• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess:
Admiral Cole, 343 Guilty Spark, and wherever the Forerunners ran off to. Boom.
If it weren't for the fact about each piece of fiction mattering I'd say you're completely wrong. There will likely be some feedback into something for 5, although I'm not sure what the timeline is like for the Traviss stuff, feels largely before Halo 4, considering how it is the early days of Jul's rise.
Was it not initially though Sentzke died?
Not badly written really, but equally not unexpected and a bit obvious. It is nice to get insight into the behaviour of the flash clones though, I'd be interested in understanding more of how they work, how much they know and how etc.

Chettlar

Banned
In all honesty, voice commands are really productive and really effective, and from my use of them on the Xbox One, they're much better than any other form of control, assuming the voice recognition actually works.

This is not always true though. It depends.

Say, if I have a disk in the drive, and I'm in the main menu, it's quicker to just press A and launch it than to say "Xbox, Launch Halo: the Return of Cortana."

However, if I'm in the main menu, and I want to watch a movie, it's much quicker to say "Xbox, Watch [or is it "launch"?] Star Wars: Episode VII" than to search through menus.

Basically, if you are one or two menus away, it's much faster to use your controller. If you have to dig deep or search for something, then it's easier to use your voice.

It's exactly the same as clicking an item with on your desktop with your mouse, or pressing Windows Key and typing. They work best if they supplement each other.

I want to see voice controls implemented in Forge for quick mockups.

"Xbox, spawn Bridge Wall, Large. Team color red."

"Xbox, Respawn Point, delete all of these."

"Xbox, move piece at X 0.00, Y 7.5, Z 4.5 to X 10.00, Y 7.5, Z 4.5."

"Xbox, spawn Fusion Coil at Red Flag Capture Plate; quantity 3, Object Color Brown, respawn time Never."

I mean, there'd be zero point, but it'd be fun to screw around with.

Chettlar

Banned

"Xbox, spawn Fusion Coil at Red Flag Capture Plate; quantity 3, Object Color Brown, respawn time Never."

So, basically mostly for things you would type if using a PC (search for this, enter these coordinates).

I can dig that, since, if I paid for a more expensive console so I could get Kinect, then I don't want to have to pay for a chat pad as well.

That's not necessarily me speaking though, since I have my 360 connected to my monitor, so I can just use my keyboard, but whatever.

belushy

Banned

Just having "Xbox, delete (insert anything here)." would be so helpful in forge.

IHaveIce

Banned
trust us. it feels like halo. Have you guys played that new call of duty? everyone at the office is playing that new call of duty.

Yeah, you know what I miss? Teases. I mean I would not fall for hype, but this silence is so bad.
I also know it is most likely Microsoft saying "Titanfall has to gain all the attention for now"

But damn I miss even tweets like "Holy shit what I saw at the office today was amazing, can't wait to share it with you guys", "We just did an 1v1 tournament with CONFIDENTIAL, so inteeeense", "I think I fell in love with a new weapon"

those stuff is no news, but nice to see. Hell by recent goings you could argue they don't even work on anything or aren't even close to showing anything.

Chettlar

Banned
Argh, so at random moments like this morning I'll suddenly get all hype and my mind will start racing and I'll think about what new exciting things could happen in Halo 5, and then I get all depressed because it'll probably just be a disappointment and nothing can get me excited for it no matter what.

I'm pretty sure I'm suffering from Hype Syndrome.

EDIT:
Unsubstantiated or Starving
Hype Syndrome.

Is it not true?

Yeah, you know what I miss? Teases. I mean I would not fall for hype, but this silence is so bad.
I also know it is most likely Microsoft saying "Titanfall has to gain all the attention for now"

But damn I miss even tweets like "Holy shit what I saw at the office today was amazing, can't wait to share it with you guys", "We just did an 1v1 tournament with CONFIDENTIAL, so inteeeense", "I think I fell in love with a new weapon"

those stuff is no news, but nice to see. Hell by recent goings you could argue they don't even work on anything or aren't even close to showing anything.

They are being so guarded because they know this is their last chance for a lot of people.

Argh, so at random moments like this morning I'll suddenly get all hype and my mind will start racing and I'll think about what new exciting things could happen in Halo 5, and then I get all depressed because it'll probably just be a disappointment and nothing can get me excited for it no matter what.

I'm pretty sure I'm suffering from Hype Syndrome.

EDIT:
Unsubstantiated or Starving
Hype Syndrome.

The hype will die down when they start releasing things and we see that its just more Halo 4 garbage.

Chettlar

Banned
They are being so guarded because they know this is their last chance for a lot of people.

I was about to say that they should be open about getting to their roots and things, but then I released that, ya know, hey, even if they do go right back to their roots, people are still going to find some way that it didn't really go back to the roots, and start shitting on it worse than 4.

Still, I wish they'd say a little bit more than just some concept art.

If you tell me more about Hambuger guns.
You're alright kid.

Heh, don't make me.

lol

And plus...that put a really weird image in my head. It's not your fault, since it's mostly because I'm weird like that, but still....lol

Basically something about a guy holding another guy who, while sobbing, is struggling to communicate something about "Hamburger Guns."

until it deletes exactly what you don't want, which is exactly what would happen.

If your xbox detects a "FUCK" within 5 seconds of the last voice command, it undoes it.

EDIT: Couldn't resist.

ibcmRifaTUkxgb.png

Chettlar

Banned
If your xbox detects a "FUCK" within 5 seconds of the last voice command, it undoes it.

EDIT: Couldn't resist.

ibcmRifaTUkxgb.png

I'll take two please.

I hate to nitpick, but you forgot the most important part:

See, in the example, the hamburger gun was either super powerful or either super not powerful, so you should either put the power at high...or just put a bunch of ????? there. Also, BK-SPEC should be McSPEC

At any rate, this is still amazing. I'm still laughing.

After this and being called cheddar several times, I almost feel compelled to give the guy in my avatar a hamburger and a block of cheddar cheese.

Fuchsdh

I actually really enjoyed that. The father's desperation reminded me of the movie Prisoners (which is excellent by the way). I really enjoy the insight into these families of flash clones. Seems like a great foundation for the story.

I've asctually never really wondered about the process of the kidnapping until this story. I doubt they all went down like this, because it would be pretty suspicious if everyone was missing their kid for a similar period of time and all. The Halo 4 commercial suggests they just nabbed and swapped John when he was sleeping. I wonder how many different ways they had to swipe the kids, and what exactly they were 'based' on--the intimation in Mortal Dictata is that Naomi prolly had a DNA sample taken at school some time ago and that was used to create her flash clone, hence why she doesn't remember the doll house.

Chettlar

Banned
I've asctually never really wondered about the process of the kidnapping until this story. I doubt they all went down like this, because it would be pretty suspicious if everyone was missing their kid for a similar period of time and all. The Halo 4 commercial suggests they just nabbed and swapped John when he was sleeping. I wonder how many different ways they had to swipe the kids, and what exactly they were 'based' on--the intimation in Mortal Dictata is that Naomi prolly had a DNA sample taken at school some time ago and that was used to create her flash clone, hence why she doesn't remember the doll house.

A movie or full book about this (unless this Dictator...Dick and tatas... or...I dont' know...whatever if that book thing is about that) would be really cool. It could follow the lives of several future Spartans, their lives as kids during a war with insurrectionists, and how each kid got kidnapped (each in a different way).

Ora

Banned

Yeah they didn't all go down this way, but I like the set up for this. I'm sold on the fathers revenge plot already. This will be great in expanding on the dark side of the Spartan program and finally showing us how destructive it was to certain families.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah they didn't all go down this way, but I like the set up for this. I'm sold on the fathers revenge plot already. This will be great in expanding on the dark side of the Spartan program and finally showing us how destructive it was to certain families.
In one of the halo legends in the homecoming, it showed how the flash clones were engineered to die after a certain time. That seems quite dark already as it is.

In one of the halo legends in the homecoming, it showed how the flash clones were engineered to die after a certain time. That seems quite dark already as it is.

Originally they weren't engineered at all, it was just what happened to flash clones. Why kidnap the originals at all if you could just flash clone a perfect copy anyway? Hell, find the ones that aren't fucked by the augmentations and make more, and have a John 117 for each platoon.

Very irritating.

EDIT: Irritating because I swear they tried to retcon the flash clone flaws to be intentional in Glasslands at some point.

Fuchsdh

Originally they weren't engineered at all, it was just what happened to flash clones. Why kidnap the originals at all if you could just flash clone a perfect copy anyway? Hell, find the ones that aren't fucked by the augmentations and make more, and have a John 117 for each platoon.

Very irritating.

EDIT: Irritating because I swear they tried to retcon the flash clone flaws to be intentional in Glasslands at some point.

I think you're misremembering. In Glasslands Parangosky gives Halsey some grief, but I think that was more essentially because Halsey saw the risks but went ahead, possibly without fully informing superiors that the clones would die off. But yeah they weren't engineered to die.

Ora

Banned

Yeah it's dark already, I guess what I am saying is they've made it more personal now, which is great in my opinion. Seeing how it personally affected and destroyed these families will be nice to see fleshed out finally.

Very irritating.

One of the video game story threads last week had someone pointing out the UNSC was totally misusing their capabilities. If you can develop human-level intelligence programs and fit them on SD card-sized chips, why not just manufacture a billion-strong army of rudimentary dumb AI soldiers in barebones mechanical suits? It'd cut down on resources, having to account for human vulnerability and reflex times, rations, etc.

I guess the Didact kind of tried this with his new Prometheans, but in the absolute dumbest way possible.

I think you're misremembering. In Glasslands Parangosky gives Halsey some grief, but I think that was more essentially because Halsey saw the risks but went ahead, possibly without fully informing superiors that the clones would die off. But yeah they weren't engineered to die.

Hm, I think you're right. Still some inconsistency with the flash cloning attitudes with the Kilo Five stuff, though.

Edit: Oh, dumb AI, NVM.

One of the video game story threads last week had someone pointing out the UNSC was totally misusing their capabilities. If you can develop human-level intelligence programs and fit them on SD card-sized chips, why not just manufacture a billion-strong army of rudimentary dumb AI soldiers in barebones mechanical suits? It'd cut down on resources, having to account for human vulnerability and reflex times, rations, etc.

I guess the Didact kind of tried this with his new Prometheans, but in the absolute dumbest way possible.

I believe that same post called Halo shit. or one of their other posts in the thread.

Mistel

Banned
I believe that same post called Halo shit. or one of their other posts in the thread.
I think I found them UNSC ineffective and stupidity of the Spartan programs:
That's not fair. In several ways, the 1970's Earth military forces were in fact quite superior to the UNSC.
And this one:

The Spartan program was dumb, though. This is a civilization capable of building superhuman AI into a chip the size of a micro-SD card, they honestly should have been building huge armies of robots 50x more combat effective than a regular marine. They don't need expensive microfusion reactors, they don't need shields, they just need big guns strapped to a robot body. I guarantee you that a computer can react faster than any human can, even one with enhanced reflexes. You know what would run as fast as a Spartan? The suit of fucking armor by itself, without a human inside. It's already doing all of the work for the Spartan anyway, now you can just strap extra batteries and thicker armor on instead of having a human. Oh, and instead of a stupid human shape, you can make it mostly square to be more efficient. In fact there is no reason for it to look anything like a human, or to even have legs most of the time. You can have some of them with legs in case you need to navigate that kind of terrain, but honestly most of the time it's not necessary.

In fact why am I even calling it an armor suit. It should just be an autonomous 4 wheeler with a fucking autocannon on top. Then you can have a smaller version with a beefy fucking HMG on top instead of an assault rifle that can go inside and ruin covenant infantry. The lore goes on about how damn expensive all of the Spartans, you could get thousands of these vehicles for the price of one spartan. Real wars can't be fought by a tiny number of supersoldiers, it's fictional nonsense. The Spartan program's efficacy is based solely on it being designed to be a 13 year old boy's power fantasy of being a demigod in superarmor.

Hm, I think you're right. Still some inconsistency with the flash cloning attitudes with the Kilo Five stuff, though.

Edit: Oh, dumb AI, NVM.
The engineered thing must have came from how many different versions of cloning there is. I must have got confused sorry.

Chettlar

Banned
For quality criticism you need to at least respect the source material.

If the criticism is valid, the criticism is valid, no matter how guy stumbled on it.

Halo really is full of holes when you think about it. The guys criticism are accurate.

But yes, what Prinz said, it isn't as if ever other game in the world has similar problems.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom