Central 4, Viva Pinata 3, Banjo-Threeie, Conker, Halo _:ODST, Halo Wars 2, Halo 2 Anniversary, etc.

Omni

I mean, in all fairness... 343i have been pretty damn busy. Where are they supposed to fit all those in? 2013 being the exception, Halo has been annual for a while now

CyReN

I seriously forgot about Promethean Vision, like it was rampant the first months of Halo 4 then just faded away. (I could be crazy, but saw a lot less)

I mean, in all fairness... 343i have been pretty damn busy. Where are they supposed to fit all those in? 2013 being the exception, Halo has been annual for a while now

Bungie didn't develop Halo Wars and Rare didn't develop Killer Instinct. It can be done by other studios as long as it's handled with care.

You folks criticize 343 for their decisions and now you make posts saying you want Promethean Vision in Halo 5?

Yikes

That's the funny thing about game design/balance and building upon past ideas, you don't have to remove something just because it was crap in the game before it. By that logic, the CE Needler, H2 Sword/BR, H3 Spartan Laser, etc. should have never returned. How about a Powerup that lets you go completely invisible and do whatever you want or one that gives you 3 secs of invincibility plus extra layers of shield..

Yikes.

Fuchsdh

I seriously forgot about Promethean Vision, like it was rampant the first months of Halo 4 then just faded away. (I could be crazy, but saw a lot less)

I was thinking about it the last time I was in matchmaking that boltshot usage dropped like a rock as well. On paper you wouldn't have thought the nerf would have resulted in that much real-world disuse, but maybe in combination with autos getting more powerful and the 4-shot BR it increased the risk side of the equation for missing a 1HK ambush.

I see holograms much more than I did in Reach.

Omni

Best part of Promethean Vision was using that one perk that allowed you to stay invisible and assassinate every fuck that used it

Madness

Best part of Promethean Vision was using that one perk that allowed you to stay invisible and assassinate every fuck that used it

But that's exactly the problem with the loadouts and the rock, paper, scissors design Frank even mentions jokingly.

They've added PV to see through walls, thereby breaking the game, but then they add Stealth that makes you really hard to see for PV users only etc. Just unnecessary layers of BS. Remove descoping and add flinch, but then add a perk that can remove flinch etc.

PV shouldn't ever return again, there's no need to incorporate everything into multiplayer. If they keep it, it should only be used for custom/certain playlists like a Predator/Aliens type playlist etc.

BigShow36

SAW

Damage Boost

Jetpack

This is why I'm done with Halo 4

Yeah, but look at how much skill was required to get those kills. Plus, I'm sure that player strategized, planned and fought over those power weapons and power ups.That's balance right there.

Gravity Gauntlets aside, I'd like more powerups in place of perks / AAs. Just make different powerup tiers with the S-tier powerups (camo / OS / damage boost / speed boost) lasting 30 seconds, and the other tiers lasting less. I mean hell, some of the short-duration AA effects like the Bubble Shield could just last 5 seconds.

I'd also be interested in the S-tier powerups getting an increased duration if you get kills with it active; 1 second for 1 kill, 2 for 2, etc. maxing out at 5 kills - meaning that a Killtacular (or a Killing Spree) would get you a good 45 seconds of juice.

Oh, and due to how different multiplayer's starting to get in games, I'd really love someone to introduce a three-way system instead of a binary one. Campaign, Multiplayer (large scale, coddlefield of war-esque, but fun) and Arena (competitive).

Gravity Gauntlets aside, I'd like more powerups in place of perks / AAs. Just make different powerup tiers with the S-tier powerups (camo / OS / damage boost / speed boost) lasting 30 seconds, and the other tiers lasting less. I mean hell, some of the short-duration AA effects like the Bubble Shield could just last 5 seconds.

I'd also be interested in the S-tier powerups getting an increased duration if you get kills with it active; 1 second for 1 kill, 2 for 2, etc. maxing out at 5 kills - meaning that a Killtacular (or a Killing Spree) would get you a good 45 seconds of juice.

Oh, and due to how different multiplayer's starting to get in games, I'd really love someone to introduce a three-way system instead of a binary one. Campaign, Multiplayer (large scale, coddlefield of war-esque, but fun) and Arena (competitive).

I'll soon be making your pockets hot wahrer.

only wahrer will get this reference

Edit. someone got a spare majestic pack code?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Its easy to dismiss your ideas sometimes, but I think you've got a pretty solid one with this.

+1

I still see it quite often. But that may be because I only play BTB and end up with random 12 year olds who think seeing through walls is the coolest thing ever.

On an unrelated note, I just published a first draft of my personal music portfolio website. It's missing some graphics so it's kinda plain right now, but I my photographer girlfriend is gonna hook me up with some professional photos to spice it up. Hoping this plus me sending out resumes eventually will land me some jobs once I graduate.

http://www.stevenmcdonaldmusic.com/

What do y'all think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom