• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course there are. Maybe not mechanics wise like shooting a gun but there are many high level strategies. We could teach flag juggling. It would be amazing.

Flag juggling? Walk over flag, you can no longer drop it, we also put flag indicators on you to tell the enemies where to throw randy nades at.

Fin

What a good tutorial.

Chettlar

Banned
Campaign/Firefight is all the tutorial you need to figure out Halo. Trial by fire in matchmaking.

Add a Big Ben skull that throws a customizable timer (stopwatch or countdown) on screen for the speedrunner community that got fucked over by the last game.

There are so many cool skulls you could add in Halo. So fun to find, and they really add a cool dynamic to how Halo plays.

Campaign (and firefight for that matter) being what teaches you how to play the game is what I have been saying.

I don't think completely optional things like tutorials for the more complicated things in Halo that one might not know (like, I had no idea how to crouch jump...I still might not exactly).

However, Campaign is where this should happen. Again, like the Rayman example, it ought to teach you how to play the game. Good games do that.

Halo CE taught you how to quickly adjust how you fight and control space by introducing two enemies that fought very differently from one another -- flood and covenant. It was an excellent design mechanic, imo. For one, suddenly changing to flood and not knowing how to effectively fight them made them so much more scary. Once I started getting used to them, the campaign took a turn where now you have both enemies, and it made for a delicious blend that I don't see in a whole lot of games.

I was talking with a guy about Metro: Last Light. Sort of a spoiler, but the game basically is super linear and coddling near the start, then suddenly drops you, and you have to use what you've learned up to that point to make it through. That really makes me want to play M:LL now, because I want to see if it was done well like CE.

Good games teach you how to play them. Viva Pinata is another game that teaches you how to play it extremely well. My main issue with Halo's teaching you is that certain guns and tactics you never learn. Again, the AR simply isn't taught, and it ought to be.

Brutes need to be refined, for example. When coming up against a bunch of brutes, all I normally need to do is throw in a grenade and start spraying AR bullets everywhere. Like I said before, if the AR ought to be used with burst fire fashion of firing, doesn't it then seem counter intuitive to let me be able to effectively make it through a Normal and even Heroic campaign just emptying my clip every time I come to an enemy? I think it's actually somewhat harmful, because then when you get into multiplayer, it's not going to work (well, except sometimes it does; just not very well at all).

Why else do you think we have AR rushe/beat downs?

One of the great things about Halo is it's trial and error approach. Learning how to best strategize about how to get through a situation, I think, is one of it's greatest points. I think that using weapons badly should be discouraged. Doing badly should not be encouraged in Campaign, as I believe they are with enemies like Brutes. I was pretty much stuck with using the AR wrong for quite a while because, hey, it was working, so it never occured to me to change my approach.

Campaign should be the tutorial that teaches you to use it's weapons and tactics through very subtle means. Simply provide feedback to the player that encourages him to develope a better playing strategy. Halo often does this better than many other games, but I feel like it could improve on somethings, like the AR example.

Also this:

Same thing has been said about fighting games for years, but when KI introduced the Dojo Mode and detailed fighting game mechanics, fans loved it. Whether you've been playing FPS's for your entire life or just started with Halo 5, something like this could be beneficial. Needed by you and me? No. But could it help with the majority of Halo's fanbase? Absolutely.

Things like power weapon/power-up/vehicle/etc. spawn timers. Advanced techniques like backpack reloading (343 pls), crouch+jump when you hit a slope to gain momentum, the list goes on.

Yeah maybe when it comes down to just pressing the R/L Triggers at things.. Doesn't teach you diddly squat if you want to get better at multiplayer and in fact, could worsen your aiming since AI movement patterns are much different than a player's.

EDIT: megapost. :(

BigShow36

Theres nothing in Halo complicated enough to demand a tutorial, bring doubleshots or quick reloads or bxrs back and maybe that would demand it. Everything else is basic FPS genre.

If the game was more skill-based, there would be plenty of opportunity for tutorials. Lets use CE as an example, and lets go even further and leave out the glitches.

Just off the top of my head, here's a list of useful tutorials:

Basic Controls
Basic Kill Times of Weapons
Basics of Damage (Health and Shields, Shielded vs. Unshielded, Headshots vs. body shots)
Strafing (Basics/Advanced)
Spawn Basics
Leading Shots
Grenading Weapons and Powerups
Timing Power Items
Basic Teamwork
Vehicle Tactics (both driving and defending against vehicles)
Advanced Weapon/Powerup Tactics (Quick Camo, Plasma vs. Overshield, Overshield Invincibility, Weapon Juggling)
Advanced Movement (Crouch Jumping, Crouch Falling, Slide Jumping, Duck Strafe)
Advanced Grenade Tactics (Pre-nading, Nade-jumping, Nade-Launching, Bank Shots, Using Angles to Time Grenade Detonation)
Advanced Spawn Tactics
Advanced Team Tactics

Tashi finally got laid, eh?

facundo.jpg

Sony giving away 2 free maps for Killzone SF. Let's do the same for the next Halo.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=752033

Good for them, the muiltiplayer is still black hole of halo feelings

If the game was more skill-based, there would be plenty of opportunity for tutorials. Lets use CE as an example, and lets go even further and leave out the glitches.

Basic Controls
Basics of Damage (Health and Shields, Shielded vs. Unshielded, Headshots vs. body shots)
Spawn Basics
Leading Shots
Timing Power Items
Basic Teamwork
Advanced Weapon/Powerup Tactics (Quick Camo, Plasma vs. Overshield, Overshield Invincibility, Weapon Juggling)
Advanced Grenade Tactics (Pre-nading, Nade-jumping, Nade-Launching, Bank Shots, Using Angles to Time Grenade Detonation)
Advanced Spawn Tactics
Advanced Team Tactics

Fire juices.

Chettlar

Banned

Basic Controls
Spawn Basics
Leading Shots
Timing Power Items
Basic Teamwork
Advanced Spawn Tactics
Advanced Team Tactics

Exactly.

And the thing is, even if these things are often things people should know from shooters, specifically learning how to do so more effectively -- especially as pertains to Halo -- could be very effective.

I still think that Campaign should still do what I talked about in the post above, but I would be all for this as well.

Sony giving away 2 free maps for Killzone SF. Let's do the same for the next Halo.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=752033

...I thought they said all the maps were going to be free for KZ:SF.

Yeah maybe when it comes down to just pressing the R/L Triggers at things.. Doesn't teach you diddly squat if you want to get better at multiplayer and in fact, could worsen your aiming since AI movement patterns are much different than a player's.
This may be one explanation as to why I suck in multiplayer.

This is reasonable that campaign and firefight, teach you the basics's of game play, and the matchmaking is more sort of laissez faire, attitude to helping the player. That said if button combo's did return, a little guide thing in the menu wouldn't hurt anyone.
The new Arkham game has a combat trainer that teaches you basic combat button combos outside of the campaign and makes you earn trophies for stringing certain combos together. It's meant for players that are new to the franchise and, even though I've played them all, it's still a fun addition to mess around with. I wouldn't be opposed to something like that added, but there are plenty of other, far more important details that 343 needs to get right about the next Halo.

wish lists are fun, though.

Chettlar

Banned
wish lists are fun, though.

I'm probably the only person in the world who loves reading wishlists, especially HaloGAF wishlists.

Plus HaloGAF often has great ideas, which is why I wanted to be a part of it.

---

So I've this picture that I want to use as an avatar, but it needs resizing (maybe some side cropping). Somebody mind helping me with that? I'll post it or PM or whatever if somebody offers.

Thanks. :)

It's doesn't look bad but I'm on the fence about the design of these guy's:

They look cool, but I just can't put my finger on it with them.

I think it's the weird councillor elite / triceratops frill combined with a humanoid head. Everything with those big head frills in the past have had longer faces, from the Elites to the Alien Queen to the aforementioned Triceratops, even in nature.

I really wish they were called Vecs. It sounds more calculated and "manufactured" compared to "vex," which just sounds like your typical pissy enemy race that hates everyone.

Chettlar

Banned
Halo is now French, apparantly.

I had a friend who has a reletive in France who sent him a video of Halo with Masterchief talking in French.

It was so weird, but I liked it.

I think Masterchief should have a French mustache.

Mistel

Banned
I think it's the weird councillor elite / triceratops frill combined with a humanoid head. Everything with those big head frills in the past have had longer faces, from the Elites to the Alien Queen to the aforementioned Triceratops, even in nature.

I really wish they were called Vecs. It sounds more calculated and "manufactured" compared to "vex," which just sounds like your typical pissy enemy race that hates everyone.
Vex is a basic robotic's kit maybe it's a reference? I agree with the frill thing it just look's odd attached to their tiny head (in comparison). I wonder how it were looked if they where bigger in size?

At the risk of sounding a bit stupid what's duck strafing?

belushy

Banned
Hypothetical question, how pissed would you guys be if 343 made a game were you play Master Chief but in an ODST style, because his armor is malfunctioning or they take away his armor completely(still without seeing his face; reflections would just show your face completely darkened except for maybe John's eyes)?

Hmm, if they make a CGB this time around, I could see that giving them less incentive to release the maps for free.

"If you want to play the maps outside of MM, search for Custom Games." Still not ideal, but I could see it become a reality.

Hypothetical question, how pissed would you guys be if 343 made a game were you play Master Chief but in an ODST style, because his armor is malfunctioning or they take away his armor completely(still without seeing his face; reflections would just show your face completely darkened except for maybe John's eyes)?

Pissed? it could a gold mine of forerunner lore

I'm probably the only person in the world who loves reading wishlists, especially HaloGAF wishlists.

Plus HaloGAF often has great ideas, which is why I wanted to be a part of it.

---

So I've this picture that I want to use as an avatar, but it needs resizing (maybe some side cropping). Somebody mind helping me with that? I'll post it or PM or whatever if somebody offers.

Thanks. :)

Sure, I can but it'll be after work, about 9 hours from now.

Nice to see HaloGAF getting along. Wish I could post more but we started a new project at work and I can't GAF near as much.

EDIT: Forgot, here's a podcast you might enjoy Chettlar: http://keithburgun.net/game-design-theory-podcast/ I don't agree with everything (very strict definition of a "game") but they have an interesting perspective about game design.

Incorporating crouches into the strafe. Particularly effective in CE to throw off headshots.

You have to pause for a second in order to crouch in CE, not while moving. In Halo 4 you could crouch while strafing, so it's more effective there actually.

I'll have to test it out later, but I thought that was the case last time I played.
Nice to see HaloGAF getting along. Wish I could post more but we started a new project at work and I can't GAF near as much.

STFU
NKNOWN

St. FUNKNOWN
-- I can save us all.

Chettlar

Banned
Sure, I can but it'll be after work, about 9 hours from now.

EDIT: Forgot, here's a podcast you might enjoy Chettlar: http://keithburgun.net/game-design-theory-podcast/ I don't agree with everything (very strict definition of a "game") but they have an interesting perspective about game design.

Your awesome. Thanks for the link as well.

Picture's kind weird, but then I'm weird myself, so whatever.

It'll probably need a bit of cropping on the sides and be scaled down.

tumblr_mzd70u5gNJ1tpmzlxo1_400.png

You have to pause for a second in order to crouch in CE, not while moving. In Halo 4 you could crouch while strafing, so it's more effective there actually.

I'll have to test it out later, but I thought that was the case last time I played.

STFU
NKNOWN

St. FUNKNOWN
-- I can save us all.

Controls should always be fluid, I think. It's annoying when I have to stop doing one thing in order to do another. Kills flow, and that's always annoying.

Has anybody ever noticed this in menus in games as well? So like, menus often have these fancy animations when they come up right? Cute, and I have no problem with that. The problem is when I have to wait for the menu animation, even if it's a matter of milliseconds, to do what I want.

I put like a billion hours into Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise, and then when I went back to the Original Viva Pinata on PC, one of the things that I noticed was how much worse the menus flowed, even though they're practically the same in arrangement and functionality.

I just press X, hit the analog stick where I want it and press A before the menu barely has time to come up, and I have what I want. In the original, I had to wait until it showed up. I know what I want because I've been doing this for hours and hours; let me go at the speed I want!

BigShow36

Strafing Tutorial:

We are sorry at this time this feature has been removed to defend the casuals. Thank you for watching.

Fin.

Which is why I used CE as an example, with the qualification that a more skillful Halo game could have some useful tutorials.

Later Halo games would have two:

Movement - Don't bother
Teamwork - Teamshot is everything

Microsoft 'denies' Halo movie rumors:

As always, we have many projects in the works that offer us the opportunity to bring in new audiences to the franchise, as we did in the past with Halo Legends and Halo: Forward Unto Dawn.

We plan to continue telling the Halo story through innovative channels, but there are no plans for a Halo motion picture at this time.

However, it simply seems they are denying its a feature film, not that the project itself exists. I guess the new question is if this is "Halo TV", or perhaps another separate project akin to Forward Unto Dawn.

TheOddOne

Microsoft 'denies' Halo movie rumors:

However, it simply seems they are denying its a feature film, not that the project itself exists. I guess the new question is if this is "Halo TV", or perhaps another separate project akin to Forward Unto Dawn.
Interestingly the two names that popped up with the rumor―Ridley Scott and Paul Scheuring―are both working on the mini-series Klondike. It looks they might have a long-term contract to work together on different types of projects. The Klondike production is the first mini-series produced in cooperation with The Discovery Channel. So they could be looking into producing projects for other venues, like for example a digital mini-series.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Being able to crouch while moving was a good addition to Halo 4. It made going back to old games feel weird. I didn't even know I couldn't do it in past games until I went back.

Edit : And just to be clear, I mean going into a crouch while moving.

Mistel

Banned
For Strafing to be even really relevant again they need to reduce the aim assist and auto aim.
Would anniversary settings with the ability to crouch whilst moving, be a good starting point for such reduction of aim assist and auto aim?
How did forward unto dawn do view's wise?

Would anniversary settings with the ability to crouch whilst moving, be a good starting point for such reduction of aim assist and auto aim?

CE would be the best starting point for everything involved with the first-person shoot-bang of Halo (shooting mechanics, FOV, grenades, etc.). Halo 2 would be a good starting point for movement and maps. Halo 3 for vehicles. ODST for Firefight. Reach and Halo 4 for what not to do.

Also, did Reach's Anniversary playlists make any adjustments to the aim assist? I thought they just tweaked the bloom, movement settings and added Power-ups.

Interestingly the two names that popped up with the rumor―Ridley Scott and Paul Scheuring―are both working on the mini-series Klondike. It looks they might have a long-term contract to work together on different types of projects. The Klondike production is the first mini-series produced in cooperation with The Discovery Channel. So they could be looking into producing projects for other venues, like for example a digital mini-series.

Interesting.

How did forward unto dawn do view's wise?

I don't know if numbers were ever released, but I believe Frankie said it did better than expected?

Shoutouts to Xbox one build quality!

RIP

There have been no issues with my Xbox One. I'm sorry you got a faulty console. :(

Contact Microsoft, they should not only send you a new one, but also give you a free digital copy of either Zoo Tycoon, Forza Motorsport 5, Ryse, or Dead Rising 3 for you to play in the mean-time.

BigShow36

Also, did Reach's Anniversary playlists make any adjustments to the aim assist?

No.

Halo developers don't even acknowledge that aiming skill is something that should enter into game balance, much less alter it in their games. Plus, reducing the aim assist would obviously make the game less fun.

Mistel

Banned
Interesting.
I don't know if numbers were ever released, but I believe Frankie said it did better than expected?
Youtube view's give you this when plotted on a graph:
untitled6faqg.png

So it started high and declined following the first episode remaining consistent for the last 3 more or less.
graph value source
CE would be the best starting point for everything involved with the first-person shoot-bang of Halo (shooting mechanics, FOV, grenades, etc.). Halo 2 would be a good starting point for movement and maps. Halo 3 for vehicles. ODST for Firefight. Reach and Halo 4 for what not to do.

Also, did Reach's Anniversary playlists make any adjustments to the aim assist? I thought they just tweaked the bloom, movement settings and added Power-ups.
Anniversary didn't affect aim assist if i recall correctly. I wonder how hard it would be to base the game on CE core game play, with the addition's you suggested. It sound's nice in theory, to take the best element's of the previous games and actually improve upon them.

TheOddOne

Youtube view's give you this when plotted on a graph:
untitled6faqg.png

So it started high and declined following the first episode remaining consistent for the last 3 more or less.
Means it did decent, huge dropoff at the beginning but it remained stable after that. Not too suprising, it is the same deal with normal tv shows:

jbtxNP5JzEyRco.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom