• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaggedSac

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I figured WP and Jen Taylor fans would be happy about this:

http://msftnerd.tumblr.com/post/73494553819/cortana

What turns Cortana on

"Bing Tell Me .."
“.. will it rain today?”
“.. when’s my next meeting?”
“.. how do I get to the American Airlines Arena?”

Cortana will be voiced by Jen Taylor & will launch first in beta on Lumia this April for US developers.
The service will expand to the Bing app for iPhone in the US market this fall. The underlying technology will be extended to American Xbox One & Windows users in 2015 with Threshold. Availability in additional English-speaking territories will be spread out over 2015 & 2016.

The speech recognition improvements have started to ship already in the Bing Translator app for Windows.

Happy new year!

Credit to brotkasten for this from the WP thread.

halo-mega-bloks-quad-walker-97263-unsc-oni-reap-x.jpg

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS

I don't get these 'Reap X' vehicles, lol:

Is it something Mega Bloks is making up, or is it canon from 343?

Subtle, but I could see it.

Mistel

Banned
I don't get these 'Reap X' vehicles, lol:
Is it something Mega Bloks is making up, or is it canon from 343?
It was created to allow more set's to come from the licencing agreement:
we even applied a UNSC prototyping branch called REAP-X to give us the flexibility to create new pieces so that Mega Bloks fans weren't constrained by the status quo.
This might seem a bit personal but, what is is like working at the Carnegie museum?

monome

Most of the designs look fine in CGI scenes. In-game though they look too washed out and fugly.

343i is cooking too much stuff at the same time.

I understand that when you intend to sell toys/books/comics/Tv series in addition to games, you need a perspective on design that has to be broad.

The notion of of big, expansive Halo Universe is ... a lie.

343i is rushing its design decisions to meet deadlines and be able to support a wide array of products.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I figured WP and Jen Taylor fans would be happy about this:

http://msftnerd.tumblr.com/post/73494553819/cortana

Credit to brotkasten for this from the WP thread.
HOLY SHIT YES.

Seriously voice commands on Xbox spoiled me. I never want to touch things again, seem so counter productive. Can't wait to just leave my phone in my pocked while walking and say "Bing, call my Mother, put on speaker" and never have to pull out my phone.

Also Jen Taylor. Really hope she talks in Cortana's voice. :)

Also I think there are better ways to make players learn the game rather than making the game easier for them. Tutorials, training modes, training playlists and closer skill matchmaking. How about you create obstacle courses for each map that teaches you specific jumps and sightlines. Jump on this box, shoot this target here, throw a grenade off of this wall. Give points for speed and accuracy, attach a leader board, add multiple difficulties. Grab this flag, run here, jump here.

Nice podcast.

Agree with above.

HOLY SHIT YES.

Seriously voice commands on Xbox spoiled me. I never want to touch things again, seem so counter productive. Can't wait to just leave my phone in my pocked while walking and say "Bing, call my Mother, put on speaker" and never have to pull out my phone.

I never know whether to cry or laugh everytime you post.

But you do entertain me with your naivety. Carry on.

I just want to mention how bad that update bulletin was.

"we played swat BTB wiith you guys! it was fun! BUY OUR BOOK, BUY OUR FAKE LEGOS"

(Insert picture of frankie and kiki and microsoft higherups milking a cow with a Master Chief helmet on)

monome

I just want to mention how bad that update bulletin was.

"we played swat BTB wiith you guys! it was fun! BUY OUR BOOK, BUY OUR FAKE LEGOS"

(Insert picture of frankie and kiki and microsoft higherups milking a cow with a Master Chief helmet on)

The Forerunners designed the Halos to be opened for business 24/7.

Omni

I haven't read a bulletin in months. Well, fully anyway. I liked it when bsangel wrote them

Can't believe they're actually serious with that Mortal Dictata cover. It's awful.

actually. it fits right in with how I expect that book to turn out. Can't wait to read 400 pages of Halsey hating and clones are bad on tuesday

HOLY SHIT YES.

This is a joke right? Please tell me its a joke.

HOLY SHIT YES.

wow

Chettlar

Banned
I'm a journalism major, and I work at an NPR station at my university. It's pretty rad.

I know at least three people going into journalism or marketing (which is often a part of the journalism school), like, my brother.

I still don't know what I want to major it. I'd love to major in game design, but I've never actually found a school that has a good course for it. My brother tried at one school and was literally responsible, as a student, for rewriting the course. It was that bad, and this was at the largest non-public college in the state.

I'm also interested in film as well, and film schools are significantly more refined.

But then that is super expensive. :(

Isn't it Naomi's helmet? I can't even remember.

Anyone know what's up with the iTunes version of the book? Just noticed that it still says it is expected to be released on the 1st of Feb. Not going to bother getting it from there if I have to wait longer than everyone else
https://itunes.apple.com/au/book/mortal-dictata/id677498126?mt=11

It has to be her, she is on the mission
of capturing her own father

Welp, kids are more and more comfortable of using tablets and sticks instead of buttons and pads.

crackshot-500x278.jpg

It was created to allow more set's to come from the licencing agreement:

This might seem a bit personal but, what is is like working at the Carnegie museum?

I was going to post that quote since I was the one Stinkles was talking to... that's some epic lurking if you found it yourself.

I never know whether to cry or laugh everytime you post.

But you do entertain me with your naivety. Carry on.

Curious guys, why would you assume I'm joking or being naive?

In all honesty, voice commands are really productive and really effective, and from my use of them on the Xbox One, they're much better than any other form of control, assuming the voice recognition actually works. It's a lot faster, and it allows for better multitasking, and I honestly don't see a downfall.

I'm serious when I saw this, since November I don't know where my TV remote is. I don't need it anymore. Saying Xbox One simply turns everything on, and I can just "Xbox, Volume Up/Down/Mute" to do that.

Overall, the entire "always listening" system worms better than the "wait 5 seconds, hold a button down, then speak" system most phones have right now. It's really nice to just be able to say "Bing, _____" and perform a task while your phone stays in your pocket, and you continue walking, writing, working, whatever.

Also, add a little extra excitement just cause, you know, I like Halo and it's codenamed after Halo's Cortana and it's officially being voiced by the real Cortana now (which, when this leaked months ago, I even said on WindowsPhoneGAF that I would love for Jen Taylor to voice this)

But then again, your talking to a guy who plans to buy a Smartwatch and GoogleGlass this year, so overall I just get excited for new technology anyways.

So the new Halo Bulletin has a small thing on Mortal Dictata. The last part of it is a bit interesting.

In Halo: Mortal Dictata, the Covenant War is over but hatred, guilt, and devotion endure beyond the grave. The Office of Naval Intelligence faces old grievances rising again to threaten Earth. The angry, bitter colonies, still with scores to settle from the insurrection put on hold for thirty years, now want justice -- and so does a man whose life was torn apart by ONI when his daughter was abducted for the SPARTAN-II program. Black ops squad Kilo-Five find their loyalties tested beyond breaking point when the father of their Spartan comrade, still searching for the truth about her disappearance, prepares to glass Earth's cities to get an answer. How far will Kilo-Five go to stop him? And will he be able to live with the truth when he finds it? The painful answer lies with a man long dead, and a conscience that still survives in the most unlikely, undiscovered place.

My guess:
Admiral Cole, 343 Guilty Spark, and wherever the Forerunners ran off to. Boom.

Curious guys, why would you assume I'm joking or being naive?

In all honesty, voice commands are really productive and really effective, and from my use of them on the Xbox One, they're much better than any other form of control, assuming the voice recognition actually works. It's a lot faster, and it allows for better multitasking, and I honestly don't see a downfall.

I'm serious when I saw this, since November I don't know where my TV remote is. I don't need it anymore. Saying Xbox One simply turns everything on, and I can just "Xbox, Volume Up/Down/Mute" to do that.

Overall, the entire "always listening" system worms better than the "wait 5 seconds, hold a button down, then speak" system most phones have right now. It's really nice to just be able to say "Bing, _____" and perform a task while your phone stays in your pocket, and you continue walking, writing, working, whatever.

Also, add a little extra excitement just cause, you know, I like Halo and it's codenamed after Halo's Cortana and it's officially being voiced by the real Cortana now (which, when this leaked months ago, I even said on WindowsPhoneGAF that I would love for Jen Taylor to voice this)

But then again, your talking to a guy who plans to buy a Smartwatch and GoogleGlass this year, so overall I just get excited for new technology anyways.

And yet this is 60% of the problem. It's not faster if you have to give the command 3 times for it to get through. The other 40% is that it's faster for repetitive actions to press a button than say that action every time. Click click click instead of "XBOX next list, XBOX next list, XBOX next list," which is why I start netflix (on my with 360) with Kinect, but then switch to a controller to actually browse most of the time.

The problem with phones in particular is that they're always with you and if they are always listening there's way more opportunity for error. You're going to end up accidentally binging all kinds of shit during the day.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Working on the show notes for HaloGAF Radio Episode 18. So far for news I've got Mortal Dictata and Team Slayer Season 1 coming to close next week. I haven't read any of the Karen Traviss novels I don't really think I could hold on a conversation about that. However, there's a lot of meat in the Team Slayer Top 200 stuff.

Any other news? I won't be recording until the weekend or early next week so we might get good news until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom