• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chettlar

Banned
q5F2Rk6.gif

The first guy is what I'm trying to do. YourExWife did the second guy marvelously.

I'm not really doing it well. Sorry, I'm being sort of reactionary. :/

All I want to know is, if I actually do do what you guys asking (make a well thought out post), are you actually going to not be hypocrites and actually respond well thought out posts as well?

Many of you are taking just as long and making just as reactionary, rambling posts as I am. They're just shorter (well, some of them).

what is going on in this thread lol

Just wait for somebody to post some super witty post in response to this about how dumb I am.

Nebula

Your argument is this, from what I can decipher in your previous posts.

"Sprint and Stopping Power are bad because they are unrealistic."

You attempted to argue the science behind it and got shut down yet you're still arguing those points. It's a terrible point anyway because you're trying to use realism to explain why a mechanic in a GAME is bad. I'm not responding to you anymore. It's done. Finished.

Chettlar, I think you need to grow some thicker skin if you want to post on HaloGAF. Instead of repeatedly saying "I'd love to explain" how about you just do it? Because this:
2. Because it is unrealistic, it is bad game design. (people disagreed without trying to figure out why).
sounds completely ridiculous. There are any number of reasons why one could argue that Stopping Power is "bad" game design, and debating its realism should probably be on the bottom of that list.

Chettlar

Banned
Your argument is this, from what I can decipher in your previous posts.

"Sprint and Stopping Power are bad because they are unrealistic."

You attempted to argue the science behind it and got shut down yet you're still arguing those points. I'm not responding to you anymore. It's done. Finished.

: |

Um...numerous people have said that I am right in saying it's unrealistic.

Including a certain person you agreed with. They guy who used all the numbers. What he said still didn't prove me wrong. It actually rather proved me right.

You're one of the only people who isn't.

Chettlar, I think you need to grow some thicker skin if you want to post on HaloGAF. Instead of repeatedly saying "I'd love to explain" how about you just do it? Because this:

sounds completely ridiculous. There are any number of reasons why one could argue that Stopping Power is "bad" game design, and debating its realism should probably be on the bottom of that list.

Are people going to actually read it or just try to sound smart. Because I'd rather not spend a long time trying to make the perfect post if everybody's just going to ignore the whole point of it.

Nebula

: |

Um...numerous people have said that I am right in saying it's unrealistic.

Including a certain person you agreed with. They guy who used all the numbers. What he said still didn't prove me wrong. It actually rather proved me right.

You're one of the only people who isn't.

I agree that it's a bad mechanic. I definitely don't agree with your reasoning as to why it's a bad mechanic.

belushy

Banned
Enable windowed mode in the game and don't enable it via dsfix. Also disable anti-ailsing in game.

(Don't force v sync either)

Cool thank you! That got it working. Cool, I might be able to start playing then. I'll probably just embarrass myself though. Just trying to relearn how to double shot and BXR with the keyboard lol

TheOddOne

I'm not really doing it well. Sorry, I'm being sort of reactionary. :/
You have a lot of big statements without much to back it up or even well thought out arguments. Even in terms of abstractness, there is not enough to even properly philosophy about.

I get the impression that people want to converse with you, but you’re actively trying hinder the conversation by being overly defensive and forgetting to clarify your arguments. That is why it feels like HaloGAF might be piling up on you. No opinion is wrong, but remember that some people will disagree–how you handle that criticism is key to how serious people will take you.

Chettlar

Banned
I agree that it's a bad mechanic. I definitely don't agree with your reasoning as to why it's a bad mechanic.

Because you don't know what my reasoning is because before I have the chance to, you already pass judgement on it.

This is why I haven't actually tried to articulate what it was, because I would like to get past this shit first.

Maybe i'm being way to sensitive. But anybody knows it's frustrating to make a well thought out post and have people ignore the whole thing.

Has nobody here made an OP they spent time on that everybody obviously did not read?

You have a lot of big statements without much to back it up or even well thought out arguments. Even in terms of abstractness, there is not enough to even properly philosophy about.

I get the impression that people want to converse with you, but you’re actively trying hinder the conversation by being overly defensive and forgetting to clarify your arguments. That is why it feels like HaloGAF might be piling up on you. No opinion is wrong, but remember that some people will disagree–how you handle that criticism is key to how serious people will take you.

Alright then, let me ask you. You seem to be a pretty reasonable poster. Would you like me to spend some time on a post and make it well thought out to explain why I think the way I do?

I'm just tired of snarky responses. Will anybody actually read it if I do post it?

Karl2177

There are dozens of posts coming from such educated members like Stormtrooper, Wahrer, and ZooJoo, but I'm too lazy to actually quote them. Here's the simple reason why it is the way it is. The game isn't meant to be a simulation of real life. The game is meant to be a series of inputs that lead to an output(most commonly fun). You shoot Player A, this is an input. If you had to worry about the angle at which you're shooting Player A or the velocity of Player A, it wouldn't be very fun, which isn't the desired output. If you shoot Player A and it does the same thing every time, it means it's consistent. And consistency in a game, usually equates to more fun. See: CE or Halo 2, where the only variables are weapons/grenades/melee.

Chettlar

Banned
There are dozens of posts coming from such educated members like Stormtrooper, Wahrer, and ZooJoo, but I'm too lazy to actually quote them. Here's the simple reason why it is the way it is. The game isn't meant to be a simulation of real life. The game is meant to be a series of inputs that lead to an output(most commonly fun). You shoot Player A, this is an input. If you had to worry about the angle at which you're shooting Player A or the velocity of Player A, it wouldn't be very fun, which isn't the desired output. If you shoot Player A and it does the same thing every time, it means it's consistent. And consistency in a game, usually equates to more fun. See: CE or Halo 2, where the only variables are weapons/grenades/melee.

There's nothing inheritance wrong with somethings being unrealistic. Somethings being unrealistic can harm the experience in my opinion.

People are telling me to stop posting so much, so I'm going to slow down and not respond to everybody, since that's the only way. So don't anybody think I'm just ignoring them because I'm a sucky junior.

wwm0nkey

Cool thank you! That got it working. Cool, I might be able to start playing then. I'll probably just embarrass myself though. Just trying to relearn how to double shot and BXR with the keyboard lol
Well aiming should be light years better now with borderless windowed mode and a locked 60fps going on :)

Its weird you got that screen issue though as I thought that only effected Dark Souls....

Hmmm you should set your rendering resolution 2x higher and keep your default resolution the same via the dsfix.ini and see if you can downsample. (You should see a nice visual bump if it worked)

Madness

There's nothing inheritance wrong with somethings being unrealistic. Somethings being unrealistic can harm the experience in my opinion.

Chettlar, as someone who also suffers from tl;dr posts at times, what exactly is your argument here? What are you trying to convey that the rest of us don't get, and what is exactly the remedy for it?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Remember last year when we had page after page of people refuting Ozzy's points, only for him to persist? Getting flashbacks right now.

Chettlar please, stop letting words over the internet bother you. The semantics you're arguing is a pointless discussion anyway.

Just agree that CE is the best and that the Pistol should return to its former glory, then all shall be right in your world.

The only people who were here from the Halo 2 days that are even semi active are Me, Ghaleon, and Op_Ivy. A lot of those people are still on GAF, but Reach started the exodus and Halo 4 finished it.

To be honest though, the Halo 2 group wasn't a tight knit family like the Halo 3 era was.

That Halo 2 thread was unexpectedly short and had little to do with multiplayer. Some pretty interesting discussions regarding the campaign though.

So pretty much, HaloGAF started with the worst Halo game in the original trilogy. OG HaloGAF REPRESENT!

Your usage of fun is extremely childish and you should feel sorry for yourself.

No heckfu, I'm still not angry ;]
-insert lol here-

PS - Chettlar, next time you speak to my ExWife like that, we're gonna have problems. I like ya, ya sweet lil hamburglar you, but some lines must not be crossed.

Ora

Banned
You can see if people are quoting you and for how long? Wut

He quoted my post before I could edit. He left that quote up with the code visible for at least 10 minutes because I kept checking back to see if he would edit. Get it?

It was my fault for messing that up in the first place, but nowise didn't help the cause.

Chettlar

Banned
Chettlar please, stop letting words over the internet bother you. The semantics you're arguing is a pointless discussion anyway.

Just agree that CE is the best and that the Pistol should return to its former glory, then all shall be right in your world.

I actually do agree with that. World isn't getting any better.

And no it isn't pointless.

PS - Chettlar, next time you speak to my ExWife like that, we're gonna have problems. I like ya, ya sweet lil hamburglar you, but some lines must not be crossed.

I'd love to apologize, since I was upset at him when I wrote that....except, he can't see it if I do.

Chettlar, as someone who also suffers from tl;dr posts at times, what exactly is your argument here? What are you trying to convey that the rest of us don't get, and what is exactly the remedy for it?

If you would like to know, I'll try to explain. I may not even be able to do it today (not because it would take that long to write it. Just because I have other things I need to do).

edit nvm, I'm not going there.

Tawpgun

And I'll just say this right now. You guys are all really fucking depressing. You often talk about how boring it is on this thread with nothing to talk about and then boom somebody comes in who may or may not agree with you and you (or most of you), because you want to feel smart or some reason I don't know, try to put me down instead of, ya know, debating civilly.
8EAZjph.gif

Why can't we have a civil discussion? I thought that was one of the great things about GAF...
2516508-5567548374-Fh3ro.gif

Can you summarize your main points in under, lets say 10 sentences. SUMMARIZE them. Because I have no idea what you're on about and you completley lost me.

Ramirez

Remember last year when we had page after page of people refuting Ozzy's points, only for him to persist? Getting flashbacks right now.

It's their own fault really. Why anyone would argue with Halo apologists at this point in the franchises life is beyond me.

If they're completely OK with how the franchise is at this point, there is no talking sense into them, just falling on deaf ears. Stahp

TheOddOne

Alright then, let me ask you. You seem to be a pretty reasonable poster. Would you like me to spend some time on a post and make it well thought out to explain why I think the way I do?

I'm just tired of snarky responses. Will anybody actually read it if I do post it?
You have to roll the dice, either people dismiss it or it becomes a much discussed post. At least you put some effort into your viewpoint on the matter.

So why did i get a shout out in Ghost's QA thing? we never saw eye to eye. what is happening in the world...

EDIT: it could have been the ThrowDown threads on THC where i didnt act like a complete ass.

Mistel

Banned
There wasn't really any trailer for halo 4 that came even close to that halo 2 trailer. Although I will say the prologue for Halo 4 gave me major goosebumps.
I did enjoy the prologue for halo 4, Greg Bear's prolouge thing is also great, as well it did give me something to get excited about. One thing that bugged me with the scanned tralier is that the ONI guy's have ONI badges it's not very stealthy.
scanned trailer

Heckfu do those hamburger's explode into ordinance? :p

Chettlar

Banned
Can you summarize your main points in under, lets say 10 sentences. SUMMARIZE them. Because I have no idea what you're on about and you completley lost me.

I did.

Ahem, for your convenience:

My Argument as consistently been this:

1. Bullets slowing you down, regardless of where they hit you from -- only when you are sprinting (as if sprinting modifies the laws of physics) -- is unrealistic. (It took waay to long for people to finally say, yes, it is.)

2. Because it is unrealistic, it is bad game design. (people disagreed without trying to figure out why).

3. My hamburger gun was trying to illustrate why certain things being unrealistic is bad game design and certain other things being unrealistic is just fine, but you completely ignored the post and instead focused on the thing (hamburger gun) instead of the concept behind it. It's an example for fucks sake.

EDIT: How is this for brevity/not rambling? It can't take you but 30 seconds to read.

That's about 8 or 9 sentences.

And please don't repeat what Nebula keeps saying about "Well, Halo is unrealistic, so your argument is bad."

I am fully aware that Halo is unrealistic. I'm not daft. I'm not being arbitrary with what I say is fine being unrealistic and what is not. I have reasons. I will be making a post as to what those reasons are if you'll bear with me.

You have to roll the dice, either people dismiss it or it becomes a much discussed post. At least you put some effort into your viewpoint on the matter.

I'm on it.

Sort of. It shall be done when I get the chance..

daedalius

Hey guys, are giant mecha wings and cloaks on power armored characters unrealistic? I'd better be careful with my own personal stuff.

Bah new page!

...What?

My Argument as consistently been this:

1. Bullets slowing you down, regardless of where they hit you from -- only when you are sprinting (as if sprinting modifies the laws of physics) -- is unrealistic. (It took waay to long for people to finally say, yes, it is.)

3. My hamburger gun was trying to illustrate why certain things being unrealistic is bad game design and certain other things being unrealistic is just fine, but you completely ignored the post and instead focused on the thing (hamburger gun) instead of the concept behind it. It's an example for fucks sake.

EDIT: How is this for brevity/not rambling? It can't take you but 30 seconds to read.

You edited your post to change statement 2 to be less moronic, nice backtrack. EDIT: The point still stands that your assertion in statement 2 directly contradicts what your are trying to say later, and you probably shouldn't have written it like it was a gospel truth.

Chettlar

Banned
The truth is hard to argue against, I know.

Wow. Just wow. Your opinion is the truth because you can't see how it could be any other way.

I'm sorry, but that is utterly and completely ridiculous closed-minded thinking. Why am I arguing with you?

Why are you arguing with me, if you aren't going to listen to what I have to say? An debate is for learning the other person's view points. You can't do that if you don't give me a chance. Try being crazy and forgetting everything you know for the sake of the argument some time. You might learn something.

Wonder if it's the lurker that sent me a friend request yesterday. I should have added them to see if they're playing some DLC.

Funny, had a similar thing when playing in a BTB party recently...KSI clan invites and FRs for 10 minutes to all in our party. Just because we beat then at BTb CTF twice in a row. Excuse me but fuck I hate KSI from Halo 2 cheating days. The whole clan can suck it.

I was about to post a reply to Chettlar saying I went through the same post adjustment...I don't think I've adjusted all that well to HaloGAF ;)

@Chet

You don't need to reply to everything or so often, relaxedGAF is bestGAF. Yes there is a salty majority here, get used to it, quickly. I'm apparently a slurper but in reality I have my gripes too.

blob.jpg

It's their own fault really. Why anyone would argue with Halo apologists at this point in the franchises life is beyond me.

If they're completely OK with how the franchise is at this point, there is no talking sense into them, just falling on deaf ears. Stahp

Example here Chettlar, Ram and I don't really see eye to eye on much. We don't often reply to each other rather than ignore. It's fine, opinions and all.

Nebula

Wow. Just wow. Your opinion is the truth because you can't see how it could be any other way.

I'm sorry, but that is utterly and completely ridiculous closed-minded thinking. Why am I arguing with you?

Why are you arguing with me, if you aren't going to listen to what I have to say? An debate is for learning the other person's view points. You can't do that if you don't give me a chance. Try being crazy and forgetting everything you know for the sake of the argument some time. You might learn something.

My opinion isn't truth. Halo being an unrealistic game is the truth. No opinion about it. All fact.

What the hell is the bolded about?

belushy

Banned
Well aiming should be light years better now with borderless windowed mode and a locked 60fps going on :)

Its weird you got that screen issue though as I thought that only effected Dark Souls....

Hmmm you should set your rendering resolution 2x higher and keep your default resolution the same via the dsfix.ini and see if you can downsample. (You should see a nice visual bump if it worked)

Yeah I didn't realize, even though it is written right in that dsfix file, that I had to put the game in borderless from in-game. Not sure how I got that screen issue either.

I'll try to mess around with the resolution stuff a bit later.

By the way, I'll probably play through the Halo 2 campaign, and then I'll be ready to play MP in a few days. Hopefully a few other people want to join in. :p

He quoted my post before I could edit. He left that quote up with the code visible for at least 10 minutes because I kept checking back to see if he would edit. Get it?

It was my fault for messing that up in the first place, but nowise didn't help the cause.

Ah alright. From you wording I thought you meant that there is some feature on GAF I didn't know about where I could see if people were quoting me or something.

I actually do agree with that. World isn't getting any better.
This is true actually.. It only makes my world more depressing.
I'd love to apologize, since I was upset at him when I wrote that....except, he can't see it if I do.
Here ya go.
I'm not sure what to think of Fracas and Heckfu. Stormtrooper can't even be bothered to read the thread, so i don't really have anything to say to her.
Fracas and heckfu don't mind. They rarely post anything of significance that leads to discussion. And don't be deceived by TheOddOne; he'll try cutting you the moment he gets a chance and he still hasn't responded to my Pistol posts that he begged for.

I love this place. So many lovely personalities in one tight little package :]

Madness

If you would like to know, I'll try to explain. I may not even be able to do it today (not because it would take that long to write it. Just because I have other things I need to do).

edit nvm, I'm not going there.

See, like what am I supposed to take away from this? Just summarize concisely what it is you were trying to say, and what we aren't getting and what can be done?

Homeboyd

Chet, dude, you have to stop posting so much. I'm not even trying to be a dick about it. I've never ignored anyone on this site but dammit... You need to find a halo chat room or something.

Chettlar

Banned
That makes sense, and is Chettle or w/e still beating his horse?

Chettle.

I just.....Chettle.

CHETTLE.

The heck.

Wait... You've been discussion this for hours and you haven't even bothered explaining your "reasons"?

Sad isn't it. This is why:

My opinion isn't truth. Halo being an unrealistic game is the truth. No opinion about it. All fact.

What the hell is the bolded about?

You're holding onto your opinion and judging my opinion before it's even out of my mouth. I'm asking you to forget your opinion and open your mind for a second.\

Seriously, do you understand that your telling me my opinion is bad without even hearing it is, by its very own nature, ignorant? (Ignorant: not knowing something). You are forming an opinion about my standpoint before you know what it is. You know my premise, and that is it, and don't be ignorant and say that you only need to know the premise. If that was the case, then there would be no such thing as an argument. You'd say your premise, and I'd say mine, and we'd be done....without either person having been convinced either way. Do you realize how ridiculous that is?

(And yes Gui_PT, I am working on it presently, or will in a moment.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom