• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

Might be pointless but I found a MUCH cooler way to launch my PC games, only slightly Halo related.

jVadpfCV1keXd.jpg

Now all it needs is Oculus support.....

Chettlar

Banned
You guys are so dumb and don't make any sense.

Might be pointless but I found a MUCH cooler way to launch my PC games, only slightly Halo related.

jVadpfCV1keXd.jpg

Now all it needs is Oculus support.....

Put Oculus support and EAX 5.0 support and I will play it.

aslo it msut suppot opengl 2.5 or i not play it. and have suppot for ps3 racnig weeel ori not play it. also be agood game or inot play it.

Chettlar

Banned
Funknown....

My post was a response to her, so of course I know she's right there. The question was directed at her if she wanted to answer.

I literally went blank and couldn't remember anybody's name so I just did the one I was responding to.

I'm dumb I know. This was probably established long ago.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tashi you're going to love this Bnet thread...

qj7RhYp.jpg

Also this was posted over at Waypoint: RicochetHub

Sucks that he feels that way. I wish he would elaborate on what he doesn't like. That would actually be helpful.

edit: Tyson Green and Lars Bakken in this Bungie podcast episode?! BRB plugging in my headphones.

Madness

Lol, the problem with Halo is the dwindling but still hopeful/loyal community? The only problem with Halo is the games, and how every release is considered worse than the last.

I can't tell if you're joking... That's Laura Dern, obviously someone had a terrible childhood not watching a pretty famous movie.
lol.
Tashi you're going to love this Bnet thread...

qj7RhYp.jpg

Also this was posted over at Waypoint: RicochetHub

I agree with #1 to an extent. The community up until Halo 4's release were all over the place with what they wanted out of Halo and how to describe it. I've mentioned this before but the fact that so many people were demanding a BR nerf in Halo 3 is proof enough that many people don't understand how to 1) describe what they really want and/or 2) know what's best for Halo that could benefit all players while essentially hurting no single group of players ("casual" vs "hardcore").

Halo 4's launch pretty much united many players in wanting "classic" Halo and thanks to an overwhelming number of detailed posts/videos/
perks
, many of those who weren't able to articulate their desires latched onto these ideas that describe what Halo once was.

Nebula

I have a question for some people. Not that anyone can really give me a definite answer on this but whatever.

I feel as though Jet Pack returned in Halo 4 because of how much use it saw on Halo Reach. 343 probably saw the stats and noticed it saw massive use, but they also saw the feedback on how OP it was and made it 'less effective' than it's Reach counterpart.

Was this to avoid some sort of community backlash or did 343 genuinely believe that they could make a Jet Pack work? By community backlash, I mean over the Jet Pack not even making it into Halo 4, so they felt they had to have it because of how much use it saw in Reach.

Fuchsdh

lol.

I agree with #1 to an extent. The community up until Halo 4's release were all over the place with what they wanted out of Halo and how to describe it. I've mentioned this before but the fact that so many people were demanding a BR nerf in Halo 3 is proof enough that many people don't understand how to 1) describe what they really want and/or 2) know what's best for Halo that could benefit all players while essentially hurting no single group of players ("casual" vs "hardcore").

Halo 4's launch pretty much united many players in wanting "classic" Halo and thanks to an overwhelming number of detailed posts/videos/
perks
, many of those who weren't able to articulate their desires latched onto these ideas that describe what Halo once was.

Well, I don't really blame "the community" in that regard. Trying to please the Halo fanbase is akin to putting your faith in Ryan's Great Chain of Industry that everyone fighting for their style of Halo somehow produces the superior game. I do think you have a point that fundamentally what interested a lot of people about Halo has been articulated in response to changes they didn't like in Halo 4 though.

Well, I don't really blame "the community" in that regard. Trying to please the Halo fanbase is akin to putting your faith in Ryan's Great Chain of Industry that everyone fighting for their style of Halo somehow produces the superior game. I do think you have a point that fundamentally what interested a lot of people about Halo has been articulated in response to changes they didn't like in Halo 4 though.

did all of the changes 343 made attract enough people that stayed with the series to offset the amount of people that left because Halo 4 added garbage to the multiplayer?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Oh damn. Traviss is back! Book starts with the "drama" of a parent that gets the child kidnapped. Obviously it starts with the clones. And here it is, after two books, still she feels the necessity of "halsey bashing".
So we have books before that justify halsey, now she is condemned. Before innies were bad (because they were terrorists who killed civilians, differently from UNSC), now they are family fathers, who become insurrections because of Halsey.

When will she understand that there is more than Halsey?

I feel like Traviss is getting away from canon already.

I like how traviss tries justifying a terrorist, yet makes Halsey out to be the bad guy. Lols

It is clear to me already the direction this is headed, even though I figured this is how it would go. Shes making it seem like this program was unfathomably evil, which, in turn, makes Halsey evil. I do enjoy the perspective from the parent, as it adds human emotion, but we get it Traviss...you hate the Spartan program and all Halsey stands for.

The anti-Traviss idiots are out in force already.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
so they're idiots because they dont believe the sun shines outta her ass like her fans do?

No, they are idiots because they think 343 are paying a writer that is deliberately "ruining" Halo and everyone is turning a blind eye to the author's multipltude of "crimes" against Halo canon.

I'm not the author's biggest fan either, but jesus, she's a paid writer - she writes the story she's told to write.

No, they are idiots because they think 343 are paying a writer that is deliberately "ruining" Halo and everyone is turning a blind eye to the author's multipltude of "crimes" against Halo canon.

I'm not the author's biggest fan either, but jesus, she's a paid writer - she writes the story she's told to write.

Traviss DOES happen to have a habit of putting her personal feelings about a subject into her paid work.

in Star Wars, she made it a point to say that all force users were wrong, amoral, thought only of themselves and were evil.

In Gears 3, well look at the damn writing for that game.

Woorloog

Banned
Traviss DOES happen to have a habit of putting her personal feelings about a subject into her paid work.

in Star Wars, she made it a point to say that all force users were wrong, amoral, thought only of themselves and were evil.

Travis writes well, her text is flowing but her characters are just voicing her own opinions. She writes way too one-sidedly about things. Her Jedi agree with their opponents anti-Jedi sentiment... just like Halsey agrees with anti-Halsey people in K5 trilogy.

I do have a bit of an issue with forge maps in Halo 4. More and more forge maps are being played in matchmaking, and while a good chunk of them play better than some of the base and even DLC Halo 4 maps, they are so boring to play on because they are all color toned to look the same.

I can only take so many light gray passageways before I get sick of it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

That's your opinion. I'm well read of her work on Star Wars and Halo and more than happy to disagree.

You're attached to hating on this author and you can't seem to separate her work from her as a person and think anywhere where her own opinions and that her character's fall in line reinforces this delusional theory she's interfering with her characters and twisting them to suit her own message.

It's stupid. Besides, half of the folks criticising her wouldn't be half as critical if she was man. Half of her haters are petty dumb shit sexists idiots. It's really hard to side with such folks.

Chettlar

Banned
Whoa, hey that was a joke guys.

Stupid sarcasm detector. Sorry. I thought the "rats" communicated that. :/

Plus...that's a pretty poor insult if I had intended it to be, since it also includes me in it...

I don't blame them either because that would be assuming that Bungie ever listened to their fanbase and understood the better gameplay decisions for Halo. Actions have proved otherwise, just like 343 continued with Halo 4.

Active Camo being an AA is proof that we aren't being listened to. It's not some conspiracy theory or some lame anger, fact is that not one single person on this wonderful Earth wanted Camo back as an AA, especially over a Powerup. We all know 343 consists of some great people, but truth is those PR spins are pretty crazy sometimes..

words everywhere

Damnit Chatter..

Ghazi

Whoa, hey that was a joke guys.

Stupid sarcasm detector. Sorry. I thought the "rats" communicated that. :/

Plus...that's a pretty poor insult if I had intended it to be, since it also includes me in it...

It's difficult to convey emotions over the internet, and like you said it's still a pretty distasteful insult/joke anyway. No biggy, just try to avoid language/jokes like that in your post.

Live and learn!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
All this Mortal Dictata talk reminds me that I should be reading A Feast For Crows. Ugh I'm so behind.

That's your opinion. I'm well read of her work on Star Wars and Halo and more than happy to disagree.

You're attached to hating on this author and you can't seem to separate her work from her as a person and think anywhere where her own opinions and that her character's fall in line reinforces this delusional theory she's interfering with her characters and twisting them to suit her own message.

It's stupid. Besides, half of the folks criticising her wouldn't be half as critical if she was man. Half of her haters are petty dumb shit sexists idiots. It's really hard to side with such folks.

What.

You calling out all criticisms of Traviss as being misguided or completely unsupportable as a stance is no better than the "anti-Traviss idiots" you're calling out.

Fuchsdh

Travis writes well, her text is flowing but her characters are just voicing her own opinions. She writes way too one-sidedly about things. Her Jedi agree with their opponents anti-Jedi sentiment... just like Halsey agrees with anti-Halsey people in K5 trilogy.

You do realize that Halsey has agreed with the "anti-Halsey" people since she was written by Eric Nylund and decided to go rogue back in First Strike, right?

Angels and ministers of grace, defend us...

wwm0nkey

I just don't really like her style but yes the stories she has been stuck with are very bland and I don't think Nylund would even be able to save them.

I have only read her Republic Commando novels but I really enjoyed all of them. She gave a more military-esque focus to the Clone Wars, which was sorely needed in comparison to most other Clone Wars era books.

The only "Jedi Bashing" that she participated in was pointing out the hypocracy that should have been front and center. The Jedi try to be 100% morally awesome, yet are abducting children at a young age to be indoctrinated into their religion? The Jedi claim to be peace-seekers yet are constantly waging war and fighting battles?

I say this as a huge Star Wars fan that the only truly wrong thing she did with her Republic Commando books was trying to nail down the Three million clones number presented in AOTC. It was such a headache reading through those parts of the stories.

Her Gears of War books are okay. Nothing great, but certainly not bad. She tends to personalize the characters(namely Marcus, Dom, Baird, and Cole) in ways that do not seem consistent with the games, but overall I have no qualms with her there.

Even with her Halo books I really cannot argue much. I dislike how she pushed Fred and co to the back burner in Glasslands, but I understand. I wish she would include older Spartans and more established characters in her books but her new characters are okay. She isn't Nylund, but she catches a lot more flak than she should.

Ora

Banned
What threw me off with Travis was going straight from Ghosts of Onyx to her books. The style change was jarring, as were the internal monologues.

Chettlar

Banned
Come on Chet Ubetcha you know better than that

Yeah, I should have.

That was an obvious joke, jeez you guys do deserve to be called dumb.
This post is a joke too, idiots.

Yeah, I wish people would think for a moment, but emotions are definitely hard to read.

Well the last page was awkward...

I have to agree. Any page that begins with milkshake scopes is bound to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom