• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chettlar

Banned
Incoming megaquote...

Could have fooled me...

Could have fooled me...

Could have fooled me...

Could have fooled me...
"slowing down" and speed != acceleration. You stopping dead is because you were accelerated.

Could have fooled me...

2aed7dS.gif

Yes

Many fucking times. Many different guns. Many millions of rounds. Really.

Could have fooled me...

Could have fooled me...

Could have fooled me...

Could have fooled me...
Demonstration of knowledge and understanding is better than rote memorization, but providing awareness of available knowledge is an important part of teaching

Could have fooled me...

too much irony for a coherent reply to this one, sorry.

Could have fooled me...

Could have fooled me...
Probably the first time I've agreed with much of anything Ozzy has said. What have you done?

Agree to disagree, mate!

Could have fooled me...

Could have fooled me...

This is mostly just since I left and came back from dinner...and you wonder if there's anything wrong with it...My ignore list has officially doubled. Congrats.

Shoutouts to Zoso <3

Mocking doesn't make you a better person. You didn't argue a single thing I made. Why did you go to the trouble when you could have just said "I disagree and think you're dumb"

Because really, that's exactly what you did.

But of course I'm on your ignore list. Congratulations, your the first person in the world to ever ignore me on any forum ever. Wonderful.

Do people really lurk this thread anymore?

Um...I did......for a very long time.

It was the article released along with the Sparth concept art

I might set up a Skype call before so we can dick around or whatever while we wait. Wahrer, what's your Skype?

I'm going to be doing it from my phone so I can probably only pre-dick for a good 5 or 10 minutes. When will you be ready, toshi?

But of course I'm on your ignore list. Congratulations, your the first person in the world to ever ignore me on any forum ever. Wonderful.

If that's a consistent problem for you, maybe you should consider changing your posting style. People will engage you better if you don't annoy the shit out of them first (like posting a million times a day when there's still three months of mandatory Juniorhood regardless).

Chettlar

Banned
It's sad how mythical science seems to people. Not a dig on you personally or anything, just the tendency for people to get defensive and mistrust that which they don't understand. Reminds me of the lunatics on Fox News acting like global warming is some conspiracy by the scientific community.

Anyways, you put mechanics into a video game for balance, not realism. Halo happens to have the benefit of being a sci-fi game where explanations can be fabricated and still kind of make sense, if people so desire. But still, balance comes first.

My point in that post was that this "Oh it's so mythical! Zoso used numbers so Chettlar must be wrong hur dur" shit is stupid.

I don't know where you got your numbers, but I don't doubt them. I understand what you are saying. I don't need to have a major in physics to follow what you say. Your post made perfect sense to me.

I also understood that your post only applied to hitting a person head on. It didn't explain why hitting someone from the back (or side, I guess) would directly slow them down (and even then only when they are sprinting...Shouldn't it work when they are also just running normally?).

And then Nebulas says that your post did apply to that, when it clearly did not.

I know some basic kinetics and things. Even if I didn't, I would know what you meant. I should think anybody who knows English would as well.

---

And I'll just say this right now. You guys are all really fucking depressing. You often talk about how boring it is on this thread with nothing to talk about and then boom somebody comes in who may or may not agree with you and you (or most of you), because you want to feel smart or some reason I don't know, try to put me down instead of, ya know, debating civilly.

You've not all been like this, but why did it take so fucking long to get people to finally say "Yes, slowing a person down by shooting him from behind is not realistic"?

I would love to actually, ya know, talk about some game design. It's like people want to be board instead of getting into a discussion that rustles feathers too much. I am perfectly willing to explain why I think it's bad game design. Tashi here even agreed with me (I think; can't tell whose trolling/being sarcastic). I would like to explain why, but everybody (Nebula especially) gets caught up in actually arguing something (when we all know and eventually conclude it is indeed unrealistic) instead of, ya know, actually listening to the actual point of what I'm saying?

And no, through all the sarcasm and things I have no idea, beyond Tashi, who actually agrees with me.

YourExWife is being unprofessional and I don't appreciate it. Oh my goodness, you guys! I disagree with him! I'm so terrible! Watch him dissect a post of mine in such a way to make me look stupid! Instead of hearing me out, he blocks me. Very mature.

m23

When will the podcast be up? I think it's about time I start listening to them.

Also, OT as hell but holy shit at Outkast reunion tour.

Chettlar

Banned
If that's a consistent problem for you, maybe you should consider changing your posting style. People will engage you better if you don't annoy the shit out of them first (like posting a million times a day when there's still three months of mandatory Juniorhood regardless).

I apologize, but it's difficult when multiple people are arguing with you at the same time. It's rather overwhelming and hard to know how to handle.

NeoGAF, even on slower threads like this, goes faster than I'm used to in other forums. I'm trying to work out how to adjust my posting style. You didn't really need to say that.

I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be annoying. I'm actually trying not to.

It's also dependent on you guys though. I had a ton of people responding to me at one time. If people had taken a certain person's advice a while ago, I wouldn't have posted near so much.

So don't everybody jump on me next time? And if they do, don't put all the blame on me maybe? I'm trying to be reasonable here.

EDIT: um also. My post said it was the first time. IOW, it's NOT a consistent problem....did you just misread the comment?

Why are you so upset someone's being unprofessional on the world's premier video game forum, NeoGAF.com? It's the internet, dude. And not the good kind.

Btw, Tashi, do you want some music for the intro since the Unholy Triumshitvirate will be on tonight? Not one of my specific jingles for HGR, I can just rip a good 15-30 seconds out of one of my Trinity tracks. I have a pretty neat, Blade Runner-y one that would work well for a podcast format.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
When will the podcast be up? I think it's about time I start listening to them.

We're going to record shortly. Shooting for less than an hour. Shouldn't take me more than 40 minutes to edit it all up and then post it. Check back in about 2 hours just to be on the safe side.

Chettlar

Banned
Why are you so upset someone's being unprofessional on the world's premier video game forum, NeoGAF.com? It's the internet, dude. And not the good kind.

Because I'm the one on the receiving end of being ignored as well as being saddled with the entire blame for participating in a long argument.

...as if long arguments are bad.

And the internet is no reason to act unprofessionally. It doesn't need to be shit.

Booties

Banned
My point in that post was that this "Oh it's so mythical! Zoso used numbers so Chettlar must be wrong hur dur" shit is stupid.

I don't know where your numbers, but I don't doubt them. I understand what you are saying. I don't need to have a major in physics to follow what you say. Your post made perfect sense to me.

I also understood that your post only applied to hitting a person head on. It didn't explain why hitting someone from the back (or side, I guess) would directly slow them down (and even then only when they are sprinting...Shouldn't it work when they are also just running normally?).

And then Nebulas says that your post did apply to that, when it clearly did not.

I know some basic kinetics and things. Even if I didn't, I would know what you meant. I should think anybody who knows English would as well.

---

And I'll just say this right now. You guys are all really fucking depressing. You often talk about how boring it is on this thread with nothing to talk about and then boom somebody comes in who may or may not agree with you and you (or most of you), because you want to feel smart or some reason I don't know, try to put me down instead of, ya know, debating civilly.

You've not all been like this, but why did it take so fucking long to get people to finally say "Yes, slowing a person down by shooting him from behind is realistic"?

I would love to actually, ya know, talk about some game design. It's like people want to be board instead of getting into a discussion that rustles feathers too much. I am perfectly willing to explain why I think it's bad game design. Tashi here even agreed with me (I think; can't tell whose trolling/being sarcastic). I would like to explain why, but everybody (Nebula especially) gets caught up in actually arguing something (when we all know and eventually conclude it is indeed unrealistic) instead of, ya know, actually listening to the actual point of what I'm saying?

And no, through all the sarcasm and things I have no idea, beyond Tashi, who actually agrees with me.

YourExWife is being unprofessional and I don't appreciate it. Oh my goodness, you guys! I disagree with him! I'm so terrible! Watch him dissect a post of mine in such a way to make me look stupid! Instead of hearing me out, he blocks me. Very mature.

WLt1uFy.jpg

Nebula

Your argument made no sense. You went from "being slowed down by being shot is a bad mechanic and isn't realistic" to "give me evidence of this occurring in real life" to "Hamburger guns" to "being shot in the back slowing you down is a bad mechanic."

It's a band aid for sprint. Sprint is a bad mechanic and anything trying to alter it is also going bad because it's going to be a band aid for a problem and nothing more. You're going back to a dead argument for no reason. Save yourself the trouble and leave it alone.

I apologize, but it's difficult when multiple people are arguing with you at the same time. It's rather overwhelming and hard to know how to handle.

NeoGAF, even on slower threads like this, goes faster than I'm used to in other forums. I'm trying to work out how to adjust my posting style. You didn't really need to say that.

I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be annoying. I'm actually trying not to.

It's also dependent on you guys though. I had a ton of people responding to me at one time. If people had taken a certain person's advice a while ago, I wouldn't have posted near so much.

So don't everybody jump on me next time? And if they do, don't put all the blame on me maybe?

I don't care if you're trying or not to be annoying, you are annoying. That's why people are not responding to you in the way you want.

It's called don't respond to everything, i.e. a modicum of self-control. Post less, spend more time on each post, and remember brevity is your friend. Quality over quantity. So far your posts are rambling and not really well thought out, and there are too many to reasonably look back through to see what you were originally talking about.

Chettlar

Banned
Your argument made no sense. You went from "being slowed down by being shot is a bad mechanic and isn't realistic" to "give me evidence of this occurring in real life" to "Hamburger guns" to "being shot in the back slowing you down is a bad mechanic."

It's a band aid for sprint. Sprint is a bad mechanic and anything trying to alter it is also going bad because it's going to be a band aid for a problem and nothing more. You're going back to a dead argument for no reason. Save yourself the trouble and leave it alone.

...What?

My Argument as consistently been this:

1. Bullets slowing you down, regardless of where they hit you from -- only when you are sprinting (as if sprinting modifies the laws of physics) -- is unrealistic. (It took waay to long for people to finally say, yes, it is.)

2. Because it is unrealistic, it is bad game design. (people disagreed without trying to figure out why).

3. My hamburger gun was trying to illustrate why certain things being unrealistic is bad game design and certain other things being unrealistic is just fine, but you completely ignored the post and instead focused on the thing (hamburger gun) instead of the concept behind it. It's an example for fucks sake.

EDIT: How is this for brevity/not rambling? It can't take you but 30 seconds to read.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Also, OT as hell but holy shit at Outkast reunion tour.
SO STOKED.

Why can't we have a civil discussion? I thought that was one of the great things about GAF...
1. You post too much and you repeat yourself a lot.
2. You respond in strange and annoying ways when people refute you. Missing points, moving goal posts in your arguments, etc.
3. You don't listen when people tell you that you're bothering them.

Chettlar

Banned
Son, your desire for a well-thought, civil discussion went by the wayside when you mentioned exploding hamburgers.

...Why? It's called I'm trying to come up with something ridiculous for the sake of the argument to make it simpler. Lot's of people do this. Books do this. Professional speech writers do this. It's called an example to get an abstract point across.

If I did it badly, sure, I'm sorry. Explain how. Criticizing the dumb example I used doesn't get us anywhere because there's nothing wrong with it, as I already explained.

I'm done.

This is what I'm talking about. Instead of being curious as to why I would say something soooo crazy, you ignore it. Why? Maybe if you could be open minded for a second and actually give me the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not mentally ill. I have reasons for what I say. I'll gladly explain them if you'll take the time to listen.

"Hard sci-fi isn't enjoyable because we can't really comprehend that far ahead. I mean, why guess when we'll figure out space travel in a few hundred years anyway?"

...Why are you putting words in my mouth?

Madness

Dude, would you rather Spartans trip up and fall and curl up into a fetal position when shot with 40 rounds of assault rifle ammo into the back? Of course it's unrealistic.

There are many unrealistic things in Halo. They introduced stopping power as a way to negate sprint. That's it.

1. Bullets slowing you down, regardless of where they hit you from -- only when you are sprinting (as if sprinting modifies the laws of physics) -- is unrealistic.

2. Because it is unrealistic, it is bad game design.

3. My hamburger gun was trying to illustrate why certain things being unrealistic is bad game design and certain other things being unrealistic is just fine, but you completely ignored the post and instead focused on the thing (hamburger gun) instead of the concept behind it. It's an example for fucks sake.

EDIT: How is this for brevity? It can't take you but 30 seconds to read.

You admit in statement 3 that statement 2 has an enormous caveat that statement 2 itself completely ignores (nonrealistic physics is at least acceptable in games). This does not strike me as remotely well-thought out. Hamburger gun post was so rambling that I can't blame anyone for not reading it, much less taking the time to decipher what your actual point was.

Booties

Banned
No one

to read posts

that are so poorly thought

out and formatted

in bizar

ways,

like all of your posts are. Go away for a week or so so we forget about it

and then try again and be more

chill

Ramirez

EDIT: I'm curious to see which OG Halogaffers are still around besides Tashi, and to see which people still post, according to the Bungie thing, Newbies, Middle Skool, Old Skool, Grizzled Ancients...

The only people who were here from the Halo 2 days that are even semi active are Me, Ghaleon, and Op_Ivy. A lot of those people are still on GAF, but Reach started the exodus and Halo 4 finished it.

To be honest though, the Halo 2 group wasn't a tight knit family like the Halo 3 era was.

Chettlar

Banned
Dude, would you rather Spartans trip up and fall and curl up into a fetal position when shot with 40 rounds of assault rifle ammo into the back? Of course it's unrealistic.

There are many unrealistic things in Halo. They introduced stopping power as a way to negate sprint. That's it.

I would love to explain why I dislike this. Why it's bad. For somebody who likes sprint, I'm trying to explain why that too is a bad mechanic in Halo.

They're both bad. They're unrealistic.

Why then would I say that when Halo itself is realistic? Why doesn't anybody legitimately ask that question? I would like to answer it, if I may. I'll spend some considerable time refining it. I really will. I care about my posting. I just have to know somebody will actually read it, if only out of curiosity.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling that people will just jump on little sections of my argument instead of looking at my point. Ala hamburger guns.

Karl2177

...Why? It's called I'm trying to come up with something ridiculous for the sake of the argument to make it simpler. Lot's of people do this. Books do this. Professional speech writers do this. It's called an example to get an abstract point across.

If I did it badly, sure, I'm sorry. Explain how. Criticizing the dumb example I used doesn't get us anywhere because there's nothing wrong with it, as I already explained.

This is what I'm talking about. Instead of being curious as to why I would say something soooo crazy, you ignore it. Why? Maybe if you could be open minded for a second and actually give me the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not mentally ill. I have reasons for what I say. I'll gladly explain them if you'll take the time to listen.

Well for starters, you are neither an author nor a professional speech writer. If you are trying to get your point across, the smartest thing to do is to put it in the simplest terms instead of convoluted hamburger guns. Also, considering the fact that your argument was debunked multiple times, but you changed the goal posts depending on who you were talking to didn't help your case either.

m23

We're going to record shortly. Shooting for less than an hour. Shouldn't take me more than 40 minutes to edit it all up and then post it. Check back in about 2 hours just to be on the safe side.

Cool, thanks.

I was bored browsing youtube and I came upon the most hype inducing trailers I saw when I was younger. Brings back memories of waiting for Halo 2 to release. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz6FNKawJBc

343, make the reveal trailer something like this for Halo 5.

Nebula

.This is what I'm talking about. Instead of being curious as to why I would say something soooo crazy, you ignore it. Why? Maybe if you could be open minded for a second and actually give me the benefit of the doubt,

You're trying to argue that something being unrealistic in a game set in the future with multiple alien races. I'm not curious as to why you think this because It sounds completely silly to me. It has nothing to do with being 'open minded.'

You're arguing realism in a Video Game not tailored towards being realistic.

Chettlar

Banned
You admit in statement 3 that statement 2 has an enormous caveat that statement 2 itself completely ignores (nonrealistic physics is at least acceptable in games). This does not strike me as remotely well-thought out. Hamburger gun post was so rambling that I can't blame anyone for not reading it, much less taking the time to decipher what your actual point was.

...What?

In 2 I said "It's bad because it's unrealistic.

In 3 I said "However, somethings are ok when they are unrealistic. Not all things are the same."

I'm not just arbitrarily deciding what things I think are fine and what are not. I have reasons, but I don't know if it's worth trying to say.

I would love to, but, providing I spend time on it, would anybody be at least curious as to why I say this? ("Some things being unrealistic is ok and some other things being unrealistic is not.")

No one

to read posts

that are so poorly thought

out and formatted

in bizar

ways,

like all of your posts are. Go away for a week or so so we forget about it

and then try again and be more

chill

You're point would come across better if it were accurate. I do not split sentences like that. I have never had anybody complain my posts are hard to read. I started doing that because everybody complained when I put it in one single paragraph.

And honestly, I have no problem with coming back in a few days. If I could, I'd make a dedicated thread about it.

Again, I just need to know people would actually read it instead of just saying blowing me off. Otherwise, why put work into it?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The only people who were here from the Halo 2 days that are even semi active are Me, Ghaleon, and Op_Ivy. A lot of those people are still on GAF, but Reach started the exodus and Halo 4 finished it.

To be honest though, the Halo 2 group wasn't a tight knit family like the Halo 3 era was.

That's not my quote.

Mistel

Banned
2. Because it is unrealistic, it is bad game design. (people disagreed without trying to figure out why).
Oh dear.
tumblr_mz1mlbaNDw1qcm0m3o1_500.gif

If realism is one of your defining feature in a FPS why play halo? A game set in a fictional universe that is not real.
343, make the reveal trailer something like this for Halo 5.
That would be cool, did halo 4 have any trailer's other than the knight one?

Chettlar

Banned
You're trying to argue that something being unrealistic in a game set in the future with multiple alien races. I'm not curious as to why you think this because It sounds completely silly to me. It has nothing to do with being 'open minded.'

You're arguing realism in a Video Game not tailored towards being realistic.

Exactly. Do you not see what you are doing? You're saying "This is the way things are. Chettlar says it isn't, so his argument must be silly. I can't imagine how anybody would say something so preposterous."

I would love to explain to you why it isn't preposterous. You know, as for me, if somebody said something I think is completely beyond reason, you know what I'd do? I'd be curious, since normal people don't say things so silly.

And you know what? Sure, some of them are just stupid, but a lot of the time, the person has a point. I've learned a lot that way. I swear my post isn't as ridiculous as you might think.

Well for starters, you are neither an author nor a professional speech writer. If you are trying to get your point across, the smartest thing to do is to put it in the simplest terms instead of convoluted hamburger guns. Also, considering the fact that your argument was debunked multiple times, but you changed the goal posts depending on who you were talking to didn't help your case either.

What was debunked?

Oh dear.
If realism is one of your defining feature in a FPS why play halo? A game set in a fictional universe that is not real.

Catch up. Neb already said that. Try reading the conversation up to it's current form before responding to something that happened so long ago. It looks silly.

Also, ironic you forgot the part where I said:

Because that's exactly what you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom